The 'Official' 2014 Denon "S Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 172 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4845Likes

post #5131 of 5141 Old 07-23-2019, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The X3200W is a 2015 model, whereas this is the 2014 thread. Please repost in the correct thread below.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...dcp-2-2-a.html
Thanks, sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5132 of 5141 Old 08-19-2019, 08:05 AM
gte

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Is my equipment setup and working correctly?

Hello, I have a Denon Avr-s700w and a Pyle PTA3000.

It's for a sound system in a garage and I'm not sure it's set up correctly as this Denon is a nightmare to configure and extremely overly complicated. (you need an HDMI monitor, the subwoofer output is disabled unless speaker configuration size is set to "small", the setting stereo is the default which disables 5 of the 7 outputs and has to be changed to stereo-multi, etc etc)

Looking at the specs of each piece of equipment, what type of sub output would you expect? I understand this is very subjective without being able to physically be there, but the rack amp is barely driving a single 12" subwoofer. This is my first time trying to set up an audio system outside of a vehicle, so I believe the issue is with me and not the equipment. The lows sound no different than my factory audio system in one my cars and I would expect with a (rated) 3000w amp, I'd have to back the gain off of the Pyle and not have it cranked up? It is bridged and set to a bridged mode. Even if the RMS was 1/3 of the rated value, I would expect it to overdrive a single 12 into implosion?

Do my expectations seem reasonable? The room is about 14000 cubic feet, part block and part wood.

(I tried to post links to the specs but cannot since I don't have enough posts. If a moderator could fix that I'd appreciate it)
post #5133 of 5141 Old 08-19-2019, 09:03 AM
gte

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
My thread shouldn't have been merged with this thread Mods ... come on

Here are the links

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hom...ivers/avrs700w

https://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PTA3000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5134 of 5141 Old 08-23-2019, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by gte View Post
My thread shouldn't have been merged with this thread Mods ... come on
Perhaps you did not notice that each thread covers a model year, not individual questions.
PJL99 likes this.

M = Mega, m = milli. K = Kelvin, k = kilo. B = Bytes, b = bits. G = Giga, g = gravity. Dan in Saint Louis
post #5135 of 5141 Old 11-12-2019, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 36
After several months of trying to figure out and trying to fix my hdmi issue I finally sent reciever in to get serviced. Per Denon it ended up being a bad hdmi board so no matter how many resets,cable swapping, screwing with PS3 settings, plugging differant devices into that input it wouldn't have made a difference. Let's see how long this last, if hdmi goes out again I guess it will be time to bite the bullet and get a new reciever. (Already started researching)
Best part of all repair was covered under warranty because this issue was going on as long as it did denon took care of it.
That says something about a company.
post #5136 of 5141 Old 11-20-2019, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I recently acquired a x3100w from Ebay. The listing specified no issues with receiver but when i receiver the AVR I connected the HDMI main to my TV with the source of Sat/Cbl selected and i did not receive any video output. I connected the cable into the Zone 2 output and did get signal that way but did not get sound.

I tried the "soft reset" from post #5 and the microprocessor reset as well and still no joy. Are there any recommendations for me to try? If something is broken, where and what should i look for? I'm an amateur at AVR technical issues but i can follow instructions very well. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The bluetooth works as well btw. sound did come out of the AVR to the connected speakers i just cannot get a video output from the main zone it would seem. When i reset the microprocessor the TV did react to the AVR resetting, it just didnt output any video it just kind of flashed or flickered you could say.

-Samsung PN60F5300 Plasma-
--Denon AVR-X3100W--
post #5137 of 5141 Old 11-20-2019, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked: 451
can you get the avr menu on screen at all?

have you tried a diff input?

TV- Samsung 55" UHD (UN55JU6500FXZA)
service - directv
Receiver - Denon AVR-X2100W,
Speakers -F L/R - Infinity Primus P363, C - Infinity Primus PC351
Sub - Klipsch Sub-12HG
(slow build out)
post #5138 of 5141 Old 11-20-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdram View Post
can you get the avr menu on screen at all?

have you tried a diff input?
I cannot access the AVR menu on screen at all. Ive tried both inputs on my TV. I have an older Denon AVR-E300 that works perfectly on both inputs as well. This one will not.

--Denon AVR-X3100W--
post #5139 of 5141 Old 11-20-2019, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 758 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22923 Post(s)
Liked: 12540
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossbaker14 View Post
I recently acquired a x3100w from Ebay. The listing specified no issues with receiver but when i receiver the AVR I connected the HDMI main to my TV with the source of Sat/Cbl selected and i did not receive any video output. I connected the cable into the Zone 2 output and did get signal that way but did not get sound.

I tried the "soft reset" from post #5 and the microprocessor reset as well and still no joy. Are there any recommendations for me to try? If something is broken, where and what should i look for? I'm an amateur at AVR technical issues but i can follow instructions very well. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The bluetooth works as well btw. sound did come out of the AVR to the connected speakers i just cannot get a video output from the main zone it would seem. When i reset the microprocessor the TV did react to the AVR resetting, it just didnt output any video it just kind of flashed or flickered you could say.
Try a few more microprocessor resets in a row. Then refer to post 3 item 11(k) and do an HDMI HDCP reset. If still no joy, return it to the eBay seller.
post #5140 of 5141 Old 11-20-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Try a few more microprocessor resets in a row. Then refer to post 3 item 11(k) and do an HDMI HDCP reset. If still no joy, return it to the eBay seller.
i will try that asap and hopefully have success. I did however relay my concerns to the eBay seller who refunded my money for the unit and told me to keep it. soooo if there is any replacement parts possibly to help fix this i wouldnt really be out a lot of money if i were to get the parts.

--Denon AVR-X3100W--
post #5141 of 5141 Old Today, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks to all for the pointers!
Now it is my time to offer something back to the (great) community. So I just created an account :-)

I downloaded the service manual and I think I see the design issue: The circuit is
- Transformer secondary (35V AC)
- 100 mA fuse
- diode 1N4007
- capacitor 220uF / 63V
... and back to the transformer to close the loop

The inrush current at power-up is limited only by the transformer resistance. There is also some random element in the time when the circuit gets powered-up in respect to the AC sine phase. Line voltage is a factor too. There is certain probability that the fuse blows at the power-up event.
I assume that the service call is replacing the capacitor (aside of the blown fuse) not because the capacitor would necessarily be bad but perhaps with lower capacitance to limit the inrush energy below the fuse limits.

I decided to address the issue in a different way: Adding a series resistor to limit the inrush current. The current in the powered circuit is less than 50mA. I REPLACED the bad fuse with a 1/4W 100 Ohm resistor. The heat dissipation during normal operation is less than the rated power dissipation of the resistor. Inrush current is limited - good thing in general.
The fuse was rated at 100mA. 100 Ohm resistor would be dissipating 1W at 100mA. This is likely as much as the resistor would withstand ==> the resistor doubles as a (very) slow-blow fuse to protect the transformer and wiring (including the PCB) in case of an overload.
I soldered the resistor on the back of the PCBA in parallel to the (open) fuse and intentionally left the leads a bit longer (15mm) so that eventually generated heat doesn't transfer to the PCB.
I am sure that this fix will last forever. And most of us who have soldering iron happen to have some resistors in the drawer - more likely than specific fuse.
Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
buzz , buzzing , Denon , denon s500bt , hum , humming , X1100W , X2100W , x3100w , X4100W

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page