Can't turn off Denon x4000 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 12-10-2013, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello!

It seems I have done some unnecessary fiddling with the setting on my Denon x4000.

I run a sub and two front speakers through the main zone. Nothing else.

When I turn off my receiver with the remote or by pressing the bottom on the front of the receiver, I want it to turn off completely.

Instead the following happens: the light on the front stays green, and the display changes to display MAIN ZONE OFF, as if other zones where still on.

Can somebody please help we solve this problem?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-10-2013, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 300
post #3 of 15 Old 12-10-2013, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Actually managed to turn off zone 2 och 3 permanently. Now I'm wondering if there is any to make the receiver die completely without plugging it out. I'll follow your advice and ask at the other place.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 12-10-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 300
You're welcome and good luck.
post #5 of 15 Old 12-11-2013, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I had that same glitch happen to me on my X4000. To fix it, I simply unplugged the power cord from the back of the receiver for about 5 seconds and then reattached it. It worked. To make sure it didn't happen again, I made sure to turn off Zone 2 and Zone 3.
post #6 of 15 Old 12-11-2013, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 739 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22581 Post(s)
Liked: 12290
If you are only powering on Zone 1, then select the specific source on the remote rather than selecting the ON/OFF button. You also have the option of setting the remote to only be able to control Zone 1 if you never expect to control Zones 2/3 with the remote.

post #7 of 15 Old 12-12-2013, 03:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurL View Post

I had that same glitch happen to me on my X4000. To fix it, I simply unplugged the power cord from the back of the receiver for about 5 seconds and then reattached it. It worked. To make sure it didn't happen again, I made sure to turn off Zone 2 and Zone 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

If you are only powering on Zone 1, then select the specific source on the remote rather than selecting the ON/OFF button. You also have the option of setting the remote to only be able to control Zone 1 if you never expect to control Zones 2/3 with the remote.

Thanks guys!

Turning of zone 2 och 3 unfortunately made the sub go quiet! Now, only my to foronts are playing. When trying the Audyssey set up guide the sub i recognized, but no sound comes from it. It's like the sub was active in zone 2 or 3 but not in the main zone.

Any ideas how to set this up the right way for the sub to make noise again?

post #8 of 15 Old 12-12-2013, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleugg View Post

Thanks guys!

Turning of zone 2 och 3 unfortunately made the sub go quiet! Now, only my to foronts are playing. When trying the Audyssey set up guide the sub i recognized, but no sound comes from it. It's like the sub was active in zone 2 or 3 but not in the main zone.

Any ideas how to set this up the right way for the sub to make noise again?

To be precise: I want a set up where zones 2 and 3 are always of, and zone 1 is powering two fronts and one sub (regardless of input).

On the topic of the sub: I'd like the sub to be always on. Before, it just turned on when the first low sound came from the input and then it stayed on for a while and then went back to stand by mode if there came no more low sounds.

I apologize for my incompetence, hehe! 

post #9 of 15 Old 12-12-2013, 04:15 AM

Mentioned: 739 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22581 Post(s)
Liked: 12290
^^
Zones 2 and 3 have nothing to do with the sub. Rather with only a stereo setup the FL/FR speakers will default to LARGE. You can try resetting them to SMALL/80Hz or set the sub to LFE+MAIN.
post #10 of 15 Old 12-12-2013, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Zones 2 and 3 have nothing to do with the sub. Rather with only a stereo setup the FL/FR speakers will default to LARGE. You can try resetting them to SMALL/80Hz or set the sub to LFE+MAIN.

Thanks! Tried this now. Still no sound from sub. Other ideas?

post #11 of 15 Old 12-12-2013, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleugg View Post

Thanks! Tried this now. Still no sound from sub. Other ideas?

Don't know if this is of use, as things have worked previously with this set up. And oh, I found a switch to turn have the sub always on, which is what I want. Still no sound though.

post #12 of 15 Old 04-30-2014, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I had the same issue with Main zone off. The issue was that i programmed Harmony One, and then setting up everything on X-4000 with original remote and turned it finally off with this original remote. Harmony turnes on all zones, while original remote only turned off main zone. So i used Harmony and hit Power off all. This solved the issue.
post #13 of 15 Old 04-30-2014, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2176 Post(s)
Liked: 1441
Is it possible the sub is connected to sub2 on the back of the receiver?

Afro GT
post #14 of 15 Old 04-30-2014, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
My sub is connected to sub 1 and i don't have any issues, try audassey once again and follow the instructions before measurement if your problem with no sound from sub still exists.
post #15 of 15 Old 12-04-2016, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurL View Post
My apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I wanted to put this out there for future google searchers.

My receiver is an older avr-4806. For speakers, right now I only have a pair of fronts hooked up to it. I also use the fronts and the 4806 to stream music and other audio from a Sonos Connect.

I use a Harmony One to control it all.

At different times during the day yesterday I had both watched TV and streamed to music as usual. At one point I was near the receiver and gear and wanted to turn the system off, so I did it manually instead of using the remote. This is very unusual because I have to open a cabinet to access the equipment, but it's no big deal.

A few hours later I used the harmony to turn the TV on, but as I had previously turned the system off manually, I first had to tell the remote that everything was off, so that it could send the 'on' signal to the devices. Again, no biggie - I told the remote to turn everything off. Then I had it turn on the receiver, Tivo, and TV. Except this time there was no audio.

I spent the next few hours trying everything to get audio and growing extremely irritated. Through trial and error I discovered that the optical inputs were not working for any of the devices - the cd player, Tivo, Sonos. So I hooked up the Sonos using analog cables along with the optical, and told the 4806 to look for an analog signal - voila, audio! This was great because it was the first sign I had that the 4806 was still actually processing any audio at all...

However it also confused the beejeezus out of me. The only thing I could come up with was that the Zones somehow had something to do with it - because I dimly recalled something about using zones and analog connections.

More times spent trying everything: Sitting on the floor in front of the 4806, paging through multiple menus and sub-menus, over and over again. I even reset the microprocessor, which of course then required me to redo the required menu options such as assigning the optical inputs properly.

Around 1am I said screw it, bed time.

Got up in the morning, walked into the living room to see the disarray that happens when you have to pull the cabinet away from the wall to better access the tremendous range of inputs and outputs on the back of the 4806. And all the unplugged cables, remotes, batteries, etc lying around room.

About an hour later I read your comment and decided to unplug the 4806 - which had been stripped down to basics while I was troubleshooting. A few minutes later I plugged it in, grabbed the harmony and pressed the Watch TV macro. The first good sign I saw was that the receiver had some input options lit up that weren't there before, and then it clicked on. Audio! Fixed! What the!!

To sum up, optical audio suddenly and for no apparent reason stopped working. When troubleshooting somrthing like this, there are tons of red-herrings (&[email protected]^!$#).

And all I had to do was unplug the thing for a few minutes.... So I'll spend some time after a few cups of coffee putting it all back together again... <sigh>.

Thanks for your post 2 years ago though!

Last edited by Kukernan; 12-04-2016 at 05:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page