Yamaha RX-V*77 Owners Thread (2014 models) - Page 57 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2911Likes

post #1681 of 2135 Old 11-04-2015, 12:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Yes. Whether that's due to the 1.55 firmware update, or the new "HDMI board" they claim to have replaced, or both, I cannot say. But what I can say is, the networking issue I began experiencing with v1.5, has been fixed.
That's good it's still working. I looked on Yamaha's website and 1.55 firmware isn't available unfortunately. Not sure what I plan to do. I think I'll wait for a little bit to see if the new firmware becomes available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 2135 Old 11-04-2015, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi all,

I am just wondering if anyone has seen black screen issues on their x77s. I have a 677 that I bought factory refurbished from Amazon a few months back. Overall I am satisfied except for very seldom loss of audio/video (~2 secs). I have two displays (TV and Proj) with different cable lengths (6ft and 25 ft) and have seen the issue on both inputs so I am ruling out the cables. Have not tried different inputs.

So anyone seen similar black screens?

BTW,

I have not updated the firmware since I bought it because I really had no need for it. Not sure if a firmware update may solve my issue or break something else. :^)

Any ideas? Thanks!
post #1683 of 2135 Old 11-04-2015, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

First post on here as I bought a RXV 377 today. I was hoping for some help. If you have dts going into the amp via cdmi should DTS come up on the display screen? It might not but thought it was unusual.

I also purchased Tannoy TFX5.1 speakers and it has selected the centre speaker as large. It is bigger then all the other speakers but is large right?

Many thanks for your help.

Welshrobbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1684 of 2135 Old 11-04-2015, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by welshrobbo View Post
Hi,

First post on here as I bought a RXV 377 today. I was hoping for some help. If you have dts going into the amp via cdmi should DTS come up on the display screen? It might not but thought it was unusual.

I also purchased Tannoy TFX5.1 speakers and it has selected the centre speaker as large. It is bigger then all the other speakers but is large right?

Many thanks for your help.

Welshrobbo
If the AVR is receiving DTS then it will display DTS as the Audio Decoder. You may have to press the remote's Info button several times to get to Audio Decoder.

If you have connected a subwoofer to the AVR's sub out, then it will probably be best to manually set your left, center, and right speakers to SMALL. This would be especially true of the center speaker.
post #1685 of 2135 Old 11-04-2015, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lils Roro View Post
If the AVR is receiving DTS then it will display DTS as the Audio Decoder. You may have to press the remote's Info button several times to get to Audio Decoder.

If you have connected a subwoofer to the AVR's sub out, then it will probably be best to manually set your left, center, and right speakers to SMALL. This would be especially true of the center speaker.
Thanks very much for this. I am using Rpi2 and my old set up did show DTS so just thought it was strange it didn't show on a more up to date amp, I will check the info button as advised.

I did actually manage to get the amp to automatically set the speaker to small. Looks like I had the sub turned down too much during the automatic process.

Thanks again for your help and quick reply.
post #1686 of 2135 Old 11-08-2015, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 208
I've been putting together (as money becomes available) a 5:1 for my girlfriend. She now has a Yamaha RX-V577, a "55" Samsung, and a 5-speaker Chane set-up. The subwoofer will come at a later date. She recently inherited several boxes of pristine vinyl records so she asked for (and got) my vintage Technics quartz direct drive turntable. Then it dawned on me. "Darn, now I need a pre-amp!" So, at this point, I'm looking for a somewhat inexpensive preamp that's dependable and will fill the bill. I've already done some research and have a somewhat small list. I'd like to see if there are any I missed. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

post #1687 of 2135 Old 11-08-2015, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Smudge, at the bottom of your post you say you are not suffering from insanity but giving a girlfriend an SL series Technics is just plain nuts! If you break up with her you may never see that turntable again!! Don't let her anywhere near it!! Here is what you need to do. Go to the Amazon link I will post below. When you get a hundred bucks together buy her the phonograph in the link. It has a pre-amp built in and will do her just fine. If she shows you the door you are only out a hundred bucks and that is a whole lot better than being out a vintage Technics. Take it from an old man who has been there before - more than once!
http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-LP.../dp/B002GYTPAE

shortspark

Last edited by milacqua; 11-08-2015 at 11:01 AM. Reason: spell
post #1688 of 2135 Old 11-08-2015, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

*hee hee* Milacqua, I appreciate the kind advice but when I say girlfriend, I mean an adult woman who I've been with for many, many years. We're like two peas in a pod. I couldn't even begin to tell you what she has done for me and my daughter.

Anyhow, the turntable is in her possession and I still need a rather inexpensive preamp sans turntable.

post #1689 of 2135 Old 11-08-2015, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Well, that is different then. I thought you might have been a young guy with a crush on some gal but I see now that is not the case. I've had luck with electronic stuff like this (although never a pre-amp) at B&H. They are reputable and I have always had good service at good prices. Check them out here and you'll find something that will work in whatever budget you have:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Ph...9/N/3992462082

shortspark
post #1690 of 2135 Old 11-08-2015, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
577--every time I turn on the receiver I have to switch it to the audio mode I want. Is there a way that it always turns on on a certain mode?
post #1691 of 2135 Old 11-08-2015, 09:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Much obliged, Milacqua. I'll check it out tomorrow morning.

post #1692 of 2135 Old 11-09-2015, 04:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfunk44 View Post
577--every time I turn on the receiver I have to switch it to the audio mode I want. Is there a way that it always turns on on a certain mode?
Pressing one of the remote's SCENE buttons will take the receiver out of standby & select the related input. It will also theoretically turn on the related devices if HDMI CEC is used and the devices are CEC compatible. (Since I use a Harmony remote, I haven't experimented with CEC to see what it will actually do.)

AFAIK, pressing the power button causes the receiver to select the input it was using when turned off & there is no default mode.

Last edited by Lils Roro; 11-09-2015 at 04:45 AM.
post #1693 of 2135 Old 11-09-2015, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucuy View Post
Hi all,

I am just wondering if anyone has seen black screen issues on their x77s. I have a 677 that I bought factory refurbished from Amazon a few months back. Overall I am satisfied except for very seldom loss of audio/video (~2 secs). I have two displays (TV and Proj) with different cable lengths (6ft and 25 ft) and have seen the issue on both inputs so I am ruling out the cables. Have not tried different inputs.

BTW,

I have not updated the firmware since I bought it because I really had no need for it. Not sure if a firmware update may solve my issue or break something else. :^)

Any ideas? Thanks!
Last Try. Anyone seen this issue (above) ?
post #1694 of 2135 Old 11-09-2015, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 80
So both your tv and pj get the blackouts. I agree, that likely rules out the HDMI cables connected to your video displays. Does it happen with all HDMI video sources? If you have only one, try plugging it into another input to see if the problem repeats. If it does, try a new cable with that source. I'd ask Yamaha if this is a known problem that may have been fixed with a firmware update.

bg
post #1695 of 2135 Old 11-09-2015, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garciab View Post
So both your tv and pj get the blackouts.
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by garciab View Post
Does it happen with all HDMI video sources? If you have only one, try plugging it into another input to see if the problem repeats. If it does, try a new cable with that source.
I am not 100% sure since it happens very seldom. I have 3 sources. I have started noting down which source I am on when it happens. I guess I will continue monitoring to know for sure then call Yamaha if needed
post #1696 of 2135 Old 11-11-2015, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You were correct, that worked. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lils Roro View Post
Pressing one of the remote's SCENE buttons will take the receiver out of standby & select the related input. It will also theoretically turn on the related devices if HDMI CEC is used and the devices are CEC compatible. (Since I use a Harmony remote, I haven't experimented with CEC to see what it will actually do.)

AFAIK, pressing the power button causes the receiver to select the input it was using when turned off & there is no default mode.
post #1697 of 2135 Old 11-15-2015, 03:08 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsfan21 View Post
That's good it's still working. I looked on Yamaha's website and 1.55 firmware isn't available unfortunately. Not sure what I plan to do. I think I'll wait for a little bit to see if the new firmware becomes available.
the firmware is not yet available,
even the 677 finds the net
possible?
post #1698 of 2135 Old 11-15-2015, 08:55 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Hi all,

BTW,

Any ideas? Thanks!
This just started happening to me on Sunday. I purchased a factory refurbished 677 last Christmas on eBay. I came home Friday night and turned on my setup tuned to HDMI 1 which my htpc is attached to. My screen was black and every time I types on my keyboard I noticed that the receiver kept trying to connect. I thought my graphics card died so I tired the ps3 on (HDMI 3) and was able to watch Netflix all night. Yesterday I built my new htpc and attached it to HDMI 2. It worked without any problems. I left my new htpc on over night with the rest of the gear turned off. This morning I turned on the TV and the receiver and I got. Black screen again. This time I knew I couldn't have blown up another graphics card. So I took all my sources even the desktop with the supposedly blown graphics card, plugged them into the TV directly and they all worked. Since the graphics card isn't blown I figured my receiver's HDMI inputs are dying.

I'm not sure what to do. I don't think Yamaha would warranty the unit or do I need to go buy a new receiver, which sucks and means I'll be out $350 after only a year of use which i thought I'd get at least 3 years out of waiting for the 4k standard to stabilize.

So what are my options?
post #1699 of 2135 Old 11-15-2015, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I was looking at my newspaper this morning and came across ABC Warehouse and seen a closeout price for the Yamaha RX-V677 for $298...$200 off regular price. Is this a good price for this model and are they any good? It most of the features I'm looking for except for Atmos which I may never use. Not sure if they have any in the ad just came out today. I want to drive up there today and look (if they have any in) and decide if that's what I want or not. I may get it, if my wife lets me..hehe. BTW is this a 2015 or a 2014 model?
Any thoughts on this??
post #1700 of 2135 Old 11-15-2015, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Anyone know how to disable auto play on network sources? When I change to pandora or dlna the music automatically starts playing.

Paradigm PW AMP, KEF Q100, Emotiva B1, Rythmik L12
post #1701 of 2135 Old 11-15-2015, 12:49 PM

I just picked up a Yamaha rx-v677 for $299.00. Was this a good buy? I have yet to open it up. Just debating whether I want to keep it or not. It was either this or a Onkyo 626 for $250 floor model.
post #1702 of 2135 Old 11-16-2015, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talguy View Post
This just started happening to me on Sunday. I purchased a factory refurbished 677 last Christmas on eBay. I came home Friday night and turned on my setup tuned to HDMI 1 which my htpc is attached to. My screen was black and every time I types on my keyboard I noticed that the receiver kept trying to connect. I thought my graphics card died so I tired the ps3 on (HDMI 3) and was able to watch Netflix all night. Yesterday I built my new htpc and attached it to HDMI 2. It worked without any problems. I left my new htpc on over night with the rest of the gear turned off. This morning I turned on the TV and the receiver and I got. Black screen again. This time I knew I couldn't have blown up another graphics card. So I took all my sources even the desktop with the supposedly blown graphics card, plugged them into the TV directly and they all worked. Since the graphics card isn't blown I figured my receiver's HDMI inputs are dying.

I'm not sure what to do. I don't think Yamaha would warranty the unit or do I need to go buy a new receiver, which sucks and means I'll be out $350 after only a year of use which i thought I'd get at least 3 years out of waiting for the 4k standard to stabilize.

So what are my options?
I bought refurbished from Amazon and recall I have a 1 year warranty from Yamaha. Not sure what Yamaha would do on an ebay purchase. Are your issues right after turning on? My issues are only happening during playback but very seldom.
post #1703 of 2135 Old 11-16-2015, 01:02 PM

I just bought this receiver yesterday and I'm having issues knowing when the receiver is playing blu ray discs in Dolby digital DTS HD-MA or True-HD?. There is no indicator on the display. I have a older Sony that will light up a blue light and display when in DTS mode. I have no idea on this model when I am. And the sound is way to soft I have to crank up the volume knob way up to get some decent sound, the Sony was much louder with no effort. I want to enjoy this but those are my biggest problems now. Please help me out with these issues. Thank you.
post #1704 of 2135 Old 11-16-2015, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 167
On the front display there is an info button, keep pressing it and it will cycle though info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1705 of 2135 Old 11-17-2015, 10:27 PM

Funny how this will detect and play DTS HD Master audio from a external HD via HDMI but not from a bluray player that plays all forms of DTS. Everything is set up to play DTS on the player. It played just fine with my old Sony but no this Yamaha.. The only thing that keeps showing up is PCM which is not set on the bluray player..If I can't get ths figured out soon this is going back and trying another brand. Need some help here please. This thing is bugging me to death.
post #1706 of 2135 Old 11-18-2015, 03:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye1966 View Post
Funny how this will detect and play DTS HD Master audio from a external HD via HDMI but not from a bluray player that plays all forms of DTS. Everything is set up to play DTS on the player. It played just fine with my old Sony but no this Yamaha.. The only thing that keeps showing up is PCM which is not set on the bluray player..If I can't get ths figured out soon this is going back and trying another brand. Need some help here please. This thing is bugging me to death.
I'd suggest connecting the bluray player to receiver with digital audio and playing any flavor of DTS. If receiver displays DTS as Audio Encoder then the problem is the HDMI handshake between the bluray player, receiver, and TV.
post #1707 of 2135 Old 11-18-2015, 06:17 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
I bought refurbished from Amazon and recall I have a 1 year warranty from Yamaha. Not sure what Yamaha would do on an ebay purchase. Are your issues right after turning on? My issues are only happening during playback but very seldom.
My issue was yes right as I turned it on I would not see any of the video output from my sources. Weirdly last night I was able to watch my HTPC using HDMI port 2-5 last night. For some reason HDMI port 1 still doesn't want to work.
post #1708 of 2135 Old 11-18-2015, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by idlebrain123 View Post
Hi,
I'm wondering since 377 doesn't have Wifi, does anybody tried to connect with Wifi dongle to the USB provided? Does this work?
Quote:
Last Try. Anyone seen this issue (above) ?
I've had similar issues on my 477 hooked up to a Panasonic as640 TV. I have 2 HDMI cables, one is an amazon brand and the other I bought in a specialist cable shop (highly rated by customers). The amazon one was to connect to the TV and the other cable is longer which I wanted to use to connect any extenral devices like a PC. Since I swapped over to the longer cable I think Ive been pretty problem free, so it makes me wonder if the Yamaha or the combination of the Yamaha with my TV is extremely sensitive to cable quality. Im still not 100% it wont continue to be a problem but crossing my fingers...

good luck!

----------------------------------------------------
Yamaha RX V477 + 2x Wharfedale Diamond 9.1
post #1709 of 2135 Old 11-18-2015, 10:29 PM

I finally got my network setup. But I can't seem to locate where I need to go and update the firmware. Sorry, but this network AVR is new to me and its going to take some time to figure some things out.
post #1710 of 2135 Old 11-18-2015, 10:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3261 Post(s)
Liked: 2568
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye1966 View Post
I finally got my network setup. But I can't seem to locate where I need to go and update the firmware. Sorry, but this network AVR is new to me and its going to take some time to figure some things out.
On Screen Menu > Information
Figuring things out can be a lot quicker if you read the Owners manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
(RX-V679) , arc , audio , receiver , RX-V*77 , Sharp 70 Inch Full Hd Aquos 3d Led Smart Tv , sound loss , speaker advice , yamaha 677 , yamaha rx v377

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page