The 'Official' 2014 Denon "S Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 120 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4847Likes

post #3571 of 5180 Old 07-19-2015, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojita View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Clean power ... no .... Audyssey .... yes, although will also depend on the quality of your speaker setup, as if you can use the savings purchasing the X3100W to upgrade your speakers or purchase a 2nd sub, that would likely be the better option.
I guess I don't know if the power will make a difference or not in my apartment. I just want great sounding sound. Also the other reason for getting another AVR was that I was sick of the lack of hdmi ports and inability to passthrough 3D content.

My current setup

1x Energy RC-LCR
2x Energy RC-70's
2x Energy RC-50's (I just got the RC-70's and these will be moved to the surrounds)
2x Energy RC-10's (Not sure what I'm going to do with them. My place doesn't seem conducive to 7.1)
1x Klipsch 12" Synergy Subwoofer

Getting another sub would probably piss off my neighbors, so I think that is a no go.
The RC10s would be a good fit for front heights, if that's feasible, and jd has a good point on the sub: a second will allow better coverage throughout the room and even at the MLP

Last edited by dkfan9; 07-19-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3572 of 5180 Old 07-19-2015, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quoted: 5213 Post(s)
Liked: 6021
Ironically the second sub may actually help with the neighbors -- as others point out a second sub will smooth out modal peaks and dips and be bass will probably less boomy. After calibration the volume will be the same as JD pointed out.
post #3573 of 5180 Old 07-19-2015, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi everyone I'm having a problem with my X1100W that I can't seem to troubleshoot on my own. If anyone could help I would be very grateful.

Anyways I went to try and listen to Pandora a few times in the past week or so and I'm getting no sound. Network is good with a strong connection, I get sound when i'm watching TV or gaming on the PS4, Watching a Blu Ray etc.... Everything seems to be working just fine other than I'm getting no audio when trying to use Pandora.

Oh also firmware is all up to date as well.

Thanks

AVR - Denon AVR-X1100W
BD - Sony BDP-S6200
Mains - RBH R5Bi
Center - RBH R5Ci
Sub - Outlaw Audio Ultra X-12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3574 of 5180 Old 07-19-2015, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 849 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24564 Post(s)
Liked: 13789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfielder View Post
Hi everyone I'm having a problem with my X1100W that I can't seem to troubleshoot on my own. If anyone could help I would be very grateful.

Anyways I went to try and listen to Pandora a few times in the past week or so and I'm getting no sound. Network is good with a strong connection, I get sound when i'm watching TV or gaming on the PS4, Watching a Blu Ray etc.... Everything seems to be working just fine other than I'm getting no audio when trying to use Pandora.

Oh also firmware is all up to date as well.

Thanks
Do you have a wired or wireless connection to the router? Have you tried rebooting the router? Is it just Pandora that is having issues? Can you play internet radio stations? What service provider are you using? What does Internet Diagnostics show?
post #3575 of 5180 Old 07-19-2015, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Do you have a wired or wireless connection to the router? Have you tried rebooting the router? Is it just Pandora that is having issues? Can you play internet radio stations? What service provider are you using? What does Internet Diagnostics show?
It's wireless. I have tried rebooting, also got a new router yesterday, but was having these same issues while the old router was hooked up. It used to work fine though cuz I do use the Pandora feature quite often. I just checked and the other internet radio stations aren't working either so it apparently isn't just a Pandora issue. I have ATT Uverse. I haven't done any Diagnostics tests. Internet is working fine everything else though. Computer phone netflix.

Thanks for the quick response.

AVR - Denon AVR-X1100W
BD - Sony BDP-S6200
Mains - RBH R5Bi
Center - RBH R5Ci
Sub - Outlaw Audio Ultra X-12
post #3576 of 5180 Old 07-20-2015, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 24
How much of a difference is the Audyssey in the x3100 model and the X32 in the x4100? I'm not sure if the x4100 was on sale again if I would get that instead of the x3100. It was a $300 difference.

Quote:
No power difference using either model. Adding a second sub isn't necessarily about being more loud, rather about covering any nulls in the seating area due to the placement of a single sub.
Would I be advised in getting the same exact subwoofer make and model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfan9 View Post
The RC10s would be a good fit for front heights, if that's feasible, and jd has a good point on the sub: a second will allow better coverage throughout the room and even at the MLP
I don't know if I could do hanging speakers. The apartment I live in has kind of a strict lease. At the very least I'd have to cover up any holes that are made before I move out. Those RC-10's are pretty heavy so I wonder what kind of equipment I could get to hang them. It's the main reason I knew I couldn't do Atmos either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Ironically the second sub may actually help with the neighbors -- as others point out a second sub will smooth out modal peaks and dips and be bass will probably less boomy. After calibration the volume will be the same as JD pointed out.
That's neat. I'll look into it.
post #3577 of 5180 Old 07-20-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
How much of a difference is the Audyssey in the x3100 model and the X32 in the x4100? I'm not sure if the x4100 was on sale again if I would get that instead of the x3100. It was a $300 difference.

Would I be advised in getting the same exact subwoofer make and model?
Yes. However, if you have some flexibility on where to place the existing sub, do a subwoofer crawl (see post 3 below) and see if relocating your current sub does a better job before purchasing a 2nd sub.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...ad-faq.html#k7
post #3578 of 5180 Old 07-20-2015, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I just noticed an update available for my AVR-S-900W. i would update via wifi. Any known issues before I take the plunge?

Jamese777
Perpetual Newbie
post #3579 of 5180 Old 07-22-2015, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just got a Denon AVR X1100W open box and am not getting any video or audio at all on any HDMI input. Reset the microprocessor and left it unplugged for a while. The odd thing is that the box is definitely detecting the TV since it will turn off if I turn the TV off, or it will switch to that input if the box is already on and on a different device (say, Media Player) and then I turn the TV on. Verified the HDMI cable attaching the AVR to the TV is good. Also not getting any audio on the tuner. Again, it's open box refurbished. Anything else I'm overlooking before I send it back?
post #3580 of 5180 Old 07-22-2015, 08:17 PM

I hooked the x3100 up. Did video calibration. Everything worked fine.

Then I go to use my first device through HDMI. Seemed fine for 5 seconds than it flickered black, had some artifacts on the screen, then flickered black again and came back again. This continues over and over several times a minute. I thought maybe the 1 input was bad on the receiver, so I tried another one. The same thing.

I've tried numerous outputs and HDMI Cables. Nothing works

Edit: So the device I was testing earlier was a Mac Mini. Plugging in a PS4, and after a couple of handshakes (More than my old Pioneer had) the PS4 menu came up without any flickering.

Using the exact same cable scheme in the Mac Mini still results in black flickering, artifacts, and now green and purple flickering at times. Is there a known problem between Denon and Mac Mini's? I've had this thing for 5 years, used it without any problems, actually used it like 30 minutes before on the old receiver with no problem. I won't be able to keep this receiver if I can't use it.

Edit 2: Just to cover all bases, I tried all of the outputs. None worked. All flickered several times a minute.

Last edited by Trojita; 07-22-2015 at 10:05 PM.
post #3581 of 5180 Old 07-23-2015, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikkbomb View Post
I just got a Denon AVR X1100W open box and am not getting any video or audio at all on any HDMI input. Reset the microprocessor and left it unplugged for a while. The odd thing is that the box is definitely detecting the TV since it will turn off if I turn the TV off, or it will switch to that input if the box is already on and on a different device (say, Media Player) and then I turn the TV on. Verified the HDMI cable attaching the AVR to the TV is good. Also not getting any audio on the tuner. Again, it's open box refurbished. Anything else I'm overlooking before I send it back?
If after doing a few microprocessor resets doesn't bring it back to life, then return it.
post #3582 of 5180 Old 07-23-2015, 09:11 AM

Hmm I'm not sure what to do right now to fix my problem.

Oddly enough the Mac Mini doesn't flicker during boot up. I'm guessing that the Mac Mini is sending an EDID signal once fully loaded that the Denon either doesn't like or is incapable of syncing at a constant rate. Like mentioned, I've used the same Mac Mini with 3 different tv makes and another receiver (the same day as the setup with the new AVR) without any problems.

I'm guessing my only options, if I don't find another solution, are to

1. Return the Denon and hope that if I order another newer denon model that is more compatible with EDID signals
2. Buy another receiver from another company. (I'd rather stay with Audyssey, but if that is impossible I guess I can't do anything about it)
3. Buy a Dr. HDMI or HDMI Detective for $100-140 and have it always connected inbetween the devices to see if that fixes my problem
post #3583 of 5180 Old 07-23-2015, 10:29 AM

^^
Have you followed the HTPC tips I provide in my post 3 of this thread?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-faq.html#l12
post #3584 of 5180 Old 07-23-2015, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So @jdsmoothie

120 page thread...kudos

over all thoughts on the differences between the 1605/6 and the 2100 series? Im using it in an 18x 18 room and bookshelf speakers

Im only using it primarily for tv use only

Thanks

Last edited by redrovermiami; 07-23-2015 at 10:59 AM.
post #3585 of 5180 Old 07-23-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrovermiami View Post
So @jdsmoothie

120 page thread...cudos

over all thoughts on the differences between the 1605/6 and the 2100 series? Im using it in an 18x 18 room and bookshelf speakers

Im only using it primarily for tv use only

Thanks
The Marantz models use the lower version of Audyssey MultEQ (vice XT on the X2100W) and also put out only 50W (vice 95W on the X2100W), although should be sufficient for average volume levels; however, do feature 2.1 main zone pre-outs should one need to provide additional amplification to the FL/FR speakers. Boils down to the features you want and whether you need a "slim-line" model or not.
post #3586 of 5180 Old 07-23-2015, 11:14 AM

@jdsmoothie

Thanks

I ended up with a 2100 I was also looking at the 5009 marantz

one thing I noticed is when I was tinkering with it the volume was about 1/3 and was sufficient for late night tv

I went to get the airplay to connect via airplay and BT and it was working albeit the airplay was cutting in and out at times.

I also noticed that the volume control when I went back to the tv the same volume of sound I had to increase the volume level to about 50%

Seems odd but Im assuming the receiver made some kind of computerized adjustment to the sound volume?
post #3587 of 5180 Old 07-23-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
^^
Have you followed the HTPC tips I provide in my post 3 of this thread?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-faq.html#l12
Thanks! I actually looked at that last night to which led me to try using all the outputs. It was pretty late so I was skimming through stuff. I'll try the rest including trying a 15' Redmere cable that I use primarily for PC Output. It will have to wait until I get home tonight

The EDID Overrides listed won't work, because I have a Mac Mini with Intel Graphics.

The one HDMI input that I couldn't get to work last night was the CD one, which is the closest to the outputs.

Does the main output have to use the Monitor ARC one? I'm guessing so, but just wanted to be sure since the HDMI Inputs are all closer to the Zone 2 than the Monitor ARC.

If I have to resort to a EDID fixer device, do you guys recommend the Gefen HDMI Detective or the Dr. HDMI?

Last edited by Trojita; 07-23-2015 at 11:30 AM.
post #3588 of 5180 Old 07-23-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrovermiami View Post
@jdsmoothie

Thanks

I ended up with a 2100 I was also looking at the 5009 marantz

one thing I noticed is when I was tinkering with it the volume was about 1/3 and was sufficient for late night tv

I went to get the airplay to connect via airplay and BT and it was working albeit the airplay was cutting in and out at times.

I also noticed that the volume control when I went back to the tv the same volume of sound I had to increase the volume level to about 50%

Seems odd but Im assuming the receiver made some kind of computerized adjustment to the sound volume?
Volume levels may be different between sources with average cable/sat viewing at 40-60% and movie viewing 50-70%. There is a Setup - Inputs - Source Level setting that can be adjusted for each source if you want to normalize the volume levels of all sources.
post #3589 of 5180 Old 07-23-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Thanks! I actually looked at that last night to which led me to try using all the outputs. It was pretty late so I was skimming through stuff. I'll try the rest including trying a 15' Redmere cable that I use primarily for PC Output. It will have to wait until I get home tonight

The EDID Overrides listed won't work, because I have a Mac Mini with Intel Graphics.

The one HDMI input that I couldn't get to work last night was the CD one, which is the closest to the outputs.

Does the main output have to use the Monitor ARC one? I'm guessing so, but just wanted to be sure since the HDMI Inputs are all closer to the Zone 2 than the Monitor ARC.

If I have to resort to a EDID fixer device, do you guys recommend the Gefen HDMI Detective or the Dr. HDMI?
1. Not necessarily, but if you want to use ARC, yes.
2. Either is likely a good choice.
post #3590 of 5180 Old 07-23-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Volume levels may be different between sources with average cable/sat viewing at 40-60% and movie viewing 50-70%. There is a Setup - Inputs - Source Level setting that can be adjusted for each source if you want to normalize the volume levels of all sources.
Thanks

Lots of reading today..I feel like I made a good choice with the 2100 over the marantz 5009. Saved some money for virtually the same thing.
post #3591 of 5180 Old 07-23-2015, 05:19 PM

The mystery continues!

The long 15' Redmere HDMI Cable did not work.

Moving the output from Monitor Arc to Zone 2 output works. No flickering.

I don't know where to go from here. Is the Monitor Arc slightly broken to not allow all kinds of EDID? Is there a feature enabled in that mode, that isn't enabled in Zone 2, that I can disable? Should I try and get a replacement?
post #3592 of 5180 Old 07-24-2015, 08:02 AM

Too bad as far as I can tell I can't operate my 5.1 stuff through the zone 2.

I'm thinking of a different option. Getting a new Mac Mini or Windows based HTPC and seeing if that works. It would be worth doing that more than paying $100+ for one of those HDMI fixers.

I tried some more and the Main Arc didn't work.
post #3593 of 5180 Old 07-25-2015, 01:32 AM

New DeRemote Watch app

For those of you familiar with the DeRemote iOS app as an alternative to the Denon remote app, the author has now developed an Apple Watch version ....

DeRemote Watch
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dere...ign-mpt=uo%3D4

DeRemote
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dere...335047892?mt=8
post #3594 of 5180 Old 07-25-2015, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just got the X1100W, although I can't seem to get it to play nice. It might be broken. Just FYI it is a Demo model I got from the store, although it has full warranty.

I have a Philips 49PUS7909 TV which is connected through HDMI via the Monitor ARC connector. Sound plays fine the first 30 seconds or so, then it starts cutting out every 5-10 seconds. If I try pausing or switching to a YouTube video, most of the time the X1100W just stops playing anything.

Looking at the display the PCM indicator flickers when the sound cuts out and disappears eventually.

I also tried playing sound through bluetooth on my Nexus 5 to the X1100W. There it is almost the same story. Plays fine to begin with, then it starts cutting out and eventually it just stops playing entirely.

If I try playing something using the FM Tuner, it plays for 2-3 seconds then stops. A little while later it starts playing again and then stops again, then it is dead until I change channel or input.

I have tried resetting the receiver pressing the two leftmost buttons under the display. The first time I did that it showed me the Setup Guide which immediately turned black. Later I tried resetting the receiver 5-6 times in a row and I could get through the setup guide. However, the audio issues persist.

If I check if there is any firmware update on the receiver it tells me that it has the newest.

Any ideas before I return it?
post #3595 of 5180 Old 07-25-2015, 01:04 PM

^^
Nope. Exchange it for a new unit.
post #3596 of 5180 Old 07-27-2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:
For those of you familiar with the DeRemote iOS app as an alternative to the Denon remote app, the author has now developed an Apple Watch version ....

DeRemote Watch
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dere...ign-mpt=uo%3D4

DeRemote
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dere...335047892?mt=8
Wow 5 bucks for that app what makes it worth 5 bucks more than the free Denon app?
post #3597 of 5180 Old 07-27-2015, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Ever heard the expression "you get what you pay for?"

The Denon app is mediocre. Fine for basic control but the user interface is clunky and there is zero control of advanced options and settings.
post #3598 of 5180 Old 07-27-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Ever heard the expression "you get what you pay for?"

The Denon app is mediocre. Fine for basic control but the user interface is clunky and there is zero control of advanced options and settings.
LOL Yeah

Was just curious...you prefer the app over the actual remote?
post #3599 of 5180 Old 07-27-2015, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

App vs remote is about what's better for the task. If I'm watching a move and want to change the volume it's much more convenient to pick up a remote. If I'm walking around the house and I want to turn on a different zone or something my phone is nearby.

I would say generally it's my phone app for any music streaming but a normal remote if I'm actually sitting down and watching something.
redrovermiami likes this.
post #3600 of 5180 Old 07-27-2015, 10:43 AM

Pandora not able to streamed from AVR

Note that as of Sunday, Pandora can no longer be streamed from the AVR as Pandora changed something. D+M engineers are working on a firmware update to resolve the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
32D6510. , buzz , buzzing , Denon , denon s500bt , hum , humming , X1100W , X2100W , x3100w , X4100W

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page