AVR-X4000 amp suggestions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 01-10-2014, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just upgraded my Pioneer 1018 to the Denon x4000. Polk rti a9 and csi a6 front and center. Surrounds are just some Samsung HTIB fronts repurposed mainly because of the standing height until I can find some suitable surrounds (read: price). Sub is a 10" Polk (PSW 404 I think).

I am considering adding an amp to drive the fronts primarily. Seeing as I live in a condo where volume needs to remain respectable, is it viable to use an external amp for the purpose of taking some of the load off the receiver? I am budget-minded, but I like to future-proof when I do spend. Is this a waste? If not, any suggestions for amps?

Denon AVR-X4000 + Emotiva XPA-5 gen 2
2 Polk RTi A9 + CSiA6
2 Klipsch RS 400
2 SVS PB-1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-10-2014, 09:45 AM
FMW
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1654 Post(s)
Liked: 1710
Why do you want to take load from the receiver? You don't need an external amp. Just enjoy what you have.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-10-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 421
You have more than enough power to do one (or BOTH) of these two things with relative ease:

1. Meet your own listening level requirements.

2. SURPASS those that your neighbor(s) find to reasonable.

Take the $5-$1000 and spend it on media to enjoy.

James

My Parlor and Theatre: "Jimbo's Dugout" : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...re-parlor.html

Actual phone call (see pic to left):
 Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"
Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 01-10-2014, 09:58 AM
The Village Idiot

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 743
Ditto

and

Ditto

Yamaha A-S1000 Int. Amp - Polk LSiM705's - Denon DCD-1500 - Marantz TT42 - Emo XDA-2 DAC - (WWG1WGA)
Multi-Channel: Yamaha RX-A2070 - Polk LSiM706c Center - Emo ERD-1 Surrounds
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
post #5 of 15 Old 01-10-2014, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Much appreciated. I find that in forums, people love to take liberties with money that's not their own, so suggestions contrary to that are refreshing.

2 Polk RTi A9 + CSiA6
2 Klipsch RS 400
2 SVS PB-1000
post #6 of 15 Old 01-10-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3275 Post(s)
Liked: 3362
Well, if that's all you want, send the money to me and I will be glad to take liberties with it. No amps required. smile.gif

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #7 of 15 Old 01-10-2014, 11:57 AM
FMW
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulitix View Post

Much appreciated. I find that in forums, people love to take liberties with money that's not their own, so suggestions contrary to that are refreshing.

We aren't in the business of selling you anything. What you buy or don't buy doesn't affect us in the least. Good listening.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-10-2014, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

We aren't in the business of selling you anything. What you buy or don't buy doesn't affect us in the least. Good listening.

I mean't nothing by it...just that sometimes people enter a 'fantasy mode' when giving product advice...so it's cool to get some of the practical nature.

2 Polk RTi A9 + CSiA6
2 Klipsch RS 400
2 SVS PB-1000
post #9 of 15 Old 01-10-2014, 02:29 PM
FMW
AVS Forum Special Member

I understand. I learned a long time ago that what matters in a sound system is speakers and room acoustics. The rest of the stuf is fairly close to being meaningless. So I support using affordable electronics. Most separate amplifiers are purchased because they are wanted, not because they are needed. It's OK with me but it seems silly for most people. So you got not only what I preach but what I practice. Welcome to AVS forum.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-12-2014, 12:24 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I use my X4000 as a pre/pro with a few Rotel amps in my signature and the sound is superb. But I haven't compared with the internal amp.

Anthem MRX-500 - Vincent SAV-P200 - RAW Acoustics Lambda Plus arrays, Apex C II center - HT4 tower surrounds - CSS WR.30 sides - Rythmik FV15HP - Vizio XVT553SV - Xbox One - Xbox 360 - WD Live TV - QNAP TS212 NAS w/WD Red drives - APC H15BLK
post #11 of 15 Old 01-12-2014, 02:49 AM
FMW
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emetw View Post

I use my X4000 as a pre/pro with a few Rotel amps in my signature and the sound is superb. But I haven't compared with the internal amp.

The "superber" wouldn't be a fair term to use. Like I said most amps are purchased because they are wanted, not because they are needed.
post #12 of 15 Old 01-14-2014, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

The "superber" wouldn't be a fair term to use. Like I said most amps are purchased because they are wanted, not because they are needed.

Oh, trust me, I want, but that doesn't mean I will. I just question the benefits at moderate/slightly-loud listening levels. Am I going to get increased quality across the board? Not saying I'm gonna do it, but if I did, would a 2-channel amp to the fronts suffice, since they're huge...or should I look at driving the center as well?

2 Polk RTi A9 + CSiA6
2 Klipsch RS 400
2 SVS PB-1000
post #13 of 15 Old 01-14-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6052
I have my X4000 preamp with an Outlaw 7125 and it "sounds" better than the Onkyo 818 before it. I find when listening at high volumes, fast and furious 6 for a recent example, the heavy action scenes with music, etcc. sound more clean to me.

There are always the usual suspects around here that love to tell you that you dont need an amp with "dont be silly" type replies, but there are also plenty of articles to state differently.

I tried it (unlike a lot of folks here who just look at numbers) and I feel it was worth it. Keep in mind, I could ahve sent the amp back so I have no need to embellish because of buyers remorse. My advice, as to someone who actually tried it, is get one with a good return window and see what you think. Do not listen to people on here about this subject, because you will find that most of the amp supporters never speak up, its just the "you dont need one" folks. I know this from experience and talking to respected posters via PM.

Im sure this will piss some folks off, but I dont really care. The whole notion of dismissing a purchase that you dont have any experience with, because of something you read, is not in the spirit of this forum. This isn't pointed at any particular poster here, Im just speaking from the experiences I went thru with amp research the last 3 months.

This is on this site in a similar thread:
Quote:
"Here is a quote from Jim Salk (speaker designer and manufacturer)

"About five years ago, a friend named Peter Smith conducted a very interesting test at Rocky Mountain Audiofest. He set up a system with both an average-reading meter (standard RMS VU meter like you would find on most audio equipment) and a peak-reading meter. He played the system with the VU meter registering an amplifier output of 5 - 8 watts. To everyone's surprise, the peak meter read as high as 250 watts during transient peaks in the music being reproduced. The bottom line is that if you were using a 100-watt amp to play back music at an average of 5 - 8 watts, it would be clipping during these transients. In may not be all that noticeable since many of these transients would be things like drum hits that are essentially noise anyway. None-the-less, clipping would be taking place."

Peak wattage is a huge difference from average wattage. For an HT system, you should design it based on the peak SPL that you want at the listening position. As I said it takes a lot of power to reproduce the peaks."

This will be my last post though, PM me if you want to know any more. I've spent more time than needed defending a purchase that I know made an improvement in SQ.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
DP-UB420 / ATV4K (3) / PS Vue
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
post #14 of 15 Old 01-14-2014, 09:07 AM
FMW
AVS Forum Special Member

The above is a good example of expectation bias. Since he expected a sonic improvement and paid for one, his brain supported him. Unfortunately, in a bias controlled listening test, the two would sound identical. No need to defend it. I just want you to understand it.
post #15 of 15 Old 06-05-2014, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
As an amp user who has used mid-fi, 90 wpc A/V receivers as both straight receiver and pre-pros (as in, my current, somewhat dated Yamaha RX-V661), it's my considered opinion that anyone who thinks that dedicated amplifiers DON'T add at least some measure of sonic quality suffer from defective hearing. Certainly your sound quality at, near or above reference levels will beat the sound coming straight out of your A/V receiver. At low volumes? Sure, you can compare the two. Pump up the volume a few tits, and the table setting changes.

You can cite all the theory, numbers and measurements you want - it comes back to what you hear with those two goofy things on each side of your melon.

I just ordered my AVR-X4000 to replace my 7 year-old Yammy, and I'm looking damned forward to hearing how it matches up with the Adcom GFA6000 that pushes my Maggie MMGs and MMG-C. The Denon will handle the old (cherished) Paradigm Phantom v2 surrounds I have in the back, and the Rythmik F12G, well..............it speaks for itself.

It'll be fine.........

"The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Pioneer Vsx 1018ah K Av Receiver 7 1 Channel Black , Polk Audio Rti A9 Floorstanding Speaker , Polk Audio Csi A6 Center Channel Speaker

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page