Anthem MRX Receivers - 310, 510, 710 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 137 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1554Likes

post #4081 of 5142 Old 07-31-2015, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi Nick. At what frequency do the boosts for bass and treble on the remote operate?

Also, how is the level adjustment through the level button on the top of the remote different from the adjustment that can be done from within the level calibration menuu? Which one is better for tweaking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4082 of 5142 Old 08-01-2015, 01:21 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post
Yes, region A Blu-ray discs normally use 23.976 Hz instead of 24.000 Hz though for simplicity it's often referred to as 24p.

Thanks Nick,

So this means that the MRX not only accept 23.976 Hz input, but can also output 23.976 Hz?

Sent from my iPhone

/Martin
post #4083 of 5142 Old 08-01-2015, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
watch one source listen to another

I'm interested in purchasing a 310 but I am curious if it is possible to watch one HDMI source while listening to another? My Onkyo can't do it. Some Denon models can. I looked in the manual for the MRX and didn't see anything but I thought I'd as anyway.

Thanks for the help
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4084 of 5142 Old 08-01-2015, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I would think you can do it by setting up an input with the HDMI input you want and setup the audio input to a different input.
gbreda likes this.
post #4085 of 5142 Old 08-02-2015, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
So this means that the MRX not only accept 23.976 Hz input, but can also output 23.976 Hz?
Yes, same for 29.97 and 59.94.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #4086 of 5142 Old 08-02-2015, 05:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsng View Post
Hi Nick. At what frequency do the boosts for bass and treble on the remote operate?

Also, how is the level adjustment through the level button on the top of the remote different from the adjustment that can be done from within the level calibration menuu? Which one is better for tweaking?
The amount of bass/treble boost/cut determines how close to the midrange the tone filters get. For level adjustment, the menu is for one-time system calibration and non-menu level controls are meant for temporary use if the source material needs fixing.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #4087 of 5142 Old 08-02-2015, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Cool, thanks! So this is relatively easy to do and to change back? It's not a feature I'd use a ton but it's nice to have the game on and play music at the same time when family is over...it appeases everyone.
post #4088 of 5142 Old 08-02-2015, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 37
You can create quite many inputs, so just create one for normal usage and another one for this. Input switching is, obviously, quite easy from there.

2-channel is just multichannel done badly. - Frank Derks
post #4089 of 5142 Old 08-03-2015, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2179 Post(s)
Liked: 1727
For anyone interested I have had to (unfortunately) part ways with my theater room, so my Anthem MRX710 is listed in the classifieds for someone looking for a decent deal on one.

Thanks!
post #4090 of 5142 Old 08-03-2015, 11:30 PM

Can the two MRX HDMI outputs be on at the same time?

And, can they only output the same input, or different sources?

Sent from my iPhone

/Martin
post #4091 of 5142 Old 08-07-2015, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
Anthem's approach here is smarter than most others.

A Marantz 8802's MSRP is 50% higher than a 8801's MSRP?

I'm curious, is the AVM60 a "true" prepro (a la AVM50/D2, Emotiva XMC-1, Krell, Classe, Bryston, etc.) or is it an "AVR sans amps" (a la Marantz 7702, Marantz 8802, Yamaha, Onkyo/Integra, etc.).

(The practical difference: single-chip "AVR LSI" vs. discrete electronics.)

Hi,

Sadly IMHO Integra have gone backwards by removing Audyssey XT32 and implementing LSI tech in their new 80.6.

Talk about robbing Peter to pay Paul........Surely a way could have been be found to incorporate Dolby Atmos (which I personally am not remotely interested in) without degrading other important areas.

So what if the price has to go up a small amount!!

Previous Models including my current 80.3 had a premium (true Pre/Pro) SSI analog chip design.

These are just 2 good reasons forcing Integra fans like me to now look elsewhere in future.

It seems that Integra are simply pandering to the ......."look at me with my speakers in the ceiling" HTIB crap SQ brigade.......They spend bugger all and want the world.........whinge when it sounds crap.........and the industry's solution??........give 'em even MORE crap speakers..........ooohhhh...... NOW I've got 9.2.4......

And guess what........it will STILL sound crap!!!

I will take a properly set up higher end 5.1/2 or 7.1/2 system any day!!!

Anyways.......I notice you rank the Emotiva XMC-1 quite highly?

Mind telling me why?

Please PM if too far OT.

Also wouldn't mind knowing what affordable Pre/Pro's you think I should be looking at when the time comes.

Cheers
nadyn likes this.

Last edited by linger63; 08-07-2015 at 10:56 AM.
post #4092 of 5142 Old 08-07-2015, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by linger63 View Post
Anyways.......I notice you rank the Emotiva XMC-1 quite highly?

Mind telling me why?
To clarify, I didn’t write anything pro or con about the XMC-1 or any other device in your quoted post. I merely stated that the XMC-1 is a “true” pre-pro (like the others I mentioned with it) rather than an AVR LSI based device like the forthcoming AVM60.

FWIW, between what we know of the AVM60 so far (that it’s an Anthem product incorporating ARC, is a “pre-pro” built on an AVR LSI, that it will decode Atmos and DTS:X) and the XMC-1 I’d pick the AVM60. Indeed, I don’t have an XMC-1 even though it's been out for a while.

But the AVM60 is something I’ll look at closely depending on price. OTOH, since the AVM60 is an AVR LSI based device I may just wait for the MRX mk. III devices before I think about upgrading from my current MRX. Sometimes it’s nice to have built-in amps. Though Anthem may well “310” the AVRs and force everyone who wants to go 7.1.4 to pay more for the amp-less variant.
gbreda, linger63 and nadyn like this.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 

Last edited by DS-21; 08-07-2015 at 04:47 PM. Reason: odd spacing and punctuation in last paragraph
post #4093 of 5142 Old 08-07-2015, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^ Once upon a time some said that opamp-based preamps weren't the real thing, in favour of a collection of basic transistors. Today, categorizing something based on whether its input switching and volume control happen to be on the same chip (the "AVR LSI") is to let solutions drive needs instead of the other way around. There's also nothing to stop a designer from using additional buffering externally to optimize performance where it counts - the output jack - which is what we've been doing since gen1 MRX.

post #4094 of 5142 Old 08-07-2015, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
*** Today, categorizing something based on whether its input switching and volume control happen to be on the same chip (the "AVR LSI") is to let solutions drive needs instead of the other way around. ***
The only way that's true is if the AVR LSI gives you equal or better measured analog audio performance than the current AVM/D.

If that is the case, then hats off to you. Otherwise, then it's not "solutions driving needs" but "performance driving solutions."

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #4095 of 5142 Old 08-07-2015, 11:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^ AVMs and D2vs have nothing to do with naming convention. Preamp literally means "before amp". Why should components and measurements instead of functions and simplicity decide what to call something? Is there a CEA standard or import/export code for "ampless receiver"? Should buying guides have an "ampless receiver" section, and stereo preamps be reclassified as "ampless integrated amps" when opamps are in the signal path? What about receivers and integrateds that use amp-on-a-chip, do they need a new name too?

Of course not, it's pure convolution.

Much more often, you hear AVR-as-prepro. All our AVRs have pre-outs for all channels, or ampless-receiver-outs if you prefer, and to use the term loosely the MRX 310 is our most popular "prepro", not surprisingly since most systems are 5.1.

post #4096 of 5142 Old 08-08-2015, 01:21 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just picked up my MRX-510, replacing my AVM20 as the preamp for my PVA-7. I am wondering if I can use the HDMI 2 for audio from the Oppo BDP-103 with the HDMI 1 video -> MRX HDMI 1 4k Passthrough? and how would I set that up?

-Trent
post #4097 of 5142 Old 08-08-2015, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmx269 View Post
Just picked up my MRX-510, replacing my AVM20 as the preamp for my PVA-7. I am wondering if I can use the HDMI 2 for audio from the Oppo BDP-103 with the HDMI 1 video -> MRX HDMI 1 4k Passthrough? and how would I set that up?

-Trent
For each input you set up and name in the MRX setup, you can specify the video and audio input source. For example, your video out from the Oppo to one of the HDMI inputs on the MRX. In the MRX input setup you choose which HDMI you connected the Oppo video output to on the MRX.

This is where it gets fuzzy for me...in the Oppo you are likely setting which of its 2 HDMI outs are for video and audio. Take the audio out HDMI from the Oppo and use another HDMI input on the MRX. In the setup for that input on the MRX choose HDMI as the audio source. A good place to start maybe...
post #4098 of 5142 Old 08-08-2015, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmx269 View Post
I am wondering if I can use the HDMI 2 for audio from the Oppo BDP-103
You can, but SACD output would still have to be set to PCM. Afaik HDMI2 output is primarily for sending out DSD, which our products don't accept since PCM conversions are required anyway for signal processing - production on one end and bass management / room eq etc on the other. I don't know which DSD-PCM converter the Oppo uses but have never known conversion artifacts to be an issue - the current model on AKM's site says -150 dB THD and 188 dB DR... extremely wide comfort zone.

post #4099 of 5142 Old 08-08-2015, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
^ AVMs and D2vs have nothing to do with naming convention.
Nothing I wrote had anything to do with "naming convention" either.

Quote:
Should buying guides have an "ampless receiver" section,
Actually, yes I think they should. Buyers should know when they're getting something designed from the ground up to be a pre-pro, and when they're getting something that's no different from an AVR inside, except that it's less useful because it doesn't have amplifiers built in.

Quote:
and stereo preamps be reclassified as "ampless integrated amps" when opamps are in the signal path?
Nick, I don't know why you keep throwing up these really bad arguments. Op-amps are components. An AVR LSI is a system on a chip, that incidentally has op-amps integrated inside it.

That said, a stereo preamp based on an AVR LSI should obviously be considered an ampless receiver too. I don't know of any, but I haven't followed rack-sized 2-channel gear for a while.

Quote:
What about receivers and integrateds that use amp-on-a-chip, do they need a new name too?
Again, spurious argument. An amp does one thing: take a waveform and increase its amplitude. An AVR LSI replaces circuits that do many things.
Dr. Rich identifies nine.

Quote:
Much more often, you hear AVR-as-prepro. All our AVRs have pre-outs for all channels, or ampless-receiver-outs if you prefer, and to use the term loosely the MRX 310 is our most popular "prepro", not surprisingly since most systems are 5.1.
Indeed. That's how I use my MRX, even though its internal amps are honestly just fine for my uses, and most people's uses. But it feels right to have an extra 100lbs of amp for whatever reason. And if there's a 7.1.4-channel MRX mk. III I'll probably end up using that AVR in the same way. Again, I have no objection to AVR LSI's per se.

Likewise, I don't fault Anthem for moving in the ampless AVR direction, and don't quite understand why your replies to my posts lean to the histrionic side of things. While I expect measurable performance degradation compared to elite-performance separates such as the Anthem AVM/D (and will be hugely impressed if that's not the case, because if new AVR LSI's are that good then there's no simply case remaining for discrete circuitry), but the audible differences are likely to be nil. The new one may even sound better in the real world if it has more DSP horsepower for ARC. And the price can be a lot lower. I just find it laughable that audio enthusiasts automatically equate "no amps" to higher performance, when today most A/V "prepros" are really ampless AVRs.
nadyn likes this.

--
Serious Audio Blog 

Last edited by DS-21; 08-08-2015 at 10:37 AM.
post #4100 of 5142 Old 08-08-2015, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I just replaced my 1080p Sharp with a 4K Vizio panel. My HTPC is connected to my MRX-310 and previously had no problems with the Sharp (1080p).

However, now that the Vizio (4K) is connected to the MRX, I can no longer get a stable picture from my HTPC. It keeps flipping back and forth from 4Kx2K to 1080p (on the MRX front display) and 2160p and 1080p (on the Vizio info display).

I get very brief moments (a second or two) where the image displays at 4k on the Vizio, then the MRX display flips to 1080p, back to 4k, back to 1080p etc. etc. and there is no image on the Vizio. Then a second or two of image, then wash rinse repeat.

My HTPC is connected to HDMI3 on the back panel, which the manual claims does NOT support 4K (so I was surprised to see it work at all, even for a second or two). I then connected it to HDMI1 on the MRX (which the manual claims is the only 4K compatible port), but had the same result.

I switched from Processed to Passthrough on the MRX - no difference.

When I connected the HTPC directly to the Vizio, it worked flawlessly at 4K.

For what it's worth, my HTPC is an Intel NUC (Haswell) running Windows 8.1. I tried to force it its display output to 1080p, but it ignored that and auto-set to 4k with the MRX - Vizio connection.

Also note that I have a 1080p projector connected to HDMI output 2 on the MRX. When I turn it on, predictably it forces a 1080p output from the HTPC, and I get a 1080p image on both the projector and the Vizio. However, this isn't a solution - just an observation.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

Anthem AVM-60 / Rotel RMB-1095 / Oppo UDP-203
Klipsch RF-7 II, RC-64 II, RS-62 II (5.1) / Paradigm Sub 15
post #4101 of 5142 Old 08-09-2015, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Trying to get my Western Digital (WD) media box to turn on both my MRX510 and TV at the same time using CEC but I am having some issues.

If I have my MRX510 off (turned off by remote) then turning on my WD will not turn on my MRX510.

Can someone explain this? Is the MRX510 not in standby mode when turned off via remote?

Must I have my MRX510 turned on all the time for CEC to work?

So when is the MRX510 considered to be :
1. Off
2. Standby
3. On

I am thinking that 2 and 3 are the same thing unless I am missing something? So being in standby and on is the same thing for the MRX510?
post #4102 of 5142 Old 08-09-2015, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJazz View Post
However, now that the Vizio (4K) is connected to the MRX, I can no longer get a stable picture from my HTPC. It keeps flipping back and forth from 4Kx2K to 1080p (on the MRX front display) and 2160p and 1080p (on the Vizio info display).
Update: I picked up a new HDMI cable (that claims to be "4k-compatible") this morning to see if the problem was the cable from the MRX to the TV. It didn't really help, though I was able to get maybe 15 to 20 seconds of a stable picture when the HTPC was connected to HDMI1 of the MRX. However, the image had a lot of sparkling noise in it, so it wasn't really usable.

Note again, that connecting the PC directly to the TV works great.

At any rate, I was finally able to force the HTPC to output a 1080p signal to the MRX so I have it working again. Still, I'm a little disappointed that I wasn't able to get 4K passthrough working through the MRX. Perhaps I'll play around with the HTPC output frequency a bit and see if it'll lock on to it better, though I'm a little confused as to why a direct-to-TV connection works without any fiddling around with PC settings, but with the MRX in the path I now have to experiment.

Oh well, new technology, right? ;-)

Anthem AVM-60 / Rotel RMB-1095 / Oppo UDP-203
Klipsch RF-7 II, RC-64 II, RS-62 II (5.1) / Paradigm Sub 15
post #4103 of 5142 Old 08-09-2015, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^ Another box in the chain, two more 2-way HDMI handshakes and associated timing to deal with... try 8-bit setting in the MRX menu in case it makes a difference. It could be that the HTPC is defaulting to 1080p between breaks, starting the cycle all over again.

post #4104 of 5142 Old 08-09-2015, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
Trying to get my Western Digital (WD) media box to turn on both my MRX510 and TV at the same time using CEC but I am having some issues. If I have my MRX510 off (turned off by remote) then turning on my WD will not turn on my MRX510.
In the MRX menu are all three of CEC, power off control, and power on control turned on? If yes, count another reason that some companies give CEC their own name - there's hardly a way to guarantee interoperability.

post #4105 of 5142 Old 08-09-2015, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
I have no objection to AVR LSI's ... I just find it laughable that audio enthusiasts automatically equate "no amps" to higher performance, when today most A/V "prepros" are really ampless AVRs.
There may be other differences such as separate ADCs and DACs instead of a codec or an upgraded power supply but there's still nothing wrong with ampless AVRs even with all else being equal. There are end users who want exactly this, aware that cost reduction is bound to be insignificant due to lower production, because they don't want an amp that'll only sit there and idle, and there's custom installation where any amount of heat reduction in a densely populated rack is welcomed.

post #4106 of 5142 Old 08-10-2015, 12:06 PM

@Nick - refresh rate change (1080p50Hz to 24Hz) only works ca. 50% of the time on my MRX 310, the rest of the time, the audio plays, but video is just noise. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone

/Martin
post #4107 of 5142 Old 08-10-2015, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 6
| That said, a stereo preamp based on an AVR LSI should obviously be considered an ampless receiver too. I don't know of any, but I haven't followed rack-sized 2-channel gear for a while.

It wouldn't make sense to use a chip in a use for which it is not suited.

In 2-channel audio the difference between an integrated amplifier and a pre-amplifier is whether there is a power amplifier capability and speaker-level outputs. That a pre-amp may have a similar internal implementation as an integrated amplifier from the same mfg isn't scandalous or unexpected.

In two-channel, a 'receiver' was an integrated amplifier which also included a RF tuner (hence the name).

Today a receiver means that it has a video tuner & selector.

Anyway, I use my 310 as an ampless-receiver.

In fact I think a suitably marketable product would be a receiver which had power amps only for the surround channels, leaving the most critical front 2 or 3 to be amplified separately.

I use an external 2-channel amp in 2.1 but when I get my surrounds hooked up I will use the 310's internal amplifiers, as the quality and power demands are much lower---specially in the Anthem modes which sound best to me (least alteration from stereo).
post #4108 of 5142 Old 08-11-2015, 02:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
refresh rate change (1080p50Hz to 24Hz) only works ca. 50% of the time on my MRX 310, the rest of the time, the audio plays, but video is just noise. Any ideas?
Could be anything - let tech support know source and TV model numbers, settings, steps leading to the issue etc. Also ensure that everything is running latest software.

post #4109 of 5142 Old 08-11-2015, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Could be anything - let tech support know source and TV model numbers, settings, steps leading to the issue etc. Also ensure that everything is running latest software.

I have opened a case with support.

Sent from my iPhone

/Martin
post #4110 of 5142 Old 08-11-2015, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Thought everyone here might be interested that it appears we might get an MRX720 and MRX1120 this fall or winter, with Atmos and DTS:X.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2094378-anthem-new-receiver-processor-support-dolby-atoms-dts-x.html#post36432506
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx310 , Anthem Mrx510 , Anthem Mrx710

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page