post #1861 of 2495 Old 11-22-2018, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3344 Post(s)
Liked: 1844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Just hit the "EQ" button on the remote and use up/down buttons to change.
That's pretty cool! Far easier than what I'd been doing and obviously I didn't know it was possible.

Thanks for sharing it!
klh1790 likes this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1862 of 2495 Old 11-22-2018, 09:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Yes.

Yes. January 2019.
Great! Another interesting read. I have lots of your reviews to look forward to in the very near future.

Ron

JVC RS4810 projector Stewart Cima 115" 2.35 screen, ATI 523 and 528 amps
7 mirror imaged 2 way DIY monitors. All matched to within 1db. All parts matched, 1 SVS SB16 ultra subwoofer
Emotiva XMC-1 processor Marantz UD5007 Bluray player
Furman sequencer ran off of a double 50amp breaker,Furman power conditioner
All in a dedicated 15x22x8 foot dedicated home theater.
post #1863 of 2495 Old 11-23-2018, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Just subscribed to Tidal via their Black Friday deal. Call me impressed. MQA sounds great on the M17. Upconverting stereo using EARS sub getting a workout as well - George

LG C9 | NAD T777v3 | NAD M25 | Monitor Audio Platinum PL100 II | Monitor Audio Platinum PLC150 II | 6 Monitor Gold GXFX | JL Audio F212v2 | Virgin v6 | Pioneer LX 500 4k Blu-Ray | Apple TV 4k | Linn Sondek LP12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1864 of 2495 Old 11-23-2018, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Here some good news, Dirac Live® 2.0 for Arcam and NAD has been officially released and can be downloaded here:
https://live.dirac.com/buy-now
download links at the bottom of the page.

I understand that users should now have been transferred to the new system so their email account should be there.
Please reset the password ("Forgotten pwd") here:
https://live.dirac.com/login​

Thanks

Warning: My posts might be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)
post #1865 of 2495 Old 11-27-2018, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Well, I've had a demo unit at my place for a few weeks now and I guess it's convinced me to buy my own. Despite my initial reaction to this model at its price point, I like what Dirac is doing in my room and I've not even started to tweak it. Toggling on / off with the remote (thanks @Kal Rubinson for the tip) makes it even more obvious how much it cleans up the bass in my room. This leaves "space" for the highs to punch through clearly. Besides the sound-stage challenges I have (room corrections needed), this is the best this system has sounded. That's quite surprising because I thought its new home was doomed when I first started setting the room up with my old Denon 2106 just to get it running. I was ready to sell everything, lol.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll like it more once I tweak the curve, but I do like that Dirac seems keen to follow the natural curve of my setup (which I push bass heavy) instead of trying to make it conform to its curve (well, either that or my natural house curve is pretty close to what it wants, but I doubt that, lol).

That said, it's not perfect, but I can't think of anything else at its price-point that has Dirac and won't be riddled with bugs until who-knows-when. I'm still not entirely convinced that it's worth the asking price, or even what it streets at, however since there isn't currently anything else under $10k that has Atmos and Dirac at any channel count, I guess it is worth it by default if, like me, one wants Dirac. If I didn't need XLR, I'd go with one of their AVRs, but I'm running 75' of signal cable for the L/R channels, so...RCA isn't likely to cut it.

Guess I'll post more once I get my own in hand. And I have to eat crow for my initial comments about the unit in the other thread; I honestly never thought I'd own it!
AustinJerry and johnnygrandis like this.
post #1866 of 2495 Old 11-27-2018, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
Well, I've had a demo unit at my place for a few weeks now and I guess it's convinced me to buy my own. Despite my initial reaction to this model at its price point, I like what Dirac is doing in my room and I've not even started to tweak it. Toggling on / off with the remote (thanks @Kal Rubinson for the tip) makes it even more obvious how much it cleans up the bass in my room. This leaves "space" for the highs to punch through clearly. Besides the sound-stage challenges I have (room corrections needed), this is the best this system has sounded. That's quite surprising because I thought its new home was doomed when I first started setting the room up with my old Denon 2106 just to get it running. I was ready to sell everything, lol.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll like it more once I tweak the curve, but I do like that Dirac seems keen to follow the natural curve of my setup (which I push bass heavy) instead of trying to make it conform to its curve (well, either that or my natural house curve is pretty close to what it wants, but I doubt that, lol).

That said, it's not perfect, but I can't think of anything else at its price-point that has Dirac and won't be riddled with bugs until who-knows-when. I'm still not entirely convinced that it's worth the asking price, or even what it streets at, however since there isn't currently anything else under $10k that has Atmos and Dirac at any channel count, I guess it is worth it by default if, like me, one wants Dirac. If I didn't need XLR, I'd go with one of their AVRs, but I'm running 75' of signal cable for the L/R channels, so...RCA isn't likely to cut it.

Guess I'll post more once I get my own in hand. And I have to eat crow for my initial comments about the unit in the other thread; I honestly never thought I'd own it!
Have you tried Dirac 2.0 yet?
Ran it a couple of days ago and it are even better than the previous in my room.

Samsung 65"Q7FN, Sony UBP X800, Mede8er med600x3d, Nvidia Shield tv, Atv4k, Xbox One X, Hp htpc.
Nad M17 , ATI AT543NC ,Nad M25.
Arendal Sound tower, Arendal center, Arendal Surround, Arendal sub 2, Arendal sub 1 Dali Oberon On-wall, Dali Alteco C-1.
post #1867 of 2495 Old 11-28-2018, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by sveineb View Post
Have you tried Dirac 2.0 yet?
Ran it a couple of days ago and it are even better than the previous in my room.
No, I'll probably start experimenting with that stuff once I get mine.
post #1868 of 2495 Old 11-29-2018, 04:29 AM

Good news another owner - i’m wondering whether we should merge the NAD M17/T758/T777 threads as most of the questions these days are NAD Dirac related. They did this in the UK for the Arcam models and that seems to work quite well - George

LG C9 | NAD T777v3 | NAD M25 | Monitor Audio Platinum PL100 II | Monitor Audio Platinum PLC150 II | 6 Monitor Gold GXFX | JL Audio F212v2 | Virgin v6 | Pioneer LX 500 4k Blu-Ray | Apple TV 4k | Linn Sondek LP12
post #1869 of 2495 Old 11-29-2018, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrossen View Post
Good news another owner - i’m wondering whether we should merge the NAD M17/T758/T777 threads as most of the questions these days are NAD Dirac related. They did this in the UK for the Arcam models and that seems to work quite well - George
I think it would be better with a Dirac Live 2.0 thread.
bootster likes this.

Samsung 65"Q7FN, Sony UBP X800, Mede8er med600x3d, Nvidia Shield tv, Atv4k, Xbox One X, Hp htpc.
Arendal Sound tower, Arendal center, Arendal Surround, Arendal sub 2, Arendal sub 1 Dali Oberon On-wall, Dali Alteco C-1.
post #1870 of 2495 Old 11-29-2018, 07:23 AM

Ok let’s see if anyone wants to go for it - now Dirac 2 is the same software for NAD & Arcam this does make sense

post #1871 of 2495 Old 12-01-2018, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Hello AVS Forum Community! I just picked up a M17 v2 and M27 thanks to many of your contributions in this particular thread. I went through all 63 pages among countless other consumer reviews/blogs, professional reviews, etc. Unfortunately, there wasn't a local dealer in my area that could get a hold of these for auditioning so I bought blind. I have a pretty long history with being a PSB and NAD customer so it wasn't that hard of a sell for me. I'm very happy with the look, feel and sound of this equipment. It matches quite well with my PSB T3s.

With this being said, I had a question regarding using DIRAC on the M17 v2. I received no DIRAC licensing info in my box. I followed the NAD instructions as best as I could on installing BluOS, connecting to it with my phone and updating my M17's various firmware. Regardless, I can't add my M17 to the DIRAC app on my laptop. It's seen, but whenever I click on my M17 to add it, I get the following error (image attached). I'm so close to running DIRAC and was hoping to tinker with it this weekend, but alas, I'm stuck. Any suggestions?

-Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181130_203223 (cropped).jpg
Views:	47
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	2490778  

Last edited by RealDiel; 12-03-2018 at 10:40 AM.
post #1872 of 2495 Old 12-01-2018, 05:00 PM

Ok I found the NAD download for DIRAC. Interestingly enough, I couldn't find it through NAD's website. I Googled for it and found the site. Here we go..

EDIT: I would've shared the link, but can't with one post under my name. NAD's knowledge article links to DIRAC's site in error for the download.
post #1873 of 2495 Old 12-01-2018, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked: 1166
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealDiel View Post
Ok I found the NAD download for DIRAC. Interestingly enough, I couldn't find it through NAD's website. I Googled for it and found the site. Here we go..
I thought the site link was in the little Quick Start guide.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #1874 of 2495 Old 12-01-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
I thought the site link was in the little Quick Start guide.
A web address for how to get started with DIRAC on the M17 v2 is provided in the quick start pamphlet in the box, but the site referenced redirects to DIRAC's site to download the retail version of DIRAC in error. NAD's site is a bit kludgy to navigate as well, but managed to find the actual NAD DIRAC install on NAD's site by searching externally via Google. I've had to do the same thing for Microsoft KB articles I was looking for addressing technical issues I was researching. Google's GSA (Google Search Appliance) is quite powerful, but very expense for 3rd parties to use with their own internal search functions.

Going through DIRAC's calibration and measurement process wasn't bad. The GUI could use a bit of polish. Perhaps 2.0 will address that. Applying the NAD suggested curve to all of speakers resulted in being a bit overwhelmed by the lower frequencies (NAD RoomFeel EQ). I haven't made any of my own curves yet. I'll take a look at the DIRAC-specific posts for ideas. Has anyone found, to their ears anyway, the perfect DIRAC curve over no EQ at all? I'm split 70/30 with stereo music (classic rock to orchestral) and movies (action/sci-fi).
post #1875 of 2495 Old 12-02-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
A web address for how to get started with DIRAC on the M17 v2 is provided in the quick start pamphlet in the box, but the site referenced redirects to DIRAC's site to download the retail version of DIRAC in error.
That was not my experience but, since I no longer have the M17, I cannot illuminate this.

Quote:
Going through DIRAC's calibration and measurement process wasn't bad. The GUI could use a bit of polish. Perhaps 2.0 will address that. Applying the NAD suggested curve to all of speakers resulted in being a bit overwhelmed by the lower frequencies (NAD RoomFeel EQ).
I like the DL default curve but with correction limited to the range below the woofer-mid crossover frequency. See my January 2019 review.
zizikos likes this.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #1876 of 2495 Old 12-02-2018, 11:16 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 376 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11116 Post(s)
Liked: 6618
Quote:
Has anyone found, to their ears anyway, the perfect DIRAC curve over no EQ at all? I'm split 70/30 with stereo music (classic rock to orchestral) and movies (action/sci-fi).
I don't claim to have found the "perfect" custom target, but I have used one based on the Harman research. A picture of my custom target is attached, as well as the target text file for the left/right speaker pair. While I am a MiniDSP 88A user, the Dirac target curves should be applicable across all platforms running Dirac. There is a guide covering how to create and apply custom curves linked in my sig. I tailor my 7.1 system to optimize for two-channel music listening.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dirac Left-Right.PNG
Views:	82
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	2490264  
Attached Files
File Type: txt LR.txt (405 Bytes, 32 views)
elvinps2626 and RealDiel like this.
post #1877 of 2495 Old 12-02-2018, 11:50 AM

Realdiel - you should load Dirac v2 from the Dirac web site - v2 is a little easier to use than v1 - works fine with the M17 v 2

post #1878 of 2495 Old 12-02-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
That was not my experience but, since I no longer have the M17, I cannot illuminate this.
Per NAD support, they're in between hosting and not hosting various Dirac apps which may explain the confusing redirect to DIRAC Live's site for the retail installer versus NAD's DIRAC installer. NAD support sent me a link to grab the full version of DIRAC Live off of a DropBox link provided so all is well now. Despite the challenges with their website, NAD support has been great.

Quote:
I like the DL default curve but with correction limited to the range below the woofer-mid crossover frequency. See my January 2019 review.
I'll eagerly read it when it hits. I assume after the new year?
post #1879 of 2495 Old 12-02-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I don't claim to have found the "perfect" custom target, but I have used one based on the Harman research. A picture of my custom target is attached, as well as the target text file for the left/right speaker pair. While I am a MiniDSP 88A user, the Dirac target curves should be applicable across all platforms running Dirac. There is a guide covering how to create and apply custom curves linked in my sig. I tailor my 7.1 system to optimize for two-channel music listening.
Hi Jerry. I see you're a fellow Austinite as well. Thanks for the target curve suggestion and passing on the knowledge. I look forward to learning more about creating custom target curves in DL. Room treatment is next on the to-do list to extract as much aural goodness from my setup. The plan is to have a dedicated listening room in our next custom home. That's probably 5 years or more away though. Until then, our living room will have to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrossen View Post
Realdiel - you should load Dirac v2 from the Dirac web site - v2 is a little easier to use than v1 - works fine with the M17 v 2
NAD support hooked me up with a DL 2.0 install specific to my NAD M17 v2 via DropBox (haven't had time to install it yet after tinkering with LE). I had previously tried the 2.0 retail install off of DIRAC's site and it wouldn't register my M17 v2 (see prior post above for the error). DIRAC support also responded to my trouble ticket over the weekend and mentioned the error I received while attempting to register my M17 v2 is a rare occurrence caused by an issue with their back-end registration database. We're working through that glitch right now.
AustinJerry likes this.
post #1880 of 2495 Old 12-03-2018, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Yes.

Yes. January 2019.
Kal, have you listened to the Yamaha CX-A5200 and if so can you draw a comparison to the M17 V2?

Thanks

Surround Theater: Panasonic DP-UB820-> Yamaha CX-A5200-> Emotiva amps-> Paradigm Persona 9H, JL Fathom v2, JVC NX-5
Two channel: Custom Audio Linux Server (sCLK-EX modified motherboard, Mutec REF 10)->AL NUC NA->Holo Spring L3 DAC ->Audio Research LS28->Benchmark AHB2 ->Paradigm Persona 9H Analog: VPI Prime (Ortofon Quintet Black)-> Simaudio Neo 310LP
post #1881 of 2495 Old 12-03-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jszei View Post
Kal, have you listened to the Yamaha CX-A5200 and if so can you draw a comparison to the M17 V2?
I have not listened to that Yamaha nor any since the Yamaha Aventage CX-A5000.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #1882 of 2495 Old 12-04-2018, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Has anybody heard when the DTS:X update will be out?
post #1883 of 2495 Old 12-04-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davyhed View Post
Has anybody heard when the DTS:X update will be out?
From Nad support two days ago: "DTS-X certification is pending. Once DTS-X has passed, new firmware will be available at the M17 website."

post #1884 of 2495 Old 12-05-2018, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sveineb View Post
From Nad support two days ago: "DTS-X certification is pending. Once DTS-X has passed, new firmware will be available at the M17 website."
Thanks man! This group never disapoints!
sveineb likes this.
post #1885 of 2495 Old 12-05-2018, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Hello AVS Forum Community! I just picked up a M17 v2 and M27 thanks to many of your contributions in this particular thread. I went through all 63 pages among countless other consumer reviews/blogs, professional reviews, etc. Unfortunately, there wasn't a local dealer in my area that could get a hold of these for auditioning so I bought blind. I have a pretty long history with being a PSB and NAD customer so it wasn't that hard of a sell for me. I'm very happy with the look, feel and sound of this equipment. It matches quite well with my PSB T3s.

With this being said, I had a question regarding using DIRAC on the M17 v2. I received no DIRAC licensing info in my box. I followed the NAD instructions as best as I could on installing BluOS, connecting to it with my phone and updating my M17's various firmware. Regardless, I can't add my M17 to the DIRAC app on my laptop. It's seen, but whenever I click on my M17 to add it, I get the following error (image attached). I'm so close to running DIRAC and was hoping to tinker with it this weekend, but alas, I'm stuck. Any suggestions?

-Neil

That message means that your serial number has to be manually added to our database because, at the moment, we have not received all of the serial numbers from NAD.
Please contact us here: http://helpdesk.dirac.se/index.php?pg=request

Thanks, Flavio

Warning: My posts might be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)
post #1886 of 2495 Old 12-05-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flax View Post
That message means that your serial number has to be manually added to our database because, at the moment, we have not received all of the serial numbers from NAD.
Please contact us here: http://helpdesk.dirac.se/index.php?pg=request

Thanks, Flavio
Hi Flavio,

DIRAC support added my serial number to the DB a few days ago so all is well. I ran DL 2.0 full last night and am quite happy with the results. I used the Harman curve and my ears like it so far!

-Neil
rhale64L7 likes this.
post #1887 of 2495 Old 12-19-2018, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 113
What's the best price for the NAD combo of M17 V2 and M27?..

LG OLED C8 65 2018 BR . HT: JVC RS2000, S Studio Tek 130 1.3 Gain screen, Apple TV4k, Def Tech 9080/C 9080/9040 Dolby Atmos Speakers, Denon X6500H , Panasonic UB820 and a nagging wife.
post #1888 of 2495 Old 12-19-2018, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I‘m also interested. But just in the m17v2.
post #1889 of 2495 Old 12-19-2018, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone else read Kal's review to the M17v2?

I was disappointed to learn that Dirac will require down sampling of hi res multi channel recordings to 48kz. While not necessarily a deal breaker it is disappointing. For a high end pre-pro it seems shortsighted.

Denon 4308
CM-5's
CMC
M-1's
Panasonic TH-50PZ800U
HSU VTF-2 MK4
post #1890 of 2495 Old 12-19-2018, 06:11 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 376 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11116 Post(s)
Liked: 6618
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhitworth View Post
Has anyone else read Kal's review to the M17v2?

I was disappointed to learn that Dirac will require down sampling of hi res multi channel recordings to 48kz. While not necessarily a deal breaker it is disappointing. For a high end pre-pro it seems shortsighted.
I have not seen the review, and it doesn't appear on the Music in the Round web page. Do you have a link?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page