NOOB - Help with AV Setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-28-2014, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Finally building (hopefully) my dream theater/audio setup. For now, my questions are about the AV receiver/amp/stereo hookup. I will be using the system for 60/40 video/stereo. I "know" great sound/clarity and will be upset if Dark Side of the Moon doesn't floor me.

Soooo I am about to purchase a pair of Paradigm Studio-100 that I want to use in my 5.1 home theater setup. I know I need a Home Theater Preamp/Surround Processor. Let's use the Emotiva UMC-200 as the example (yes, I know it is 7.1). Now, I have been told that if you want the best Stereo sound from CDs/SACDs, etc, that you need a Stereo Preamp. So exactly how do you connect that all together?? I know you can just use the HT Preamp in Stereo mode, but I want the better sound. How do you connect a separate Stereo Preamp AND HT Preamp to the same front speakers? It probably has been asked on the forum, but my searching skills have failed me!

My intended setup:
Fronts/Stereo - Paradigm Studio-100
Center - Paradigm Studio CC-690
Surrounds - Paradigm Studio ADP-590
Sub - SVS SB13-Ultra
AMP (Fronts) - Emotiva XPA-2
AMP (Center/Surrounds) - Emotiva XPA-3
HT Preamp - Emotiva UMC-200
Stereo Preamp - ??????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-28-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 543

You have been told wrong.  You will not get better sound from a stereo preamp than a multichannel preamp.  The number of channels it deals with has nothing to do with its quality.  And good preamps these days are cheap and easy, so any decent brand will be fine.  If you want to waste your money, go ahead and buy a preamp that will do nothing for your sound.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-28-2014, 11:38 AM
FMW
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1653 Post(s)
Liked: 1708
Correct. The crazy audiophile community lives under the impression that products designed for home theater aren't suitable for music. What they are suitable for is sound in whatever form it is recorded. What you intend to buy will work fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 2 Stereo Power Amplifier , Emotiva Umc 200 7 1 Home Theater Preamp Surround Processor

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page