HDMI Issues STR-DN1040 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-22-2013, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello and yes, I don't really know what I'm talking about. Now that that is out of the way I can express my concern. I am about to purchase a new AVR system and the STR-DN1040 looks good. My main concern (other than it be able to play music) is the WI-FI capability. I have a STR-DN1030 already, so know how that works. But, in reading some of the reviews people have posted on amazon.com, there seem to be an inordinate number of problems with HDMI connections. Since I plan on hooking this up to my Dish Network and the Xbox One and my Samasung TV, the HDMI's are obviously a big concern.

Anyone else heard of any difficulties because I'm not seeing any posted in this discussion forum.

Thanks for any input as I'd like to avoid making a bad purchase.

Thanks

Fred
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-22-2013, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
This has become somewhat of a dilemna for more than a few consumers. The AVR unis with HDMI ports are beginning to talk about pass-thru and 3D capable. but many have found this not as straight forward as it sounds. First, no standard has yet been established for audio units handling of video signals. Lip sync, distortion are just a few problems. Manufacturers get past most of their troubles by making it real but only when using their equipment not mixed mfgrs. I use the HDTV as the audio source for any video source and the other sources, CD player, cassette or reel to reel. Most AVR units don't have the phono inputs anymore so that maybe a make or break point. Another supposed standard has been the ARC protocals but again only within the same mfgr.
mulder1949 likes this.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-22-2013, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for your words. As I sit here typing, it is freshly off the heels of my STR-DN1030 having some kind of a seizure (involving HDMI port) and being able to see television from Dish Network. Of course, it also involves my newly acquired Xbox One. I'm really starting to believe that there might be just a little too much tech out here and I for one, don't understand why it just took me five attempts at cycling power on and off to the whole show before it realized there was a TV signal again. Geesh. Why am I even thinking about getting the STR-DN1040? Am I nuts? Trust me.... I am not an electronics guru and I usually fly by the seat of my pants. So it's difficult for me to understand what could be causing what. Have a great evening! And again, thanks for your words.

Fred
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Str Dn1040 7 2 Channel 1050 Watt A V Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page