post #61 of 2420 Old 09-05-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyDeg View Post
My local dealer says he just recieved an M17 and M27 and will be displaying them starting next week.

He said the M17 processor does NOT have Audyssey MultEQ XT32 like most of us hoped for, even assumed.
NAD have refused to answer my many inquiries on this topic.

Still cannot for the life of me understand why they stick to subpar XT and not the latest XT32. Stupid. Real stupid. Bet they'll keep excusing this by saying "...oh, but there might be an MDC module with XT32 in the future". Right - like there was for the M15!

For this blunder alone the M17 processor is a joke!
I don't know about "a joke" that might be a bit terse.

But that could be a deal breaker for me, I was seriously eyeing this combo. I had an M15/M25 before my current AVP and loved it, the only reason I changed was to get Audyssey XT Pro in one box back then. I got the XT32/3D update for it and am impressed at the improvement it gave me with the AVP.
This is indeed a baffling decision by NAD for a flagship product.

That being said, I had the Audyssey SEQ with the M15 and that produced excellent results. It's impossible to draw an accurate comparison with so much time elapsed since I had those units, but my perception is that adding the XT32 in the AVP brought it on par with the M15/SEQ combo, so it's not like XT is useless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2420 Old 09-05-2014, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post
I don't know about "a joke" that might be a bit terse.

But that could be a deal breaker for me, I was seriously eyeing this combo. I had an M15/M25 before my current AVP and loved it, the only reason I changed was to get Audyssey XT Pro in one box back then. I got the XT32/3D update for it and am impressed at the improvement it gave me with the AVP.
This is indeed a baffling decision by NAD for a flagship product.

That being said, I had the Audyssey SEQ with the M15 and that produced excellent results. It's impossible to draw an accurate comparison with so much time elapsed since I had those units, but my perception is that adding the XT32 in the AVP brought it on par with the M15/SEQ combo, so it's not like XT is useless.
Despite the fact that the M17 is probably bound to have good qualities the processor is a joke to me because a lot of NAD fans have been yearning (screaming!) for a module with XT32 but after all these years one has never appeared. And in 2014 to release a brand new (or shall we say "reworked") flagship processor STILL without the latest Audyssey is puzzling beyond belief.

I'm sure those who like Audyssey and have good experience from XT wouldn't say it's useless, but no one could argue that it's not supbar compared to the superior filtering and greater accuracy from XT32. Not to mention the possibility to calibrate dual subwoofers individually. Even if you use Pro the internal MultEQ will set the limit for the result and without XT32 in the M17 the calibration result won't be in any way improved over the M15.

I bet NAD just doesn't wanna pay the licensing cost to upgrade Audyssey. Wouldn't surprise me one bit. But then so what? The customers are the ones who pay in the end anyway, and the M17 isn't exactly cheap, so what's NAD's real problem here I wonder? Weird. And for the record, I'm very happy with my down-scaled Primare processor as I don't rely on Audyssey these days but I know many home theater friends who do.

NAD M17 (processor) + NAD M27 (multichannel amp)
REVEL CONCERTA2 (5.0 speakers) + SVS SB-2000 LIMITED EDITION (dual subwoofers)
PIONEER UDP-LX500 (uhd bd player)
LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)
post #63 of 2420 Old 09-05-2014, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
I'm sure those who like Audyssey and have good experience from XT wouldn't say it's useless, but no one could argue that it's not supbar compared to the superior filtering and greater accuracy from XT32. Not to mention the possibility to calibrate dual subwoofers individually. Even if you use Pro the internal MultEQ will set the limit for the result and without XT32 in the M17 the calibration result won't be in any way improved over the M15.
I suppose the room will have a say in the value of it too.
I didn't mention it in my earlier post but back then my room was treated and had excellent pre-calibration bass performance. I had to move my rig to an untreated room and frankly XT32 really does a great job in there. I don't feel I missed much moving from the treated room which says a lot.
RickyDeg likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 2420 Old 09-05-2014, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

^ Makes perfect sense. The room itself does come first.

LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)
post #65 of 2420 Old 09-05-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by thx_golfer View Post
It also appears that they got rid of the THX badge. Seems like more and more companies aren't willing to pay THX anymore and rather live on their own branding.
I agree. While THX is not required for good sound, I like the idea of another company testing a product to ensure it meets certain standards, especially if they test the products to at least measure up to their own specifications. It amazes me sometimes how many people I speak too that don’t even know what the UL stands for on some of their electronics.
RickyDeg likes this.
post #66 of 2420 Old 09-05-2014, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post
I agree. While THX is not required for good sound, I like the idea of another company testing a product to ensure it meets certain standards, especially if they test the products to at least measure up to their own specifications. It amazes me sometimes how many people I speak too that don’t even know what the UL stands for on some of their electronics.
Could not agree more! I currently have a THX certified Onkyo 805 along with the Klipsch THX 5.1, which i am looking to upgrade to 7.2 by Christmas. If I am leaning between 2 components I will definitely go with the THX certified one. Most of us don't have the spare cash / time to do true A-B comparisons, which is why forums like this exist so we can gather opinions, and I trust those THX guys to come out with solid components.
post #67 of 2420 Old 09-05-2014, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 4299
Stopped by Audio Video Therapy in Nashua NH to and got to hear the new NAD Master series gear. The HT room had the HT processor w/7channel amp and the high end room had the 2 channel pre amp w/the 2 channel amp. Both had B&W speakers. 803's in the theater and 802's in the stereo setup. Both rooms had plenty of power and had no problem controlling the speakers. Plenty of headroom and no sign of strain. In the HT room the NAD's replaced the Classe system and I found it more than equal sonically at probably half the price. Looks and sounds like a winner to me.
post #68 of 2420 Old 09-05-2014, 04:12 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2207 Post(s)
Liked: 814
[QUOTE=RickyDeg;27124994]My local dealer says he just recieved an M17 and M27 and will be displaying them starting next week. He said the M17 processor does NOT have Audyssey MultEQ XT32 like most of us hoped for, even assumed. NAD have refused to answer my many inquiries on this topic. Still cannot for the life of me understand why they stick to subpar XT and not the latest XT32. Stupid. Real stupid. Bet they'll keep excusing this by saying "...oh, but there might be an MDC module with XT32 in the future". Right - like there was for the M15! For this blunder alone the M17 processor is a joke![/QUOTE]

For this blunder alone the M17 processor is a joke! Agreed 100%
RickyDeg likes this.
post #69 of 2420 Old 09-05-2014, 04:12 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

[QUOTE=RickyDeg;27124994]My local dealer says he just recieved an M17 and M27 and will be displaying them starting next week. He said the M17 processor does NOT have Audyssey MultEQ XT32 like most of us hoped for, even assumed. NAD have refused to answer my many inquiries on this topic. Still cannot for the life of me understand why they stick to subpar XT and not the latest XT32. Stupid. Real stupid. Bet they'll keep excusing this by saying "...oh, but there might be an MDC module with XT32 in the future". Right - like there was for the M15! For this blunder alone the M17 processor is a joke! [/QUOTE]

For this blunder alone the M17 processor is a joke! Agreed 100%
RickyDeg likes this.
post #70 of 2420 Old 09-05-2014, 04:14 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
Stopped by Audio Video Therapy in Nashua NH to and got to hear the new NAD Master series gear. The HT room had the HT processor w/7channel amp and the high end room had the 2 channel pre amp w/the 2 channel amp. Both had B&W speakers. 803's in the theater and 802's in the stereo setup. Both rooms had plenty of power and had no problem controlling the speakers. Plenty of headroom and no sign of strain. In the HT room the NAD's replaced the Classe system and I found it more than equal sonically at probably half the price. Looks and sounds like a winner to me.
How was the M27 compared too CA-2300?
post #71 of 2420 Old 09-05-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 4299
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
How was the M27 compared too CA-2300?
My personal opinion it held its own. I heard the same movie Thor 2 and no loss of dynamics. Plenty of power to spare. As far as XT32 is concerned I asked the salesman and he said they are working on an extra module. He then shrugged and said but who knows. He was being honest and inferring maybe yes and maybe no.
post #72 of 2420 Old 09-06-2014, 02:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
My personal opinion it held its own. I heard the same movie Thor 2 and no loss of dynamics. Plenty of power to spare. As far as XT32 is concerned I asked the salesman and he said they are working on an extra module. He then shrugged and said but who knows. He was being honest and inferring maybe yes and maybe no.
Sales people said the same about the M15, for several years. Nobody should hold their breath for NAD to embrace XT32. I'd like to think NAD have gotten more than enough feedback from owners and fans over the years who want XT32 but they don't seem to care (enough).

Their own loss I'd say!

LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)
post #73 of 2420 Old 09-07-2014, 12:38 AM
Advanced Member

The new Master Series is now finally up on NAD's website.
At least they look the part! Very handsome units. Even better in person, I'm sure.

LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)
post #74 of 2420 Old 09-08-2014, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's so nice the new M27 will be 65 lbs. lighter than the M25. Such a pain if you had to do anything with that almost 100 lb. beast of an amp. Hopefully the M17/27 will sound as sweet as my outgoing M15/25 combo. Deposit down...just waiting on delivery which I've heard is possibly late Sept.
post #75 of 2420 Old 09-08-2014, 03:57 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

post #76 of 2420 Old 09-08-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
M27 who sells it and what kind of price?
MSRP is $4K for the M27 and check here for your closest dealer: http://nadelectronics.com/dealers
post #77 of 2420 Old 09-09-2014, 08:37 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpickens View Post
MSRP is $4K for the M27 and check here for your closest dealer: http://nadelectronics.com/dealers
I usually get 30% off MSRP!
post #78 of 2420 Old 09-14-2014, 01:13 AM
J.P

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I have listen to the NAD M17 and M27. The products just looks gorgeous !
Hard to to say anything meaningful about the "sound" after a quick demo., sorry.

The salesman said NAD is working on a MDC to include Atmos, but did not know anything about how many channels etc.

Personaly i think the M17 lack to many features considering the price they are asking.

Many unsure factors :

--No support for Dolby Atmos (At this point, a new processor should have at least support 7.4.1 Atmos)
--No HDMI 2.0 (18GB)
--No Audyssey XT32
--No second (2)sub output on XLR(maybe not important, but still..)
--And we have no needs for analog video-connections (And if you do...don`t buy this product)
RickyDeg and IgorZep like this.
post #79 of 2420 Old 09-14-2014, 02:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P View Post
I have listen to the NAD M17 and M27. The products just looks gorgeous !
Hard to to say anything meaningful about the "sound" after a quick demo., sorry.

The salesman said NAD is working on a MDC to include Atmos, but did not know anything about how many channels etc.

Personaly i think the M17 lack to many features considering the price they are asking.

Many unsure factors :

--No support for Dolby Atmos (At this point, a new processor should have at least support 7.4.1 Atmos)
--No HDMI 2.0 (18GB)
--No Audyssey XT32
--No second (2)sub output on XLR(maybe not important, but still..)
--And we have no needs for analog video-connections (And if you do...don`t buy this product)
Some of those omissions make this flagship processor a bit of a joke, like I said before.
Never trust what they say about MDC. They talked about Audyssey XT32 three years ago. Still nothing.
abatsky likes this.

LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)
post #80 of 2420 Old 09-15-2014, 03:29 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

post #81 of 2420 Old 09-30-2014, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
SInce you all are using the m15hd2, can I ask a bit of advice on the Nad Dac's... specifically the M51 vs M15hd2.

I am running a digital music player through a Nad 757 (driving PSB image speakers (5 channels, 2 front towers.)

I recently bought a nad m51, and wow, the sound is impressive.
As me and my wife enjoy listening to the music in ears or extended stereo, we are currently running the M51 into the 757, which does, per my reading, further processing on the sound after the dac.

To get less post processing after the dac, and to get the (audyssey xt pro) I was thinking of returning the m51 and replacing it with a m15hd2, and just let that drive the t757 in bypass mode.

I was hoping you all could answer a few questions:

1. Is the dac in the m15hd2 the same as in the m51? Is the M51 better quality?

2. Should I replace the m51 with the m15hd2, or should I run the m51 into the m15hd2?

3. Is all of this over thinking it, and should I just get a better receiver like the nad 787 and plug in the M51?
post #82 of 2420 Old 10-01-2014, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Garner View Post
To get less post processing after the dac, and to get the (audyssey xt pro) I was thinking of returning the m51 and replacing it with a m15hd2, and just let that drive the t757 in bypass mode.

I was hoping you all could answer a few questions:

1. Is the dac in the m15hd2 the same as in the m51? Is the M51 better quality?

2. Should I replace the m51 with the m15hd2, or should I run the m51 into the m15hd2?

3. Is all of this over thinking it, and should I just get a better receiver like the nad 787 and plug in the M51?
1. No, they are completely different animals M15 HD / M15 HD2 / M17 and M51. M1x pre-amps use conventional multi-ch or 2-ch dac chips, vs. the M51 is their upconverted PWM conversion thingy. So yes, M51 is going to be the better of them.

Now, the M12 2-ch pre-amp uses the same kind of a converter as the M51. So those two would sound about the same.

2. You should not replace the M51.

3. Adding the M15 HD2 or M17, or even the M12 is not going to help you (IMHO) if you continue to drive the speakers with/through the 757 or even with 787. Only if you also give up the AV-receiver all together, and go directly from M15 HD2 / M17 to power amps, then that would make sense. M25 was great a power amp, and M27 is likely to be one too. Emotivas might also get you there too. Esp. the monoblocks for L/R and multich for the rest.

Maybe M12 and M22 combo, plus your existing 757 might be good. Then you could sell the M51. In this case the connections would be as follows 757 L/R pre-out -> M12 -> M22. C+LS+RS+SBL+SBR speakers would be connected to the 757, along with all multichannel sources.
post #83 of 2420 Old 10-05-2014, 07:13 AM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

post #84 of 2420 Old 10-14-2014, 03:17 PM

Will the M17 decode DSD audio natively?

Has anyone heard if the new M17 pre/pro will decode DSD audio natively or still have to convert to PCM first like the old M15 HD2? I can't seem to find the info anywhere online.
post #85 of 2420 Old 10-14-2014, 03:46 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Has anyone heard if the new M17 pre/pro will decode DSD audio natively or still have to convert to PCM first like the old M15 HD2? I can't seem to find the info anywhere online.
Nope I don't think it does!
post #86 of 2420 Old 10-15-2014, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Nope, it won't. Checked this with my Swedish distributor who got the info directly from NAD.

One of several omissions in this joke of a flagship processor. No Audyssey MultEQ XT32 is the biggest joke.

LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)
post #87 of 2420 Old 10-15-2014, 01:35 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

post #88 of 2420 Old 10-17-2014, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Where can I get a good price on the NAD M27?
Agreed. Im ready to pull the trigger on the M27 also. Local dealers want preorder at MSRP of $3999

7.2 with Thiel Power Points, twin Seaton Submersive F2's in Espresso. D-Sonic Amp, Marantz Pre-Pro, Richard Grey Power, Control 4 Home Automation, lots of Blue Jean Cables, Oppo 103D, QNAP 423, Roku, Darbee, Samsung Plasma 64" 8500 all in a Salamander Synergy 247 in Walnut.
post #89 of 2420 Old 10-23-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiorgio View Post
Agreed. Im ready to pull the trigger on the M27 also. Local dealers want preorder at MSRP of $3999

My local audio dealer bought back my old NAD M15HD2/M25 combo, so was able to knock a few thousand off my new M17/M27 combo. Had it for about a week now and it sounds great. Still breaking in, but no drop off in sonic quality compared to the M15/M25.
post #90 of 2420 Old 10-23-2014, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
My local dealer says he just recieved an M17 and M27 and will be displaying them starting next week.

He said the M17 processor does NOT have Audyssey MultEQ XT32 like most of us hoped for, even assumed.
NAD have refused to answer my many inquiries on this topic.

Still cannot for the life of me understand why they stick to subpar XT and not the latest XT32. Stupid. Real stupid. Bet they'll keep excusing this by saying "...oh, but there might be an MDC module with XT32 in the future". Right - like there was for the M15!

For this blunder alone the M17 processor is a joke!
And here's another serious joke from NAD:

"We are reviewing the possible implementation of this feature but no current plans to release a upgrade module with Dolby Atmos."
RickyDeg likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page