A warning for anyone considering Emotiva products - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 Old 01-06-2014, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
UrdnotWrex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16

I wanted to share my experiences with Emotiva products and services in the hopes that others can avoid their highly questionable product quality and service.

I purchased an XPA-3 in 2010. I live in an apartment (for now), so while I do enjoy listening critically, I haven't yet fully 'stretched' any of my audio equipment. Bearing that in mind, the XPA-3 I had purchased (along with the rest of my audio gear) has, to this day, never been really leaned into. Despite this fact, and after what I would describe as light use, my XPA-3 experienced a catastrophic failure in the form of (what I would later be told was) a blown capacitor. We were watching a movie at the time (I had guests over), and suddenly a loud bang was heard (it was seriously loud) followed by a lot of arcing and smoking. I had to run to the wall (spilling our drinks all over the floor in the process) and start frantically tearing power cords out of the wall. In short, it was a wholly unpleasant experience. Now--I could be convinced that this may have been the result of a power issue (despite the fact that the amp this XPA-3 replaced had been running in parallel with all of this equipment in the same place for 6 years without issue), but I gave Emotiva the benefit of the doubt, assumed this was a fluke, and paid the roughly $80 to ship the amp back for repairs without complaint. 

I later ordered a UMC-200 along with two XPA-100 monoblocks. To my dismay, I found that one of the XPA-100s was displaying troubling behavior directly out of the box. It would constantly go into fault protect mode, even with nothing plugged into it. In searching this forum, I found a thread wherein another Emotiva customer described a similar issue, and was instructed to run a blow dryer over the top of the amp--as some condition from the factory could result in excessive static buildup inside the case. I tried this and it actually worked for a time, but the amp kept intermittently returning to fault protect mode (the other was always fine, even after I switched them). Recognizing that the unit was clearly defective at this point, I emailed [email protected] on 4/15/2013 and described my issue. After receiving no response, I forwarded my original email and a request for response again to [email protected] on 5/6/2013. I STILL received NO response, and so I forwarded the email to every distribution group at Emotiva I could find, along with the only person I had dealt with directly at the time--Janna from accounting. She responded immediately and told me someone would get back to me. When support did finally get back to me, they tried to advise that if I needed help, I should call. NO. It just so happens that Emotiva's office hours are the exact hours I work as well, so it is NOT convenient for me to call. If we have to call to get support, why does the [email protected] distribution list even exist??!?!!? I should be able to engage and communicate with support through email if that is my preferred method. 

Now as if all this wasn't enough, let's get to the refurbished UMC-200 I purchased along with the monoblocks in early February, 2013. I recently attempted to perform the firmware update to version 1.52.02.47. I did not make note of the version present before attempting the upgrade, but I do know that it was from before v1.52.02.39. After following the original PDF instructions, I noticed that the DSP2 module seemed to install much too quickly (returned a 'successful' result after only a second, with no change in the progress bar). Despite following the instructions exactly, the unit continued to display 'ERROR DSP2 NOT MATCH!', followed by 'ERROR! DSP2 Code 20130417155506', before booting. This was clearly the result of the DSP2 module not installing correctly (all other modules were successfully installed). 

I proceeded to try every method outlined in several online threads, to no avail.

I was already relatively dissatisfied with Emotiva products based on my previous experience to date, but this latest experience has definitely further soured my taste for Emotiva products and services. I don't enjoy being critical, but I doubt it's entirely unfair of me to say that I've lost all faith in Emotiva products and would not be comfortable purchasing another, nor would I ever recommend them to anyone. Upon expressing these sentiments to Emotiva, I was met with defensive avoidance and my thread on their forum was summarily removed. THEY WILL NOT ADDRESS YOUR ISSUES, they will attempt to brush it under the rug. Luckily, they can only sanitize their own forums.

Sweetmeat, denze and junior00027 like this.
UrdnotWrex is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 49 Old 01-06-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
grasshoppers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: aridzona
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Thanks for posting this info. Been reading a lot of issues like you have described.
I find it very 'sorry' about their practice of "sanitizing" their own forums.

If I may suggest you look into Outlaw Audio's line of amps.
Great products and reasonably priced. Great customer service too.

I have a pair of their mono- block amps powering my mains.
darthray likes this.

(Main)-Marantz 6012*Outlaw Audio M2200*Rythmik F12 subs*Paradigm Signature S6,C1,S1
******Harman Kardon DMC1000 (music)-Assassin HTPC (movies).
(Bedroom)-Marantz SR5003*Paradigm Studio 40,SE Center,SE One*SVS SB-2000 subs*Sony S6200
(Music room)-Outlaw Audio RR2150*Sierra Two ribbon speakers*Rythmik L12 sub*Yamaha CDR-HD1500
grasshoppers is offline  
post #3 of 49 Old 01-06-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 7,058
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Liked: 584
Or you could buy an amplifier from Bryston, and get a 20-YEAR transferable warranty backed up by knowledgeable people who will talk to you and discuss any problem or issue that might exist.

Of course Bryston amplifiers sound better and cost a lot more, so it is hard to compare. Their sound quality is exceptional and their reliability is legendary among pro audio people, and others.

Made in Canada by people who speak English; how very strange.

I guess if you are going to have a product made as cheaply as possible in asia and sell it as cheaply as possible, there ain't much money left over for frills like salaries, and everything has to be done half-assed, on a shoestring.

The oats are always cheaper after they have been through the horse.

A classic case of a bargain that didn't turn out to be such a bargain!!

There ain't no free lunch.
value, bigguyca and David Susilo like this.
commsysman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 49 Old 01-06-2014, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
UrdnotWrex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16

Thank you Grasshoppers--I will definitely take your suggestion into consideration the next time I buy audio gear.

UrdnotWrex is offline  
post #5 of 49 Old 01-06-2014, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
UrdnotWrex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

Or you could buy an amplifier from Bryston, and get a 20-YEAR transferable warranty backed up by knowledgeable people who will talk to you and discuss any problem or issue that might exist.

Of course Bryston amplifiers sound better and cost a lot more, so it is hard to compare. Their sound quality is exceptional and their reliability is legendary among pro audio people, and others.

Made in Canada by people who speak English; how very strange.

I guess if you are going to have a product made as cheaply as possible in asia and sell it as cheaply as possible, there ain't much money left over for frills like salaries, and everything has to be done half-assed, on a shoestring.

A classic case of a bargain that didn't turn out to be such a bargain!!

There ain't no free lunch.

Unfortunately, you are absolutely correct, sir. I thought it was too good to be true and, apparently--it is.

UrdnotWrex is offline  
post #6 of 49 Old 01-06-2014, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
Emig5m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 973
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Dayum... now that's a bad company experience. But I've had a XPA-5 since mid 2008 and have had four different processors hooked up to it without a hitch.
Emig5m is offline  
post #7 of 49 Old 01-06-2014, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
UrdnotWrex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emig5m View Post

Dayum... now that's a bad company experience. But I've had a XPA-5 since mid 2008 and have had four different processors hooked up to it without a hitch.

Agreed--undoubtedly terrible service and product quality. I do have one XPA-100 that has worked without issue, so that's 1/4 success rate for me!

UrdnotWrex is offline  
post #8 of 49 Old 01-06-2014, 05:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Badouri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

Or you could buy an amplifier from Bryston, and get a 20-YEAR transferable warranty backed up by knowledgeable people who will talk to you and discuss any problem or issue that might exist.

Of course Bryston amplifiers sound better and cost a lot more, so it is hard to compare. Their sound quality is exceptional and their reliability is legendary among pro audio people, and others.

Made in Canada by people who speak English; how very strange.

I guess if you are going to have a product made as cheaply as possible in asia and sell it as cheaply as possible, there ain't much money left over for frills like salaries, and everything has to be done half-assed, on a shoestring.

The oats are always cheaper after they have been through the horse.

A classic case of a bargain that didn't turn out to be such a bargain!!

There ain't no free lunch.

Why are you selling yours? https://www.avsforum.com/t/1503660/bryston-3b-sst2-stereo-power-amplifier

You bought a Musical Fidelity M6PRX?

http://hometheaterreview.com/musical-fidelity-m6-prx-power-amplifier-reviewed/

"The M6 Series is designed by the Musical Fidelity team in the United Kingdom but is manufactured in Taiwan to keep costs down."
Badouri is offline  
post #9 of 49 Old 01-06-2014, 05:53 PM
The Village Idiot
 
Knucklehead90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: State of Confusion - 98823
Posts: 9,498
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked: 776
I've been following Emotiva since Dec of 2008 when I bought a UPA-7 from them. Very nice very stout amp that can drive 99% of the speakers made IMO. For the record I had no problems with it or any of the amps I've bought from them since - or the second hand amps. But I get the impression from reading their forum (consumer complaints that turn into flame wars!) that their quality of product is taking a nose-dive - maybe from something out of their control. Production line quality in China can be problematic but who knows for sure other than Dan Laufman? I don't. I do not own any of their amps any longer and feel 'safer' for it. I do have a complete 5.0 of their first reference speakers which I think are very well built - and any speaker designed by Vance Dickason should be good. I have the ERT towers with ERM 6.3 center and ERD surrounds. I've heard lots of speakers in my 66 years - I challenge anyone to find something as good for what I paid. But I feel they are losing their edge. I've owned many of their processors (5 times with 3 models) from the LMC-1 (junk IMO) - two UMC-1 processors (I'll leave that one alone!) and a UMC-200. I don't have any of those - sold em all. The XMC-1 will have to be something special if I'm going to buy one.

Their first reference speakers were well built - sound very good - and are out of production. IMO not a smart move. They came out with their new speaker line which looked like the ERM-1 bookshelf morphed into a tower. They did the same with the ERM-6.2 bookshelf. Then came out with their 'new' UPA amp lineup - each a pale image of the original UPA amps. They halted production of the original UPA series amps with the statement that they thought the power output was so close to an AVR that people wouldn't buy them - then introduced the 'new' UPA series amps that were low on power IMO. The UPA-500 and -700 aren't any better than a stout AVR. And try plugging those amps into anything that could use the power since low and mid level AVRs are or going to lose their preamp outs.

There are many other things that just do not make sense from a company that wants to be the one-stop shopping for all your audio needs. Not having a full line of speakers shoots that want down. And I agree - scrubbing the website whenever it suits them hurts their image. Threads that register complaints from unhappy buyers who feel the need to spout off seem to just disappear from time to time. It is their 'bat and ball' so they can do what they wish with it but it doesn't reflect well on them.

Yamaha A-S1000 - Salk Song Towers - HTPC (Linux) - Oppo 103 - Marantz TT42 (WWG1WGA) --- Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
Knucklehead90 is offline  
post #10 of 49 Old 01-06-2014, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
UrdnotWrex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16

Very interesting, knuckles--I do tend to agree. I'm tempted to continue re-posting the thread until they ban my account. I originally intended to air my grievances only in their own forum, where they had control and could address my assertions and show their dedication to quality service. Once they decided to censor it, and blow me off instead, I decided that I would do everything in my power to post my experience with them in every AV/tech forum and review site I could find. I would like to ensure that as many of their potential customers as possible are exposed to my story before making their purchasing decision. 

Five28, noshank and Sweetmeat like this.
UrdnotWrex is offline  
post #11 of 49 Old 01-06-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
M Code's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Cotati, CA
Posts: 11,942
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked: 741
The mass market pushed for lower prices!!
The big box & internet sellers competed against one another aggressively driving CE product pricing downward...
While real costs were increasing..
End result..
The surviving brands are in a deficit financial position and have drastically reduced their staff/expenses for product development, marketing and support to low levels...
And in many instances the product support staff is now outsourced from India..
While the products have gotten more advanced putting greater burden on less knowledgible users being able to get things working properly..

Just my $0.05... 👍😉
Bikerduck and Simm like this.
M Code is offline  
post #12 of 49 Old 01-06-2014, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Socketman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,170
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 212
I am always surprised that companies treat their customers with such contempt in light of the bad exposure they can get on the internet. I bought an XPA3 a couple years ago and had it sent from TN to my home in Whitehorse Yukon ( near Alaska ) and I was concerned about getting something that heavy from so far away. So far so good, all seems well , though like you I don't push it too hard though my kids have a few times. Funny this thread came up, as I am selling my amp to buy something with more channels since I don't have room for another Emo though I would probably buy another if I did have the space.

I had a similar experience with Controller Chaos and they have crappy service as well. Sent the controller back 3 times and got 3 different explanations each time after the 3rd time I demanded a new controller and they said , NOT OUR POLICY. We kept the fancy case and put the guts out of another controller in and wrote it off as a bad experience. I had close to 300 bucks into this stupid thing with freight and duty. So I will say to everyone I can don't buy from Controller Chaos.

Sorry to hear you have had such bad luck with Emo , fortunately their are other companies you can spend your hard earned money with. I am buying my next amp from Axiom, they don't fuss around if a problem comes up, they just deal with it and keep you happy.
Socketman is offline  
post #13 of 49 Old 01-06-2014, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
UrdnotWrex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16

Totally agree, Socketman. Thanks for the heads up about Controller Chaos--if I do decide to offload all my Emo gear and reward a different company with by business I will definitely be wary of them after hearing about your experience.

UrdnotWrex is offline  
post #14 of 49 Old 01-06-2014, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Socketman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,170
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Just to be clear , Controller Chaos make fancy controllers for Xbox 360 and PS3. sorry bout that.
Socketman is offline  
post #15 of 49 Old 01-06-2014, 09:07 PM
Senior Member
 
SMO5007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I have an xpa 5/xpa 2 both have worked perfect for the last 3 years..sometimes you just cant cut a break...
JMZ400 likes this.
SMO5007 is offline  
post #16 of 49 Old 01-07-2014, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,005
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Just to comment on Bryston, if you can afford, don't hesitate to buy. Some of the best built amps and customer service I have ever seen.

Projector: Epson Home Cinema 2100; Receiver: Sony STR-DN1080; Speakers: Monitor Audio Controlled Performance Inwalls and Inceilings; Subwoofer(s): SVS PC-2000; Bluray Player: Sony BDP-S6500; Remote: Simple Controls; Cables: Monoprice
rnatalli is online now  
post #17 of 49 Old 01-20-2014, 11:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Noman74656's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 439
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Same boat. My XPA-5 (I'm the third owner) and XPA-500 have been running great.

To the OP, you could call them when you get off work, leave a message asking for an RMA #, then when they return your call they will probably leave you a voice-mail with an RMA #, then send back. No lunch break?

Not trying to get you more riled up, I agree the returning of AV equipment can be a hassle. I had to do it with one of my Mirage speakers right after I received it. Not happy, but the Vanns customer service was great for me and got the system going again.

"In nature there are neither rewards nor punishments; there are consequences."Robert Green Ingersoll

Noman74656's Martycube Builds
My Theater
Noman74656 is online now  
post #18 of 49 Old 02-14-2015, 06:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrdnotWrex View Post
I wanted to share my experiences with Emotiva products and services in the hopes that others can avoid their highly questionable product quality and service.
I purchased an XPA-3 in 2010. I live in an apartment (for now), so while I do enjoy listening critically, I haven't yet fully 'stretched' any of my audio equipment. Bearing that in mind, the XPA-3 I had purchased (along with the rest of my audio gear) has, to this day, never been really leaned into. Despite this fact, and after what I would describe as light use, my XPA-3 experienced a catastrophic failure in the form of (what I would later be told was) a blown capacitor. We were watching a movie at the time (I had guests over), and suddenly a loud bang was heard (it was seriously loud) followed by a lot of arcing and smoking. I had to run to the wall (spilling our drinks all over the floor in the process) and start frantically tearing power cords out of the wall. In short, it was a wholly unpleasant experience. Now--I could be convinced that this may have been the result of a power issue (despite the fact that the amp this XPA-3 replaced had been running in parallel with all of this equipment in the same place for 6 years without issue), but I gave Emotiva the benefit of the doubt, assumed this was a fluke, and paid the roughly $80 to ship the amp back for repairs without complaint. 
I later ordered a UMC-200 along with two XPA-100 monoblocks. To my dismay, I found that one of the XPA-100s was displaying troubling behavior directly out of the box. It would constantly go into fault protect mode, even with nothing plugged into it. In searching this forum, I found a thread wherein another Emotiva customer described a similar issue, and was instructed to run a blow dryer over the top of the amp--as some condition from the factory could result in excessive static buildup inside the case. I tried this and it actually worked for a time, but the amp kept intermittently returning to fault protect mode (the other was always fine, even after I switched them). Recognizing that the unit was clearly defective at this point, I emailed [email protected] on 4/15/2013 and described my issue. After receiving no response, I forwarded my original email and a request for response again to [email protected] on 5/6/2013. I STILL received NO response, and so I forwarded the email to every distribution group at Emotiva I could find, along with the only person I had dealt with directly at the time--Janna from accounting. She responded immediately and told me someone would get back to me. When support did finally get back to me, they tried to advise that if I needed help, I should call. NO. It just so happens that Emotiva's office hours are the exact hours I work as well, so it is NOT convenient for me to call. If we have to call to get support, why does the [email protected] distribution list even exist??!?!!? I should be able to engage and communicate with support through email if that is my preferred method. 
Now as if all this wasn't enough, let's get to the refurbished UMC-200 I purchased along with the monoblocks in early February, 2013. I recently attempted to perform the firmware update to version 1.52.02.47. I did not make note of the version present before attempting the upgrade, but I do know that it was from before v1.52.02.39. After following the original PDF instructions, I noticed that the DSP2 module seemed to install much too quickly (returned a 'successful' result after only a second, with no change in the progress bar). Despite following the instructions exactly, the unit continued to display 'ERROR DSP2 NOT MATCH!', followed by 'ERROR! DSP2 Code 20130417155506', before booting. This was clearly the result of the DSP2 module not installing correctly (all other modules were successfully installed). 
I proceeded to try every method outlined in several online threads, to no avail.
I was already relatively dissatisfied with Emotiva products based on my previous experience to date, but this latest experience has definitely further soured my taste for Emotiva products and services. I don't enjoy being critical, but I doubt it's entirely unfair of me to say that I've lost all faith in Emotiva products and would not be comfortable purchasing another, nor would I ever recommend them to anyone. Upon expressing these sentiments to Emotiva, I was met with defensive avoidance and my thread on their forum was summarily removed. THEY WILL NOT ADDRESS YOUR ISSUES, they will attempt to brush it under the rug. Luckily, they can only sanitize their own forums.

Saw a yelp ad with this exact description as well on the search that had this link. Apologies if my gut us wrong, but it's calling bull. You joined the day you posted this and your last post was 3 days later. Smell that? It's bull

Was surprised, but not shocked hearing Edit: Audioholics.com posted the article about a few companies marketing tactics. Heard who the companies were.

Thought it was a joke at first. (Side note: OP, not aiming this at you by any means. This is just right up the alley of the methods in the article.

1 brand will get on a forum like this and start with,

I'm looking to get a new Z, what do you guys think about the Product X.
User 2: heard some really good things, but haven't had the opportunity to try it
User 3: It's Amazing!
User 4: Oh my God Becky, you have to try it!
User 5: Well I was looking over the specs of competitor Y, and the A & B of it appear to test much better based on there results. I think the company is a bit over rated, and the prices of V are a little bit lower.
User 3: Yes, but they are only performing the test at 1/10 of a sine wave at 1kHz, go to website link and look at the results by so and so
User 5: Oh, I see. Well that makes a lot of sense know that I compare the specs of the 2. My apologies. Have to switch my planning and decide which one of X works best for me.
User 2: The Xa would work with your system great because of the blah and blah blah. They also use adjective adjective meaningless word which explains the price difference as I noticed a significant increase on the adjectives meaninglessness word.
User 5: Just got it in the mail this week. I'm doing backflips while typing! Hear they're getting low on stock, you guys better hurry if you want some backflips


More companies than you would think do this. A few that I had held in high regard, 2 in particular really surprised me. Hate that I can't give you guys a heads up. My word, and integrity are more important

Just be careful when you start reading some reviews. If you're unable to test the product before, say you will purchase it with a 30 day return period if it's not offered
TomFord is offline  
post #19 of 49 Old 02-14-2015, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Snowmanick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,315
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomFord View Post
Saw a yelp ad with this exact description as well on the search that had this link. Apologies if my gut us wrong, but it's calling bull. You joined the day you posted this and your last post was 3 days later. Smell that? It's bull

Was surprised, but not shocked hearing Edit: Audioholics.com posted the article about a few companies marketing tactics. Heard who the companies were.

Thought it was a joke at first. (Side note: OP, not aiming this at you by any means. This is just right up the alley of the methods in the article.

1 brand will get on a forum like this and start with,

I'm looking to get a new Z, what do you guys think about the Product X.
User 2: heard some really good things, but haven't had the opportunity to try it
User 3: It's Amazing!
User 4: Oh my God Becky, you have to try it!
User 5: Well I was looking over the specs of competitor Y, and the A & B of it appear to test much better based on there results. I think the company is a bit over rated, and the prices of V are a little bit lower.
User 3: Yes, but they are only performing the test at 1/10 of a sine wave at 1kHz, go to website link and look at the results by so and so
User 5: Oh, I see. Well that makes a lot of sense know that I compare the specs of the 2. My apologies. Have to switch my planning and decide which one of X works best for me.
User 2: The Xa would work with your system great because of the blah and blah blah. They also use adjective adjective meaningless word which explains the price difference as I noticed a significant increase on the adjectives meaninglessness word.
User 5: Just got it in the mail this week. I'm doing backflips while typing! Hear they're getting low on stock, you guys better hurry if you want some backflips


More companies than you would think do this. A few that I had held in high regard, 2 in particular really surprised me. Hate that I can't give you guys a heads up. My word, and integrity are more important

Just be careful when you start reading some reviews. If you're unable to test the product before, say you will purchase it with a 30 day return period if it's not offered

I don't know if you are talking about Audioholic's "firing SVS as an advertiser" in 2007 or a different article. Reagrdless, about a year after the Audioholics piece I was working on a project in B-school about vendor/manufacturer disintermediation and spoke to several different audio ID mfg's. While not all of them were interested in being a part of the official project and paper several still shared their thoughts informally with me. Almost all of them stated that this type of marketing, at least at the time, was rampant but were quick to claim that they weren't part of it. So either everyone was covering their butts or afraid of the bogeyman. Personally, based off of other reports of just this type of marketing practice occurring in multiple industries, IMHO it probably occurs but perhaps not to the extent that some posters (over at head-fi for example) believe it does.

While forums are a great resource, it is my opinion too many people try to use them as a shortcut for purchasing decisions and end up with products that may not suit their needs. This feeds the motivation for companies to use less than honest marketing practices. Between audio shows, audio shops, GTG's, friends, and companies that offer generous return policies, there are a lot of products people can hear and choose amongst based off of their own preferences and experiences. Heck, that is a large part of the fun of the hobby.

Climbing off my soap box now.

Last edited by Snowmanick; 02-14-2015 at 09:58 PM.
Snowmanick is offline  
post #20 of 49 Old 03-12-2015, 11:03 PM
 
audio4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 301
I think more than a few companies/manufacturers have some of their people posting on forums like this trying to pump up sales. I find it disgusting. That's the thing about the internet, people can pose as anybody they want and use a snappy handle and push their brand using different strategies. I've seen certain posters here hard sell certain brands repeatedly, I guess that's the way things are on the wide web these days.
audio4life is offline  
post #21 of 49 Old 03-13-2015, 12:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bigguyca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: East Turkestan
Posts: 2,025
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1306 Post(s)
Liked: 1148
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
I think more than a few companies/manufacturers have some of their people posting on forums like this trying to pump up sales. I find it disgusting. That's the thing about the internet, people can pose as anybody they want and use a snappy handle and push their brand using different strategies. I've seen certain posters here hard sell certain brands repeatedly, I guess that's the way things are on the wide web these days.
Agreed. I've posted analysis the design of certain products, often supported by datasheets and other references. Some of the analysis is plus and some minus. I've been greeted by marketing hype that is repeated and repeated, if the analysis is at all negative.
bigguyca is online now  
post #22 of 49 Old 03-13-2015, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
kjfalls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dennison IL, just across the state line from Terre
Posts: 842
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I have several Emotiva components, XPA-5, UMC-1, ERM-1, UMC-200, a-100. All with the exception of the UMC-1 have worked flawlessly. Considering the UMC-1, when I complained I received a replacement immediately. When it had issues updating I was able to ship it in at no cost for a factory update. When it still had issues I, as well as anyone who wanted it, received a 40% lifetime discount for processor upgrades. I've used mine to buy a UMC-200 and happy with the results. I don't find current pricing as much of a bargain as before, but can't blame them to try and make a buck when their popularity grew. Overall I'm happy with my Emotiva gear and the service I've received.
Rbjack likes this.
kjfalls is offline  
post #23 of 49 Old 03-13-2015, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
Elmo C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 697
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 28
This thread was BS from the day it posted.
Elmo C is online now  
post #24 of 49 Old 03-13-2015, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
kjfalls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dennison IL, just across the state line from Terre
Posts: 842
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo C View Post
This thread was BS from the day it posted.
That's my guess too. Looks like he joined the forum in January just for this gripe and hasn't posted anything since. I wouldn't be surprised if he's done the same on other forums. I respect his right to voice his opinion, but will weigh it appropriately from my own experiences.
kjfalls is offline  
post #25 of 49 Old 03-13-2015, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KidHorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Derwood, Maryland
Posts: 5,485
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1892 Post(s)
Liked: 1304
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
I think more than a few companies/manufacturers have some of their people posting on forums like this trying to pump up sales. I find it disgusting. That's the thing about the internet, people can pose as anybody they want and use a snappy handle and push their brand using different strategies. I've seen certain posters here hard sell certain brands repeatedly, I guess that's the way things are on the wide web these days.

I agree. The worst are the ones who will defend a company no matter what. They always throw out things like 'only those with problems post, the owners who have no problems keep quiet'. Or 'Everyone has issues, search for (Fill in any major brand) problem and you'll see lots of problems.' I believe Onkyo was caught red handed doing this.
KidHorn is online now  
post #26 of 49 Old 03-13-2015, 01:22 PM
 
audio4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
I agree. The worst are the ones who will defend a company no matter what. They always throw out things like 'only those with problems post, the owners who have no problems keep quiet'. Or 'Everyone has issues, search for (Fill in any major brand) problem and you'll see lots of problems.' I believe Onkyo was caught red handed doing this.
Good point, Onkyo fanboys die hard, I ought to know as an owner of 3 of their AVRs including 2 that were at risk for the HDMI board cap failures. I used to defend them a lot because I never had an issue, but over time realized that too many were complaining for it not to be an issue. I was given the 906 with a dead board and fixed it using the tutorial on this forum. A 55lb anchor, it opened my eyes a little.

The problem with Emotiva is they can't seem to bring a brand new item to market without issues of one kind or another. But in their defence, once they bring a second generation item to market, it'll usually be much better. I'm thinking their first subs, DACs, cd players, amp with class A operation and of course processors. The thing is, they are now slated to be bringing tube based amps/preamps and turntables to market for the first time. It'll be interesting to see if they can hit better than their batting average this time out.
Rbjack likes this.
audio4life is offline  
post #27 of 49 Old 04-17-2016, 08:57 PM
Member
 
compcond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My UMC-200 just exploded. It did it while I was watching an explosion on the final episode of Mythbusters. It has been plugged in to a high-end TrippLite line conditioner for its entire life.

The good news is that it did not damage my irreplaceable Panasonic 65VT60 nor my irreplaceable Dynaudio speakers.

The bad news is that I had foot surgery 3 weeks ago and I'm non-weight-bearing on my right foot which was in direct opposition to flying out of the chair to hit the main power switch on the line conditioner.

1 of 1 is not statistically significant but there's no excuse for cheap components in a not-so-cheap component, especially in light of the above reports. I'm done with Emotiva. And my foot now hurts like hell.
compcond is offline  
post #28 of 49 Old 07-23-2016, 05:07 PM
Member
 
mope54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I bought some expensive gear from them about 10 years ago and now they've lost record of my purchase and refuse to honor the 40% upgrade for life discount they originally sold the gear under.

I haven't had a problem with their gear, but this is the second time they've refused to honor a claim they've made to me so I won't be buying anything from them anymore, either.
mope54 is offline  
post #29 of 49 Old 03-09-2017, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
videoaddikt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 2,995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Mc-700

To round things up to 2017, i have had my XPA-5 for 5 years now. But bought it used, so it's about 7 years old. it has a heating or protection circuit issue.
But worked perfectly up until now. Well, not really perfect, it did have one intermittent channel about 3 years ago. It was still under warranty then, but my willingness to ship this dead weight back was waning. So I partially disassembled it and found a cold solder joint on the defective channel output connector.
Feeling lucky that's all it was, i marched on.

I just went ahead and ordered another Emotiva but the new A500 BasX amp. My UMC-200 processor keeps working just fine. Then smaller A500 should do fine with my easy load 6 ohm speakers.I suspect power will be in the 140 p/ch range. Maybe 100 watts with all channels going. They claim 80 watts with all channels into 8 ohm loads.

So I have no big complaints about Emo, maybe more about 'how' they do things, than how they build them.For example, right now the newest upgrade for the UMC200 is the MC-700. Some very nice features. But they can not build them fast enough. They keep having people sign up to get in the queue. Then when they anticipated shipping a group of products, they they charged the customers but ran into another delay and never shipped.

They should have take a small deposit like 50 bucks to stay in the queue then charge the customer the remaining fee when they actually shipped.

Most of us would not be happy having a company holding on to our 500 bucks when they are obviously having production delays.
I am now having some doubts about getting the A500 but need my entertainment! I hope I don't regret it.
bezlar likes this.

Samsung PN51F8500, Emotiva MC-700, Outlaw Audio 5000, Xbox One S, Dali Ikon 6, Vokal 2, OnWall, Outlalw LMF-EX, Furman Elite pf15i. UTurn Orbit Turntable, Ortofon 2M Red cart. and a Vincent PHO 80 phone preamp.

Last edited by videoaddikt; 03-15-2017 at 07:02 AM. Reason: clarification
videoaddikt is offline  
post #30 of 49 Old 03-09-2017, 03:53 PM
Senior Member
 
rmalbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 488
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I saw this thread and did a search, the OP did update his review on amazon with this info (below) so I think he might be for real. I think he splattered his 'message' around on so many forums that he couldn't in a million years go back and update them all, LOL!:


This review is from: Emotiva Audio XPA-100 Mono Block Power Amplifier (Electronics)
**UPDATE** I've received a response from their customer service and they've agreed to provide a replacement UMC-200. They will also generate a shipping label so that I will not have to pay to return the defective unit. I will leave the text below intact, but this latest development should be taken into consideration.
rmalbers is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 3 Amplifier , Emotiva Umc 200 7 1 Home Theater Preamp Surround Processor

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off