HELP ME CHOOSE A RECEIVER! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-26-2013, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking to buy a new AV receiver. I have some options, I can buy either a new mid-level receiver or a higher end but older receiver. I'm not sure which receiver option is the best, but here are the options:

USED Onkyo TX-SR876 - $500 -
USED Denon 3311 - $500
NEW Sony STR-DN1040 - $500
NEW Yamaha RXV575 - $369

Can someone help me make this decision. I'll be using the receiver for movie and videogame audio as I have an Outlaw RR2150 Stereo receiver to handle the music duties. The Onkyo is the only one that is THX certified, I just don't know how much value to put into THX certified. Does it make a noticeable surround sound quality difference over NON-THX certified? The Denon is another high-end one I can buy for the cheap, it has alot more features than the Onkyo... The Sony has the MOST features but does it match the older ones in terms of sound quality? The Yamaha is on the list because it's at a great sale price...

Originally I wanted to keep a $350 budget for the receiver... But it really depends how much EXTRA I'm really getting from some of the higher end receivers...

Can someone give me their opinion on which one I should pick?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-26-2013, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 757 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22897 Post(s)
Liked: 12522
Whether you go with one of the newer lower level models will depend on whether you need any of the newer features these models offer over the older but higher level used models. If not, either of the older models would likely offer better audio quality.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-26-2013, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

I need 3D... I heard that some older receivers can still do 3D even if they are not rated for 3D... Is this true of any of these receivers? I guess the Onkyo is the only one that's not 3D compatible....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-26-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 757 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22897 Post(s)
Liked: 12522
The Onkyo is only HDMI 1.3 so although would not be able to pass full 1080p 3D video from a Blu Ray player, would likely be able to pass 720p 3D video used by cable/sat stations as well as PS3 games.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-26-2013, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

So I guess it's down to the Denon 3311 vs. Yamaha RXV575... The Yamaha is brand new and $130 dollars cheaper... Are there any advantages to the Denon that warrants the price increase???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr876 Receiver , Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Sony Str Dn1040 7 2 Channel 1050 Watt A V Receiver , Yamaha Rx V575 7 1 Channel Network Av Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page