813Likes

post #2311 of 2398 Old 05-12-2019, 10:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiNAD View Post
Nobody problems with the latest firmware 1.28?
I went back to 1.27 and have no problems anymore, and no DTS-X

Hi Martin,

which problems did you have with the update? I have a hiss on the channels when Neural:X is starting with a signal. Is this what you mean? Or any additional problems?

Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 2398 Old 05-13-2019, 01:19 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyTurbo View Post
Hi Martin,

which problems did you have with the update? I have a hiss on the channels when Neural:X is starting with a signal. Is this what you mean? Or any additional problems?

Regards
hi benny,
the problem I have had since the new update 1.28 is that I no longer have any sound from the surround speakers. often the sound only comes from the front speakers and sometimes nothing at all. by switching with different sound formats on the disc, he sometimes wants to give good sound and then I can watch film in surround. Now that I am back with firmware 1.27 the amplifier has no more problems. So it is known at NAD and comes with an update soon.
I know someone who has the same problems here in the Netherlands.
greeting

NAD M17 - M27 - M12 - M22 - M50.2 Oppo 205 JVC RS540 Paradigm monitor100 Velodyne DD15+
post #2313 of 2398 Old 05-14-2019, 05:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Hi all

roe12605 pointed out that the Android app I've been building for my NAD T-758 also works for the M17. If there are Android users here looking for a mobile NAD companion, give my app a try.

Since I don't own a M17, testing is difficult. That means that it might or might not function properly. I'm of course eager to receive feedback so that I can adjust the app for the M17.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....mrooding.t758

Kind regards

Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2314 of 2398 Old 05-16-2019, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Am I crazy to expect my M15HD2 with upgraded VM300 and AM17 would be able to have a HDFury Vertex/Roku 4K plugged in and send a signal through a 40' Ruipro to my BenQ LK970 and actually get working image and sound? Are the odds like winning the Lotto?

rynopr

Last edited by rynopr; 05-16-2019 at 03:43 PM.
post #2315 of 2398 Old 05-16-2019, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynopr View Post
Am I crazy to expect my M15HD2 with upgraded VM300 and AM17 would be able to have a HDFury Vertex/Roku 4K plugged in and send a signal through a 40' Ruipro to my BenQ LK970 and actually get working image and sound? Are the odds like winning the Lotto?

NAD will not successfully handshake with BenQ when playing HDCP 2.2 content. Check my old posts in this thread, I struggled a lot with it and had to return my M17 after NAD support was not able to resolve the issue for over 2 months. I even tried the HDFury Integral 2 (same as Vertex minus the OLED) to fix the EDID and it worked in some scenarios, but there were still handshake issues.

I use Ruipro cables as well...great cables at a reasonable price!

Audio: Bryston SP4 | NAD M27
Video: BenQ HT9060 | Stewart Cima | Custom HTPC | Sony UBP-X800M2
Speakers: B&W CM10 S2, CM Center 2 S2, 4 x DS3 | 4 x SVS SB4000
Acoustic treatment: GSK Acoustics
Furniture: Middle Atlantic RSC rack |
Seatcraft recliners | Sound Anchors
post #2316 of 2398 Old 05-17-2019, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Liked: 539
All these HDMI posts makes me wonder if I'm going to be in trouble if I go to connect an XB1X to mine and expect it to forward 4k HDR to my Sony. When I originally had the demo unit, with the cables I had, I couldn't get my Sony 4k UHD player to hand-shake at 4k through the NAD. Since then, I've installed new cables because I was having other issues with sparkles and cut-outs. But, I still have the UHD player connected directly to the TV and receiver independently (via it's audio-only output). I only do this because I'm used to it from my last receiver and the input on the TV for the UHD player has different picture settings, so even if it were connected through the NAD I'd have to switch the picture settings on the TV which is nearly as "annoying" as having to switch the input, so...it's a wash. But, I don't think the XB1X has this option, and I'll be a bit angry if it doesn't work.

Well, hey, at least I don't have any of the whine/hiss issues -- but, I wonder if that's because I'm only using 2.1 channels (I know, what a waste of the unit, right, lol). Has anyone checked to see if these issues go away by disconnecting the Atmos channels? Just curious. It would seem to me that if this was a unit-to-unit variation that NAD could pin it down and fix it. I'm wondering if it's a usage variation, instead.
post #2317 of 2398 Old 05-17-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
All these HDMI posts makes me wonder if I'm going to be in trouble if I go to connect an XB1X to mine and expect it to forward 4k HDR to my Sony. When I originally had the demo unit, with the cables I had, I couldn't get my Sony 4k UHD player to hand-shake at 4k through the NAD. Since then, I've installed new cables because I was having other issues with sparkles and cut-outs. But, I still have the UHD player connected directly to the TV and receiver independently (via it's audio-only output). I only do this because I'm used to it from my last receiver and the input on the TV for the UHD player has different picture settings, so even if it were connected through the NAD I'd have to switch the picture settings on the TV which is nearly as "annoying" as having to switch the input, so...it's a wash. But, I don't think the XB1X has this option, and I'll be a bit angry if it doesn't work.

Well, hey, at least I don't have any of the whine/hiss issues -- but, I wonder if that's because I'm only using 2.1 channels (I know, what a waste of the unit, right, lol). Has anyone checked to see if these issues go away by disconnecting the Atmos channels? Just curious. It would seem to me that if this was a unit-to-unit variation that NAD could pin it down and fix it. I'm wondering if it's a usage variation, instead.

Sparkles are an indication that your HDMI cable isn't providing you full bandwidth. You should upgrade your HDMI cable and I suggest getting the Ruipro fiber optic cable. Don't use Active copper cables, they are junk. If you have a passive cable and it's shorter than 6ft, then it will possibly work, but you can always buy a 10ft fiber optic cable to keep things optimal. Don't use HDMI wall jacks, always do home runs from device to device....this is critical for 18Gbps signals.

My Sony X800 blu ray player handshaked properly with the NAD. I was using a Monoprice 3ft long passive certified 18Gbps HDMI cable, connected to audio/video HDMI port on Sony and HDMI1 on the NAD.

If you run into a handshake issue, you could try to use a 4K HDMI splitter. Use one output to connect your display and other to connect your NAD. This will split the Xbox signal 2 ways.

post #2318 of 2398 Old 05-17-2019, 10:02 AM

[QUOTE]NAD will not successfully handshake with BenQ when playing HDCP 2.2 content. Check my old posts in this thread, I struggled a lot with it and had to return my M17 after NAD support was not able to resolve the issue for over 2 months. I even tried the HDFury Integral 2 (same as Vertex minus the OLED) to fix the EDID and it worked in some scenarios, but there were still handshake issues./QUOTE]

Which BenQ model did you have? I guess there is always a possibility that it is model dependent? ...wishful thinking I'm sure.

The ONLY difference between Integral 2 and Vertex is OLED?

Thanks much!

rynopr
post #2319 of 2398 Old 05-17-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Which BenQ model did you have? I guess there is always a possibility that it is model dependent? ...wishful thinking I'm sure
I have a HT9060. NAD fails to perform HDCP 2.2 handshake when playing protected content. It works in other scenarios.

Quote:
The ONLY difference between Integral 2 and Vertex is OLED?
Yes

post #2320 of 2398 Old 05-17-2019, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankmittal View Post
Sparkles are an indication that your HDMI cable isn't providing you full bandwidth. You should upgrade your HDMI cable and I suggest getting the Ruipro fiber optic cable.
Aware and already done . But, I did have new (supposedly 4k) cables in use at the time that I was getting negotiation issues and I took these same cables and used them directly between the player and TV. Then I was getting a successful negotiation, but, as mentioned, with sparkles and drop-outs. So, the Best Buy brand 4k cables were obviously junk!
Quote:
Don't use Active copper cables, they are junk. If you have a passive cable and it's shorter than 6ft, then it will possibly work, but you can always buy a 10ft fiber optic cable to keep things optimal. Don't use HDMI wall jacks, always do home runs from device to device....this is critical for 18Gbps signals.
Fortunately, I elected to keep my HDMI runs short by placing the NAD in-room under my TV and running long XLR and speaker cables to my (noisy) amps. I didn't want to deal with expensive fiber cables. Of course, I wish I could shut the stupid display off on the NAD, because it is the brightest thing in the room and the only reason I'd like to move it in the storage closet with my amps, lol.
Quote:
My Sony X800 blu ray player handshaked properly with the NAD. I was using a Monoprice 3ft long passive certified 18Gbps HDMI cable, connected to audio/video HDMI port on Sony and HDMI1 on the NAD.

If you run into a handshake issue, you could try to use a 4K HDMI splitter. Use one output to connect your display and other to connect your NAD. This will split the Xbox signal 2 ways.
Good to know your X800 worked (that's what I have, too). It very well could have been my cables all along, I just haven't bothered to connect it any other way since buying better cables (for the reasons mentioned).

If I pick up an XB1X, I'll certainly whine on here if it doesn't work, haha!
post #2321 of 2398 Old 05-17-2019, 10:28 AM

Can a Roku 4K be plugged directly into an HDFury then audio over HDMI to the NAD prepro and video directly to BenQ?

rynopr

Last edited by rynopr; 05-17-2019 at 10:35 AM.
post #2322 of 2398 Old 05-17-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Can a Roku 4K be plugged directly into an HDFury then audio over HDMI to the NAD prepro and video directly to BenQ?
No. The HDFury Vertex needs to be between the NAD and BenQ if you run into HDMI issues. If you are not feeding video to your BenQ from the NAD, then you don't need to do use Vertex. My Roku worked with NAD without any issues, so your HDMI chain will look like this: Roku -> NAD -> Vertex -> BenQ

post #2323 of 2398 Old 05-18-2019, 02:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Hi - haven't posted for a while as I've been in discussions with my dealer and NAD. I've decided to return my M17 and get a new T777 plus new OLED and a Pioneer LX500. I've had a loaner T777 (shop demo unit) for the last 3 months and I've now got used to it. Sonically the T777 is pretty close to the M17 and doesn't seem to have the issues I had with the M17. I have to give credit to SevenOaks Sound and Vision (UK NAD dealer) who have been very helpful in this entire episode.
RickyDeg and KenM10759 like this.

LG C9 | NAD T777v3 | NAD M25 | Monitor Audio Platinum PL100 II | Monitor Audio Platinum PLC150 II | 6 Monitor Gold GXFX | JL Audio F212v2 | Virgin v6 | Pioneer LX 500 4k Blu-Ray | Apple TV 4k | Linn Sondek LP12
post #2324 of 2398 Old 05-18-2019, 03:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrossen View Post
Hi - haven't posted for a while as I've been in discussions with my dealer and NAD. I've decided to return my M17 and get a new T777 plus new OLED and a Pioneer LX500. I've had a loaner T777 (shop demo unit) for the last 3 months and I've now got used to it. Sonically the T777 is pretty close to the M17 and doesn't seem to have the issues I had with the M17. I have to give credit to SevenOaks Sound and Vision (UK NAD dealer) who have been very helpful in this entire episode.
All things considered I think you made the right choice. The troublesome reasons that led you there are unfortunate though. NAD are great but they've disrupted the magic of the M17 V2 with peculiar noise issues some of us are experiencing. V1 never had these problems.
ggrossen likes this.

NAD M17 (processor) + NAD M27 (multichannel amp)
REVEL CONCERTA2 (5.0 speakers) + SVS SB-2000 LIMITED EDITION (dual subwoofers)
PIONEER UDP-LX500 (uhd bd player)
LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)
post #2325 of 2398 Old 05-18-2019, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I am considering to buy a M17 v2. I live in Germany and the German NAD Homepage is a mess right now. I couldn't find out, if the M17 supports Dolby Vision. Reading this thread I think it does, but the distributor in Germany says it doesn't.
Can a owner say something about this?
post #2326 of 2398 Old 05-18-2019, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.H View Post
Hi,

I am considering to buy a M17 v2. I live in Germany and the German NAD Homepage is a mess right now. I couldn't find out, if the M17 supports Dolby Vision. Reading this thread I think it does, but the distributor in Germany says it doesn't.
Can a owner say something about this?
It handles Dolby Vision without issue.
Just watch out for the peculiar speaker noise issue discussed heavily in this thread. Good luck.

LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)
post #2327 of 2398 Old 05-19-2019, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Does NAD publish release notes for their upgrades? I just upgraded to MCU 1.28 and the latest BluOS etc. but after reading this thread I'm a little concerned. I've not noticed any issues yet, but it would still be useful to know what has changed. In addition, the 'Release Notes' in the downloads section of the M17 page is a link to a previous firmware.

NAD M17, M27
KLIPSCH THX ULTRA2 (5.1)
OPPO UDP-203
post #2328 of 2398 Old 05-19-2019, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xterc View Post
Does NAD publish release notes for their upgrades? I just upgraded to MCU 1.28 and the latest BluOS etc. but after reading this thread I'm a little concerned. I've not noticed any issues yet, but it would still be useful to know what has changed. In addition, the 'Release Notes' in the downloads section of the M17 page is a link to a previous firmware.
They do not publish them online atm but you ought to be able to SUBMIT A REQUEST and just ask for details when a new firmware is out. I did that once and they got back to me same day with a detailed list.

LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)
post #2329 of 2398 Old 05-19-2019, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is Nad M17 v2 compatible with Dirac live 2.0?
post #2330 of 2398 Old 05-19-2019, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlock_cap View Post
Is Nad M17 v2 compatible with Dirac live 2.0?
Yes it has the new 2.2.1 Dirac Live....
post #2331 of 2398 Old 05-21-2019, 06:12 AM

Here is my situation on my M15HD2.

I installed the VM300. The board was no problem to install whatsoever. I kept reading and re-reading different posts concerning firmware and software updates. I was able to both successfully install the firmware and software. PC said I was successful and the readout on the display said I was at 1.28.

Last night I tried to install the AM17. First, I felt like the socket wasn't lining up quite like it should. I played with it some then thought I had it properly seated. At first the little screws and screw holes were not lining up either, but was then able to screw it in with those little tiny screws. When I plugged it into the wall, toggled the back switch on, then hit the power button, the power light flickered red and no power. I re-tried a couple of times-nothing. I then tried to switch out for the original board, and it won't line up at all to seat in the sockets. I'm not sure what has happened, but I do have a bad feeling like I have bricked the unit

I know there is the Dirac software to be installed. Does that need to be installed for this board to work properly even if I am not using Dirac initially? Is it not enough to have the 1.28 firmware installed?

Suggestions welcome!

rynopr
post #2332 of 2398 Old 05-21-2019, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Here is my situation on my M15HD2.

I installed the VM300. The board was no problem to install whatsoever. I kept reading and re-reading different posts concerning firmware and software updates. I was able to both successfully install the firmware and software. PC said I was successful and the readout on the display said I was at 1.28.

Last night I tried to install the AM17. First, I felt like the socket wasn't lining up quite like it should. I played with it some then thought I had it properly seated. At first the little screws and screw holes were not lining up either, but was then able to screw it in with those little tiny screws. When I plugged it into the wall, toggled the back switch on, then hit the power button, the power light flickered red and no power. I re-tried a couple of times-nothing. I then tried to switch out for the original board, and it won't line up at all to seat in the sockets. I'm not sure what has happened, but I do have a bad feeling like I have bricked the unit

I know there is the Dirac software to be installed. Does that need to be installed for this board to work properly even if I am not using Dirac initially? Is it not enough to have the 1.28 firmware installed?

Suggestions welcome!
Unless you haven't done so already I would strongly suggest you contact Bob Moran at NAD Support: SUBMIT A REQUEST

LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)
post #2333 of 2398 Old 05-21-2019, 06:40 AM

Just now, I was able to seat the original board back in there and it is back to working like normal. I am so thankful that I didn't brick it!
I guess I am not doing something properly with software/firmware. ...appreciate the help in advance!

My stuff is all used. I'm not sure that entitles me to any kind of service/support.

rynopr
post #2334 of 2398 Old 05-21-2019, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Quoted: 5239 Post(s)
Liked: 4770
Quote:
Just now, I was able to seat the original board back in there and it is back to working like normal. I am so thankful that I didn't brick it!

I guess I am not doing something properly with software/firmware. ...appreciate the help in advance!

My stuff is all used. I'm not sure that entitles me to any kind of service/support.
You must run the firmware upgrade with AM17 installed. Once you apply power the unit won't fully power up but you will be able to run the update. Only after the update fully completes will the power light illuminate again and the unit fully boot.
post #2335 of 2398 Old 05-21-2019, 10:19 AM

The same firmware that I used to upgrade the VM300 or a different firmware?

I'm sure I should just take the one at the bottom of the AM17 module page where the downloads are.

rynopr
post #2336 of 2398 Old 05-21-2019, 10:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Quoted: 5239 Post(s)
Liked: 4770
Quote:
The same firmware that I used to upgrade the VM300 or a different firmware?
Yes, if you use "VM 300 MDC - BluOS firmware 3.4.3" from https://nadelectronics.com/product/m...amp-processor/

If you use the AM17 FW
https://nadelectronics.com/product/a...ule/#downloads
then you will need to update again after it completes [but you'll be able to do so via BlueOS].

Last edited by Marc Alexander; 05-21-2019 at 10:35 PM.
post #2337 of 2398 Old 05-24-2019, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyDeg View Post
It handles Dolby Vision without issue.
Just watch out for the peculiar speaker noise issue discussed heavily in this thread. Good luck.
Before posting this question here, I emailed the NAD support. Today I got an answer. It seems to me, that the person answering doesn't really know what he is talking about. He said, it doesn't support Dolby Vision, only Dolby Digital, Digital Plus, True HD, Digital EX. Way to go to sell some products!
post #2338 of 2398 Old 05-24-2019, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Dual subwoofer utilization

What is the best way to connect dual subwoofers to a M17v2 ? Level match separately using a SPL meter before running dirac? Phase match with front R & L before (or after) Dirac? Connect one to an XLR output the other an RCA, or both to RCAs? Would there be any loss in sound quality on the RCA output? Can anyone describe the connections and process you went through?

Revel Salon 2, Studio 2, Voice 2, JL F113v2, JL CR-1, Parasound JC 1s, Bryston 28bsst2, Bryston 4bsst2, Schiit Vidars, Marantz 8802a, Ayre K5xemp, Transrotor Dark Star TT, Parasound JC3+, Oppo UDP-203, Samsung 78JS9500
post #2339 of 2398 Old 05-24-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyjammin View Post
What is the best way to connect dual subwoofers to a M17v2 ? Level match separately using a SPL meter before running dirac? Phase match with front R & L before (or after) Dirac? Connect one to an XLR output the other an RCA, or both to RCAs? Would there be any loss in sound quality on the RCA output? Can anyone describe the connections and process you went through?
The two sub connectors on the M17 have no individual control, its a parallel connection inside. So, unless you are willing to add a miniDSP 2x4, your option will be -

1. Connect both subs to the RCA sub connector using a Y cable, or connect one to RCA and other to XLR.
2. Level match the subs and speakers using a SPL meter

3. Set the distances (or delay)
4. Run Dirac.

There is no loss in audio quality with the sub connected to RCA, but using XLR connections is usually a better approach as it reduces noise and ground loop issues. I connect my subs using XLR cables.

post #2340 of 2398 Old 05-24-2019, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
The two sub connectors on the M17 have no individual control, its a parallel connection inside. So, unless you are willing to add a miniDSP 2x4, your option will be -

1. Connect both subs to the RCA sub connector using a Y cable, or connect one to RCA and other to XLR.
2. Level match the subs and speakers using a SPL meter

3. Set the distances (or delay)
4. Run Dirac.

There is no loss in audio quality with the sub connected to RCA, but using XLR connections is usually a better approach as it reduces noise and ground loop issues. I connect my subs using XLR cables.
Thanks for response. Not clear on a couple things though:
It has two sub rca outs, so shouldn’t be a need for a y connector, right? Also, why (and how) would you set distance before running dirac? Isn’t that what dirac should do? Even if you did, how would you set it? Using physical distance? That wouldn’t account for group delay...

Revel Salon 2, Studio 2, Voice 2, JL F113v2, JL CR-1, Parasound JC 1s, Bryston 28bsst2, Bryston 4bsst2, Schiit Vidars, Marantz 8802a, Ayre K5xemp, Transrotor Dark Star TT, Parasound JC3+, Oppo UDP-203, Samsung 78JS9500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page