The 'Official' 2014 Denon "S Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 145 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4845Likes

post #4321 of 5134 Old 04-09-2016, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Denon AVRX2100w Ultra HD 4K Blu Rays

Has anyone had luck playing a Ultra HD 4K Blu Rays through their Denon AVRX2100w? Does HDCP 2.2 not being avail stop owners from using it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4322 of 5134 Old 04-09-2016, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by ten2344 View Post
Has anyone had luck playing a Ultra HD 4K Blu Rays through their Denon AVRX2100w? Does HDCP 2.2 not being avail stop owners from using it?
Not supported. That's one main reason why the 2014 --> 2015 model update is such a huge upgrade.
post #4323 of 5134 Old 04-10-2016, 02:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 739 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22581 Post(s)
Liked: 12288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ten2344 View Post
The 2014 models are not HDCP 2.2, so in order to play a 4k Blu Ray you'll need to either purchase a dual HDMI BDP to pass the 4k video to the TV and the HD audio to the AVR, or use an HD Fury Integral.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4324 of 5134 Old 04-10-2016, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
I'm having problems getting vtuner stations onto my x2100 via www.radiodenon.com. It doesn't seem to push onto the receiver like my Yamaha does. Has anyone used it successfully?
Are the added stations at least showing up in radiodenon.com? Try again in a day or two.
post #4325 of 5134 Old 04-10-2016, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Thanks, I have 3 stations in my favorite groups followed by added stations, I have two in my added stations, http://www.artguy.com/radio/streams/LatestShow.mp3 on radiodenon. This is what I really want to get onto the receiver since it's not a real internet radio station, just the latest show for a real ota broadcast.

So it looks something like this. The only favorites that I have on the receiver are ones that I manually added via the remote. Where should I see this on the receiver? The ones in favorites have been there for months.

My Favorite Groups
Added

My Added Stations
Station Name Location Genre Stream

James Boston Alternative MP3

James last Boston Alternative MP3

As a workaround I'm casting the url to the receiver. That actually works pretty well if the page wasn't using flash and launching off in a separate window that doesn't have a cast button. So I have to grab the launched url and put it back into chrome to cast it.
post #4326 of 5134 Old 04-10-2016, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The 2014 models are not HDCP 2.2, so in order to play a 4k Blu Ray you'll need to either purchase a dual HDMI BDP to pass the 4k video to the TV and the HD audio to the AVR, or use an HD Fury Integral.
I believe the only 4K Blu-ray player available today is the Samsung - UBD-K8500 4K Ultra HD Wi-Fi Built-In Blu-ray Player. It has to HDMI outputs, one of which is audio only for an AVR that is not HDCP 2.2 compliant and cannot pass through the HDMI video/audio signal provided by the main HDMI output. I believe the other brands will include the second HDMI port as well, although future (cheaper?) models could have only the one HDMI output.
post #4327 of 5134 Old 04-11-2016, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
So it looks something like this. The only favorites that I have on the receiver are ones that I manually added via the remote. Where should I see this on the receiver? The ones in favorites have been there for months.
Has the receiver's MAC address been registered with Radio Denon?

M = Mega, m = milli. K = Kelvin, k = kilo. B = Bytes, b = bits. G = Giga, g = gravity. Dan in Saint Louis
post #4328 of 5134 Old 04-11-2016, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help with S500BT surround sound

Just recently finished a 5.1 system with the AVR-S500BT receiver. I've been fairly disappointed with the sound so far.

I use the Xbox One for most of my media, so this may be an issue with the Xbox. The Xbox offers sound outputs of Stereo, 5.1, 7.1, and Bitstream (Dolby or DTS).

If I run 5.1, the receiver offers no Dolby processing channels. The best option is Multichannel In, but this utilizes my surrounds very little, giving me closer to a 3.1 sound field.

If I run Bitstream Dolby, I have access to PLII Cinema, PLII Music, PLII Game, Pro Logic, and Direct. The best choice I've found so far is PLII Music, which allows me to change my Surround Parameters. I've enabled "panorama" and changed "dimensions" to 0 which has significantly increased the use of my surround speakers, but noticeably reduced the overall quality of my sound (I think PLII is a 2-channel format isn't it?).

Is there anything I can do to improve my overall sound? Is this an issue with the Xbox, receiver, or both?

I ordered a mini DisplayPort cable to test running audio through my Surface Pro 3 to use as a HTPC. I'm also considering ordering a Chromecast or Amazon Fire Stick in hopes that they offer better Dolby processing formats. Any thoughts on that?
post #4329 of 5134 Old 04-11-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlay View Post
Just recently finished a 5.1 system with the AVR-S500BT receiver. I've been fairly disappointed with the sound so far.

I use the Xbox One for most of my media, so this may be an issue with the Xbox. The Xbox offers sound outputs of Stereo, 5.1, 7.1, and Bitstream (Dolby or DTS).

If I run 5.1, the receiver offers no Dolby processing channels. The best option is Multichannel In, but this utilizes my surrounds very little, giving me closer to a 3.1 sound field.

If I run Bitstream Dolby, I have access to PLII Cinema, PLII Music, PLII Game, Pro Logic, and Direct. The best choice I've found so far is PLII Music, which allows me to change my Surround Parameters. I've enabled "panorama" and changed "dimensions" to 0 which has significantly increased the use of my surround speakers, but noticeably reduced the overall quality of my sound (I think PLII is a 2-channel format isn't it?).

Is there anything I can do to improve my overall sound? Is this an issue with the Xbox, receiver, or both?

I ordered a mini DisplayPort cable to test running audio through my Surface Pro 3 to use as a HTPC. I'm also considering ordering a Chromecast or Amazon Fire Stick in hopes that they offer better Dolby processing formats. Any thoughts on that?
1. The S500BT is only a 5CH model so when receiving a 5.1 signal, there is nothing to simulate, unlike when receiving a 2CH signal.
2. Have you run the on board EQ? You may want to upgrade to the next higher model, S710W (or newer S720W) in order to use the Audyssey EQ.
post #4330 of 5134 Old 04-11-2016, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis View Post
Has the receiver's MAC address been registered with Radio Denon?
Yes, the only difference between the mac on radiodenon is the alpha characters are upper case but in the setup they show upper.

It's interesting, when I go to Yamaha's version it doesn't show the mac.
post #4331 of 5134 Old 04-11-2016, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, the only difference between the mac on radiodenon is the alpha characters are upper case but in the setup they show upper.

It's interesting, when I go to Yamaha's version it doesn't show the mac.
Be sure there is no zero/o confusion, or one/i.

M = Mega, m = milli. K = Kelvin, k = kilo. B = Bytes, b = bits. G = Giga, g = gravity. Dan in Saint Louis
post #4332 of 5134 Old 04-12-2016, 04:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis View Post
Be sure there is no zero/o confusion, or one/i.
I'm pretty sure it is exact with the exception of case. Is this something you've done? If so, where do the stations appear? Do they go in favorites or am I looking in the wrong place?

I must say that the Denon app sucks in regards to internet radio. It seems very slow compared to the yamaha and for inexplicable reasons stops the playing station when switching. I use mostly android, but the ios version is even worse.
post #4333 of 5134 Old 04-12-2016, 05:22 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it is exact with the exception of case. Is this something you've done? If so, where do the stations appear? Do they go in favorites or am I looking in the wrong place?

I must say that the Denon app sucks in regards to internet radio. It seems very slow compared to the yamaha and for inexplicable reasons stops the playing station when switching. I use mostly android, but the ios version is even worse.
When you log in to RadioDenon.com using your laptop/tablet, you will either (1) select radio stations listed on vTuner which will appear on the AVR under Internet Radio - RadioDenon - Favorites, or (2) add those stations not listed on vTuner which will appear on the AVR under Internet Radio - RadioDenon - Added Stations. I just added stations to both Favorites and Added Stations so there should be no problem using the RadioDenon website.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 04-12-2016 at 07:33 AM.
post #4334 of 5134 Old 04-12-2016, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When you log in to RadioDenon.com, you will either (1) select radio stations listed on vTuner which will appear on the AVR under Internet Radio - RadioDenon - Favorites, or (2) add those stations not listed on vTuner which will appear on the AVR under Internet Radio - RadioDenon - Added Stations. I just added stations to both Favorites and Added Stations so there should be no problem using the RadioDenon website.
Ok thanks, I will try again. I don't see any radiodenon anywhere on the receiver. I will try with uppercase.
post #4335 of 5134 Old 04-12-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Ok thanks, I will try again. I don't see any radiodenon anywhere on the receiver. I will try with uppercase.
In order to create a new vTuner account, you must first play a few of the available Internet Radio stations so the vTuner servers can recognize the AVR's MAC address. Once having done so, you should then be able to use your PC and go to <radiodenon.com> and enter your AVR's MAC address (using the AVR's remote ---> SETUP - NETWORK - INFORMATION - MAC ADDRESS). After the account is created, you should then be able to add more Internet Radio stations to your AVR's list of radiodenon available stations.

Also, once you are able to select the station under radiodenon, you can then select those you want listed under the Internet Radio - Favorites by pressing Option - Save to Favorites.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 04-12-2016 at 07:48 AM.
post #4336 of 5134 Old 04-12-2016, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In order to create a new vTuner account, you must first play a few of the available Internet Radio stations so the vTuner servers can recognize the AVR's MAC address. Once having done so, you should then be able to use your PC and go to <radiodenon.com> and enter your AVR's MAC address (using the AVR's remote ---> SETUP - NETWORK - INFORMATION - MAC ADDRESS). After the account is created, you should then be able to add more Internet Radio stations to your AVR's list of radiodenon available stations.

Also, once you are able to select the station under radiodenon, you can then select those you want listed under the Internet Radio - Favorites by pressing Option - Save to Favorites.
Hmm based on that my Mac is correct... I have the account and can add stations, but they don't push to the receiver.
post #4337 of 5134 Old 04-12-2016, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hmm based on that my Mac is correct... I have the account and can add stations, but they don't push to the receiver.
They don't "push" in the unilateral sense that they auotmagically appear. You have to add them as described in jd's post #4334.

I suspect that the pause you notice when switching is the buffer filling up. Playback does not begin until there is a sizable amount of data in the buffer, to prevent stuttering later on.

Hope this helps!

post #4338 of 5134 Old 04-13-2016, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Denon AVR-S700W Airplay connection issues

Hi,
I have a Denon AVR-S700W. I use the Airplay function to play music from my macbook to the receiver. I use the airplay function trough iTunes or (mainly) with the application Airfoil. It use to work good but now since a few days it keep dropping the connection and the only way to make it work again is to unplug the receiver for few minutes then re-plug it, then, Airplay works as it should for few minutes, sometimes a little more, then drop the connection. When I try to reconnect, I get the message in iTunes: An error occurred while connecting to the AirPlay device “Denon”. An unknown error occurred (-15008).
This happen both when it's connected with Wifi or Ethernet. The network connection of the receiver seems normal, even when it's not possible to connect with Airplay.
Does anyone had this kind of problem?
Thank you!
post #4339 of 5134 Old 04-14-2016, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsimard View Post
Hi,
I have a Denon AVR-S700W. I use the Airplay function to play music from my macbook to the receiver. I use the airplay function trough iTunes or (mainly) with the application Airfoil. It use to work good but now since a few days it keep dropping the connection and the only way to make it work again is to unplug the receiver for few minutes then re-plug it, then, Airplay works as it should for few minutes, sometimes a little more, then drop the connection. When I try to reconnect, I get the message in iTunes: An error occurred while connecting to the AirPlay device “Denon”. An unknown error occurred (-15008).
This happen both when it's connected with Wifi or Ethernet. The network connection of the receiver seems normal, even when it's not possible to connect with Airplay.
Does anyone had this kind of problem?
Thank you!
If you refer to the post 3 item 11(a) Troubleshooting on page 1 of this thread, I provide some router setting tips that may help you.
post #4340 of 5134 Old 04-15-2016, 11:48 AM

For those of you who might be experiencing network related issues, consider the following:

Network (esp. Airplay) connectivity inconsistent: Several members have resolved this issue by leaving DHCP enabled on the AVR (rather than using a static IP reservation) but instead setting the IP reservation in the router (ie. via MAC address).
post #4341 of 5134 Old 04-18-2016, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hey Everyone, awesome thread, thanks for everyone's contributions! So I got an AVRS900W about 10 months ago, and the entire time it's been doing an annoying thing where about once an hour or two the video will black out for about two seconds. The audio will keep on going just fine, and it does this on every source that's connected to the receiver.

Troubleshooting steps I've tried:
  • HDMI reset as per the troubleshooting instructions
  • Switching the output port on the receiver
  • Switching the input port on the TV
  • Doing a microprocessor reset
  • Switching the HDMI cable between the receiver and the TV
  • Putting an HDMI switch in between the receiver and the TV

Now this issue (as far as I can remember) never happened on my old HTIB receiver, which was the same inputs going to the same TV, so that, plus the troubleshooting steps, leads me to believe it's the receiver. Does anyone have any other ideas before I contact Denon and try to do a warranty claim?

Thanks in advance!
post #4342 of 5134 Old 04-19-2016, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retardical_Sam View Post
Hey Everyone, awesome thread, thanks for everyone's contributions! So I got an AVRS900W about 10 months ago, and the entire time it's been doing an annoying thing where about once an hour or two the video will black out for about two seconds. The audio will keep on going just fine, and it does this on every source that's connected to the receiver.

Troubleshooting steps I've tried:
  • HDMI reset as per the troubleshooting instructions
  • Switching the output port on the receiver
  • Switching the input port on the TV
  • Doing a microprocessor reset
  • Switching the HDMI cable between the receiver and the TV
  • Putting an HDMI switch in between the receiver and the TV

Now this issue (as far as I can remember) never happened on my old HTIB receiver, which was the same inputs going to the same TV, so that, plus the troubleshooting steps, leads me to believe it's the receiver. Does anyone have any other ideas before I contact Denon and try to do a warranty claim?

Thanks in advance!
Does the same issue present when connected to another TV? If not, it's unlikely the repair facility will be able to replicate the issue and will simply return the unit back to you (although no harm in trying if you decide on that route).

Instead, rather than just an HDMI switch, you may want to try adding something like the following to resolve the HDMI handshake issue:

https://www.hdfury.com/shop/otherhdf...dware/dr-hdmi/

http://www.amazon.com/GEFEN-EXT-HD-E...dp_ob_title_ce

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 04-19-2016 at 04:33 AM.
post #4343 of 5134 Old 04-20-2016, 10:44 AM

Thanks JD, good thinking on trying it with a different TV. I may also try removing it from my rack, as even though there are a few inches above and 6-12" behind, there's a possibility it may be a heat issue. It never seems to happen shortly after powering up the receiver, the first cut out is always 45-60 minutes into using it.
post #4344 of 5134 Old 04-26-2016, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Hello everyone, I was wondering if a fellow owner of the x1100w could assist me. I just purchased the new Vizio P65 to replace my old Samsung LN40C630 which seems to have a Lip Sync issue when 24hz content is passed through the AVR. (60hz is normal) I never had the issue with my old TV and Vizio support suggested the problem is only with the AVR since the TV does not display lip sync issues when the 24hz source is direct connect to the TV. I did search through the thread and had seen other posts of people reporting lip sync problems. Seeing as how this is a 2014 model I doubt Denon will even bother with testing to provide a firmware update.

Just curious if any of you had some suggestions. If not, I can live with it for the next year and upgrade my AVR, was just hoping the purchase would last me longer than 2 years. (AVR, purchased last year through accessories4less)
post #4345 of 5134 Old 04-26-2016, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 428
did you turn video processing off on the 1100?

TV- Samsung 55" UHD (UN55JU6500FXZA)
service - directv
Receiver - Denon AVR-X2100W,
Speakers -F L/R - Infinity Primus P363, C - Infinity Primus PC351
Sub - Klipsch Sub-12HG
(slow build out)
post #4346 of 5134 Old 04-26-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retardical_Sam View Post
Thanks JD, good thinking on trying it with a different TV. I may also try removing it from my rack, as even though there are a few inches above and 6-12" behind, there's a possibility it may be a heat issue. It never seems to happen shortly after powering up the receiver, the first cut out is always 45-60 minutes into using it.
To update anyone else that has a similar issue, the problem I'm having doesn't present itself on a different TV, so it's got to be either the TV itself or some compatibility between the TV and the AVR. Kind of a drag, I was hoping it was the AVR because that's under warranty. I think I may either go the Dr. HDMI route, or try to do an HDMI->DVI->VGA conversion or something like that.
post #4347 of 5134 Old 04-26-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdram View Post
did you turn video processing off on the 1100?
I have looked through my settings on my AVR. I have not found this setting. Where might I find it? I have checked under VIDEO - HDMI setup.
post #4348 of 5134 Old 04-26-2016, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 428
hhhhmmm
ok, maybe the 100 doesnt have that feature
but it does have an auto lip synch setting

TV- Samsung 55" UHD (UN55JU6500FXZA)
service - directv
Receiver - Denon AVR-X2100W,
Speakers -F L/R - Infinity Primus P363, C - Infinity Primus PC351
Sub - Klipsch Sub-12HG
(slow build out)
post #4349 of 5134 Old 04-26-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeronetFi View Post
Hello everyone, I was wondering if a fellow owner of the x1100w could assist me. I just purchased the new Vizio P65 to replace my old Samsung LN40C630 which seems to have a Lip Sync issue when 24hz content is passed through the AVR. (60hz is normal) I never had the issue with my old TV and Vizio support suggested the problem is only with the AVR since the TV does not display lip sync issues when the 24hz source is direct connect to the TV. I did search through the thread and had seen other posts of people reporting lip sync problems. Seeing as how this is a 2014 model I doubt Denon will even bother with testing to provide a firmware update.

Just curious if any of you had some suggestions. If not, I can live with it for the next year and upgrade my AVR, was just hoping the purchase would last me longer than 2 years. (AVR, purchased last year through accessories4less)
Is the audio ahead of the video or lagging the video? There is no video card on the X1100W; however, there is an "Audio Delay" setting (p. 150 Owner's manual) that can be adjusted as long as the audio is ahead of the video.
post #4350 of 5134 Old 04-26-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdram View Post
hhhhmmm
ok, maybe the 100 doesnt have that feature
but it does have an auto lip synch setting

Yeah I have found the Auto Lip Sync settings and also the Audio Delay settings and tried to find the sweet spot but the problem with that is, I have my Tivo Roamio as my main box that streams Netlix, so when I go back to watching cable I do not want to go back in and mess with the audio delay again. My Tivo has an option to set 1080p (60hz) and 1080p pass through (24hz). Netflix HD content will stream through at 24hz and this is where I first noticed the issue (later replicated from my BR player at 24hz). I guess I can leave the Tivo and BR player at 60hz until I upgrade my AVR.

Thank you for your response
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
buzz , buzzing , Denon , denon s500bt , hum , humming , X1100W , X2100W , x3100w , X4100W

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page