Going dual subs, how much will it hurt to not have XT32? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-22-2014, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15

So I am going to be getting a new receiver and a dual sub setup. I really want to stay in the $500ish range on the receiver and everything that uses XT32 is well above that. How critical is XT32 in a dual sub system? Are there other calibration systems that will calibrate the subs individually other than XT32? Right now I have been looking at the Denon X2000 or possibly the Sony DN1040. Would love to step up to the X4000 but don't think budget is going to allow after the sub purchase. Right now I have an older Sony ES 7.1 that has no calibration and no HDMI, so part of me is thinking whatever I get is going to be a step up anyway, so don't get so caught up in all they hype of the expensive stuff. Let me know what you think! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-22-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 758 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22900 Post(s)
Liked: 12525
It's important to note that calibrating dual subs is done by Audyssey Sub EQ HT which can be featured with any version of Audyssey; however, is currently only on some models with XT32 to include the X4000. As long as the subs are identical and each placed the same distance from the main listening position (ie. mic #1), not having Sub EQ HT will not be as big of a deal.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-22-2014, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4797
If I were shopping now I'd get XT32 (but I have XT now and not updating avr for now). Keep in mind that XT32 doesn't necessarily include SubEQ (Onkyo 818 and 929 come to mind).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 01-23-2014, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 44
The fact that you're going to buy two subs now is the key to this puzzle. Multiple sub issues are mitigated by buying identical subs. If you also can place them equidistant from the MLP you've reduced the need for Sub EQ HT.

I found going from XT to XT32 improved my bass response more than anything else. XT32 with a single sub sounds great.

You might see where I'm going. Why not get one sub now with the option of getting a second one later if needed, and use the difference now to buy an AVR with XT32 knowing that a future identical sub will hardly benefit from Sub EQ HT.

With the second sub money you could then get a TX-NR929 which I personally favor over the X4000. JD has both.

Speaking of JD, at the rate you're posting you might hit 40K by Monday.

Patrick
post #5 of 14 Old 01-23-2014, 09:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked: 3455
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

It's important to note that calibrating dual subs is done by Audyssey Sub EQ HT which can be featured with any version of Audyssey; however, is currently only on some models with XT32 to include the X4000. As long as the subs are identical and each placed the same distance from the main listening position (ie. mic #1), not having Sub EQ HT will not be as big of a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Collins View Post

The fact that you're going to buy two subs now is the key to this puzzle. Multiple sub issues are mitigated by buying identical subs. If you also can place them equidistant from the MLP you've reduced the need for Sub EQ HT.

I found going from XT to XT32 improved my bass response more than anything else. XT32 with a single sub sounds great.

You might see where I'm going. Why not get one sub now with the option of getting a second one later if needed, and use the difference now to buy an AVR with XT32 knowing that a future identical sub will hardly benefit from Sub EQ HT.

With the second sub money you could then get a TX-NR929 which I personally favor over the X4000. JD has both.

Just to add one more opinion.

I got 2 subs at the same distance and was using the XT on my Onkyo 886 and was very happy.
Once I did switch to the XT32 on my new Marantz AV8801, it did improve the sound overall and the bass in a much better way.
If you can afford the XT32, go for it.
But if you have to stay within a certain budget for any reason, just be happy and enjoy and don't lose sleep over-it!

Ray
post #6 of 14 Old 01-23-2014, 11:05 PM

Mentioned: 220 Post(s)
Quoted: 7381 Post(s)
Liked: 6456
See if you can stretch your budget to get an Onkyo 818. Audyssey XT32 is really worth it.

Being able to set levels & distances independently for each sub isn't as important. If you're using more than one subwoofer in order to get smoother bass response, then there is just as much chance of accomplishing that with subs at different distances as it is with subs that are time aligned.

So don't worry about Audyssey's Sub EQ HT feature (nice to have but not critical). However, do try to get a receiver with XT32.

Sanjay
post #7 of 14 Old 01-24-2014, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback guys! I am about to move into a new house. We have been living rent free and saving money while the house is being built. There are a lot of things that we need to purchase for the new home, furniture, blinds, fence ect. So I can't go too crazy on new audio gear, but I want to get some new stuff while I can. Once the house money is gone it will be hard to justify any future purchases for a while. Maybe I have my priorities out of line, but I would prefer getting the dual subs over a higher end receiver. I think I could swing the 4000 or TX-NR929 if I went the refurbished route, which I am not completely opposed to. 

post #8 of 14 Old 01-24-2014, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4797
Good luck. If you're going to finance the cost of a house, may as well include the amenities to make life in that house acceptable, whether those are updates to the property or some furnishings/amenities what's the difference as long as you're reasonable about it? I just bought a house (last time I did that was like 30 years ago!), but no loan, but I had I gotten (ok, been able to get) a loan I was going to borrow a bit more than the bare minimum for the house itself to cover some immediate cash expenses to make the house "comfortable" so that I could use my liquid cash without cashing in investments as I ended up doing.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-24-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Formula View Post

Thanks for the feedback guys! I am about to move into a new house. We have been living rent free and saving money while the house is being built. There are a lot of things that we need to purchase for the new home, furniture, blinds, fence ect. So I can't go too crazy on new audio gear, but I want to get some new stuff while I can. Once the house money is gone it will be hard to justify any future purchases for a while. Maybe I have my priorities out of line, but I would prefer getting the dual subs over a higher end receiver. I think I could swing the 4000 or TX-NR929 if I went the refurbished route, which I am not completely opposed to. 

Might not have to go refurbished ... you never know. wink.gif
RayWK likes this.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-24-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:

That we do indeed. And it will take a bit longer as I only average about 25-30/day. smile.gif
post #11 of 14 Old 01-25-2014, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Well JD it's kinda cold here in Flahda right now, in fact you might even have to wear long pants to go outside. So you might just as well stay in and crank out those posts.

Oops, I think someone from upstate NY just threw a snowball this way.

Patrick
post #12 of 14 Old 01-25-2014, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked: 3455
Quote:

Well JD it's kinda cold here in Flahda right now, in fact you might even have to wear long pants to go outside. So you might just as well stay in and crank out those posts.

Oops, I think someone from upstate NY just threw a snowball this way.

Nah, it was from Cold Lake alberta biggrin.gif

Ray
post #13 of 14 Old 01-31-2014, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Good luck. If you're going to finance the cost of a house, may as well include the amenities to make life in that house acceptable, whether those are updates to the property or some furnishings/amenities what's the difference as long as you're reasonable about it? I just bought a house (last time I did that was like 30 years ago!), but no loan, but I had I gotten (ok, been able to get) a loan I was going to borrow a bit more than the bare minimum for the house itself to cover some immediate cash expenses to make the house "comfortable" so that I could use my liquid cash without cashing in investments as I ended up doing.

From my understanding I don't think you can roll items like that into mortgages anymore. We went over allowance on most everything so the budget is maxed out as it is. Just to get a new washer and dryer the builder had to write it up as "additional appliance allowance" as a washer and dryer techinally can't be on a mortgage. I guess you could add additional allowances to other items in the home to disguise an audio budget, but regardless I don't think I want to be paying on the audio gear for 30 years. :eek:  

post #14 of 14 Old 01-31-2014, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Might not have to go refurbished ... you never know. wink.gif

JD I will definitely send you a PM after closing! Should be closing in the next few weeks and then I can start ordering stuff. Right now the bank is watching the accounts like a hawk. I think I am more excited about getting to order subs and a new receiver than I am about the house! 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Str Dn1040 7 2 Channel 1050 Watt A V Receiver , Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page