Yamaha RX-V*77 Owners Thread (2014 models) - Page 70 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2909Likes

post #2071 of 2118 Old 06-01-2018, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1991 Post(s)
Liked: 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Winn View Post
Hi,

Did you ever find a solution to the receiver cutting out....?

Mine does the same thing.

I thought it was my Pandora (internet) but it does it on tuner and CD as well.

Randy
You might have more luck searching, or asking, in this thread that your post has been merged with.

"Sell crazy some place else -- we're all stocked up here."
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2118 Old 06-17-2018, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 62
AVR Thoughts and questions

I currently have a yahmaha rx-v 677 avr and am running a 3.1 system with psa 210t towers and a psa 210c center. I demoed the psa towers for two months and decided I liked them enough to keep them over my previous bookshelf speakers. I got a new media console after auditioning the speakers that would house the center. It is a little shorter in width than the old one but taller. The problem is that after the change the speakers sound bright or harsh on some particular songs. I listen to music with the two towers and the sub and I use straight with the flat peq like I did before. I realize that changing the console changes the speaker placement which can affect the sound. I have the fronts of the towers and center pulled out in front of the console and the speakers aimed at the same spot on the couch as before. I honestly believe that adding the center may be partially responsible for the change in sound. It is unfortunately positioned lower than ear hight and lower than the towers but it is aimed up. My reciever has single point rsc ypao room correction. My question for the board is if the center could be skewing the eq on the towers. I wouldn’t think ypao would work like that but I dont know. I currently have the eq to through and the harshness is gone so that tells me the problem is ypao and not the speakers which reviews claim are fairly neutral. So, would multipoint ypao solve this as it would have more measurements besides the one directly in front of the center? Are Yahmaha avrs generally a little bright? I did the ypao measurement with the mic on a stand at 36” tall and about 13” away from the back of the leather couch. Is there something I may be missing when performing the ypao measurement? Also, I almost never notice this in movies just music. I tried using pure direct for music but it takes the sub out. Does another avr’s direct mode take out the eq but leave the sub on? Do I need to try a different brand avr with better room correction? I think audessy,arc,and dirac only eq to a certain frequency and even that is adjustable. Is this the case with higher level ypao?

Last edited by coxjamb; 06-17-2018 at 08:21 PM.
post #2073 of 2118 Old 07-13-2018, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have an RX-V473. Anyone had luck outputting sound from an Android Smartphone use the USB port? The port on the AV receiver is labeled Ipod and other Apple products.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2074 of 2118 Old 07-13-2018, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavycolumns View Post
I have an RX-V473. Anyone had luck outputting sound from an Android Smartphone use the USB port? The port on the AV receiver is labeled Ipod and other Apple products.
You're in the wrong thread. I'm not sure if there's a "Yamaha RX-v*73 owners thread," have you looked?

Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #2075 of 2118 Old 08-04-2018, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm using rx-v477 .I want to stream mp3 audio content of my android phone via Wi-Fi directly to my receiver without separate router /LAN .How can I achieve this?Plz. help
post #2076 of 2118 Old 08-06-2018, 04:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
yamaha RX-V667 PROLOGIC 'll problem

Hi I've just purchased a yamaha rx-v677 and I'm having a few problems. I will start with my setup. I have a 5.1 surround with active sub connected to my tv with optical. when my tv is playing from freeview the amp changes from Dolby digital to pro logic 'll the same happens when I play a movie from the built in plex player if it's a Dolby 5.1 source of a acc source but if the source is dts the display shows dts. I can't figure out why it changes on Dolby but not on dts. all I put would be greatly revived thanks.
post #2077 of 2118 Old 08-07-2018, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by judson1988 View Post
I'm using rx-v477 .I want to stream mp3 audio content of my android phone via Wi-Fi directly to my receiver without separate router /LAN .How can I achieve this?Plz. help
An affordable way would be to add a Chromecast to your hi-fi and "cast" your music to the Chromecast (using suitable software).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpchop5 View Post
Hi I've just purchased a yamaha rx-v677 and I'm having a few problems. I will start with my setup. I have a 5.1 surround with active sub connected to my tv with optical. when my tv is playing from freeview the amp changes from Dolby digital to pro logic 'll the same happens when I play a movie from the built in plex player if it's a Dolby 5.1 source of a acc source but if the source is dts the display shows dts. I can't figure out why it changes on Dolby but not on dts. all I put would be greatly revived thanks.
The front panel display may show a change in the decoder if the content audio format changes. E.g. Dolby PL II will kick in for 2.0 content, using its active matrix software to create surround sound. But if the content is 5.1, PL II will disengage.

Check your manual for how to change the front panel display, or on screen display, to show the audio format being played.

BTW Please don't post the same question multiple times to "bump" the thread up.

post #2078 of 2118 Old 09-15-2018, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yamaha Rx-V377 Setup Issues

Hey, I'm having trouble connecting my Yamaha Rx-V377 to my Samsung KS8000 UHD Tv.

I've connected everything up but no sound comes out the external speakers, the tv detects the receiver I'm also able to turn it on/off using the tv remote, really unsure what's wrong. I have an HDMI cable put into the receivers output slot which then leads to the tvs ARC input slot, I also have an optical cable which goes from the receiver to the tv and I also have the PS4 put into the HDMI 2 slot.

I've gone through every channel on the receiver and I've also changed the Tvs sound output to use external speakers, which nothing also happens.

I've also set it up to my non 4k tv, and it runs perfectly

What am I doing wrong?
post #2079 of 2118 Old 09-16-2018, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2051 Post(s)
Liked: 1376
Make sure you're using the TV audio input on your AVR and it is either configured for ARC or optical. Same for your TV. I don't think you can have ARC and optical out configured at the same time. I think you must select one or the other. I've never owned a Samsung TV so I don't know the audio out options, but you can figure it out.

Afro GT
post #2080 of 2118 Old 09-17-2018, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks, do you know if it's possible to turn on ARC, on the receiver without using the remote?

I don't have the Yamaha remote, nor does my Tv remote work with it, it can only turn it on or off.

I also downloaded the Yamaha AV control app on my phone, though the receivers Bluetooth isn't set to 'on' so my phone will not connect to it, I've also plugged my usb from my phone to the receiver but the receiver gives me an error.
post #2081 of 2118 Old 09-18-2018, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2051 Post(s)
Liked: 1376
Get a remote. They're $20 on ebay. Tough to operate an avr without one.

Afro GT
post #2082 of 2118 Old 09-18-2018, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISSAN200SXFTWW View Post
Thanks, do you know if it's possible to turn on ARC, on the receiver without using the remote?

I don't have the Yamaha remote, nor does my Tv remote work with it, it can only turn it on or off.

I also downloaded the Yamaha AV control app on my phone, though the receivers Bluetooth isn't set to 'on' so my phone will not connect to it, I've also plugged my usb from my phone to the receiver but the receiver gives me an error.
Explore the AV Controller app, there should be a mode (Option; Remote) that simulates the remote giving you access to setup buttons like On Screen, Option, Pop-up/Menu, Display (depending upon the AVR model).

BTW, the AV Controller app works over wi-fi, not Bluetooth. I would definitely shop for a remote, though. And if you don't have it, download the owner's manual from Yamaha.

post #2083 of 2118 Old 12-04-2018, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just signed back up for Sirius XM but it doesn’t seem to be working on this receiver? All it says is not connected. Only button that works is screen off.
post #2084 of 2118 Old 12-04-2018, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John21 View Post
I just signed back up for Sirius XM but it doesn’t seem to be working on this receiver? All it says is not connected. Only button that works is screen off.
If you're using network standby, turn that off, and power down the AVR. Heck,... unplug it. Then plug it back in, power up, try again.

post #2085 of 2118 Old 12-05-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
If you're using network standby, turn that off, and power down the AVR. Heck,... unplug it. Then plug it back in, power up, try again.
Thanks for the suggestion, that didn't work for me.
post #2086 of 2118 Old 12-05-2018, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm considering upgrading my TV to 4k. Does the 477 model pass full 4k for DV, HDR and HDR10?
post #2087 of 2118 Old 12-07-2018, 01:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yamaha RX-V*77 Owners Thread (2014 models)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John21 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, that didn't work for me.
If this model still uses an external antenna, you may have to disconnect it, power up, power down, then reconnect, and see if it prompts you for account information again. If THAT doesn't work, I'd resort to a factory reset.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dturturro View Post
I'm considering upgrading my TV to 4k. Does the 477 model pass full 4k for DV, HDR and HDR10?
Check the product page for your model. My recollection is that DV and HDR were introduced to the high end of the x81 models — 2015 models — via firmware updates.
Further information on getting a Dolby Vision HDR AVR.
Check your manual for the 4K UHD formats that ARE supported by your model. I know my 775 only supports 4K at 24, 25 fps, for example -- not "full UHD" at 60 fps.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 12-07-2018 at 11:44 AM.
post #2088 of 2118 Old 12-07-2018, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dturturro View Post
Not sure. I know it only has hdcp 2.0 inputs and no hdcp 2.2.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #2089 of 2118 Old 12-08-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
If this model still uses an external antenna, you may have to disconnect it, power up, power down, then reconnect, and see if it prompts you for account information again. If THAT doesn't work, I'd resort to a factory reset.

Check the product page for your model. My recollection is that DV and HDR were introduced to the high end of the x81 models — 2015 models — via firmware updates.
Further information on getting a Dolby Vision HDR AVR.
Check your manual for the 4K UHD formats that ARE supported by your model. I know my 775 only supports 4K at 24, 25 fps, for example -- not "full UHD" at 60 fps.
Factory reset worked, thanks for the help.
post #2090 of 2118 Old 12-10-2018, 02:58 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Yamaha RX/DSP-Z9 Remote/Control connections

I want to hook up my Z9 as a power amp for a RX-V777. With 8 pre-outs on the V777 and 8 Multi Ch Inputs on the Z9, this is mostly a breeze. But...

Obviously I'd like the Z9 to power on when the V777 is turned on. If I connect Control OUT of the V777 to the Control IN of the Z9, then any IR signals should be passed on from the former to the latter, but the Z9 may not respond to the V777's Power ON signal (not tried that yet). In any case, what if I simply turn on the V777 manually, by pressing the Power on button on the front? Presumably that won't send anything to the Z9.

The V777 has a Trigger OUT, but there doesn't seem to be any equivalent Trigger IN on the Z9.

Can anyone suggest how to connect the 2 so that the Z9 will switch On and OFF in sync with the V777?
post #2091 of 2118 Old 12-20-2018, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Hi Guys,

I'm quite sure this has already been discussed on this thread, but I can't find it. Please feel free to point me to a page number if this is a repeated issue.

I have a Yamaha RX-V577 and a PS4 Pro with a Philips 4k TV (just bought).
The PS4 insists that the TV isn't 4k compatible, and it must be down to the Yamaha (or my setting up of it).
The Yamaha is rocking the latest firmware, and I'm pretty sure my HDMI cables are 4k compliant (seem to remember sorting this when I bought them).

Any advice on settings/things to look at?

Thanks a lot.

Andy
post #2092 of 2118 Old 12-20-2018, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yamaha RX-V*77 Owners Thread (2014 models)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onceuponatyne View Post
… I have a Yamaha RX-V577 and a PS4 Pro with a Philips 4k TV (just bought).

The PS4 insists that the TV isn't 4k compatible, and it must be down to the Yamaha (or my setting up of it).

The Yamaha is rocking the latest firmware, and I'm pretty sure my HDMI cables are 4k compliant (seem to remember sorting this when I bought them).

I believe that support for 4K @ 60p was introduced with the *79 models, so yours may not support all modes of 4K. Look at the video conversion and supported modes table in your manual.

Oh, wait I’m thinking of Dolby Vision … if your model DID support 60p, check the HDMI MODE setting under Advanced Setup. Earlier models defaulted to mode 2 and the owner had to change to mode 1.
onceuponatyne likes this.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 12-20-2018 at 10:50 PM. Reason: cleaning up spacing is all
post #2093 of 2118 Old 12-20-2018, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
I believe that support for 4K @ 60p was introduced with the *79 models, so yours may not support all modes of 4K. Look at the video conversion and supported modes table in your manual.

Oh, wait I’m thinking of Dolby Vision … if your model DID support 60p, check the HDMI MODE setting under Advanced Setup. Earlier models defaulted to mode 2 and the owner had to change to mode 1.
Thanks Chromejob (I think you've helped me out previously, handy chap!).

I think, from this article that this model was always able to do pass-through 4k at certain framerates, but that recent firmware further expanded it to work with more.

In essence though, is it 4k pass-through only? i.e. decide between 4k images or quality sound with the Yamaha?
Showing my ignorance, but it's genuinely proving a challenge to work out online!
post #2094 of 2118 Old 12-20-2018, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Chromejob (I think you've helped me out previously, handy chap!).

I think, from this article that this model was always able to do pass-through 4k at certain framerates, but that recent firmware further expanded it to work with more.

In essence though, is it 4k pass-through only? i.e. decide between 4k images or quality sound with the Yamaha?
Showing my ignorance, but it's genuinely proving a challenge to work out online!
Well, p. 113 of the OM is the only authoritative info I can go on.

The last firmware update was a year ago, only lists Spotify API updates:

https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updat..._tsr-5770.html

Unfortunately, they don't list prior firmware updates and what they contain. You'd have to contact Yamaha and ask. You could set your device to 4K @ 30p and see if that passes through correctly (it should). And, OOPs, I'm sorry the 577 does NOT have the HDMI Mode switch in Advanced Setup, that's either higher models or the *79 models. (I dabble in several of these, so can't remember which model has what. Maybe if I sold them....)

The manual and online specs don't specify the version of HDMI and HDCP on this receiver ... leading me to believe it's NOT HDCP 2.2 compatible, but 1.4. I'm more convinced you should contact Yamaha.

Some devices have dual HDMI output for this situation. Otherwise, you could get a HDCP-compatible HDMI splitter off Amazon or Monoprice. You could also go into the PS4 PRO and set the 4K down to 30 fps, if you can. That SHOULD pass through okay.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 12-20-2018 at 02:27 PM.
post #2095 of 2118 Old 12-20-2018, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Hi Guys,

I'm quite sure this has already been discussed on this thread, but I can't find it. Please feel free to point me to a page number if this is a repeated issue.

I have a Yamaha RX-V577 and a PS4 Pro with a Philips 4k TV (just bought).

Thanks a lot.

Andy
I'm pretty sure the 577 is only hdcp 2.0, not 2.2. Ps4 is most likely sending 2.2 but the 577 cant pass that so I'd down converts it to 2.0.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
ChromeJob likes this.
post #2096 of 2118 Old 12-28-2018, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question please some advice on this setup, for best image and sound

Hey hey,

I'm looking for the setup which gives me the best possible results with these components.

- amp: Yamaha RX-V477 (HTR-4067) [supposedly does not support HDCP 2.2/Hdmi 2.0]
- tv: Samsung 55Q9F [no DTS passthrough by ARC]
- streaming/media player: Nvidia Shield 16Gb (2018)
- console: Playstation 4 pro (2018 version)

I seem to have everything up and running (image and sound), but I don't think it's optimal.
Image quality of usb-streaming to Nvidia Shield is not on par with direct 4K Youtube streaming.
The rest seems okay up to now.

Wanted to use the V477 as hub, but that results in no 4k HDR from the Playstation (needs HDCP 2.2).
So PS4 Pro is directly on Samsung TV.

Nvidia Shield is on Yamaha and does both stream audio as well as video. Source material is ripped 4k content.
Video does show a teensy weensy jitter (can't call it a stutter) every 5 sec. Just a frameskip, so it seems.
But the image seems to be gritty, not as sharp and vibrant as streaming of 4k Youtube content.

Besides this I have a Mediabox which does all the TV-decoding and OnDemand material. (yet no 4k)
And finally an (obsolete) Bluray player BDP-S490 (no cinavia-hack unfortunately, couldn't find the source for that :-( )

I hope someone can give me some advise on how to make the best of this, for now and maybe the future (maybe another receiver again?).
Thanks in advance, and to everyone a happy new year!!
post #2097 of 2118 Old 01-01-2019, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yamaha RX-V777BT Audio Stream Detection

Unable to find in forum, please point me there if already answered.

I have a Yamaha RX-V777BT on v1.50 firmware with multiple inputs that drop audio when detecting the audio stream changes caused by pausing, rewinding, or fast forwarding content. One issue is with my Roku Ultra (2018 model) watching Netflix. If I pause the show it will switch the audio stream off (Decoder Off) and then when I resume it switches back to DD+, but sometimes there's a high pitched chirp before audio resumes and other times it just waits several seconds before I can hear what's going on. I've been hitting the pause/play button on the Roku remote and then hitting the back circle button go to back 10 seconds, which usually gets the audio going again before it passes the point where I paused. This also happens with my Sony BDP-S6500 Blu-Ray player and Amazon Fire Stick 4K when streaming content. The Sony also does this when watching media from a USB hard drive locally connected as well as when watching Blu-Rays. However, even though the audio changes from something like DTS HD-Master to Decoder Off when pausing Blu-Rays there doesn't seem to be a delay in the return of the audio when I resume (or it's so small it is not noticeable or bothersome). The Roku and Sony are direct connected to the Yamaha via HDMI and the Fire Stick is on a HDMI switch. Both the Sony and Roku are on wired Ethernet connections to the router and Internet is Spectrum 200 Mbps. There's a single HDMI cable out to the TV, which is a Samsung LN46A650 from early 2009. The little chirp and or audio return delay are driving me nuts.

1. Any idea what is causing this?
2. Any way to set something to prevent the auto detection from dropping the audio stream or encourage it to resume more efficiently?
3. Is this a Yamaha feature or do all receivers do it?
*My guess is the streaming media has to provide enough audio stream for the receiver to detect the stream type before switching to it, but it would be nice if I could set something to improve the process.

Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by MuhChicken; 02-15-2019 at 05:37 PM.
post #2098 of 2118 Old 01-24-2019, 09:16 AM

Internal error on yamaha rx-v677

hello all,

I have Yamaha RX-V677 showing "Internal Error" on the screen. I have try to reset it, but the unit doesn't even go to stand-by mode. Whenever I press Main Zone, the screen certainly goes blank, but almost immediately shows again Internal Error. So it won't let me reset it.

I believe the receiver is in this "safe mode" due to a power surge and it went into this mode to protect itself, but now I can't make it reboot again.

Can please anybody help me step by step to fix this? Probably after reboot it (if I manage to do it), it will require to update model or something.

Please help, thanks
post #2099 of 2118 Old 01-24-2019, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernancalvo View Post
hello all,

I have Yamaha RX-V677 showing "Internal Error" on the screen. I have try to reset it, but the unit doesn't even go to stand-by mode. Whenever I press Main Zone, the screen certainly goes blank, but almost immediately shows again Internal Error. So it won't let me reset it.

I believe the receiver is in this "safe mode" due to a power surge and it went into this mode to protect itself, but now I can't make it reboot again.

Can please anybody help me step by step to fix this? Probably after reboot it (if I manage to do it), it will require to update model or something.
It may need to go into repair. Since you mention there might've been a power surge of some kind, I'm going to bet that there was an event associated with this.

Probably you need to do a factory reset before determining you have to ship it off. I would unplug it, unplug EVERYthing, then plug it in and power it up into Advanced Setup as per the manual, and "restore to default settings." If you still get the "internal error" after that, it's something for a repair facility to investigate.

post #2100 of 2118 Old 02-10-2019, 08:16 AM

Hi. I have a Yamaha RX-V667 receiver. I also have a Vizio P55-F1 TV and an Xbox One X. I've managed to get the receiver to pass-through 4k 60 but not HDR. I understand this is because the AVR lacks HDCP 2.2 (or so I thought). To address this limitation I got a splitter that supposedly strips or downgrades the HDCP from 2.2. to 1.4. But even with this splitter in-between the Xbox and the 677 I'm still not able to get HDR. Is this some hardware limitation with the 677, I always thought that if the receiver could handle 4k 60 that it would have the bandwidth (i.e. HDMI 2.x ) to also pass-through HDR. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
(RX-V679) , arc , audio , receiver , RX-V*77 , Sharp 70 Inch Full Hd Aquos 3d Led Smart Tv , sound loss , speaker advice , yamaha 677 , yamaha rx v377

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page