Yamaha RX-V663: Intermittent/No Audio in Front Right Speaker - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-23-2014, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello all!  My first forum post after searching the internet and this forum for months.  My sincerest apologies if this is already been discussed and I somehow missed the thread!

My Yamaha RX-V663 receiver started intermittently losing audio on the front right audio channel.  It wouldn't be until half way through a movie that I would realize that no audio was transmitting from the channel.

I have done the following troubleshooting:
-Replaced all speaker wire

-Installed banana plugs for front speaker connections

-Swapped Left with Right (to verify the speaker in question is working properly, audio loss would switch to the opposite speaker when plugging the Left speaker wire into the Right speaker output on the receiver.)
-Turning on "test tones" and selecting each speaker input volumes.  Lose audio upon selecting Right front speaker.

After rebooting the receiver a few times, the audio would come back then slowly fizzle out.  

Any ideas on how to remedy this?  I really don't want to replace the receiver if I don't have to as it works flawlessly with the exception of this new failure!

Thank you in advance!  

-Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-01-2014, 03:59 AM

Liked: 10

I've just been through almost exactly the same problem with my Yamaha 663 receiver.

At first, it was the centre channel that would drop in and out at random. I replaced the speaker wire, which seemed to fix the issue temporarily.

Then, the rear-left and sometimes front-left would be completely absent from the mix. Running the test tone confirmed this.

Interestingly, it almost always happened on cold mornings, and usually the channels would come back after the receiver had been on for an hour or two (although not both consistently). I guess that points to some kind of warming up issue?

Like yourself, after having no luck swapping speakers, rewiring and adding banana plugs, I swapped out the receiver for a friend's unit (RX-V540) and the problem disappeared. Swapped the 663 unit back in and instantly the channels were missing again.

I decided to depart from Yamaha and picked up a nice Onkyo unit to get back up and running,.

I'd be interested to know whether you get this issue resolved, as it's been playing on my mind. Such a cruel problem to plague an otherwise nice piece of gear!

post #3 of 4 Old 10-20-2014, 05:07 PM

Liked: 0
Hi all. Thanks for your posts. I have the Yamaha A3020 with intermittent center channel. Any luck with remedy on your units?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-28-2014, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
This is probably one of the speaker relays that are showing signs of wear. I had same problem a while back and I had to hit it (not too hard) on the right side that is where relays are and sound returned,I remember looked on the internet to get the relays and replace them but I never did because the problem fixed by itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V663 Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page