The 'Official' 2014 Denon "S Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 142 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4845Likes

post #4231 of 5134 Old 02-08-2016, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 743 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22615 Post(s)
Liked: 12308
Quote:
Originally Posted by wambo View Post
Looking for some advice or insight...

I recently purchased the x5200w and I feel like I really have to crank the volume level a lot higher than my previous AVRs. This has more power by far than my previous receiver, yet on my previous receivers, -30 to -25db was plenty loud for my main two sources, the optical in from TV while using Netflix / Amazon and HDMI in from HTPC. For movies, the -15db range was really really loud. On the new x5200w I have to crank it to around -15db just to get any kind of moderate / decent volume from the optical in while watch Netflix or Amazon, and movies at -15db just don't seem quite as loud as the previous RX-V475. I haven't ever had to run into the -10db and below range for movies and I really don't think I should have to push the x5200 that hard. I'm not trying to get reference volume levels.

I tried re running audyssey, and I didn't change anything else in my setup other than swap out the receivers. I also had done a hard reset prior to re calibrating. Any ideas? My speakers are in my signature.
There's nothing wrong with the volume setting on your AVR, as Audyssey has just apparently set it differently then your other model. As long as you don't have to raise the master volume above 80/0db, you're good to go.

Also note, this thread is for the X3100W and lower models, while the X5200W is covered in the below thread as well as review posts 3-6 in that thread for more helpful information.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...200-x7200.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4232 of 5134 Old 02-08-2016, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
There's nothing wrong with the volume setting on your AVR, as Audyssey has just apparently set it differently then your other model. As long as you don't have to raise the master volume above 80/0db, you're good to go.

Also note, this thread is for the X3100W and lower models, while the X5200W is covered in the below thread as well as review posts 3-6 in that thread for more helpful information.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...200-x7200.html

Oh dang, sorry about posting in the wrong thread. Thank you for your response! I will still ask the question in the other thread and see what other people usually have their volume set at.

Denon AVR-X5200W [] 7.3 [] Klipsch RF-82ii [] Klipsch RC-62ii [] Klipsch KG 4.2 [] Bose 301-V [] Dual SVS SB-2000 + SVS PB-1000 [] Vizio E60-C3 [] HTPC [] Harmony Elite [] Samsung SmartThings
post #4233 of 5134 Old 02-13-2016, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a question about the 'zone 2' functionality. Let me try to explain my current setup first: I have a Denon AVR-X1100W to which I hooked up my computer through HDMI. The Denon outputs to a TV to my right side. The computer outputs to a monitor in front of me (computer is connected directly to the monitor, not via the receiver). My 5.1 speakers are setup for the TV on my right side, which means that when I'm not watching movies on the TV but something on my monitor, all stereo sound is coming from my right, which sucks.

Here's my question: should I be able to connect 2 additional speakers to the zone 2 terminals and place those on my desk in front of me, so I have the option of stereo sound when I'm browsing the internet (youtube and such)? The source of zone 2 would be the same as zone 1, as both are coming from the same HDMI cable from my computer. I tried to set this up, but no sound is coming from the speakers when I turn on zone 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4234 of 5134 Old 02-13-2016, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Are you selecting the input source for zone 2? My receiver is set up to use height, so I can't test it.
post #4235 of 5134 Old 02-13-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
Are you selecting the input source for zone 2? My receiver is set up to use height, so I can't test it.
I can select things like BT and 'source'. I selected source. But I don't know what to do next... The source for zone 1 is set to the first HDMI input, which is my computer. This is the same source I want for zone 2, but I don't know if zone 2 automatically selects the same source as zone 1?
post #4236 of 5134 Old 02-13-2016, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have the 2100 and it doesn't look like you can choose a hdmi input. On my Yamaha, I can use party mode and that plays the same thing through all speakers. I don't know if the Denon has that.
post #4237 of 5134 Old 02-13-2016, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Go to the website for the receiver and go to speakers and amp assign. Make sure the speakers are set to zone 2. The receiver has a bad name in my ip table, just numbers.
post #4238 of 5134 Old 02-13-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
Go to the website for the receiver and go to speakers and amp assign. Make sure the speakers are set to zone 2. The receiver has a bad name in my ip table, just numbers.
I made sure the amp assignment was set to zone 2 but it does not help unfortunately.
post #4239 of 5134 Old 02-13-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandaahl View Post
I have a question about the 'zone 2' functionality. Let me try to explain my current setup first: I have a Denon AVR-X1100W to which I hooked up my computer through HDMI. The Denon outputs to a TV to my right side. The computer outputs to a monitor in front of me (computer is connected directly to the monitor, not via the receiver). My 5.1 speakers are setup for the TV on my right side, which means that when I'm not watching movies on the TV but something on my monitor, all stereo sound is coming from my right, which sucks.

Here's my question: should I be able to connect 2 additional speakers to the zone 2 terminals and place those on my desk in front of me, so I have the option of stereo sound when I'm browsing the internet (youtube and such)? The source of zone 2 would be the same as zone 1, as both are coming from the same HDMI cable from my computer. I tried to set this up, but no sound is coming from the speakers when I turn on zone 2.
No, as you must have the X3100W or higher to pass HDMI audio to Zone 2, rather for the X1100W you would need to connect an analog cable (or 3.5mm to RCA) from the PC to the AVR.
post #4240 of 5134 Old 02-14-2016, 01:10 AM

I was afraid it would be something like that. Too bad but thanks for the clarification.
post #4241 of 5134 Old 02-14-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
No, as you must have the X3100W or higher to pass HDMI audio to Zone 2, rather for the X1100W you would need to connect an analog cable (or 3.5mm to RCA) from the PC to the AVR.
I am trying zone 2 with analogue source right now, got it working. I can't configure the stereo speakers however (like balance, or Audyssey), is that something that is possible on the higher end X3100W?
post #4242 of 5134 Old 02-14-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandaahl View Post
I am trying zone 2 with analogue source right now, got it working. I can't configure the stereo speakers however (like balance, or Audyssey), is that something that is possible on the higher end X3100W?
Audyssey is only valid on the main zone, however, the X3100W and higher models have the following Zone 2 settings: bass, treble, HPF, stereo/mono.
Vandaahl likes this.
post #4243 of 5134 Old 02-14-2016, 10:59 AM

Thanks, you've been very helpful.
post #4244 of 5134 Old 02-14-2016, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Denon AVR X2100w: Complete HDMI Passthrough and HDMI Out failure

Last week I suffered complete HDMI Passthrough and HDMI-Out failure on my 8-month old Denon AVR X2100W.

I've got 3 sources HDMI connected to the receiver:
1. Raspberry Pi --> Input: Media Player
2. Sky set top box --> Input: CBL/SAT
3. Playstation 3 --> Input: Game
The television in question's a 6-year old Samsung Plasma 50".

About a week ago the Passthrough for the CBL/SAT failed, but I incorrectly assumed it was a problem with the STB. The Sky folks came over and found that when they connected the box via HDMI directly to the TV, it worked. That was my FIRST indication that there was something up with the amp.

1. As of yesterday, I'm getting absolutely NO signal on my TV via the Receiver passthrough from any of the three sources.
2. I've tried changing the sources on the receiver (for eg, removing the STB from CBL/SAT and trying it in the DVD input) but that doesn't work either. All I get is a NO SIGNAL input on the TV.
3. Even the Online Music / Setup won't show on the TV, which leads me to believe this is more a problem with the HDMI Out from the Receiver. Obviously, I've replaced the HDMI Out cable with a new one, but no joy there either.

Anybody aware of this problem or faced something similar?
post #4245 of 5134 Old 02-15-2016, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan701 View Post
Last week I suffered complete HDMI Passthrough and HDMI-Out failure on my 8-month old Denon AVR X2100W.

I've got 3 sources HDMI connected to the receiver:
1. Raspberry Pi --> Input: Media Player
2. Sky set top box --> Input: CBL/SAT
3. Playstation 3 --> Input: Game
The television in question's a 6-year old Samsung Plasma 50".

About a week ago the Passthrough for the CBL/SAT failed, but I incorrectly assumed it was a problem with the STB. The Sky folks came over and found that when they connected the box via HDMI directly to the TV, it worked. That was my FIRST indication that there was something up with the amp.

1. As of yesterday, I'm getting absolutely NO signal on my TV via the Receiver passthrough from any of the three sources.
2. I've tried changing the sources on the receiver (for eg, removing the STB from CBL/SAT and trying it in the DVD input) but that doesn't work either. All I get is a NO SIGNAL input on the TV.
3. Even the Online Music / Setup won't show on the TV, which leads me to believe this is more a problem with the HDMI Out from the Receiver. Obviously, I've replaced the HDMI Out cable with a new one, but no joy there either.

Anybody aware of this problem or faced something similar?
You'll want to rule out an HDMI handshake issue, by powering off and unplugging the power cord to all devices connected to the AVR as well as the AVR itself for at least 10 minutes. Reconnect. Then power on in the following order, allowing at least 5-10 seconds before powering on the next device: TV, AVR, source.

Try using the other inputs on the TV as well as the other inputs on the AVR. The PS3 should have Deep Color Output set to OFF.

If still no joy, refer to post 5 of this thread and perform a series of 4-5 microprocessor resets. Beyond that, if yet still no joy, and the unit was purchased "new" from an authorized dealer, it would have a 3 year warranty so you can call Denon and submit for warranty repair.
post #4246 of 5134 Old 02-16-2016, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Hi everyone... I have a AVR X2100W. This is going to seem pretty random and obscure but I thought I would throw this out to the forum.

Within the past week I'm noticing the same random audio issue on multiple sources. The issue is a very brief (2-3 second) sound that sounds like a helicopter blade spinning while flying. It's almost like a thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump. Again, this happens on both my Cable TV and Apple TV sources.

Does this remotely sound like anything you may have heard of? Thanks!
post #4247 of 5134 Old 02-16-2016, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Hi everyone... I have a AVR X2100W. This is going to seem pretty random and obscure but I thought I would throw this out to the forum.

Within the past week I'm noticing the same random audio issue on multiple sources. The issue is a very brief (2-3 second) sound that sounds like a helicopter blade spinning while flying. It's almost like a thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump. Not a thump like a subwoofer, it's definitely coming from one or more of the front speakers. Again, this happens on both my Cable TV and Apple TV sources.

post #4248 of 5134 Old 02-16-2016, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 343
FYI for anyone using the remote control functionality of their Denon AVR and want a Windows app: I had been using the Denon Remote app on my Android tablet until I recently got a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (which I love by the way). I was going to install an Android emulator on the SP4 to run the Android app, but then I discovered that there is an app called "ReceiverAV" in the Windows 10 Store that has all the funtionality of the Denon Android app but with more customization possibilities and a much more elegant interface. It works great with my X2100W. The web interface to change the actual AVR settings is good for that purpose, but this app offers full control, including DLNA (media server) streaming.
gregoryperkins likes this.

Last edited by PJL99; 02-16-2016 at 07:21 PM.
post #4249 of 5134 Old 02-17-2016, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carillon View Post

Within the past week I'm noticing the same random audio issue on multiple sources. The issue is a very brief (2-3 second) sound that sounds like a helicopter blade spinning while flying. It's almost like a thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump. Not a thump like a subwoofer, it's definitely coming from one or more of the front speakers. Again, this happens on both my Cable TV and Apple TV sources.

Don't recall anyone posting of this specific issue. Try unplugging and re-seating all HDMI cables connected to the AVR. If no joy, then next step is a "soft reset" by simply powering off and unplugging the AVR's power cord for 10 minutes. If still no joy, a microprocessor reset (see post 5 of this thread) would be the final step prior to sending in for warranty repair.
post #4250 of 5134 Old 02-17-2016, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Don't recall anyone posting of this specific issue. Try unplugging and re-seating all HDMI cables connected to the AVR. If no joy, then next step is a "soft reset" by simply powering off and unplugging the AVR's power cord for 10 minutes. If still no joy, a microprocessor reset (see post 5 of this thread) would be the final step prior to sending in for warranty repair.
Really appreciate the reply and suggestions. I will try these tonight and see how it goes.

It's really strange... if I think about it, I started noticing this right after I replaced my Comcast Xfinity gateway with a standalone modem and separate wifi router. I can't imagine how this could affect the AVR... only connection would be that the AVR, Apple TV and Comcast DVR are hard-wired (ethernet) to the router. They were all hard-wired previously to the Comcast gateway before I replaced it.

I have a question about the resets... will my settings remain intact with a soft reset? I'm assuming they would all be wiped out with a microprocessor reset.

Thanks again!
post #4251 of 5134 Old 02-17-2016, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carillon View Post
I have a question about the resets... will my settings remain intact with a soft reset? I'm assuming they would all be wiped out with a microprocessor reset.

Thanks again!
A soft reset retains settings; you are correct that a microprocessor wipes them out. But you can use the web browser access to save the settings, and then install them back after the reset. I've used the process and it's very helpful. Some settings seem to get lost, but at least most come back.
post #4252 of 5134 Old 02-20-2016, 02:24 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
You'll want to rule out an HDMI handshake issue, by powering off and unplugging the power cord to all devices connected to the AVR as well as the AVR itself for at least 10 minutes. Reconnect. Then power on in the following order, allowing at least 5-10 seconds before powering on the next device: TV, AVR, source.

Try using the other inputs on the TV as well as the other inputs on the AVR. The PS3 should have Deep Color Output set to OFF.

If still no joy, refer to post 5 of this thread and perform a series of 4-5 microprocessor resets. Beyond that, if yet still no joy, and the unit was purchased "new" from an authorized dealer, it would have a 3 year warranty so you can call Denon and submit for warranty repair.
Thanks, but the Denon Service center confirmed that the problem turned out to be linked to HDMI CEC.
I was using my Samsung Plasma TV remote to control my Raspberry Pi via the HDMI passthrough of the Denon. It turns out that the return HDMI pulses from the TV (passing via the HDMI IC of the receiver to the Raspberry Pi) caused the HDMI board to malfunction.
I had suspected that this could be the cause since the problems only started after I'd started using the Samsung TV remote to control the Pi instead of the Kodi remote on my phone, and Denon confirmed this independently without me prompting them.

Bottom line is to avoid using HDMI CEC functions if possible, apparently. I'm sorry this isn't a more detailed RCA but this is as technical as I get.
post #4253 of 5134 Old 02-20-2016, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan701 View Post
Thanks, but the Denon Service center confirmed that the problem turned out to be linked to HDMI CEC.
I was using my Samsung Plasma TV remote to control my Raspberry Pi via the HDMI passthrough of the Denon. It turns out that the return HDMI pulses from the TV (passing via the HDMI IC of the receiver to the Raspberry Pi) caused the HDMI board to malfunction.
I had suspected that this could be the cause since the problems only started after I'd started using the Samsung TV remote to control the Pi instead of the Kodi remote on my phone, and Denon confirmed this independently without me prompting them.

Bottom line is to avoid using HDMI CEC functions if possible, apparently. I'm sorry this isn't a more detailed RCA but this is as technical as I get.
From my experience with my own Samsung TV and from the posts I've read on the Samsung TV forums I've concluded that Samsung does not do HDMI CEC properly, so I'm not surprised to read your experience. I believe Denon's implementation is solid, and the only reason I have to use it on the Samsung TV is so I can use ARC. But I've disabled power control on my Denon AVR and use a Harmony remote to deal with the switching issues that the Samsung TV creates by programming Harmony activities to fix what the Samsung TV breaks when I switch or power on sources.

Last edited by PJL99; 02-20-2016 at 02:19 PM.
post #4254 of 5134 Old 02-20-2016, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked: 433
directv genie -> denon avr -> samsung tv
cec seems to be fine, never had an issue

TV- Samsung 55" UHD (UN55JU6500FXZA)
service - directv
Receiver - Denon AVR-X2100W,
Speakers -F L/R - Infinity Primus P363, C - Infinity Primus PC351
Sub - Klipsch Sub-12HG
(slow build out)
post #4255 of 5134 Old 02-20-2016, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

I have a 4k UHD Samsung TV and the X2100W. My video sources are Xfinity cable TV and Apple TV. Should I turn on or off Video Conversion and i/p Scaling? I've never really thought about this but it seems that it would affect PQ one way or the other. I can try these settings for myself but I was hoping to hear from others who may have already done this. Thanks!
post #4256 of 5134 Old 02-20-2016, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked: 433
imho the tv does a better scaling than the avr

TV- Samsung 55" UHD (UN55JU6500FXZA)
service - directv
Receiver - Denon AVR-X2100W,
Speakers -F L/R - Infinity Primus P363, C - Infinity Primus PC351
Sub - Klipsch Sub-12HG
(slow build out)
post #4257 of 5134 Old 02-20-2016, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Weird specific issue I'm having. Denon X1200, JS9000.

Running pass through on my PC to the AUX on the Denon. Sound/display set up to run 4k. Audio/video play fine on movies, most games I've tried.

Trying to play Street Fighter V. If I run 1080p from the GPU to the Denon, I get audio/video just fine. However, if I change the native resolution to 4k then launch SFV (in 1080p, it's a beefy game to run in 4k) I do not get audio. Which I find as really strange. It's the only game that does this. I mean it's not that much of a bother since I play it in 1080p anyway, but would just be more convenient if I didn't have to change the native resolution back to 1080 just to play the one game.

Any thoughts?
post #4258 of 5134 Old 02-20-2016, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdram View Post
imho the tv does a better scaling than the avr
Thanks for the reply... I'm currently running with video conversion off which also turns off the i/p Scaling too. I'll go a few days and then change it up. Would love to hear from others and what they observed.

EDIT: I noticed that turning off Video Conversion causes the volume level to not display on the TV. So I wonder how this is converting my Xfinity and Apple TV video.

Last edited by carillon; 02-20-2016 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Adding info
post #4259 of 5134 Old 02-22-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsomebwonderful View Post
I'm having an issue with audio skipping when the receiver is on pass through. Everything works fine if I'm watching with my external speakers but if I have the receiver off or set the audio to be played through the tv in the avr settings the audio will skip, video is fine. I have the x2100 connected to a samsung f5300. The problem only showed up when I had to get a new dvr from AT&T Uverse, everything worked fine with the old dvr but unfortunately its gone now. The new dvr is the IPH8010 model. I've looked around on their website with no success. I've tried replacing the hdmi cables from the box to the receiver and the receiver to the tv with brand new ones, (video was also stuttering heavily with the old hdmi cable I had connected, but it was resolved when I replaced the hdmi cable.) I've also tried switching the audio format on the dvr from surround to stereo with no luck. Does anyone have any idea what would cause this? Audio and video are also fine if I connect the dvr straight to the tv, so I'm thinking there must be some issue when passing the audio from the avr to the tv, but I'm out of ideas.
Have you tried doing a soft reset or microprocessor reset as described in post 5 of this thread? Otherwise, if still no joy, connect the cable box (HDMI) to the TV with cable box (optical) to the AVR.
post #4260 of 5134 Old 02-24-2016, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Another s700w owner here with HDMI CEC issues. My receiver is connected to a Sony 55" KDLw800b TV and I've been getting intermittent failure of CEC connection at an increasing rate over the last 6-8 months that I've had this receiver. The first instance was about a week after purchase, but then it went about two months just fine, then another month after that, then within the week, and now 4 times in the last 3 days.

I can reset the microprocessor, load my settings, but without any provocation, the TV will display the message, 'communication with the home theater has stopped' and then all CEC functionality is gone until I reset the s700w. Looks like I'll be sending this back to Denon.

This absolutely sucks! Does anyone know if the S710 or 910 have this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
buzz , buzzing , Denon , denon s500bt , hum , humming , X1100W , X2100W , x3100w , X4100W

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page