Multi chan, audio only processor - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-04-2013, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone know of any audio processors that just do audio, and still offer multi channel support?
I've been looking at lots of DACS but most the "hifi" stuff seems to be 2 channel only. Any time you get into the realm of surround sound there's always video inboard And a host of bloated features I have no need for.

I was looking for a really high quality DAC I can hook up my am/fm reciever to, HTPC, ect and just do audio passthrough or basic multi channel audio decoding if I get a media streamer box or such down the line.
My main box, htpc will do all the electronic goodies I need like room correction, and can decode all surround sound. All I need is something to take a hdmi audio input, or USB, and get it ready for an amplifier.

I'd rather do all my video on a basic hdmi switch as the flexibility is far better than most receivers for multi display setups, and none of my sources require upscaling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-04-2013, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I've been looking for the same thing and as far as I can tell, no such product (worth buying) does exactly what we are looking for. I've found products like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0NS-0005-00046

But this isn't quite sufficient.

I will probably have to just buy a receiver to last a while (though I am planning to wait for HDMI 2.0).
post #3 of 8 Old 11-04-2013, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Bryston...

Espo77's living room equipment: RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A3030- SPEAKERS: Boston Acoustics M350, M25 center, surrounds, and front heights-
BLU-RAY: Oppo BDP103D- SUBWOOFER: HSU VTF-15H MK2- dedicated circuits for A/V- TV: Vizio P55C-1
Auralex Acoustics LENRD - Auralex Acoustics Roominator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-04-2013, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 184
This is what I do... out of my computer via optical output on sound card (though it could be off motherboard is available) into my Marantz receiver which is doing DAC duties. I use J.River Media Center for surround files and Foobar 2000 for 2ch audio files though either one would be fine for both types. I set both to output WASAPI.

The lazy man finds the easiest way ... Ben Franklin

Rouge Audio Cronus Magnum II integrated amp, Goldenear Technology's Triton 2+ speakers, Schiit Bifrost Multibit Dac, Technics SL-1200MK2 turntable with Audio Technica 440ml cartridge, Teac X-1000R reel to reel, custom computer as main music source
post #5 of 8 Old 11-04-2013, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazten View Post

Anyone know of any audio processors that just do audio, and still offer multi channel support?
I've been looking at lots of DACS but most the "hifi" stuff seems to be 2 channel only. Any time you get into the realm of surround sound there's always video inboard And a host of bloated features I have no need for.

I was looking for a really high quality DAC I can hook up my am/fm reciever to, HTPC, ect and just do audio passthrough or basic multi channel audio decoding if I get a media streamer box or such down the line.
My main box, htpc will do all the electronic goodies I need like room correction, and can decode all surround sound. All I need is something to take a hdmi audio input, or USB, and get it ready for an amplifier.

I'd rather do all my video on a basic hdmi switch as the flexibility is far better than most receivers for multi display setups, and none of my sources require upscaling.

If your budget has the room, Exasound e28 may fit the bill
http://www.exasound.com/e28DAC/e28DAC.aspx

Review
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/539-exasound-e28-multichannel-usb-dac-review/

Building a multichannel DAC might be an option depending on your skills.
http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/digital/buffalo8.aspx
post #6 of 8 Old 11-05-2013, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by vzphoneman View Post

This is what I do... out of my computer via optical output on sound card (though it could be off motherboard is available) into my Marantz receiver which is doing DAC duties. I use J.River Media Center for surround files and Foobar 2000 for 2ch audio files though either one would be fine for both types. I set both to output WASAPI.

Doesn't using optical mean you are not getting lossless surround tracks? S/PDIF does not have enough bandwidth to pass uncompressed 5.1, so this doesn't really help- we might as well just buy an old pre-hdmi receiver and run an optical from the HDMI switch box to it.

To the gentleman mentioning the Bryston, I assume that the reason he asked for a multichannel audio only processor rather than a pre/pro (and the reason I am looking for such a thing) relates to price. I for one am one of the believers that just about all gear sounds the same (ignoring differences in DSP and surround processing codecs). I am looking for such a device that I don't have to spend so much money now or in the future as a major upgrade. It is easier for me to upgrade the video and audio processing separately- as I assume it is for anyone without significant savings.

The exasound mentioned also will mean that the OP and I cannot use the room correction on other sources, which for him would be radio (and I assume other surround devices), and for my purposes a PS3/4. It also does not have HDMI in, correct?, so we are back to compressed audio tracks except for USB- which is only 1 source.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-05-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Try looking up NuForce AVP-18. It only has digital inputs & audio only processor.

Vinod
post #8 of 8 Old 11-05-2013, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Nuforce Avp 18 Preamp Processor , Emotiva Umc 200 7 1 Home Theater Preamp Surround Processor , Emotiva Upa 700 Seven Channel Power Amplifier

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page