onkyo ht-ss5500 or Denon 1613 receiver w/ Boston Acoustics? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-26-2013, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hey guys,

i'm a newbie at this receiver and sound system, I just upgraded my tv to a 46inch 3d tv and a new ps4 which is what i would use mostly, and now its time to upgrade my system which doesnt even have 3d passthru, its an old sony htib, so i believe any upgrade now would be an improvement,  I am looking for the best sound though so I would appreciate advice on which system to go for?

looking at accessories4less.com

on the onkyo ht-ss5500 currently for $279 ( i would use it for 5.1 sound my room is not big enough for 7.1
)

or the Denon 1613 receiver for $209, thats just the receiver alone i was looking at the boston acoustics MCS95 5.1 8" subwoofer and speakers for $149, i'm not sure if those speakers are a good match for the receiver's im lost on how to know if they're good or not?

can you help me out at the best option between these? or if there is a better match for around the same price?

im figuring with the denon and speakers i'll have to pay more for wires, im hoping its not that much.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-26-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 746 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22736 Post(s)
Liked: 12381
The Denon 1613 features the more advanced version of Audyssey MultEQ over just 2EQ on the HT-SS500 so would be the better purchase along with the BA speakers.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-26-2013, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Great, i was thinking that, so it is worth it...  do you know the quality of the speakers mentioned? or I would most likely want to upgrade later on? and would it matter what kind of speaker wires i would have to buy?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-26-2013, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 746 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22736 Post(s)
Liked: 12381
These are small satellite sized speakers, however, in a small/med sized room should work fine. You'll likely want to upgrade to either better quality bookshelf speakers or tower speakers (if room permits) down the road if you want a more powerful audio effect. As far as speaker wire goes, 16 AWG wire should suffice if your runs are < 40' in length.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-26-2013, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2199 Post(s)
Liked: 1457
Would you want to upgrade your speakers later on? Depends how serious you are about home theater. Some people are perfectly fine with satellite speakers. I went from Energy satellite speakers 10 years ago to bookshelf speakers and noticed a huge difference.

some people as they get more money want to get better electronics and speakers. Others don't care, as long as it sounds better than the TV speakers.

The speakers in the Onkyo setup are nothing special so I think you'll be perfectly happy with the Boston M95's for now. they're very well built and solid speakers for the price.

Afro GT
post #6 of 6 Old 12-26-2013, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

i would think about upgrading but room size is a factor i could only use satellites for now, but i'm not sure all about the ohms and tweets and all that terminology, if there are better speakers that are satellites i would go for it. it's a medium size bedroom, but i love detail in sound so i would want the best i can get. As far as the sub goes i would need to get a separate cable for that as well, is that correct?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1613 Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page