Moving into new house, would be grateful for any advice to steer me in the right direction... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-09-2013, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Good morning - first post, but long time lurker and I respect all of the expertise housed in this community and appreciate the advice dished out over the years. 

I am about to move into a new house built in the late 90s and am seeking advice to best utilize the infrastructure in place with what I already have without spending too much extra out of the box (gradual upgrades are ok). 

The house has:

- 2 speakers w/ impedance matching volume controls in each room

- Speakers terminate into an Adcom GFS-6 in the living room

- Each room has Cat5 data ports terminating to a switch in the basement 

I have:

- JBL mains, center and surround (will be upgraded at some point) w/ Adire sub 

- Denon 1912

- Apple TV

- Old Sony STR that could be used as an amp if needed. Or a tire block...

- A few wireless routers that I plan to turn into wired/wireless access points to make sure I have good coverage

I plan to convert some space in the basement to a dedicated theater using a (to be purchased) projector and my JBLs (for now). With a dedicated 5(or 7).1 in the basement, I don't care about surround in the living room where most of the casual TV watching will occur.

So here are my questions:

- Should/Can I use the 1912 to drive the Adcom for casual TV on primary Zone and Zone 2 for music in the other rooms (ipod, airplay, etc) and upgrade the dedicated receiver?

- Is the 1912 better off in the dedicated basement room and I get something else to power the adcom (Sony receiver w/ apple TV?)?

- Can the abundant Cat5 ports be used to better integrate everything?

I welcome all suggestions and please don't hesitate to get creative. If you were in my shoes, which are about to be somewhat poor with the new mortgage, what would you do on a tight budget (say under $2-3k including projector and screen)?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-11-2013, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

[CRICKETS]

Perhaps I left it too open ended...

Focus:

- Is there any way to utilize the access to the data ports for something more than, you know, internet?

- Can a Denon 1912 drive the Adcom without an amp?

Any advice, help, casual insult or "here's what I would do" feedback would be most appreciated.

Happy Friday. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1912 Receiver , Adcom

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page