AVS Forum banner
122K views 375 replies 136 participants last post by  bigrig 
#1 ·
Hello All,

Any Yamaha "AVENTAGE" RX-A730 or RX-A830 owner out there?

See less See more
#340 ·
#342 · (Edited)
Yamaha AVR displays Decoder Off in the first 5 mins after standby recently

Hi!

I got a Yamaha RX-A830 using HDMI with a laptop for about 3 years now (see my signature). All was good with it until recently (2 weeks):
- I wake up the laptop from sleep
- it auto wakes up the AVR via network (wired) and sets it into the proper mode via network
- start playing something with winamp, aimp (PCM source): there's no sound but only in the first 5 minutes or so, AVR displays:
-- Decoder Off
- in minutes (let's say 2) AVR sometimes gets proper signal and plays the sound but on-and-off (meaning it drops the signal in second(s))
- after around 5 minutes it's finally find it perfectly and there's no more issues with it until the next wake up from standby :D

It just drives me mad.
Can it be that the decoder/HDMI chip is dying????? :mad: That's the only thing I could come up with, because it doesn't make sense otherwise, it's like it needs to heat up to get the handshake/signal.

Please note that:
- there's no software change on the laptop, the modes I use with the AVR are come from a batch scriopt from the laptop (so always the same settings are used)
- I don't have any other hdmi device to try it with

Thanks for your input! :)

#344 · (Edited)
I'm sending it back in warranty.
They couldn't do anything with it, so it will be swapped to a refurbished RX-A860. I hope it will be fine and all the networking functionality will remain the same (e.g. can setup everything via web browser).
Probably the settings backup file - that I created from RX-A830 - can't be uploaded to the "new" one. :(

Edit: it was swapped to an RX-A870, with a 130 overpay.

#345 ·
Help eval my 1990s era audio gear - yamaha + epos es12 speakers, misconfigured?

I know almost nothing about audio gear. What I have should sound better than it does, I'm trying to figure out why.

era 1990:
Yamaha RX-730RS receiver
Yamaha KX-W602 cassette deck
Yamaha CDC-705 cd player
era 1999
Epos ES12 bookshelf speakers

When I turn the volume up, it sounds ok but the bass seems to be MIA. When I bought the speakers they sounded great in the store but never really measured up at home. They are old but have been lightly used; stored for half of their lives. There are four jacks on the back of each speaker (treble/bass) but the cables end up going into only two connections (the type where you press on a plastic tab and insert the wire tip) on the receiver; that must be normal? The speaker wires are good quality (tend to get oily over time, strange plastic), are not very long, and were provisioned for me by the store that sold the speakers.

What I'm focusing on now is the sound. Is it possible that the speakers are not hooked up correctly, with the four wire for each speaker going into just two clips on the back of the RX-730RS?

I'm trying to figure out if this gear is just too old to fiddle with and if I should start over. I know new equipment has a lot of more digital era features, I'm not sure I need any of that. I listen to all kinds of music. Possibly I just need a subwoofer; I've never had one other than the type that are integrated into a computer speaker set.

#346 ·
I know almost nothing about audio gear. What I have should sound better than it does, I'm trying to figure out why.

era 1990:
Yamaha RX-730RS receiver
Yamaha KX-W602 cassette deck
Yamaha CDC-705 cd player
era 1999
Epos ES12 bookshelf speakers

When I turn the volume up, it sounds ok but the bass seems to be MIA. When I bought the speakers they sounded great in the store but never really measured up at home. They are old but have been lightly used; stored for half of their lives. There are four jacks on the back of each speaker (treble/bass) but the cables end up going into only two connections (the type where you press on a plastic tab and insert the wire tip) on the receiver; that must be normal? The speaker wires are good quality (tend to get oily over time, strange plastic), are not very long, and were provisioned for me by the store that sold the speakers.

What I'm focusing on now is the sound. Is it possible that the speakers are not hooked up correctly, with the four wire for each speaker going into just two clips on the back of the RX-730RS?

I'm trying to figure out if this gear is just too old to fiddle with and if I should start over. I know new equipment has a lot of more digital era features, I'm not sure I need any of that. I listen to all kinds of music. Possibly I just need a subwoofer; I've never had one other than the type that are integrated into a computer speaker set.
I can think of two possibilities: the speakers' woofers aren't actually making a connection to the receiver or your room's acoustics are different from the showroom. The latter is quite common.

You might try changing where the speakers' audio is combined. That might help.

Many speakers are designed with two separate pairs of connections: one pair for the high frequency driver(s) and the other pair for the woofer. Apparently that's what you have. Usually they come with their own jumpers so you can fasten the two speaker connections together at the speakers themselves. You might want to consider installing a short jumper wire at the speaker. In other words, change that connection so it's done at the speakers instead of at the receiver. I.e. have only one pair of wires plugged into the receiver, putting less stress on its spring-clips and (hopefully) making a better connection.

Unfortunately, if the problem is caused by the room's acoustics (which I suspect is more likely), the best fix is to spend more money and get a separate subwoofer to augment the low frequency output of speakers' woofers. Because of how bass frequencies interact with a room's boundaries, the speaker position which produces the best bass is not the position which produces the best stereo separation. You can get much better bass at your main listening position by placing a subwoofer at some appropriate location in the room. That position is different in differently shaped rooms.

#347 ·
Thanks for the reply. Each speaker cable is singular - inside must be four wires, because there are four plugs that go into the treble pair and the bass pair on the back of the speaker, and at the receiver end, the two black wires are the two red wires are twisted together. So each speaker uses only two clips. You said that it'd be better to combine near the speaker, but I'm guessing that improvement would be subtle.

I unplugged the treble from the speakers and they still worked so the bass is connected.

These speaker are well regarded, correct?

If I got a subwoofer, would it be wired in as a regular speaker? There must be a way to deal with the fact that the subwoofer is a single speaker not a pair...wouldn't make sense to send it only one side.

The other main question I have is - looking at the gear I have now, are they a mismatch? If I spend $2000 or so on new equipment, would I come out far ahead of my current setup? Or are these older components basically still pretty good, and a subwoofer would fill the gap?

I wonder why my post got moved to a thread that does not seem to be about any of my components? It'd make more sense if there was a forum for overall audio setup, instead of having to post in a component forum like speaker vs amp. My question is about the combination of units, and about all of the units.

#348 ·
Thanks for the reply. Each speaker cable is singular - inside must be four wires, because there are four plugs that go into the treble pair and the bass pair on the back of the speaker, and at the receiver end, the two black wires are the two red wires are twisted together. So each speaker uses only two clips. You said that it'd be better to combine near the speaker, but I'm guessing that improvement would be subtle.
I was primarily thinking about having to run additional speaker cables and/or forcing the spring-clips farther open than they're intended to be. If multiple wires are already in a common cable, that's essentially irrelevant.
I unplugged the treble from the speakers and they still worked so the bass is connected.
OK
These speaker are well regarded, correct?
I was unfamiliar with them, so I did a Web search and found a review published by Stereophile. It looks like those speakers have a dramatic falloff in frequency response below about 60 Hz, which would explain your problem with them and the need for an accompanying subwoofer. See https://www.stereophile.com/content/epos-es12-loudspeaker-measurements

If I got a subwoofer, would it be wired in as a regular speaker?
It would be wired either in parallel or in series with both of your speakers, depending on the design of the subwoofer.
There must be a way to deal with the fact that the subwoofer is a single speaker not a pair...wouldn't make sense to send it only one side.
Since your receiver doesn't have a separate subwoofer output, you'd need to get one of those subwoofers which include their own bass management and which include "speaker level" connections for both left and right speaker cables. In stereo (and multichannel) recordings the bass frequencies often differ between the two channels, which is why both L&R connections are needed. The L&R signals get merged by the subwoofer. Such subwoofers are quite common, but often are more expensive than those which are designed to only be connected to the single subwoofer output of a multichannel receiver. (Multichannel receivers do the work of combining the bass frequencies of all of their individual audio channels into that single output.)

HSU and SVS are examples of well regarded and cost effective "intenet direct" subwoofer sales companies. There are many others.
The other main question I have is - looking at the gear I have now, are they a mismatch? If I spend $2000 or so on new equipment, would I come out far ahead of my current setup? Or are these older components basically still pretty good, and a subwoofer would fill the gap?
I have the impression that your audio equipment is fine, although it lacks some of the features provided in multichannel devices.

Speakers and room acoustics have the most influence on the quality of the sound you hear. Electronics are a distant third, although the room equalization software provided in many modern receivers can compensate for some audio problems. The old rule of thumb, that you should spend twice as much on speakers as on electronics, still holds true.
I wonder why my post got moved to a thread that does not seem to be about any of my components? It'd make more sense if there was a forum for overall audio setup, instead of having to post in a component forum like speaker vs amp. My question is about the combination of units, and about all of the units.
Sorry, I dunno.

#351 ·
Can individual speaker levels be set for the different “scenes”

Wondering if diff speaker levels can be set for each “scene” memory. For instance, when I hit the net scene and my music comes on in DDOLII music, if I inrease the rear speaker levels, and then save it-will those levels be maintained for only that scene or will they also be saved for the Blu ray scene?

#352 ·
I'm trying to add 2 speakers to my desktop on top of my existing 5.1 arrangement for the home theater. Is it possible to do this with the A730? My understanding is the Zone 2 outputs I thought I could use will only allow analog sources, and I couldn't use the subwoofer from the 5.1 arrangement. Basically I don't need to be able to control the zones independently, rather just interested in using the 5.1 setup to listen to the home theater or the 2.1 setup (subwoofer plus 2 speakers) to listen at my desk. Reading through the documentation it doesn't seem there is a configuration for this, but maybe there is a simple solution I'm missing.

Thanks

#354 ·
Help Yamaha Settings- New Speakers

I have been doing lots of research but still not completely happy w my new setup...

I just replaced my old Energy Take Classic 5.1 speaker system with the following:

Klipsch RP-280F, RP-450C, RP-250S and R-112SW. I have all of these hooked up as well as the sub from the Take system (running 2 subs) to my old Yamaha RX-A730 receiver.

The issue I’m having is a pretty weak mid range sound when listening to music.

When I run YPAO it sets all my speakers to large but that doesn’t seem right (or align w most of what I’ve read).

From what I’ve read, it seems the vast majority of people recommend setting all the speakers to small and crossover set to 80 but it just doesn’t sound full to me. For the YPAO I’ve tried all the eq settings and decided that “natural” seems to give me better mid range vs “flat”.

To try to compensate, I have adjusted the tone control all the way to -6 treb and +6 bass and it helps but that seems kinda crazy to have to do. I’ve also messed with setting the fronts only to large and using extra bass setting (this does help a bit) but again, from what I’ve read this seems to be discouraged.

Am i missing something? Any recommendations?

I just dropped a bunch of money on these speakers and at low levels my Sonos speakers sound better at this point. I’m frustrated....

Any help is appreciated, thanks and happy holidays to all!

#355 · (Edited)
Help Yamaha Settings- New Speakers

First off remove the energy take “subwoofer”, it is probably neutering the bass from the klipsch sub.
Multiple subs is a good thing but they all need to be good, preferably the same because different subs can be very hard to get to play well together.

How is the placement, if close to wall that will muddy things up.

Speakers do need a while when brand new to not sound horrible, some as played in some at factory but not all are. But they should be fine after 30mins even if many need more for the last bit.

Are you sure you measure correctly, there are many ways to get it wrong like holding the mic.

#358 ·
Problem with my AVR(?) outputing to my subwoofers

Hi All,

I hope this is the right forum and thread category. I have a problem with both of my subwoofers and/or my AVR.

My AVR model is the Yamaha RX-A830. I have a Polk PSW505 and SVS PB-2000. And if it helps, I purchased these items at or around mid-year 2014. Here is my issue(s):

1. About a year ago, the sound stopped coming from my AVR to my Polk (although the back light shows it on). No big deal as I thought maybe the Polk's plate amp blew or something faulty happened and the Polk was now a paper weight and I will just use the SVS, which I greatly adore.

2. Last night, my SVS did the same thing (front blue light is lit), so I have neither sub working. It obviously was working perfect prior to this.

My question to you all is what/where could the issue be? I have already tried to replace the RCA cable with a new one with zero luck. Is it possible that both my subs have blown their amps? Could it be the subwoofer output jacks on my AVR? Someone please help! Thank you in advance.:)

#359 ·
With each sub powered on an RCA cable connected to each of them, rub your finger over the tip of the open end of the cable. Hear static from the sub? If yes, then not likely a sub issue and more likely an issue with the AVR sub pre-outs. Refer to the AVR's Owner's manual and reset the microprocessor to try and resolve the sub pre-out issue.

#360 ·
Have you tried hooking the subwoofers directly up to a cd/bluray player and seeing if the woofer responds? Plug the white end into the audio L and the red into the audio R. Yellow is video. Just leave that unplugged. It will not sound great but at least you can determine if the subwoofers are the problem or the AVR. Turn the subwoofer volume down all the way at first and up as needed for testing purposes. You can always try hooking a volt meter up to the subwoofer out on the AVR . Not sure what reading would be correct for a Yamaha AVR.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

#362 · (Edited)
Have you tried hooking the subwoofers directly up to a cd/bluray player and seeing if the woofer responds? Plug the white end into the audio L and the red into the audio R. Yellow is video. Just leave that unplugged. It will not sound great but at least you can determine if the subwoofers are the problem or the AVR. Turn the subwoofer volume down all the way at first and up as needed for testing purposes. You can always try hooking a volt meter up to the subwoofer out on the AVR . Not sure what reading would be correct for a Yamaha AVR.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I just tried this with my Spectrum cable box using the Analog Audio out port. I hope I attempted this properly. Still no sound on the SVS. (I did not attempt this on the Polk, just fyi, but I assume I will get the same result.) :mad:

#367 ·
Thank you for this suggestion. I do have a couple friends that live nearby and I can see this weekend if/when their schedule permits to letting me test the Polk at their houses. With this Corona thing and all, I might have to do the Best Buy purchase/return. Again, greatly appreciative of all your help!

#372 ·
Hi y'all,

since there doesn't seem to be an RX-A820 thread on AVS I thought I'd try here, since the 820 and 830 seems to be almost identical, sans a few features.

As some of you may know there's a simple way to operate and set up these receivers via web interface by simply typing in the receiver's IP address in a web browser. And by adding "/setup" you get even more parameters to play with. The GUI may not be pretty, but if you're a geek (and well, you're here, aren't you?! :)) you'll probably want to at least try it.

For those of you who already know this feature well, I have a question: under the "Volume" menu there's a collapsible sub-menu called "Memory". Opening this gives you (at least on the 820) six different memory banks to store .... well, what, exactly? It looks like this (image attached):

Attachments

#373 ·
Yamaha Receiver RX-A830 Issue

Hello
I dont know if this is the correct forum for this but Ill try.
My Yamaha receiver will not play sound but will eventually work(usually) after some time. I have it hooked up to an apple tv for most of my viewing. I had it working yesterday. Id goto tone test, leave it on that to circulate through each speaker and eventually it would work.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? This will be my 2nd yamaha in less than 8 years or so. I just try to turn on the radio, that doesn't work, i thought it might've been some issue being connected wrong to the apple tv or something, but this sounds more like a short or something.
thanks for any advice
And if I have to buy another receiver, which i will, this will be a diverse answer(my high end audio store believes in yamaha, so far i have 2 that have broken) what would be the best brand? I just want it to last and Id rather spend money on speakers

thanks

#374 ·
Yamaha Receivers - Zone 2 Audio

Hi,

Newbie here, so if this post fits somewhere more appropriate, please redirect me....

I have a 2 zone setup with my home audio system. I use a Yamaha RX-A730 receiver to power a 5.1 setup in my living room and zone 2, which is my two outdoor speakers. My outdoor speakers are AW6500's.

I am trying to understand how to maximize the volume in my zone 2 speakers. I use Apple Airplay to play Apple music via my Zone 2 speakers. Therefore, my phone acts as my remote, using my iphone to adjust the volume, change songs, etc.

The sound is great, it just seems to max out and its not that loud. Not sure if this is the amount of power the receiver can push via Zone 2 speakers.

I checked the "Max Volume" option under the Setup Menu to make sure I wasn't limiting the volume. Its set to allow for maximum volume. I also tried turning off the main zone (5.1) and I didn't notice any difference.

Any ideas?

#376 ·
Hi all - does Spotify still work on the RX-A730? Situation is receiver is updated to latest firmware (1.93), gets an IP address from the network, Pandora works but Spotify does not, the receiver doesn't show up in the list of devices available. I tried setting the IP address and DNS servers manually, still no luck. Do I need to start playing around with opening ports in the router next?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.