Official Sony STR-DN850/1050 Thread - Page 41 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 165Likes

post #1201 of 1372 Old 01-07-2016, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I will test the new configuration with some Blue Ray DVDs and see what I get. I am most interested in getting better surround and rear sound effects from the BR movies - less concerned with getting the fancy lossless codecs. My ears are not that good!

My impression was the Onkyo I had did a better job with the surround modes - but it was infuriating in that the HDMI pass-through would fail consistently - and I had to disconnect the Onkyo and plug it back in to get the HDMI software to load. Most of the time we listen to the TV (via the Cox DVR) without the Receiver turned on - the signal is passed through to the TV. This is apparently a frequent problem with the Onkyo receivers. The Sony has worked just fine - no failures at all.

Thanks again.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 1372 Old 01-07-2016, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4802
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterDR View Post
I will test the new configuration with some Blue Ray DVDs and see what I get. I am most interested in getting better surround and rear sound effects from the BR movies - less concerned with getting the fancy lossless codecs. My ears are not that good!

My impression was the Onkyo I had did a better job with the surround modes - but it was infuriating in that the HDMI pass-through would fail consistently - and I had to disconnect the Onkyo and plug it back in to get the HDMI software to load. Most of the time we listen to the TV (via the Cox DVR) without the Receiver turned on - the signal is passed through to the TV. This is apparently a frequent problem with the Onkyo receivers. The Sony has worked just fine - no failures at all.

Thanks again.

David
HDMI handshakes can be a pain. My Pioneer avr was the worst in that sense but not too bad. No issues with my Denon or Onkyo avrs with PS3/DirecTV/Samsung tv but I do not use any HDMI-CEC and always run audio thru my avr/speakers, can't imagine using the tv's speakers alone unless the avr broke down or something . My Onkyo has more choices than my Denon for the sound modes but the Denon's XT32 trumps that IMO.

The lossless codecs on blurays are the only way you're going to get discrete 7ch audio at this time....but using PLIIx or Neo:6 (which is on the Onkyo, have Neo:X on my Denon) has worked well for me on 2ch and 5 ch sources....when I finally get around to setting up 9 and 11 ch will figure that out.

Have fun!
post #1203 of 1372 Old 01-08-2016, 12:15 PM

Along the the "standard" surround options (PLII Movie, PLIIx Movie, Neo:6 Cinema), Sony offers HD-D.C.S (HD Digital Cinema Sound). Does anyone know more about what this is? You can select Dynamic, Theater or Studio (in descending amounts of reverberation), but there is nothing in the User Guide about whether this is a 2.1, 5.1 or 7.1 surround. Only the Studio option sounds reasonable - the other modes have way too much reverberation, in my opinion.

Does anyone know what this surround mode actually does - is it using all the surround and sub speakers? I generally shy away from these proprietary sound fields but the HD-DCS/Studio mode is described as "dialogues and surround effects are reproduced vividly" - which my be useful when watching TV shows (or HBO movies) via my Cox DVR.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1204 of 1372 Old 01-08-2016, 12:16 PM

Along the the "standard" surround options (PLII Movie, PLIIx Movie, Neo:6 Cinema), Sony offers HD-D.C.S (HD Digital Cinema Sound). Does anyone know more about what this is? You can select Dynamic, Theater or Studio (in descending amounts of reverberation), but there is nothing in the User Guide about whether this is a 2.1, 5.1 or 7.1 surround. Only the Studio option sounds reasonable - the other modes have way too much reverberation, in my opinion.

Does anyone know what this surround mode actually does - is it using all the surround and sub speakers? I generally shy away from these proprietary sound fields but the HD-DCS/Studio mode is described as "dialogues and surround effects are reproduced vividly" - which my be useful when watching TV shows (or HBO movies) via my Cox DVR.

David
post #1205 of 1372 Old 01-08-2016, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

David
I'm not too sure on Dynamic, but theater and studio are settings that intend to reproduce the sound qualities of the official Sony theater and mixing studio, respectively. I typically forego all those and set it to the unaltered source sound, myself, but I agree that the studio setting sounds pretty nice, and does give the feel of a compressed, soundproof room. I get the the novelty of theater sounding like you are at the movies, but I don't quite like it for living room viewing.

And my own question, does anyone happen to know if the receiver handles the two subwoofer channels independently (for example, when calibrating via microphone)? I have purchased a second sub for placing under my seating, and I know I will have to do a lot of futzing with settings on this speaker if it listens to both at the same time.
post #1206 of 1372 Old 01-08-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kungfuslim View Post
I'm not too sure on Dynamic, but theater and studio are settings that intend to reproduce the sound qualities of the official Sony theater and mixing studio, respectively. I typically forego all those and set it to the unaltered source sound, myself, but I agree that the studio setting sounds pretty nice, and does give the feel of a compressed, soundproof room. I get the the novelty of theater sounding like you are at the movies, but I don't quite like it for living room viewing.

And my own question, does anyone happen to know if the receiver handles the two subwoofer channels independently (for example, when calibrating via microphone)? I have purchased a second sub for placing under my seating, and I know I will have to do a lot of futzing with settings on this speaker if it listens to both at the same time.
I tried the HD-DCS studio mode on some TV from the Cox DVR - and it basically sent all the sound to the center channel. Only when the program went to commercial did I hear anything at all from the front speakers. PLII/PLIIx modes work a lot better. I don't think I will be using the HD-DCS surround mode.

I'm not sure what the calibration could do with two subs - since this sound is basically non-directional, I wonder if it could even distinguish between them. You are probably going to have to calibrate by ear.

(I tested the system with Star Trek Into Darkness Blue Ray - which has very good surround throughout the movie. I had the Blue Ray player set to bitstream and the receiver did go to the Dolby True HD mode - and I got a good surround effect.)

David
post #1207 of 1372 Old 01-09-2016, 09:27 AM

As I mentioned in my initial post on this issue, my AV source devices are: (1) Cox DVR; (2) AppleTV (V4 - latest), and (3) Sony Blu Ray player. I have the Blu Ray player configured to send bitstream (not PCM) to the receiver, and that is working so that the receiver does the decoding, which is what I want. There is nothing to change on the Cox DVR - it only outputs LPCM via HDMI. However, the AppleTV 4 does seem to have an option to switch audio between "Auto" and "Dolby Surround". The problem is (in typical Apple fashion) this option is not documented by Apple. In addition, I have found very large threads on the AppleTV support boards discussing what these options really do. In sum, no-one seems to know for sure what they do. As tvOS has been updated, the behavior has apparently changed - but again, no-one is sure. (And AppleTV 4 behaves differently than AppleTV3!) It seems as though "Auto" generates LPCM (encoded with the correct number of source tracks), but that the AVR doesn't always use the channels as intended. Selecting "Dolby Surround" seems to produce Dolby Surround - sometimes with 2 channels, sometimes with more. The other source of confusion here is that the AppleTV source material encoding also varies - iTunes Movies, Netflix videos, HBO, etc. all have different surround encoding - and in fact, items within Netflix vary too. It is really hard to figure out what is being delivered to the receiver. The front panel on the Sony STR-DN850 does provide some information about what is being sent to the receiver and that helps - but it scrolls off quickly. (And, some posters on the Apple Support Forum claim that their AVR doesn't report the correct surround/channel mode for these feeds.)

So, I have some additional questions:
(1) Other than the (scrolling) front panel display, is there any way to see, in detail, the signal being received by the AVR?
(2) Does anyone have experience with Netflix as a AV source? Are there AVR settings that are optimal for this source?

This is all so crazy - and the complexity is mind-numbing.

David
post #1208 of 1372 Old 01-09-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
As I mentioned in my initial post on this issue, my AV source devices are: (1) Cox DVR; (2) AppleTV (V4 - latest), and (3) Sony Blu Ray player. I have the Blu Ray player configured to send bitstream (not PCM) to the receiver, and that is working so that the receiver does the decoding, which is what I want. There is nothing to change on the Cox DVR - it only outputs LPCM via HDMI. However, the AppleTV 4 does seem to have an option to switch audio between "Auto" and "Dolby Surround". The problem is (in typical Apple fashion) this option is not documented by Apple. In addition, I have found very large threads on the AppleTV support boards discussing what these options really do. In sum, no-one seems to know for sure what they do. As tvOS has been updated, the behavior has apparently changed - but again, no-one is sure. (And AppleTV 4 behaves differently than AppleTV3!) It seems as though "Auto" generates LPCM (encoded with the correct number of source tracks), but that the AVR doesn't always use the channels as intended. Selecting "Dolby Surround" seems to produce Dolby Surround - sometimes with 2 channels, sometimes with more. The other source of confusion here is that the AppleTV source material encoding also varies - iTunes Movies, Netflix videos, HBO, etc. all have different surround encoding - and in fact, items within Netflix vary too. It is really hard to figure out what is being delivered to the receiver. The front panel on the Sony STR-DN850 does provide some information about what is being sent to the receiver and that helps - but it scrolls off quickly. (And, some posters on the Apple Support Forum claim that their AVR doesn't report the correct surround/channel mode for these feeds.)

So, I have some additional questions:
(1) Other than the (scrolling) front panel display, is there any way to see, in detail, the signal being received by the AVR?
(2) Does anyone have experience with Netflix as a AV source? Are there AVR settings that are optimal for this source?

This is all so crazy - and the complexity is mind-numbing.

David
Aren't avrs fun?

Check page 194 of the help guide as to what displays for information (on your avr, doesn't indicate there's an on tv option). It apparently displays the sound field applied. I have an old Sony that's similar, my Denon and Onkyo avrs can display more information about signal (both audio and video) and do it on the connected tv.

None of the Sony avrs I'm aware of have actual dual subs for measurement, just an internal splitter for the sub channel (in the case of my Denon with Audyssey XT32/SubEQ it does have two different sub channels, and will measure for delay and level separately but eq's them together). I believe Pioneer's Pro MCACC offers separate sub measurement as well, no Onkyos do with their AccuEQ.

Not sure what you mean by how to make optimal settings for the Netflix apps.
post #1209 of 1372 Old 01-09-2016, 12:09 PM

Thanks for the reference to the Help Guide. It was actually on page 183 in my version of the PDF. I can recall the display information using the display button - that helps me see what is actually happening.

Re Netflix: I was just curious about any special receiver settings for Netflix shows - but I realize that makes little sense. More depends on the device you are using to access Netflix (Roku, AppleTV, etc.). I'm still trying to figure out how AppleTV handles surround sound.

David
post #1210 of 1372 Old 01-09-2016, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Gents,

HDMI handshakes are a real pain - more so in my Denon system in basement than my 1050. The handshakes are all about preventing copying of HD content and it doesn't work very well for the consumer.

My wife likes Netflicks but doesn't want surround sound with it. The best you can get is a 5.1 surround sound stream, depending on the source stream. "You can watch titles in 5.1 surround sound if you have a receiver that supports Dolby Digital Plus and a connection speed of 3.0 megabits per second or faster"

A real deficiency on most HT Receivers at these price levels is the lack of a readable, especially from a distance - like across the room, display with relevant information. Earlier on I posted it would be great if Sony would update their firmware to allow for a page showing all of this on the TV screen. That way you can see everything at a glance when you want to.

But then again, maybe I'm dreaming...

Regards,

Jim

Last edited by -Jim-; 01-09-2016 at 12:46 PM.
post #1211 of 1372 Old 01-09-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reference to the Help Guide. It was actually on page 183 in my version of the PDF. I can recall the display information using the display button - that helps me see what is actually happening.

Re Netflix: I was just curious about any special receiver settings for Netflix shows - but I realize that makes little sense. More depends on the device you are using to access Netflix (Roku, AppleTV, etc.). I'm still trying to figure out how AppleTV handles surround sound.

David
There are two versions? I used this one https://docs.sony.com/release/STR-DN...lpGuide_EN.pdf I remember how frustrating it was in the beginning not knowing Sony called the manual a "help guide". Plus, it's only so helpful, sometimes just plain frustrating

Yes, the app differs from device to device not only with audio, but picture quality as well.....on my Samsung "Smart" tv using its apps disables the setup menu to adjust the picture....I only get the choice among the preset picture modes like movie or torch mode, that's it, and the picture tends to be on the darker side....so I find it more useful to use the app on my PS3 to enable me to change settings...plus the Netflix app doesn't run as well on the "Smart" tv.

No apple devices but a old iPod so no idea what their streaming box does....
post #1212 of 1372 Old 01-09-2016, 02:27 PM

Yep, there are different versions of the User Guide! I downloaded the one you reference and compared it to mine - and there are differences - at least organizational differences. I got mine at
http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-...=3#/manualsTab

That is very strange, but I am not surprised, as Sony documentation is generally poor and disorganized.

David
post #1213 of 1372 Old 01-18-2016, 11:04 AM

Another question about sound options and the STR-DN850....

When I select my Cox Contour DVR as a Video/Audio source, the DVR lets me select Digital Audio settings. I can select Pulse Code Modulated or Dolby Digital (AC3). I believe this means that for PCM, the decoding is done in the DVR - but for Dolby Digital, the bitstream is sent directly to the receiver which decodes and does the D/A conversions.

When watching a normal TV program, and the DVR is set to PCM, the STR-DN850 shows that it is receiving LPCM 2.0 (48KHz). I assume this means the signal is just a normal stereo signal with no low-frequency effects channel. However, all the sound comes from the center channel - indicating, I think, that this is essentially a mono signal.

When the DVR is set to Dolby Digital, the STR-DN850 shows that it is receiving 3.2. Sound comes primarily from the center speakers but I can hear (faint) sound from the front left/right speakers too. What in the world is 3.2? My guess is this is just Sony's way of saying the signal is three front channels (left, center, right) and two rear/surround channels, with I assume a low frequency effect channel. I think this is just 5.1 (3+2=5). Is this correct?

When I use HDMI passthrough and the receiver is not turned on, the PCM DVR setting works best with my TV - which is not going to support multi-channel sound anyway. The Dolby setting seems to be what I should use when using the Sony receiver with the DVR as source. However, the volume of this signal is much lower than for PCM - I have to increase the volume substantially to get normal volume. Is there any fundamental reason why the Dolby signal has such a low volume? I expected volume to be essentially identical for PCM and Dolby.

I am trying to understand what is going on here and any help would be appreciated.

David
post #1214 of 1372 Old 01-18-2016, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
bad receiver

Hi everybody

Have anyone had this issue with the str-dn1050?
I reset the receiver and nothing. Used a different HDMI and nothing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160118_180328.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	1193562   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160118_180312.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1193570   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160118_180353.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	1193578  
post #1215 of 1372 Old 01-18-2016, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Santos View Post
Hi everybody

Have you tried a different cable?
post #1216 of 1372 Old 01-18-2016, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Or a different port (input) of the TV??
post #1217 of 1372 Old 01-18-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Santos View Post
Hi everybody

What is the issue? What are the pictures supposed to convey about the problem you're having?
post #1218 of 1372 Old 01-20-2016, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I bought an 850 about 7 months ago at Best Buy. In the last month or so, it has started buzzing loudly through the woofer. I checked the Sony website and here, and got a lot of tips about cleaning connections, rerouting cables, etc. However, the buzz is not constant, but intermittent - sometimes less than once a day and sometimes 2-3 times in one day. Sometimes it stops by itself. Otherwise, I just unplug to woofer. When I plug it back in later, the buzz is gone.

Any help?
post #1219 of 1372 Old 01-20-2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaffney2008 View Post
I bought an 850 about 7 months ago at Best Buy. In the last month or so, it has started buzzing loudly through the woofer. I checked the Sony website and here, and got a lot of tips about cleaning connections, rerouting cables, etc. However, the buzz is not constant, but intermittent - sometimes less than once a day and sometimes 2-3 times in one day. Sometimes it stops by itself. Otherwise, I just unplug to woofer. When I plug it back in later, the buzz is gone.

Any help?
Something else on the same electrical circuit? Refrigerator or hvac or light dimmer or something along those lines?
post #1220 of 1372 Old 01-21-2016, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hey guys,
I've followed this ENTIRE thread.
My problem is that I dont get sound through ARC when watching OTA tv. I have to connect an optical. Is this normal?
Everything is connected otherwise via hdmi:
Roku 3
DVD player
Ps3
Sony 1050
Wii Ps2

Shouldnt audio from OTA broadcasts output audio through the ARC to receiver??

TIA
post #1221 of 1372 Old 01-21-2016, 08:22 AM

Hey guys,
My problem is that I dont get sound through ARC when watching OTA tv. I have to connect an optical. Is this normal?
Roku 3
DVD player
Ps3
Sony 1050
Wii Ps2

TIA
post #1222 of 1372 Old 01-21-2016, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Something else on the same electrical circuit? Refrigerator or hvac or light dimmer or something along those lines?
That circuit is most of one end of my house. To isolate the outlet that the receiver is plugged into would be a major undertaking. I will be calling Sony warranty service this morning to see what they say.
post #1223 of 1372 Old 01-21-2016, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaffney2008 View Post
That circuit is most of one end of my house. To isolate the outlet that the receiver is plugged into would be a major undertaking. I will be calling Sony warranty service this morning to see what they say.

Is the av receiver plugged into a surge protector? Maybe you should try a surge protector with the power conditioner and the battery backup. These regulate the voltage and conditions the power, so it may fix the problem.
post #1224 of 1372 Old 01-21-2016, 09:05 PM

Cool I hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzikas View Post
Hey guys,
Roku 3
DVD player
Ps3
Sony 1050
Wii Ps2

TIA

Hi and welcome to the Board.

A couple of things to check. First make sure ARC is activated in the Menu of the TV. Next, make sure your HDMI cable is capable of handling ARC signals.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Jim
post #1225 of 1372 Old 01-22-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Jim- View Post
Hi and welcome to the Board.

A couple of things to check. First make sure ARC is activated in the Menu of the TV. Next, make sure your HDMI cable is capable of handling ARC signals.

I hope this helps.
Hey thanks Jim,
Well I believe everything is connected correctly. All the other components output through the arc---roku 3, ps3, dvd, etc. All of these are connected via hdmi arc and work fine.
post #1226 of 1372 Old 01-22-2016, 07:53 AM

Okay, so if I understand your connections correctly, you connect everything via HDMI to the TV, and then have a separate ARC HDMI connection to the STR-DN1050. Most folks don't do it that way as they use the STR-DN1050 as a Hub, and then output it to the TV.

Anyway, it is what it is. But if that's the case then I'd go through the Settings on the TV with a fine tooth comb and see if something needs tweaking, or if the TV is capable of sending sound via ARC from OTA signals. What make / model TV do you have?

Regards,

Jim
post #1227 of 1372 Old 01-22-2016, 08:04 AM

No everything is connected to receiver with one hdmi out to tv via the arc output on Vizio e65-c3.
In tv settings, there is CEC setting with options: enabled, disabled, arc only. I had it set to disabled. Ill try arc only. But I dont understand why the other devices were working though.
post #1228 of 1372 Old 01-22-2016, 08:18 AM

The 1050 is collecting the incoming Audio signals from the devices, processing them while sending the video signals on via the HDMI connection to the TV.

The OTA TV Audio signals are sent back down that same HDMI Cable for Audio processing only.

The CEC if enabled (and if it works correctly) will not only allow the ARC to work, it will turn the TV on whenever a video signal is outputted via the HDMI Cable from the 1050 to it.

Regards,

Jim

Last edited by -Jim-; 01-22-2016 at 08:21 AM.
post #1229 of 1372 Old 01-22-2016, 08:20 AM

Ok, got it working. In tv settings I set CEC>ARC ONLY, then in Sony !050 settings HDMI CONTROL>ON. Both were set to DISABLED and OFF, respectively. Still, why were the other devices capable of outputting?
post #1230 of 1372 Old 01-22-2016, 08:35 AM

That's the way the newer receivers (including the 1050) are designed. Glad to hear you are now sorted out.

Regards,

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
STR-DN850/1050

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page