post #2431 of 2449 Old 08-06-2019, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankmittal View Post
I agree. After working with NAD for over 2 months on this issue, I was told to use inline resistors in the XLR cables to attenuate the signal. So a firmware update couldn't have possibly fixed the issue for me, which required reduction of voltage on the XLR output.
Lucky I haven't been suggested that non-solution. Instead Bob Moran wants me to ask my dealer switch out the AM17 which could be faulty (?).

Maybe I'll just ask them to reinstall the old module if that solves the noise. That would then be the 4:th time I drag my M17 to the dealer in a 9 month period since the module updates. My patience has run out frankly

NAD M17 (processor) + NAD M27 (multichannel amp)
REVEL CONCERTA2 (5.0 speakers) + SVS SB-2000 LIMITED EDITION (dual subwoofers)
PIONEER UDP-LX500 (uhd bd player)
LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 2449 Old 08-06-2019, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyDeg View Post
Lucky I haven't been suggested that non-solution. Instead Bob Moran wants me to ask my dealer switch out the AM17 which could be faulty (?).

Maybe I'll just ask them to reinstall the old module if that solves the noise. That would then be the 4:th time I drag my M17 to the dealer in a 9 month period since the module updates. My patience has run out frankly
During my testing, I found that using a lower gain amp (in place of M27) reduced the noise considerably. The other solution that worked was to reduce the XLR voltage by using attenuator or resistors. So I think the latter solution would certainly work for you. I was within the return period, so I chose to return, but you should consider that option as a permanent solution...there is nothing to lose.

Audio: Bryston SP4 | ATI 6005 | NAD M27 (for sale)
Video: BenQ HT9060 | Stewart Cima | Custom HTPC | Sony UBP-X800M2
Speakers: B&W CM10 S2, CM Center 2 S2, 4 x DS3 | 4 x SVS SB4000
Acoustic treatment: GSK Acoustics
Furniture: Middle Atlantic RSC rack |
Seatcraft recliners | Sound Anchors
post #2433 of 2449 Old 08-06-2019, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
During my testing, I found that using a lower gain amp (in place of M27) reduced the noise considerably. The other solution that worked was to reduce the XLR voltage by using attenuator or resistors. So I think the latter solution would certainly work for you. I was within the return period, so I chose to return, but you should consider that option as a permanent solution...there is nothing to lose.
Neither would be acceptable to me.

As you may remember I had over three years of noise-free listening with my original M17, connected to the M27 amp. Then came the new modules. So why, oh why, did they suddenly introduce this phenomenon through the XLR outputs???!

Makes no sense. Nobody has been able to give me a straight answer.

LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2434 of 2449 Old 08-06-2019, 12:13 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyDeg View Post
Nobody has been able to give me a straight answer.
NAD isn't really famous for their customer support. I have a very good dealer who worked with me through the entire process and allowed me to return the unit.
I had 2 support cases with NAD on their support portal, related to the tweeter noise and HDMI handshake. All the details, discussion and recommendations were part of those cases. After I returned the unit, NAD "deleted" those case from my account and I can't even see them any more. I can still see other cases, but those two are gone. They obviously don't want people to share all that bad information about their products.

Since you can't return your unit, your only option is to accept what they are suggesting as a solution...even if you don't like it. It's a sad reality and there is nothing else you'll get from NAD.
RickyDeg likes this.

Audio: Bryston SP4 | ATI 6005 | NAD M27 (for sale)
Video: BenQ HT9060 | Stewart Cima | Custom HTPC | Sony UBP-X800M2
Speakers: B&W CM10 S2, CM Center 2 S2, 4 x DS3 | 4 x SVS SB4000
Acoustic treatment: GSK Acoustics
Furniture: Middle Atlantic RSC rack |
Seatcraft recliners | Sound Anchors
post #2435 of 2449 Old 08-07-2019, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Quoted: 5646 Post(s)
Liked: 2670
Hi guys

I got some requests for making my NAD iOS app available for more NAD models. In order to evaluate if this is feasible for the M17 V2 I'm looking for beta testers that can run some terminal commands on their Mac for me. Please send me a PM with your email address if you're interested. Thanks!
markrubin and KenM10759 like this.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #2436 of 2449 Old 08-07-2019, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
NAD isn't really famous for their customer support. I have a very good dealer who worked with me through the entire process and allowed me to return the unit.
I had 2 support cases with NAD on their support portal, related to the tweeter noise and HDMI handshake. All the details, discussion and recommendations were part of those cases. After I returned the unit, NAD "deleted" those case from my account and I can't even see them any more. I can still see other cases, but those two are gone. They obviously don't want people to share all that bad information about their products.

Since you can't return your unit, your only option is to accept what they are suggesting as a solution...even if you don't like it. It's a sad reality and there is nothing else you'll get from NAD.
I fear you are correct on this. I'm not particularly happy with the way my dealer have dealt with this either. Still waiting for a response from them about replacing the AM17 module as Bob Moran suggested.

LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)
post #2437 of 2449 Old 08-10-2019, 02:21 AM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 16
There was recently a DSP update. I really wonder why they don‘t publish a release note, what has been fixed or added
post #2438 of 2449 Old 08-10-2019, 05:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3330 Post(s)
Liked: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepardos View Post
There was recently a DSP update. I really wonder why they don‘t publish a release note, what has been fixed or added
They (NAD) do publish release notes, but because they have arguably one of the worst combination of websites I've ever seen those notes are really quite hard to find.

I went looking on the "support" website and only found notes related to the latest BluOS update. The Bluesound group is a bit better at it, but Lenbrook Group as a whole should find a person or consulting company to completely redesign the whole thing, in every way.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
post #2439 of 2449 Old 08-10-2019, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepardos View Post
As posted in this thread earlier in the week NAD released a firmware to fix a background noise issue introduced for some users with the recent module updates for V2 (the AM17 module seems to be the culprit). There are however two different types of noise issues and this firmware only fixed one of them. Sadly it didn't fix the whining noise that I, and others, have reported on extensively.

LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)
post #2440 of 2449 Old 08-10-2019, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
Hi guys

Hi markus, welcome back!

Warning: My posts might be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)
post #2441 of 2449 Old 08-10-2019, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have been having a strange problem not related to the noise issues reported by others. I have a V1 updated with the both the VM300 and AM230. I’d like to know if anyone else has seen this issue. I have 2 analog sources plugged into Source 1 and 2. When I play either of the components connected they play at full (normal) volume if either of the assigned inputs is selected. In other words I have the phono connected to source 2 and in the menu source 2 is assigned to input 1 but it plays the same whether I select input 1 or input 2. The same happens to sac I have connected to source 1.

Anybody else ever experienced this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NAD M17/M27, KEF R300 L/R, KEF R600C, Definitive BPX Surround, Definitive DI 6.5s Rear Surround, Epson 5040UB
post #2442 of 2449 Old 08-10-2019, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
They (NAD) do publish release notes, but because they have arguably one of the worst combination of websites I've ever seen those notes are really quite hard to find.

I went looking on the "support" website and only found notes related to the latest BluOS update. The Bluesound group is a bit better at it, but Lenbrook Group as a whole should find a person or consulting company to completely redesign the whole thing, in every way.
This is what I found on the internet for the v3.4.22... Doesn't provide any clarification about the hiss-fix but it did fix it indeed.

"BluOS 3.4.22
The latest BluOS software is a maintenance release with a single fix for the VM300 4K Video Module.
Software Requirements
BluOS Controller for iOS, version 3.4.4 or higher
BluOS Controller for Android and Kindle Fire, version 3.4.2 or higher.
BluOS Controller for macOS, version 3.4.7 or higher.
BluOS Controller for Windows PC, version 3.4.7 or higher.
What’s New
• Performance improvements for the VM300
Other minor software enhancements and improvements included"
post #2443 of 2449 Old 08-10-2019, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahar View Post
This is what I found on the internet for the v3.4.22... Doesn't provide any clarification about the hiss-fix but it did fix it indeed.
NAD isn't the kind of company to go public on the noise issues, including a fix.

And once again: the firmware solved only one out of two reported noise issues.

LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)
post #2444 of 2449 Old 08-14-2019, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have the opportunity to buy an M17 v1 at a heavily discounted price.
What would it take to upgrade an M17 v1 to a v2 unit?
After purchasing the necessary upgrades, would an upgraded v1 be identical to a v2?
Thanks!

--
Spoiler!
post #2445 of 2449 Old 08-14-2019, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 5335 Post(s)
Liked: 4835
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
I have the opportunity to buy an M17 v1 at a heavily discounted price.
What would it take to upgrade an M17 v1 to a v2 unit?
After purchasing the necessary upgrades, would an upgraded v1 be identical to a v2?
Thanks!
VM300 HDMI 2.0b Video Module
AM17 Audio Module
BlueOS USB Dongle
(This also applies to updating the M15HD/HD2)

The only difference being that the v2 has BlueOS functionality built in (no dongle).
SpeedDemon likes this.
post #2446 of 2449 Old 08-15-2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
VM300 HDMI 2.0b Video Module
AM17 Audio Module
BlueOS USB Dongle
(This also applies to updating the M15HD/HD2)

The only difference being that the v2 has BlueOS functionality built in (no dongle).
Is there any functional difference with the v2 unit given that it has BluOS built-in?
Does the M17 v1 firmware update exactly the same way as the v2 once it is fully upgraded?

Thanks!

--
Spoiler!
post #2447 of 2449 Old 08-15-2019, 11:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Is there any functional difference with the v2 unit given that it has BluOS built-in?
Does the M17 v1 firmware update exactly the same way as the v2 once it is fully upgraded?

Thanks!
No functional difference.
Updates are done in exactly the same way.

You can still use the BluOS Upgrade Kit if you need WiFi, but the authentication key is built-in to the V2 in contrast to an updated V1.
SpeedDemon likes this.

LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)
post #2448 of 2449 Old 08-16-2019, 03:55 AM

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:

Thanks!
Hi - I had both the M17v1 and the M17v2 and the only difference I could notice was the lack of dongle required on the v2 - in fact you couldn't tell them apart. I think you would need to dismantle the units to see if they are components under the hood that are different between the two. I had some issues with the v2 that I understand have now been fixed but in that period I swapped to a T777v3 - George
SpeedDemon likes this.

LG C9 | NAD T777v3 | NAD M25 | Monitor Audio Platinum PL100 II | Monitor Audio Platinum PLC150 II | 6 Monitor Gold GXFX | JL Audio F212v2 | Virgin v6 | Pioneer LX 500 4k Blu-Ray | Apple TV 4k | Linn Sondek LP12
post #2449 of 2449 Old Yesterday, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrossen View Post
Hi - I had both the M17v1 and the M17v2 and the only difference I could notice was the lack of dongle required on the v2 - in fact you couldn't tell them apart. I think you would need to dismantle the units to see if they are components under the hood that are different between the two. I had some issues with the v2 that I understand have now been fixed but in that period I swapped to a T777v3 - George
I upgraded the M17 V1 to a V2 and it was a breeze...

Just swapped out the video and audio modules with updated boards and inserted the WiFi chip directly into the USB port - I personally have zero use for Bluetooth and didn’t want the hub hanging off the back. Hardest part was installing the firmware updates through the RS232 port.

So far, I haven’t had any issues with the M17. I was expecting to possibly run into some HDMI issues that I’ve read about in this thread but it’s all been perfect.

The only weird issue so far was needing to convert the Atmos mini-XLR ports to RCA since the amp I use for my Atmos channels isn’t balanced. I was incorrectly assuming I’d be able to reassign the outputs for those Atmos channels to the RCA pre-outs.

I also had to pull my miniDSP HD out and use it for my subs. It’s been a while since I’ve used a pre/pro that didn’t automatically room correct dual subs.

Incredibly happy so far. The sound quality of this pre/pro is so much better than my previous Denon/Marantz & Onkyo/Integra models that I can’t understand how the other guys are doing it so poorly and/or how NAD is doing it so well. Either way, glad I ended up here.
RickyDeg, KenM10759 and ggrossen like this.

--
Spoiler!

Last edited by SpeedDemon; Today at 08:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page