Power Conditioner Recommendations - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 10-12-2013, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just want to know what is the best solution to connecting my receiver (Pioneer SC 25), amp (B&K AV 5000 series II), SVS PB12-Plus/2 powered sub, and all the rest of the A/V gear (60"PlasmaTV/PS3/WII/AppleTV/Blueray Payer/Sat Box) to an electrical outlet? The wall outlet is a 15 amp-110 standard outlet. I currently have APC 1500 back-up ups, a Monster HTS 1000 Power strip line conditioner as well as a "heavy duty looking" Tripp-Lite surge protector. My question is how to best use these products.
Would it matter to use 2 separate wall outlets(same circuit) or is one enough if done correctly. Would it be worthwhile investing in a stand alone power conditioner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-12-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I would put everything on the APC but the amp and use the Tripp-Lite for that and use the HTS in another room or TV.
post #3 of 14 Old 10-12-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Would it be advisable to plug the Monster into the APC and run as you described? Also when plugging into the APC would it be recommended to put the Sub and Receiver into the Back-up part or not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 10-12-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyda View Post

Would it be advisable to plug the Monster into the APC and run as you described? Also when plugging into the APC would it be recommended to put the Sub and Receiver into the Back-up part or not?
It has always been stated never plug a surge protector into another surge protector and I think it has to do with the filters not so much the surge protectors themselves.
post #5 of 14 Old 10-12-2013, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Would a Panamax or Monster full size power conditioner provide provide superior protection and leveling voltage?
post #6 of 14 Old 10-12-2013, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Would a Panamax or Monster full size power conditioner provide provide superior protection and leveling voltage?
Ilike both APC and Panamax full size AV units your choice but yes that would work but if your amps draw a lot of current you may want to look at FURMAN 20 amp series.
post #7 of 14 Old 10-12-2013, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

The Furman stuff looks pretty expensive. What will work with my gear or a couple of hundred,,,,, that's all
post #8 of 14 Old 10-14-2013, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Furman & Panamax are a merged company so products do share some capabilities.

I replaced all but 1 still functioning Monster unit with Panamax and have no regrets. IMHO, Panamax are better built products. I've had problems with 2 out of 3 Monster power centers, one lost its trigger relays and one lost functionality to 3 outlets (1 outlet had nothing plugged into it) due to their chip-controlled disconnect circuit. I will not buy another Monster Cable power-surge product again, period. My original 20A Panamax 4400 bought about 9-10 yrs ago is still working NP.

You don't have to pay MSRP for Panamax if you shop wisely wink.gif I've had good luck buying from One Call (an authorized dealer) but I know there are others with great service who are willing to come a bit off list - call on the phone wink.gif

I've looked into a lot of MOV surge protection based power center products and in the several hundred to < $1K bracket, APC, Panamax and the older Belkin PF-60 type units (I think they are still sold) all seem to be good choices.

Steve
post #9 of 14 Old 10-14-2013, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wouldn't buy a Panamax. I have a M1500 UPS that's needs service. Panamax no longer does out of warranty work and I can't find any one that will work on my Panamax either.
post #10 of 14 Old 10-14-2013, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

I have recently read that no power conditioner is the way to go. Explained further that all newer electronics are built to deal with this and that adding a power conditioner could actually degrade the harmonics from your system. So I think that I will forego this unnecessary investment.wink.gif
post #11 of 14 Old 10-14-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I have recently read that no power conditioner is the way to go. Explained further that all newer electronics are built to deal with this and that adding a power conditioner could actually degrade the harmonics from your system. So I think that I will forego this unnecessary investment.wink.gif
I would not forgo surge protection and a true power conditioner (the ones I have seen) do to the size of the coil would not fit in any of these boxes they have filters but do not actually perform as a true conditioner IMO.
post #12 of 14 Old 10-15-2013, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I own a panmax and I currently have it hooked up to my brand new Samsung PN60F8500. Are you telling me I should unplug my TV from my panmax? Damn!
Would you happen to have the link for this article referring to.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2
post #13 of 14 Old 10-15-2013, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

I've looked into a lot of MOV surge protection based power center products and in the several hundred to < $1K bracket, APC, Panamax and the older Belkin PF-60 type units (I think they are still sold) all seem to be good choices.

I agree on the Belkin units. My entire HT system, including two powered subs, has been run off a single Belkin PF-60 for a number of years. With the system going at full tilt, according to the LED display, the current draw does not go beyond 6 amps. I've compared this display with system current draw and mains voltage measurements from my Fluke meter, and it is pretty accurate. The PF-60 has a high current outlet bank for amps that has only parallel filtration, so that current draw is not restricted. I've heard no downside to using the unit.

post #14 of 14 Old 10-15-2013, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoexxl View Post

I own a panmax and I currently have it hooked up to my brand new Samsung PN60F8500. Are you telling me I should unplug my TV from my panmax? Damn!
Would you happen to have the link for this article referring to.

This video has interesting information regarding power conditioners, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyI85XOKzZ4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Apc , Monster Hts 1000 Mkiii 8 Outlet Power Center With Clean Power Stage 2 , Panamax , Furman Sound

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page