The 'Official' 2014 Denon "S Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 106 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4844Likes

post #3151 of 5125 Old 04-26-2015, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 701 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21994 Post(s)
Liked: 11927
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilnh View Post
Does anyone know what kind of DAC Denon receivers use?. Yamaha on their website state that their lower end receivers use Burr-Brown DAC's while their higher end Avantage series use ESS Sabre DAC's. I haven't been able to find any such info about Denon's on their website.
Denon AVRs use TI PCM and AKM DACs depending on the model, however, the choice of DAC has much less to do with the audio quality as do other factors of the AVR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 5125 Old 04-26-2015, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Display not on

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
Try pressing the MOVIE button and selecting a surround mode.

I have done that before as I've used the "direct" settings then back to movie setting. I had dropped my remote and in retrieving it thought I had pressed an errant button. So thought the sound modes had been pressed as the display had gone off.

I couldn't find anything in the manual/guide about this except the sound mode buttons.

Dave
post #3153 of 5125 Old 04-26-2015, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3154 of 5125 Old 04-26-2015, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmfgh11 View Post
Bluetooth is working from iPad to avr after pressing Bluetooth on remote control. My question is what should be displaying on the tv screen?? Mine says, The resolution is not supported Please change the resolution.
Anyone ??
post #3155 of 5125 Old 04-26-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonesomedave View Post
I have done that before as I've used the "direct" settings then back to movie setting. I had dropped my remote and in retrieving it thought I had pressed an errant button. So thought the sound modes had been pressed as the display had gone off.

I couldn't find anything in the manual/guide about this except the sound mode buttons.

Dave
The only reason the front panel display will go dark is if PURE surround mode is selected or the Front Display setting is set to OFF.
post #3156 of 5125 Old 04-26-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmfgh11 View Post
Bluetooth is working from iPad to avr after pressing Bluetooth on remote control. My question is what should be displaying on the tv screen?? Mine says, The resolution is not supported Please change the resolution.
The Networking (Bluetooth) screen should display showing the name of the paired device and, when playing, the title of the song playing. In fact, there is a picture listed on p. 66 in your X2100W Owner's manual. Try doing a soft reset of your unit by unplugging the power cord for 10 minutes.
post #3157 of 5125 Old 04-28-2015, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Had an interesting occurrence on my AVR-X1100W yesterday, was using airplay from Windows 7 HTPC to Receiver (zones 1&2), after about 3 hrs completely dropped out. When I attempted to restore the airplay the receiver would display "connecting" then stop sending a video signal then went to the "Favorites" menu on the tv screen. The receiver was also acting very funny in regards to network connectivity as the Denon Remote app was not working well and dropping out quite a bit. After resetting my router and restarting PC, I actually had to factory reset then restore from my Config.dat file - after which began to work flawlessly.

Anyone else had similar issues with airplay after long durations? I love the airplay but seems to be hit or miss. Like if you stop a song or switch a playlist sometimes it will drop the connection. Seems like might be a software issue or apple handshake issue.
post #3158 of 5125 Old 04-28-2015, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have had my S700W for a year without issues. Now today when I turned it on, the front display does not work. My dimmer is set to dim and the pure button doesn't change a thing. Otherwise it functions normally and operates normally but the display does not work. Anybody else have this issue? I have googled already too, and found that there was a service bulletin about this?

Last edited by Keith Lashinski; 04-28-2015 at 06:39 PM.
post #3159 of 5125 Old 04-29-2015, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Lashinski View Post
I have had my S700W for a year without issues. Now today when I turned it on, the front display does not work. My dimmer is set to dim and the pure button doesn't change a thing. Otherwise it functions normally and operates normally but the display does not work. Anybody else have this issue? I have googled already too, and found that there was a service bulletin about this?
I cover this issue in item 14 of post ##4 of this thread. Repair is required.
post #3160 of 5125 Old 04-29-2015, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 105
DirecTV will not output to Zone 2 TV

I have a X3100 and have been trying to get my DirecTV HD receiver to output to Zone 2 to no avail. It works flawlessly to my Zone 1 TV.

All other sources (PS3 and HTPC) output to Zone 2 with no issues.

With everything in standby, I turn equipment on in the following order:

1. Zone 2 TV
2. Receiver Zone 2 TV/SAT as source
3. Turn on DirecTV

Nothing on the Zone 2 TV. Now, if I physically unplug the DirecTV receiver and plug it back in, I do get a picture on the Zone 2 TV showing the initial boot up sequence, including fetching the channel guide. But as soon as it is done booting and where it would begin showing actual program content, the screen goes dark. So is this some HDCP thing with the DirectTV receiver that is not allowing it to send content to the Zone 2 TV?

If I turn on Zone 1 TV and switch the source here to TV/SAT, I get DirecTV picture and sound right away. If I now go to Zone 2 and switch to a different source and back to TV/SAT, I get a picture sometimes, but not consistently and never sound.

Anyone been able to get DirecTV to display properly to a TV hooked up to Zone 2?

I should mention that my Zone 2 Display has no built in sound, so I'm using the Analog Zone 2 out to feed audio to zone 2 and using the Denon's ability to extract the audio from the HDMI signal, convert it to PCM and output a 2 channel mix down to the Zone 2 out. This is working just fine for my PS3 and HTPC sources, so I don't think that is adding a wrinkle, but how knows. Also, my zone 1 display is 4k and my zone 2 display is 1080p.

Last edited by pclausen; 04-29-2015 at 07:47 AM.
post #3161 of 5125 Old 04-29-2015, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by anwallac View Post
Had an interesting occurrence on my AVR-X1100W yesterday, was using airplay from Windows 7 HTPC to Receiver (zones 1&2), after about 3 hrs completely dropped out. When I attempted to restore the airplay the receiver would display "connecting" then stop sending a video signal then went to the "Favorites" menu on the tv screen. The receiver was also acting very funny in regards to network connectivity as the Denon Remote app was not working well and dropping out quite a bit. After resetting my router and restarting PC, I actually had to factory reset then restore from my Config.dat file - after which began to work flawlessly.

Anyone else had similar issues with airplay after long durations? I love the airplay but seems to be hit or miss. Like if you stop a song or switch a playlist sometimes it will drop the connection. Seems like might be a software issue or apple handshake issue.
I've a 2100 and though I do not use Airplay, I have from time to time had to reset my network because of loss of connection with the DENON. I've probably about 20 plus devices on my home network, mostly wired, invariably the DENON is always the last to be recognized once the router is reset, often requiring more than one cycle to get a valid connection (I can quickly check this via "FING" on my Android phone).

It does seem to me that the DENON networking leaves a bit to be desired, though not a deal breaker.

td
post #3162 of 5125 Old 04-29-2015, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sorry, I have a 3100, not a 4100. Typo on my part. Corrected my previous post to reflect that.
post #3163 of 5125 Old 04-29-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclausen View Post
I have a X3100 and have been trying to get my DirecTV HD receiver to output to Zone 2 to no avail. It works flawlessly to my Zone 1 TV.

All other sources (PS3 and HTPC) output to Zone 2 with no issues.

With everything in standby, I turn equipment on in the following order:

1. Zone 2 TV
2. Receiver Zone 2 TV/SAT as source
3. Turn on DirecTV

Nothing on the Zone 2 TV. Now, if I physically unplug the DirecTV receiver and plug it back in, I do get a picture on the Zone 2 TV showing the initial boot up sequence, including fetching the channel guide. But as soon as it is done booting and where it would begin showing actual program content, the screen goes dark. So is this some HDCP thing with the DirectTV receiver that is not allowing it to send content to the Zone 2 TV?

If I turn on Zone 1 TV and switch the source here to TV/SAT, I get DirecTV picture and sound right away. If I now go to Zone 2 and switch to a different source and back to TV/SAT, I get a picture sometimes, but not consistently and never sound.

Anyone been able to get DirecTV to display properly to a TV hooked up to Zone 2?

I should mention that my Zone 2 Display has no built in sound, so I'm using the Analog Zone 2 out to feed audio to zone 2 and using the Denon's ability to extract the audio from the HDMI signal, convert it to PCM and output a 2 channel mix down to the Zone 2 out. This is working just fine for my PS3 and HTPC sources, so I don't think that is adding a wrinkle, but how knows. Also, my zone 1 display is 4k and my zone 2 display is 1080p.
Most likely an HDMI handshake issue. Will it display to Zone 2 TV when not selected as the Zone 1 source as well? I have two 1080p TVs and my DirecTV Genie can display to Zone 2 without issue. Although using the generally suggested power on sequence, try experimenting with other power on sequences.
post #3164 of 5125 Old 04-29-2015, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Firmware update issues on X3100W.

I just got a new AVR-X3100W yesterday. Set up the receiver and could not connect to the servers for a firmware upgrade. The receiver showed the "Connection Failed" error. I tried logging into the web portal of the receiver and doing the update from there, but same issue.

I called Denon customer support and the guy very quickly knew the issue and set me up for a call back with one of their techs. The call hasn't happened yet, but during the call back they are supposed to assist me with performing a USB firmware update on the receiver. Not sure what happened, but some change on their upgrade servers broke the internet upgrades on these units. Will post updates as I learn them...

Last edited by hd54321; 04-29-2015 at 11:32 AM.
post #3165 of 5125 Old 04-29-2015, 11:43 AM

^^
The D&M servers have been down for the past 2 weeks. Denon currently only provides USB updates on their website for the S700W and S900W so I'll be surprised if a CSR is able to provide one for the X3100W.

Also, for anyone interested in the X3100W, we still have 2 available which also come with a free Denon HEOS Link (MSRP $349). Call for more information.
post #3166 of 5125 Old 04-29-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd54321 View Post
Firmware update issues on X3100W.

I just got a new AVR-X3100W yesterday. Set up the receiver and could not connect to the servers for a firmware upgrade. The receiver showed the "Connection Failed" error. I tried logging into the web portal of the receiver and doing the update from there, but same issue.

I called Denon customer support and the guy very quickly knew the issue and set me up for a call back with one of their techs. The call hasn't happened yet, but during the call back they are supposed to assist me with performing a USB firmware update on the receiver. Not sure what happened, but some change on their upgrade servers broke the internet upgrades on these units. Will post updates as I learn them...
Quote:
^^
The D&M servers have been down for the past 2 weeks. Denon currently only provides USB updates on their website for the S700W and S900W so I'll be surprised if a CSR is able to provide one for the X3100W.

I got a call frpom a Denon tech about 3 hours after I placed my original call. They emailed me a link to a firmware update for my X3100W dated April 7, 2015. Applying the update now via a USB drive.
post #3167 of 5125 Old 04-29-2015, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
I got a call frpom a Denon tech about 3 hours after I placed my original call. They emailed me a link to a firmware update for my X3100W dated April 7, 2015. Applying the update now via a USB drive.
Interesting -- since the only "normal" way to update the X3100W (based on a quick read of the manual since I have an X2100W) is via the network, it would appear there is, in fact, a back door way via USB. How did they instruct you to use the file?
post #3168 of 5125 Old 04-29-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL99 View Post
Interesting -- since the only "normal" way to update the X3100W (based on a quick read of the manual since I have an X2100W) is via the network, it would appear there is, in fact, a back door way via USB. How did they instruct you to use the file?
1) Prepare/format a FAT32 USB drive (needs to be >=2gb)
2) Copy "firmwares" folder from zipped firmware file onto USB drive
3) Unplug receiver
4) Insert USB drive into front USB port
5) Press and hold "Tuner Ch -" and "Status" buttons on front panel while plugging in receiver
6) While holding both buttons and after plugging in unit, the front panel display should show something like "USB Update...."
7) Release buttons when front panel display changes to "Main:..." (I don't remember the exact text, but the text on the panel changes from "USB Update..." to something else and then you let go of the buttons)

The update process took 38 minutes.

Last edited by hd54321; 04-29-2015 at 07:59 PM.
post #3169 of 5125 Old 04-30-2015, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Most likely an HDMI handshake issue. Will it display to Zone 2 TV when not selected as the Zone 1 source as well? I have two 1080p TVs and my DirecTV Genie can display to Zone 2 without issue. Although using the generally suggested power on sequence, try experimenting with other power on sequences.
So what I have to do in order to watch DirecTV in Zone 2 is the following:

1. Turn on Zone 1 TV
2. Turn on Denon Zone 1 to TV/SAT
3. Turn on DirecTV receiver (most of the time it will already be on or in standby)
4. Turn on Zone 2 TV
5. Turn on Zone 2 on Denon and select TV/SAT soure
6. I now have DirecTV picture and sound in both zones
7. Turn off Zone 1 TV

This is a complete pain and none of my other source require this workaround. I can watch any of those sources in Zone 2 without having to fiddle with anything in Zone 1, let alone having to turn the Zone 1 TV on.

Oh well, I guess it must be that DirecTV's HDMI handshake/HDCP requirements are more strict than PS3 and HTPC.
post #3170 of 5125 Old 04-30-2015, 06:22 AM

^^
Cable/Sat boxes are generally not HDCP certified which is why there are often problems with them when connecting to an AVR instead of directly to the TV. Also note, it may be easier for you to use a Harmony remote which could likely be programmed to do that entire sequence with only one or two button presses.
post #3171 of 5125 Old 04-30-2015, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi
Can any one inform latest firmware version on x2100w
post #3172 of 5125 Old 04-30-2015, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
1) Prepare/format a FAT32 USB drive (needs to be >=2gb)
2) Copy "firmwares" folder from zipped firmware file onto USB drive
3) Unplug receiver
4) Insert USB drive into front USB port
5) Press and hold "Tuner Ch -" and "Status" buttons on front panel while plugging in receiver
6) While holding both buttons and after plugging in unit, the front panel display should show something like "USB Update...."
7) Release buttons when front panel display changes to "Main:..." (I don't remember the exact text, but the text on the panel changes from "USB Update..." to something else and then you let go of the buttons)

The update process took 38 minutes.
Thanks for posting this process.
post #3173 of 5125 Old 04-30-2015, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminimehta View Post
Hi
Can any one inform latest firmware version on x2100w
I show Version 3600-5461-6685. The Denon servers must be down (again, still, whatever) since checking for updates fails.
post #3174 of 5125 Old 04-30-2015, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am having difficulty with spotify. The icon does not appear in the menu like pandora and flickr. Is that because you cannot connect to spotify via the avr and are required to use a smart phone?
post #3175 of 5125 Old 04-30-2015, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMak00 View Post
I am having difficulty with spotify. The icon does not appear in the menu like pandora and flickr. Is that because you cannot connect to spotify via the avr and are required to use a smart phone?
Yes. For example, see page 103 of the X2100W owner's manual. The Spotify servers stream to the AVR and you control the stream with the app (unlike Pandora where the app is resident on the AVR). You must have Spotify Premium service for this function. Check your AVR model's manual.

Spotify App <--> Control Function <--> Spotify Server <--> Audio Streaming and Control <--> AVR. It's like a web-based DLNA function: the app is the controller, the content is streamed from the server, and rendered on the AVR.

Last edited by PJL99; 04-30-2015 at 06:36 PM.
post #3176 of 5125 Old 04-30-2015, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Yes. For example, see page 103 of the X2100W owner's manual. The Spotify servers stream to the AVR and you control the stream with the app (unlike Pandora where the app is resident on the AVR). You must have Spotify Premium service for this function. Check your AVR model's manual.

Spotify App <--> Control Function <--> Spotify Server <--> Audio Streaming and Control <--> AVR. It's like a web-based DLNA function: the app is the controller, the content is streamed from the server, and rendered on the AVR.
What a drag. Love how Denon advertises spotify service but you have to subscribe and pay for premium to use it. What a shame.

So do I have to subscribe to the premium spotify service in order to see my Denon avr in the spotify app on my phone?

Forget it...too much hassle paying for this nonsense.

Last edited by JMak00; 04-30-2015 at 07:28 PM.
post #3177 of 5125 Old 04-30-2015, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 4661 Post(s)
Liked: 4846
It's not Denons fault. Spotify requires a premium subscription to stream to any "Spotify connect" device or media player. If you want to try it for free and you have an iDevice you can use the free app and then stream over AirPlay.

Spotify Connect is a really cool interface too, much slicker than a built in app. But even the built in Spotify interface on other models would require the premium subscription.

Last edited by batpig; 04-30-2015 at 11:11 PM.
post #3178 of 5125 Old 05-01-2015, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMak00 View Post
What a drag. Love how Denon advertises spotify service but you have to subscribe and pay for premium to use it. What a shame.

So do I have to subscribe to the premium spotify service in order to see my Denon avr in the spotify app on my phone?

Forget it...too much hassle paying for this nonsense.
"batpig's" comments are accurate (in my opinion). The Spotify label on the front of the AVR (present, at least, on my X2100W) and the inclusion in the Owner's Manual with no internal app is simply marketing Spotify and likely means Spotify paid Denon to have that label on the unit and include the information in the manual. And it allows Denon to market "Spotify" as part of it's AVR and catch the Spotify consumer's attention when they're shopping for an AVR.

As mentioned, the manual is explicit that a Spotify Connect subscription is required to use Spotify in conjunction with the AVR. If you read it the entire description of the "Spotify Connect Function" is totally generic. It says:

"Spotify is the world’s most popular streaming service. If you subscribe to
Spotify Premium, you can control your new speaker with your phone or
tablet. Because Spotify is built-in to your speaker, you can still take calls or
use other apps - the music never stops.
To try Spotify Premium free for 30 days, or learn more about Connect,
please go to www.spotify.com/connect..."

"Your new speaker?" Really? I think these are AVRs, not speakers. So this was likely a generic marketing blurb prepared by Spotify for inclusion by Denon in their manual, or the Denon author of the words doesn't understand what they're saying and/or is not a technical writer. I think it is the former. The Spotify Connect function section, except for the diagram, is about the most "non-technical" in the entire manual. Even the "Playing Spotify music with this unit" section is totally generic.

Last edited by PJL99; 05-01-2015 at 10:28 AM.
post #3179 of 5125 Old 05-02-2015, 03:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I show Version 3600-5461-6685. The Denon servers must be down (again, still, whatever) since checking for updates fails.
Ok thanks
I can see one AVR is a 3600-5461-6660

Not able to connect to Denon server.
Keek getting message " connection fail"
post #3180 of 5125 Old 05-02-2015, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminimehta View Post
Ok thanks
I can see one AVR is a 3600-5461-6660

Not able to connect to Denon server.
Keek getting message " connection fail"
Denon's update servers appear to be offline. I've tried to check for a new update a number of times and I get the same error. This may be related to the last update that hosed/bricked some devices. They may have turned the service off until they get a fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
buzz , buzzing , Denon , denon s500bt , hum , humming , X1100W , X2100W , x3100w , X4100W

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page