Please help me choose an AVR - here are my feature requirements - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 02-05-2014, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all,

I had a Pioneer VSX 822 that was malfunctioning that I returned. I'm looking for a new AVR. I have a 5.1 set of the Pioneer Andrew Jones - 4x SP-BS22, 1x SP-C22, and 1x SW-8MK2, 6 ohm.

1. I'd like the AVR to have something MCACC-like for auto calibration, but I would like to be able to drill down into those settings and tweak them after the MCACC has done its business to fine tune things myself.

2. I'd like to be able to easily save and restore multiple calibration settings for different optimal listening positions and times. For instance, I'd like a "general" setting for the middle of my room, a "couch" setting for optimal on the couch, a "night" setting that turns down the bass, etc. The VSX 822 didn't have this and it frustrated me. I'd like to be able to do this without having to go through a lot of menus, a button on the remote that cycles through named preset settings would be ideal.

3. Of lesser importance, I'd like the AVR to be able to multiplex sound and video from different inputs. For instance, I'd like to have the video from the HD set-top-box to be routed through to the TV (for a sports game, etc) but the sound to be routed from another source (digital, or analog, for music and what not). I know this can be done using an HDMI-splitter and running the video from the HD set-top-box to the TV directly, but I figure it would be a cleaner solution to have this done in the AVR.

4. Analog to digital video conversion is not very important for me. If it's there, that's nice, but if it's going to spike the price up a lot, I don't care for it.

If there are any other goodie features that I've missed that you believe I should pay attention to, please let me know. I'm kind of a newbie at this so please bear with me.

Thanks in advance!!

-Saicho

wafflecopter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-06-2014, 04:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Liked: 2852
What's your budget?

The receivers that I'm aware of which provide for more tweaking of their automated room EQ tend to be rather expensive, like the high end of Anthem's lineup.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #3 of 14 Old 02-06-2014, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter

Budget doesn't matter much. Let's say the cheapest decent AVR that has #1 and #2.

wafflecopter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 02-06-2014, 04:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Liked: 2852
Anthem with ARC (Anthem Room Correction, not Audio Return Channel) seems to be the closest match. While Denon and Marantz receivers will let you save and restore settings, Audyssey doesn't allow tweaking the response curve.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #5 of 14 Old 02-06-2014, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Audyssey doesn't allow tweaking, but it does have Dynamic Volume which you can turn on and off at night.

Projector: Epson Home Cinema 2100; Receiver: Sony STR-DN1080; Speakers: Monitor Audio Controlled Performance Inwalls and Inceilings; Subwoofer(s): SVS PC-2000; Bluray Player: Sony BDP-S6500; Remote: Simple Controls; Cables: Monoprice
post #6 of 14 Old 02-06-2014, 07:08 AM
FMW
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1654 Post(s)
Liked: 1711
Seems to me you just need to go a little further up the Pioneer product line. Many of the Pioneers allow you to have saveable and assignable MCACC settings - even my 8 year old VSX92 does that. Be advised that you may be dealing with inaudible differences when you just move the mic and rerun MCACC. Personally, I consider this feature to be more marketing than practical and have never used it personally after experimenting with it. The Yamaha YPAO, like MCACC provide for adjustments after auto calibration. I consider that an important feature and do use it.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-06-2014, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

Be advised that you may be dealing with inaudible differences when you just move the mic and rerun MCACC. Personally, I consider this feature to be more marketing than practical and have never used it personally after experimenting with it. The Yamaha YPAO, like MCACC provide for adjustments after auto calibration. I consider that an important feature and do use it.

Do you consider YPAO actually practical when compared to MCACC if I were to just leave it as-is after auto calibration (I won't, but just asking). The RX-V475 seems to fit well.

-Saicho

wafflecopter
post #8 of 14 Old 02-06-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 544

As far as I know, no one has done a proper comparison of the various different automatic setup systems.  However, they all seem to be good at setting levels and delays pretty accurately these days, but are not generally to be relied upon for selecting the size of the main speakers and the crossover points.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-06-2014, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saicho View Post

The RX-V475 seems to fit well.

Actually, after reading the manual, I don't see a way to save and restore multiple YPAO settings on this model. Am I reading something incorrectly?

wafflecopter
post #10 of 14 Old 02-06-2014, 01:52 PM
FMW
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saicho View Post

Do you consider YPAO actually practical when compared to MCACC if I were to just leave it as-is after auto calibration (I won't, but just asking). The RX-V475 seems to fit well.

-Saicho

I think so. I think all the room calibration routines make a contribution. I've never used YPAO but there is no reason to think it doesn't work well.
post #11 of 14 Old 02-06-2014, 01:56 PM
FMW
AVS Forum Special Member

I did your homework for you. The VSX 1123 has 6 MCACC memories. It's a couple of hundred more than the 823 but has a lot of other features as well.
post #12 of 14 Old 02-06-2014, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Take a look at the Anthem MRX AVR series. They have two config settings that maybe what you are looking for. There room correction called ARC is supposed to be really good.
post #13 of 14 Old 02-07-2014, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 123
The Anthem MRX does have excellent room correction and offers a lot of flexibility in setting up your inputs, but it's twice the price of the Pioneer. Overkill in this case IMO.

Projector: Epson Home Cinema 2100; Receiver: Sony STR-DN1080; Speakers: Monitor Audio Controlled Performance Inwalls and Inceilings; Subwoofer(s): SVS PC-2000; Bluray Player: Sony BDP-S6500; Remote: Simple Controls; Cables: Monoprice
post #14 of 14 Old 02-07-2014, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your advice. I was circling around the Anthem MRX for a while, but couldn't justify paying that high of a price for a piece of equipment that I can't utilize 100%. I decided on the VSX 1123, I think it will be good enough for what I'm looking for at a reasonable enough price.

wafflecopter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 822 K 5 1 Channel 3d A V Receiv Bundle , Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers Sp Bs22 Lr , Pioneer Andrew Jones Sp C22 Center Channel Speaker , Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed Powered Subwoofer Sw 8mk2 , Yamaha Rx V475 5 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Pioneer Channel Av Receiver Vsx 1123 K

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page