Yamaha RX-V*77 Owners Thread (2014 models) - Page 67 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2910Likes

post #1981 of 2135 Old 04-05-2017, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked: 1068
Yamaha RX-V377 - ARC stopped working?

Nope, ARC is a line level, SPDIF-like audio output that rides back on the HDMI OUT from your AVR back into your AVR to be played through the amp. Think of it like the optical AUDIO OUT from your TV or your Blu-ray player into a receiver. It doesn't vary in volume.

CEC is the control code feature that lets a command to change the volume sent to the TV be passed to the AVR that is actually playing the sound, and adjust THAT component's volume. If your Blu-ray player had a volume button, it would do the same (with HDMI-CEC enabled).

More info in the OM, p. 76.

Spoiler!
OOPS, MY BAD. The 377 only supports device control for iPods and connected USB devices (see remote diagram, #12). Programmable remotes come with higher numbered AVRs. Sorry to mislead you. :}

"Sell crazy some place else -- we're all stocked up here."
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 2135 Old 04-27-2017, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Good Afternoon!

I hope this post finds someone who can help. I've been a member of the forums for quite some time, but have only updated my setup very sporadically. About a year ago, I purchased a house. This house came with a theater that included a projector and in wall speakers.

Before we get to my questions, here's a list of my components.

Hardware
Epson HC 3020 Projector
Yamaha RX-677 AVR w/ latest firmware (1.91?) & wired internet connectivity
DirectTV Genie-mini
Playstation 4
XBox One
All latest HDMI cables from Monoprice
Amazon Basics Speaker wire w/ gold banana plugs
Polk TSi 400 Front Speakers
Polk CS10 Center Speaker
Polk PSW505 12 Inch Sub
I'm not sure of the brand of the in-wall speakers. I've disconnected the fronts to use the Polks, but left the surround and rears (ceiling) hooked up.

Current Receiver Settings
Power Amp: 7ch + 1 zone
All speakers set as Small
Speaker distances entered in properly
80hz Bass Crossover
YPAO: Natural EQ
I ran the YPAO calibration w/ the mic, but have since changed the distances and individual speaker DB levels to be more correct
Dynamic Range Maximum
Enhancer On

Current Gaming System Settings
Xbox One: 7.1 uncompressed sound
PS4: Linear PCM

I use the PS4 for blu-rays and netflix. Both systems for games (duh), and watch a lot of shows on the DirectTV box.

So, I'm not really having a "problem" per say. But what I'm looking for is optimization here, and I feel like I'm not getting it. I love this receiver, and the sound I get. I've impressed lots of company by ripping the occasional blu-ray, but as someone who's kind of OCD and notices things, I still don't feel like I've got everything dialed in properly. This is the first time I've had a full 7.1 setup. I was using a 5.1 setup at my old place, and bi-amped the front Polks and it was incredible. But now that it's 7.1, I'm hearing (or not hearing?) things that I feel should be... just a bit better.

My main question is kind of an overall one and it relates really to audio only. And that is: What audio modes & settings should I be using for games on each system, blu-rays/netflix on the PS4, and standard TV watching on DirectTV? And should the gaming systems be set to something different than they are now?

I've noticed benefits and negatives from a lot of the different modes on the receiver. For example, in gaming, the 7.1 Channel Stereo mode sounds exceptional, but it sounds like the surround & rears are barely even kicking. When I use "Straight" however, I can hear them quite often, for example rotating the camera around my character in Mass Effect, the ambient sound rotates with it. the problem with this mode is that the sound in the front and mostly center speaker sounds almost muffled, and I'm not sure if that's the subwoofer doing it or not.

I was using the individual movie mode DSP's such as Drama, Adventure, Sci-Fi depending on the show I'm watching on netflix or DirectTV, but have since noticed the 7.1 Stereo mode there gives more sound for the buck, but still doesn't fire off that surround as much as I'd like. On the flip side, using these DSP modes on a pure Blu-Ray does feel a bit more maximized than the 7.1 Stereo mode.

To summarize, I'm just confused. I've got most of the various "cinema 3d" deals turned off in the settings, and after reading around have been trying to send as much unfiltered sound to the receiver as possible, while also letting the receiver just play it without any of these enhancements. (Except the actual "enhancer" option in there, there is a huge difference with that on and off.) The main thing that's brought me to making this post was the lack of involvement from my surround speakers. I even have them all at +10DB in the speaker setup. The distances to my chair are measured exactly. The fronts sound amazing, the sub rattles, the center channel is crisp. I'm simply not feeling like I'm maximizing this incredible setup I've been blessed with and would love any help any of you could give me. Thanks for reading, I appreciate it. If you need any more information from me please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
Mike

Last edited by jester959; 04-28-2017 at 12:15 PM.
post #1983 of 2135 Old 04-27-2017, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jester959 View Post
Good Afternoon!

Regards,
Mike
I use Direct for everything. When listening to music it is Stereo with a sub.
ChromeJob likes this.

Last edited by Kevinw; 04-27-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1984 of 2135 Old 04-27-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinw View Post
I use Direct for everything. When listening to music it is Stereo with a sub.
Do you mean the mode "Straight"? The front/center sounds incredibly muted and maybe a little muffled when I use that mode I feel, but it is the only one where I can noticeably hear the surround & rears.

But yeah, when I stream Spotify or anything like that to it, the 7.1 Stereo mode is king. More interested in what I can do to optimize gaming, blu-rays and TV programming.

Last edited by jester959; 04-28-2017 at 12:16 PM.
post #1985 of 2135 Old 04-27-2017, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Do you mean the DSP mode "Straight"? The front/center sounds incredibly muted and maybe a little muffled when I use that mode I feel, but it is the only one where I can noticeably hear the surround & rears.

But yeah, when I stream Spotify or anything like that to it, the 7.1 Stereo mode is king. More interested in what I can do to optimize gaming, blu-rays and TV programming.
Correct. 7.1 stereo is fine if I am not in a listening position- like in front of the stereo. Using Pandora/ Spotify and my record player. Since the source is 2 channel that's what I use. I also use extra bass in 2.1 channel mode. the all channel stereo is great for parties or having music on while moving around. Really the best is what you hear as best.
As for Blue rays etc I still use what comes from the disc/ source itself. I really don't like DSP modes since. Semi-purist, the least processing the better unless the source has an issue.
post #1986 of 2135 Old 04-27-2017, 11:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Technically, "Straight" is not a DSP mode. Read the manual, it will explain.

Sounds like you should run YPAO or at least adjust the channels that sound "muffled.:

Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #1987 of 2135 Old 04-28-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
Technically, "Straight" is not a DSP mode. Read the manual, it will explain.

Sounds like you should run YPAO or at least adjust the channels that sound "muffled.:
Well, ok. I can edit my post, heh.

Anyways, I did run YPAO. All that I can see that it does is automatically sets your speaker distance and individual speaker volume levels. I have the surround & rears almost maxed out still.
post #1988 of 2135 Old 04-29-2017, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yamaha RX-V*77 Owners Thread (2014 models)

Quote:
Well, ok. I can edit my post, heh.

Anyways, I did run YPAO. All that I can see that it does is automatically sets your speaker distance and individual speaker volume levels. I have the surround & rears almost maxed out still.
Hehe, I wasn't asking you to correct your post, just providing clarification. Straight is the mode you want while trying to figure this out. Turn off enhancements like Enhancer, Adaptive DRC, YPAO PEQ modes. You said you were using the "Natural" PEQ mode, try Through. Just curious what does the "Flat" mode show for each speaker? It may be applying some serious EQ to the fronts to equalize with the backs.

(EDIT)

I'd run YPAO again do not adjust the distances. Someone reminded me recently that the distance setting is for delays more than "distance," and should be left at what YPAO determined the speakers needed.

You might try YPAO with the rear in-wall speakers disconnected, and see if the fronts still turn up "muffled." Might be those unknown wall speakers are throwing the AVR off.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 04-29-2017 at 08:53 AM. Reason: reread original post
post #1989 of 2135 Old 04-29-2017, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Try changing to size to small and see if that makes a difference.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
ChromeJob likes this.
post #1990 of 2135 Old 05-01-2017, 09:27 AM

As noted in my OP, I do have them all set to small.

Chrome - Thanks for the information. I set the EQ to Through, turned off 'YPAO volume' and 'Adaptive DRC', and made sure 'Extended Surround' was set to 'Auto'. According to the online manual, this more or less needs to be enabled to get those rears involved when the input source is 5.1 or higher. I had been messing with it a lot lately and set it to off which was the wrong move.

I'm happy to report that using 'Straight' on my DirectTV DVR shows (5.1 sources anyways) now sounds pretty spectacular. Fargo and The Americans that I watched last night for example were exceptional in Straight mode. American Crime on ABC, though, is a 2.0 channel source and of course sounds awful in 'Straight' mode. It sounds like 7.1 Stereo when the source is a 2.0 source is the way to go.

I have yet to test games and Blu-Ray's but I was pretty excited to get my TV shows figured out.

So does anyone actually use some of the other DRC modes like Adventure/Drama/etc, or Action Game using a full 7.1 setup?
Regards,
Mike
ChromeJob likes this.
post #1991 of 2135 Old 05-01-2017, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hrm. How could a program that is broadcast in 2.0 sound "awful" in Straight? That's how they send it. Unless it's encoded in Dolby Surround (check on that, will ya), in which you can enable Dolby ProLogic II to decode it to 5.1 / 6.1-simulated.

I rarely use the Cinema DSP modes. I have the Mono Movie adjusted because some dumb bunnies at studios encode original monophonic tracks to 1.0 which prevents me using Dolby PL II Music to spread the audio across the front 3 speakers a little bit. That's it.

post #1992 of 2135 Old 05-02-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Hrm. How could a program that is broadcast in 2.0 sound "awful" in Straight? That's how they send it. Unless it's encoded in Dolby Surround (check on that, will ya), in which you can enable Dolby ProLogic II to decode it to 5.1 / 6.1-simulated.

I rarely use the Cinema DSP modes. I have the Mono Movie adjusted because some dumb bunnies at studios encode original monophonic tracks to 1.0 which prevents me using Dolby PL II Music to spread the audio across the front 3 speakers a little bit. That's it.
Well only the front 3 speakers were lit up when using Straight on the ABC show. Wasn't near as crisp as the other shows. But, you're right on the other part. The info screen said it was Dolby Digital, but that it was also sending at only 2.0. I changed it to 7.1 Stereo and it was fine, but after reading the manual and your comment it sounds like I should use the SUR.DECODE mode to PLIIx Movie or even Neo:6 Cinema when the audio source is like that?

Regards,
Mike
post #1993 of 2135 Old 05-02-2017, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I leave my living room surround system set on Dolby PLII Music for everything. Multichannel audio gets separated 'Straight' to each speaker its supposed to, and Stereo audio gets matrixed into virtual surround.

My upstairs room consists of 2 stereo speakers, so I run everything 'Straight' to those (I have the Blu Ray player and TV set downmix multichannel and send PCM stereo signal to my receiver)

I can't make any of the other sound programs sound any good - they all just make me hear "echo" all over the place.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #1994 of 2135 Old 05-02-2017, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 51
have yamaha TSR7790 with 5.1 Def Tech 8060 LCR/8040 surround with sony 940C TV- have Time Warner Cable w/Cisco 9865 6 tuner DVR-

I'm also having same issue with some ABC shows- Some ABC shows cause the sound to be really strange- like recessed & come not from center speaker or LR correctly but more thru surrounds- regardless of what DSP i use or using straight- or on surround & using DPLII- its just not correct & hard to hear- only way i can listen is if i use 7 channel stereo then it listenable as its coming thru all speakers the same.- any other mode its hard to hear the dialogue- its like its recessed & not coming thru correct speakers- i've sent emails to local station & TWC but got no responses. - its not all ABC shows but some of are like this & then a few episodes later of same show its back to normal sound again- very weird-
post #1995 of 2135 Old 05-03-2017, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yamaha RX-V*77 Owners Thread (2014 models)

Quote:
Well only the front 3 speakers were lit up when using Straight on the ABC show. Wasn't near as crisp as the other shows. But, you're right on the other part. The info screen said it was Dolby Digital, but that it was also sending at only 2.0. I changed it to 7.1 Stereo and it was fine, but after reading the manual and your comment it sounds like I should use the SUR.DECODE mode to PLIIx Movie or even Neo:6 Cinema when the audio source is like that?

Regards,

Mike
Yes. Dolby Digital can have any number of channels up to 5.1. It can be 4.0 (e.g. one of the sex, lies, and videotape releases faithfully reproducing the theatrical mix), it can be 2.0, it can even be 1.0. It's jus the audio stream they're using to transport the original channels of the content.

The contentmay have been encoded in Dolby Surround (e.g. older home video releases from the 90s, or 70s/80s/90s movies that were released in a "Dolby Stereo" two-track 35mm print to be decoded to 4.0 or 5.0 presentation in a theater), so your Dolby PL II decoder will correctly matrix the content to the proper speakers.

As another member said, some Yamaha receivers will switch to SUR DECODE when there is no audio stream or 2.0, but then switch to Straight when it receives multi-channel content > 2 channels. The Surround Decoders are meant to matrix 2-ch content to multi-channel, so that circuit turns off when the audio stream is already discrete multi-channels. I hope this makes better sense.

Not sure what "7.1 stereo" refers to. Yamaha has two Cinema DSP modes 7ch stereo and 2ch stereo, which down mixes multichannel content to stereo then distributes to speakers. 7ch Stereo is not a surround decoder, it will mix any audio stream to stereo and put that content in all the speakers accordingly. So you would have front channel content in your surround speakers, NOT the matrixed surround-only content as you would from Dolby Surround encoded films. Some say "this sounds better," because they're "hearing more from the surround speakers," that's not better or even correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrpph View Post
have yamaha TSR7790 with 5.1 Def Tech 8060 LCR/8040 surround with sony 940C TV- have Time Warner Cable w/Cisco 9865 6 tuner DVR-

I'm also having same issue with some ABC shows- Some ABC shows cause the sound to be really strange- like recessed & come not from center speaker or LR correctly but more thru surrounds- regardless of what DSP i use or using straight- or on surround & using DPLII- its just not correct & hard to hear- only way i can listen is if i use 7 channel stereo then it listenable as its coming thru all speakers the same.- any other mode its hard to hear the dialogue- its like its recessed & not coming thru correct speakers- i've sent emails to local station & TWC but got no responses. - its not all ABC shows but some of are like this & then a few episodes later of same show its back to normal sound again- very weird-
Use your TV and AVR info/display options to show you what the audio stream is. My Samsung, the "INFO" button for content tells me if the program is 480p, 1080i, Dolby Digital 2.0, Dolby Digital 5.1, etc. On the Yamaha, use the DISPLAY button, or go On Screen, Info, Audio to tell you what audio stream the AVR is getting.

Then we can figure out what's going wrong.

Also: are you using HDMI-ARC, or SPDIF, for audio back to the AVR? Or are you watching ABC from a cable box connected via … HDMI? SPDIF? RCA red & white analog?

Last edited by ChromeJob; 05-03-2017 at 09:36 AM.
post #1996 of 2135 Old 05-03-2017, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Chromejob- thx for info- i'm using prem certified cable -HDMI ARC from 779 to sony 940c- haven't had chance to look at other info on 779 or TV yet as haven't gotten an ABC show with sound issue yet. more later
post #1997 of 2135 Old 05-03-2017, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrpph View Post
Chromejob- thx for info- i'm using prem certified cable -HDMI ARC from 779 to sony 940c- haven't had chance to look at other info on 779 or TV yet as haven't gotten an ABC show with sound issue yet. more later
Check anyway, the ABC station may be broadcasting all material in a certain audio format.

Also, you can check you TV to see if it is sending PCM, Dolby Digital, or…? It would be in teh Settings, Audio, or Advanced or something.

post #1998 of 2135 Old 06-01-2017, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yamaha V377 seems to shut down 2 hours into use

I bought it as a refurb just under 2 years ago from accessories4less. Lately I've noticed that it's been shutting down randomly but the last two nights it's shut down right near the end, I'm guessing 2 hours into movie viewing. My system is:

3 Ascend Acoustic CME-340SE fronts
2 Sony Core bookshelves
HSU VTF2-MK4 subwoofer

There's nothing above the receiver blocking heat dissipation. The room is about 75F at night. I'm not playing anything super loud IMO. It happened during watching "The Night Of" and "Paterson", both are heavy dialogue movies.

Once it shuts down, I can just turn it back on and use it again with no issues (although it's just another 30-60 more min).

Any ideas on how I can diagnose this?

I also want to get a new AVR too lol but I just spent a bunch on upgrading my fronts from BIC FH6-LCRs.
post #1999 of 2135 Old 06-01-2017, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1702 Post(s)
Liked: 1033
Sounds like it's going into protection mode from being over driven but it doesn't sound like you are driving it too hard either. Kinda strange I think.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
ChromeJob likes this.
post #2000 of 2135 Old 06-01-2017, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Check the wires, in the back of the receiver and the speakers, it sounds like a string is loose.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

post #2001 of 2135 Old 06-01-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centauro74 View Post
Check the wires, in the back of the receiver and the speakers, it sounds like a string is loose.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
possibly as I have been swapping between the BICs and Ascends while auditioning them. I guess I should recut the wires to make them look a bit nicer now. Will report back in a few days!
post #2002 of 2135 Old 06-01-2017, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit View Post
possibly as I have been swapping between the BICs and Ascends while auditioning them. I guess I should recut the wires to make them look a bit nicer now. Will report back in a few days!
It probably isn't a short - unit would display a "Check SP Wires" fault. Could be thermal - dust buildup may have reduced heat sink efficiency, & if you didn't tweak the speaker impedance setting to accommodate the Sony Core surrounds (6 ohm), you may be running a bit hot.

Just realized - yr new ascend speakers are way less efficient (?5dB) than the BICs; will require a significant bump in power usage to drive 'em at the levels that you are used to.
tracerit and ChromeJob like this.

Last edited by scotthal; 06-01-2017 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Additional info
post #2003 of 2135 Old 06-05-2017, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello All

I have enjoyed reviewing the discussions on this forum and I have learned a lot. I now have a question for you all. Of course, I understand this is kind of like asking "How much is a car?", but here goes:

I have a RX-V577 connected to Boston Acoustics Cr-75 fronts, CR-55 rears, and a PV-800 sub (the 10-inch). This equipment all works great, but the speakers were purchased in 2002. I am looking for advice on how best to upgrade the speakers. I am looking to spend $XXX dollars, not $XXXX dollars. My primary criteria is sound accuracy, definition and placement - ie I like to listen to the music with my eyes closed and visualize where each instrument is located and ideally be able to pick them out of the ensemble. Especially when somebody is playing something particularly virtuoso in the background

All thoughts welcome!
post #2004 of 2135 Old 06-06-2017, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthal View Post
It probably isn't a short - unit would display a "Check SP Wires" fault. Could be thermal - dust buildup may have reduced heat sink efficiency, & if you didn't tweak the speaker impedance setting to accommodate the Sony Core surrounds (6 ohm), you may be running a bit hot.

Just realized - yr new ascend speakers are way less efficient (?5dB) than the BICs; will require a significant bump in power usage to drive 'em at the levels that you are used to.
I've been playing without the Sony cores connected as surround. No shutdowns yet. How would I solve it if it's because of the Sony cores? Do I get an amplifier? Or get a new receiver?
post #2005 of 2135 Old 06-06-2017, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit View Post
I've been playing without the Sony cores connected as surround. No shutdowns yet. How would I solve it if it's because of the Sony cores? Do I get an amplifier? Or get a new receiver?
I don't think the x377 has preamp outs - so you'd need a new receiver if you want to boost the power output. That said, there are a few possible workarounds for your existing setup.

1. YPAO futzes w/speaker configuration - it may have set some (or all) of your speakers to "large". Lower octaves suck more power - so set all of your speakers to "small", & set the crossover to 60Hz or 80Hz. Your Hsu sub should be able to fill in.
  2. Try setting the speaker impedance to 6 ohms
  3. Make sure "Eco" mode is off - it may affect shutdown parameters (speculative)
  4. Make sure the top & left side air vents are unobstructed
  5. Blow out any dust : cobweb accumulations on the heat sinks
  6. Add a fan - either topside exhaust, or blowing in on the left.

Receiver spec suggests that the center shares resources with the LR surrounds; which is probably why dialogue heavy movies pushed it into shutdown, & disconnecting the surrounds alleviated the problem.
tracerit and ChromeJob like this.

Last edited by scotthal; 06-06-2017 at 12:16 PM. Reason: prettyprint
post #2006 of 2135 Old 07-24-2017, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yamaha rx-v377 black screen every other time

I have one hdmi connected to my roku and the other to my htpc. The roku is always on when I choose it. But the htpc is a black screen at first. But then if I select the roku and come back to the htpc, its on. But if I do that again its a black screen. So every other time I select the htpc its a black screen. Any idea?
post #2007 of 2135 Old 07-27-2017, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Fixed this by setting color mode to YCbCR444 in the nvidia control panel
post #2008 of 2135 Old 07-29-2017, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I need a little advice and help. I just a bought a new Samsung UN65MU6300 4k tv and I need a little help setting it up. Here is a list of the equipment I will be connecting to it. Directv HR54-200 with the C61k-700 4k box, Sony BDP-S6200 blu-ray 4k, Toshiba HDDVD HD-A2, and the RX-V677 receiver. I know the 677 will not pass a 4k signal so I have to connect the 4k box and blu-ray directly to the tv and use a toslink cable to get my surround sound. here's the question, do I run a toslink to both the 4k box and blu-ray player and then to the 677, or would it be better to run 1 toslink cable from the digital output of the tv to the 677 ?
I use the 7.2 speaker setup using 2 front presence speakers. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated !

65" Samsung UN65MU6300, Sony UBP-X800
Directv HR5400-200, C61K-700 4K box, Toshiba HDDVD-A2
Denon AVR-S920W, Polk csiA4 center channel,Polk Monitor 40 series 2 front
2-Polk PSW10 subwoofer, Polk R150 front height,Polk M10 surrounds
Logitech Harmony 900 Remote

Last edited by BigOc90; 07-29-2017 at 07:03 PM.
post #2009 of 2135 Old 07-30-2017, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOc90 View Post
I need a little advice and help. I just a bought a new Samsung UN65MU6300 4k tv and I need a little help setting it up. Here is a list of the equipment I will be connecting to it. Directv HR54-200 with the C61k-700 4k box, Sony BDP-S6200 blu-ray 4k, Toshiba HDDVD HD-A2, and the RX-V677 receiver. I know the 677 will not pass a 4k signal so I have to connect the 4k box and blu-ray directly to the tv and use a toslink cable to get my surround sound. here's the question, do I run a toslink to both the 4k box and blu-ray player and then to the 677, or would it be better to run 1 toslink cable from the digital output of the tv to the 677 ?

I use the 7.2 speaker setup using 2 front presence speakers. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated !
If your 4K devices have multiple HDMI output, run one of those those to the AVR for the highest level audio content. TOSlink/SPDIF from your TV to the AVR will only carry DD 5.1 or PDM 2.0 (in some cases, may carry DD+ 5.1).

There's no reason to connect TOSlink to your devices.

Your 677 will passthrough 4K, but not at 60 Hz. 24, 25, and 30 Hz if it's like my 775. Check your manual, if you want simplicity and highest quality audio, you can pass through your AVR IF the devices can be configured to provide 4K at the older spec the 677 supports.
BigOc90 likes this.

post #2010 of 2135 Old 08-02-2017, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
If your 4K devices have multiple HDMI output, run one of those those to the AVR for the highest level audio content. TOSlink/SPDIF from your TV to the AVR will only carry DD 5.1 or PDM 2.0 (in some cases, may carry DD+ 5.1).

There's no reason to connect TOSlink to your devices.

Your 677 will passthrough 4K, but not at 60 Hz. 24, 25, and 30 Hz if it's like my 775. Check your manual, if you want simplicity and highest quality audio, you can pass through your AVR IF the devices can be configured to provide 4K at the older spec the 677 supports.
Thanks for the response ChromeJob.
I was told at the store where I bought my receiver and the TV, (Best Buy) and I have read on here that the 677 will not pass 4k ( at least with the equipment I have ) because it is not 2.2 HDMI compliant, it's 2.0. Also none of my 4k sources have the duel HDMi outputs ( Directv 4k box and Sony BDP-S6200 BR player ), but I did try it to see if it would work and tried every setting that was available and even tried newer cables just to see if that would work, but no matter what I tried, as long as I tried to pass it through the 677 it would say that my TV did not support a 4k signal.
I had to run a HDMi cable from the Directv 4k box directly into the back of the TV ( that does work and give me 4k ) but by doing that, the only way to get any type of surround sound was by running a optical cable from the 4k box to my 677 receiver. I did check to see if there were any firmware updates for my receiver but I already had the latest.
I don't own any 4k Blu-ray movies yet, but I guess when and if I buy any I will have to connect the Sony 6200 the same way to be able to get 4k from it also. I guess I will just have to use it this way until I can get a 2.2 compliant receiver in the future. Thanks for your help though ChromeJob, it is appreciated !

65" Samsung UN65MU6300, Sony UBP-X800
Directv HR5400-200, C61K-700 4K box, Toshiba HDDVD-A2
Denon AVR-S920W, Polk csiA4 center channel,Polk Monitor 40 series 2 front
2-Polk PSW10 subwoofer, Polk R150 front height,Polk M10 surrounds
Logitech Harmony 900 Remote

Last edited by BigOc90; 08-02-2017 at 09:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
(RX-V679) , arc , audio , receiver , RX-V*77 , Sharp 70 Inch Full Hd Aquos 3d Led Smart Tv , sound loss , speaker advice , yamaha 677 , yamaha rx v377

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page