"Official" Emotiva UMC-200 Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 64Likes

post #901 of 915 Old 03-24-2019, 07:27 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post
Just want owners to know, once I switched to a 4K TV, the 200 gets a NO SIGNAL, until I upgraded firmware from 47 to 52. At least now able to connect.
Is there a list anywhere that shows what fixes/features/changes are in each firmware release? I'm still running the original firmware (need to check what version). I don't have any issues currently, so not sure I want to go through the update process or risk any issues. Does updating the firmware mean you need to redo all the configuration from scratch, or does it retain the setup? If EmoQ is improved in 52, that would be worth it for me, but I'd really like to know everything that is in the newer versions.

The only "information" I see on Emotiva is this singular post, which doesn't really provide any information: http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/t...c-200-firmware

Is there any way to roll back if you experience issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 915 Old 03-24-2019, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
Is there any way to roll back if you experience issues?
Excellent question and I don't know.

Am in the school of, don't fix unless broken. People is been known to brick stuff with faulty firmware updates. New firmware are not always BETTER than what you already have, as u agree with me based on your question.

Like I stated on my original post firmware 47 (my prior) gave me a non-signal on my 4K TV, so basically I had no choice but try the 52 firmware. If I had no problem, I would had left it alone. 52 seems OK to me.
post #903 of 915 Old 03-24-2019, 12:51 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Excellent question and I don't know.

Am in the school of, don't fix unless broken. People is been known to brick stuff with faulty firmware updates. New firmware are not always BETTER than what you already have, as u agree with me based on your question.

Like I stated on my original post firmware 47 (my prior) gave me a non-signal on my 4K TV, so basically I had no choice but try the 52 firmware. If I had no problem, I would had left it alone. 52 seems OK to me.
I just checked, I'm running v52.02.47. I do see HDMI dropouts last 2 or 3 seconds very rarely during iRacing from a PC. I can't be certain whether it's the PC, Emotiva, or projector, but my guess is the Emotiva. They are very rare, but he is racing in national championships and in 24 hour team races, so dropouts are pretty catastrophic on the rare occasion they happen. Not sure whether I should update or not. I downloaded the latest 52 FW and the README notes are below. It looks like my current 47 version is the latest official release, and 52 is considered a safe beta (though there will be no versions after 52). Emotiva recommends not updating to 52 unless you have issues. I suspect (based on your comments) that 52 is a patch to better cope with 4K, so it presumably doesn't have much else feature-wise. It would be nice if they actually had release notes with each version.

Here are the readme notes from the 52 update:

* The Emotiva UMC-200 is a discontinued product, so we do NOT expect to be issuing
any further firmware updates.

* The MOST RECENT verison of the UMC-200 firmware is v52 (UMC-200_v1_520252.upg).
This is a stable beta version - and is the version we normally recommend
when updating your firmware

* The LATEST RELEASE verison of the UMC-200 firmware is v47 (UMC-200_v1_520247.upg).
This version is the latest version shipped on new UMC-200 units
(We do NOT specifically recommend updating v47 to v52
UNLESS YOU ARE EXPERIENCING PROBLEMS.)

* The UMC-200 firmware v39 (UMC-200_v1_520239.upg) is an obsolete version of the
UMC-200 firmware. It is sometimes used for diagnostic and
troubleshooting purposes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #904 of 915 Old 03-24-2019, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
I believe this is an AppleTV thing where it is sending 5.1 audio in a 7.1 wrapper, thus sending empty rear channels and negating the ability to prologic them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
after more troubleshooting and playing around, i was able to confirm that when my Apple TV 4k is sent directly to the UMC200, i still get the indication of 7 channels (+LFE) coming through for some movies, but no sound comes out of the rear channels. the only exception is Monsters, Inc.

is it possible that the Firmware on the UMC-200 isn't able to properly handle the container because it is some new "format"... on the other hand, i thought the Apple TV was simply sending uncompressed LPCM 7.1 channels when set to the best setting.

anyone else out their using an Apple TV 4k with their UMC-200? or some other 4k streaming device that sends 7.1 info and it is properly interpreted by the UMC-200?
post #905 of 915 Old 03-25-2019, 08:02 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek87 View Post
after more troubleshooting and playing around, i was able to confirm that when my Apple TV 4k is sent directly to the UMC200, i still get the indication of 7 channels (+LFE) coming through for some movies, but no sound comes out of the rear channels. the only exception is Monsters, Inc.

is it possible that the Firmware on the UMC-200 isn't able to properly handle the container because it is some new "format"... on the other hand, i thought the Apple TV was simply sending uncompressed LPCM 7.1 channels when set to the best setting.

anyone else out their using an Apple TV 4k with their UMC-200? or some other 4k streaming device that sends 7.1 info and it is properly interpreted by the UMC-200?
It's very strange that it works for Monsters Inc and not others, it is possible that whether or not it works is dependent upon the source of the content that Apple TV is pulling from rather than the individual movie? (e.g. streaming from Netflix, from Amazon, ...). The reason I ask is because the streaming boxes that also sell content sometimes screw with processing of competing content. I recall Amazon Fire reducing Netflix to 2.0 on a new model to handicap Netflix for a little while, I think they eventually rolled it back because of the uproar. Amazon/Apple are more concerned about recurring content revenue from rentals than device profits, so they sometimes handicap other sources. Seems worth testing by source to see if that is a factor. Maybe you can try Monsters Inc from another source to see if behaves the same.
post #906 of 915 Old 03-25-2019, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's very strange that it works for Monsters Inc and not others, it is possible that whether or not it works is dependent upon the source of the content that Apple TV is pulling from rather than the individual movie? (e.g. streaming from Netflix, from Amazon, ...). The reason I ask is because the streaming boxes that also sell content sometimes screw with processing of competing content. I recall Amazon Fire reducing Netflix to 2.0 on a new model to handicap Netflix for a little while, I think they eventually rolled it back because of the uproar. Amazon/Apple are more concerned about recurring content revenue from rentals than device profits, so they sometimes handicap other sources. Seems worth testing by source to see if that is a factor. Maybe you can try Monsters Inc from another source to see if behaves the same.
Good comments and worthy of a test. some late nights of work this week, so it may take me a couple of days, but i'll try to pull up Monsters, Inc via VUDU and Movies Anywhere to see what happens there.

it should be noted that i'm running the UMC-200 in direct mode, so a 5.1 LPCM stream will not divert itself in any way to the rear surround channels.

i spoke with Apple today, and they said that Star is Born (2018) only has 5.1 audio, in spite of the Apple TV sending 7.1 channels of info the the Emotiva (with the rear channels empty/silent). same same thing happens with VUDU: 7.1 one channels of LPCM sent to UMC-200, but rear surrounds are silent/empty.
post #907 of 915 Old 03-25-2019, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Random question and I expect the answer is no, but is it possible to control/adjust the EmoQ and/or parametric EQ without the HDMI display on? e.g. either from the OSD on the unit or through a computer somehow?
post #908 of 915 Old 03-30-2019, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Crazy Idea: SXV-S520 5.1 4K upgrade AV Processor

People wanting 11.2.4 whatever ATMOS stop reading.

So am in a holding pattern here, UMC200 not able to switch 4K, MC700 wo tuner I need, and XMC1 furgitaboutit, I don't need anything that fancy.

So I've seen this Pioneer SXV-S520, nice and thin, and at first glance, would make a perfect 4K 5.1 update to the UMC200, except it has no preouts and some of the reviews are horrendous, but man, the price is right and it *almost* does everything I want.

5.1 is all I need.

Last edited by MrBobb; 03-30-2019 at 07:48 PM.
post #909 of 915 Old 04-01-2019, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
People wanting 11.2.4 whatever ATMOS stop reading.

So am in a holding pattern here, UMC200 not able to switch 4K, MC700 wo tuner I need, and XMC1 furgitaboutit, I don't need anything that fancy.

So I've seen this Pioneer SXV-S520, nice and thin, and at first glance, would make a perfect 4K 5.1 update to the UMC200, except it has no preouts and some of the reviews are horrendous, but man, the price is right and it *almost* does everything I want.

5.1 is all I need.
care to share more about your system and what you are trying to accomplish? what is your 4k source?

i have the UMC-200 feeding a 7.1 system and have an Apple TV4k which only has one HDMI out. i recently solved that problem by buying an HDFury AVR-key which splits the signal from the ATV4k so that i feed the video signal to the TV (Sony 900e) and the audio signal to my UMC200. it works as advertised. a bit pricey ($149 retail, but i got it for 20% off when Monoprice had a sale) for what it does, but there isn't anything else out there that does what it does. in the end, i'm satisfied with this kludgy solution since i like the sound coming from my UMC-200 feeding my amps/speakers/etc. (i have no interest in adding Atmos speakers)
post #910 of 915 Old 04-02-2019, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek87 View Post
what you are trying to accomplish?
AVP as main switcher as God intended

I too went the route TV switches video, 200 switches audio, and my TV "ARC back" audio to the 200 no splitter needed.

It just that switching with my TCL Roku TV is a multi-button operation, the family is getting annoyed.
post #911 of 915 Old 04-02-2019, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I too went the route TV switches video, 200 switches audio, and my TV "ARC back" audio to the 200 no splitter needed.

It just that switching with my TCL Roku TV is a multi-button operation, the family is getting annoyed.
hi MrBobb: thanks for sharing. i was doing the ARC back method, but if i understood correctly, and based on my own experience, with the AppleTV, i wasn't able to ARC back via HDMI or optical output from the TV the full Dolby Digital Plus due to limitations in the ARC standard. by going with the HD Fury splitter route, i can send uncompressed LPCM data from the AppleTV to my UMC200. (of course, the original apple tv signal is lossy (DD+), but the ATV4k sends its "best audio" via LPCM

have you been able to figure out some universal remote (Harmony ,etc.) to help with these family problems

i have old URC MX-800 that does the job for making things work seamlessly for my wife and daughter. (with Macros for using the TV/Tivo, BR player, Apple TV)
post #912 of 915 Old 04-02-2019, 11:03 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

If everything is IR-based, then for $50ish, a Harmony 655 should make the operation transparent. It takes a little bit of one-time setup to configure the remote, but once that's done, it makes everything easier (probably beyond just automating the switching).

Years ago I used a Harmony remote to get many more years out of my pre-HDMI Krell HTS AVP by just adding an external HDMI switch -- literally one minute of programming on the Harmony made the external switch transparent.
post #913 of 915 Old 04-02-2019, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If everything is IR-based, then for $50ish, a Harmony 655 should make the operation transparent.
Thanks guys for trying to help. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough, but anybody knows if there are IR discrete codes for the Roku remote? Currently, very kludgy am programming my universal to go HOME - RIGHT - RIGHT - UP - ENTER etc. sync is hit or miss. What I need are the discrete codes for TV, HDMI1, HDMI2, HDMI3 etc.

As far as the ARC concerned, u probably right, haven't tried LPCM, am usually happy getting DD/DTS.
post #914 of 915 Old 04-04-2019, 06:36 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks guys for trying to help. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough, but anybody knows if there are IR discrete codes for the Roku remote? Currently, very kludgy am programming my universal to go HOME - RIGHT - RIGHT - UP - ENTER etc. sync is hit or miss. What I need are the discrete codes for TV, HDMI1, HDMI2, HDMI3 etc.
It's not quite clear to me what your current remote setup, but I think you need to use a smart remote like a Harmony to get direct input control. Most TV's do have discreet codes for direct inputs, but unless you have direct input buttons on your original TV remote to "teach" a learning universal, there's no way to get a non-smart universal to use them. The Harmony can also replace the Roku remote -- so the screen navigation you do on the Roku remote can take place on the Harmony (though you can still use the Roku for that if you prefer).
post #915 of 915 Old 06-07-2019, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Is there a MC-700 thread somewhere? I searched but didn't see one. I upgraded from the UMC-200 and can't really get everything to work right. It seems to be getting worse. Chris

Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Umc 200 7 1 Home Theater Preamp Surround Processor , Onkyo Tx Nr3008 9 2 Channel Network Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page