Denon AVR-X7200W 9.2/11.2ch 2014/2015 Receiver Details- - Page 66 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4809Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1951 of 5355 Old 08-14-2015, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
timc1475's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Illinois USA
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
If the AVR is connected to the internet, when a firmware update is available, a message will display on the front panel display indicating that fact. You can choose to install it at that time, or decline to install.
Thanks jd! I think that is amazing, these new tech products never cease to amaze me.


If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.
timc1475 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1952 of 5355 Old 08-14-2015, 10:33 PM
Member
 
RayWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The various immersive surround technologies use different names and acronyms for speaker placement notation. I hoped to find some guidance with the X7200WA speaker connections and found an even more confusing set of Height1 and Height2 outlets.
Can this increasingly complex terminology be simplified in a table or illustration to include the three technologies and the X7200WA hardware connections?
timc1475 likes this.
RayWK is offline  
post #1953 of 5355 Old 08-14-2015, 11:01 PM
Senior Member
 
peterfram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayWK View Post
The various immersive surround technologies use different names and acronyms for speaker placement notation. I hoped to find some guidance with the X7200WA speaker connections and found an even more confusing set of Height1 and Height2 outlets.
Can this increasingly complex terminology be simplified in a table or illustration to include the three technologies and the X7200WA hardware connections?
Did you see this? http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX7200Wa/...SYjhudqdih.php

jsdmoothie sent me a nice new X7200WA not long ago and it took me less than 90 minutes to setup everything with an Atmos 7.1.4 layout including Audyssey calibration. The amp assign config was easier than expected. However, I'm coming from an X4000 so I knew what to expect from the Denon GUI.
Ted99 and timc1475 like this.
peterfram is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1954 of 5355 Old 08-15-2015, 04:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,547
Mentioned: 757 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22885 Post(s)
Liked: 12508
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayWK View Post
The various immersive surround technologies use different names and acronyms for speaker placement notation. I hoped to find some guidance with the X7200WA speaker connections and found an even more confusing set of Height1 and Height2 outlets.
Can this increasingly complex terminology be simplified in a table or illustration to include the three technologies and the X7200WA hardware connections?
Bottom line .. if you plan on loading Auro 3D, and don't want to have to load a separate Audyssey EQ file each time you switch between Atmos and Auro 3D, but rather want to use the same Audyssey EQ for both formats, the "only" height configuration you can use with 4 height speakers is: Front Height + Rear Height, with the caveat that currently only the Front Height can be used for both formats, but later this fall, a firmware update will be added to allow Rear Height to be used with Auro 3D.
timc1475 likes this.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 08-15-2015 at 10:13 AM.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1955 of 5355 Old 08-15-2015, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chi_guy50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,737
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked: 2384
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Bottom line .. if you plan on loading Auro 3D, the "only" height configuration you can use with 4 height speakers is: Front Height + Rear Height, with the caveat that a firmware update will be added later this fall to allow Rear Height to be used with Auro 3D as currently only Front Height can be shared between both Atmos and Auro 3D.
JD, I believe you meant to write Surround Height vice Rear Height for Auro?

Quote from the owner's manual: "Auro-3D does not support a Dolby Atmos configuration using Top Front, Top Middle, Top Rear, Rear Height, or any Dolby Atmos Enabled speakers. If you are using these speakers and want to take advantage of the Auro-3D Upgrade, you need to relocate them to Front Height and Surround Height speaker locations . . ."

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
chi_guy50 is offline  
post #1956 of 5355 Old 08-15-2015, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,547
Mentioned: 757 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22885 Post(s)
Liked: 12508
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
JD, I believe you meant to write Surround Height vice Rear Height for Auro?

Quote from the owner's manual: "Auro-3D does not support a Dolby Atmos configuration using Top Front, Top Middle, Top Rear, Rear Height, or any Dolby Atmos Enabled speakers. If you are using these speakers and want to take advantage of the Auro-3D Upgrade, you need to relocate them to Front Height and Surround Height speaker locations . . ."
Nope. Meant what I posted. Read it again .... slowly.
timc1475 likes this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1957 of 5355 Old 08-15-2015, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chi_guy50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,737
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked: 2384
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Nope. Meant what I posted. Read it again .... slowly.
I was reading it slowly; you just wrote it too fast for me to keep up.

So I guess you meant to emphasize to OP that he will be able to use FH + RH for both Atmos and Auro in future with the planned update. But for now he does not have that option: he must utilize SH for Auro as Height2 speakers--which was what I was trying to signal.

You said "can," vice "will be able," ergo my misinterpretation of your intent. S'all good.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
chi_guy50 is offline  
post #1958 of 5355 Old 08-15-2015, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,614
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked: 706
I have had my X7200WA for about 6 weeks now and have been very happy. I just replaced my PC-Ultra sub with dual PSA V1800s. Also about 2 months ago replaced RF-35s/RC35 with RP-280F / RC-62ii. I had Audyssey running decently with the single PC-Ultra, but have been struggling with Audy since getting the V1800. Trying to get some clarity around how Audy works on the newer Denons. My old 4311 the test tones were always 75db. The X7200WA seems to be based off MV. So I am finding that at MV 0 the test tones are around 74db, I would have expected them to be 85db, as isn't the MV on the Denon supposed to be 85db? Also I am finding the subs are being set too low. I tried my old 4311 MIC to make sure, but it seem to be about 3db more sensitive than the 7200 mic. During set up I have sub set to 85db during sw matching becasue any lower and the sub is basically off. Audy set the subs to -12db, yet when I ran my SPL after the subs were abotu 12-13db less than any of the mains. I had my RS SPL set to slow repose and at MV 0 the test tones from all the channels was around 74db, the sub was 61db, I have to crank it from -12 to 0 to get around 74db. Now everything sounds fine.

Room is 15 wide, 19 long and 8 foot ceilings with one 30 inches opening near rear and is under 2300 cu ft.
Is there issues with Audy on the 7200? Is it my 7200? Or is it something odd in my room, or are the dual powerful subs just confusing it.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dual V1800s.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	285.7 KB
ID:	888426   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sub at 95db.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	888434   Click image for larger version

Name:	sub at 85db.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	888442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Media Room.png
Views:	82
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	888450  

Sony 77A9G (Also XBR65X900E and XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
kluken is offline  
post #1959 of 5355 Old 08-15-2015, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
aaranddeeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lover's State
Posts: 4,079
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
I have had my X7200WA for about 6 weeks now and have been very happy. I just replaced my PC-Ultra sub with dual PSA V1800s. Also about 2 months ago replaced RF-35s/RC35 with RP-280F / RC-62ii. I had Audyssey running decently with the single PC-Ultra, but have been struggling with Audy since getting the V1800. Trying to get some clarity around how Audy works on the newer Denons. My old 4311 the test tones were always 75db. The X7200WA seems to be based off MV. So I am finding that at MV 0 the test tones are around 74db, I would have expected them to be 85db, as isn't the MV on the Denon supposed to be 85db? Also I am finding the subs are being set too low. I tried my old 4311 MIC to make sure, but it seem to be about 3db more sensitive than the 7200 mic. During set up I have sub set to 85db during sw matching becasue any lower and the sub is basically off. Audy set the subs to -12db, yet when I ran my SPL after the subs were abotu 12-13db less than any of the mains. I had my RS SPL set to slow repose and at MV 0 the test tones from all the channels was around 74db, the sub was 61db, I have to crank it from -12 to 0 to get around 74db. Now everything sounds fine.

Room is 15 wide, 19 long and 8 foot ceilings with one 30 inches opening near rear and is under 2300 cu ft.
Is there issues with Audy on the 7200? Is it my 7200? Or is it something odd in my room, or are the dual powerful subs just confusing it.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Audyssey has set your sub to -12.00
This is the indication that the sub gain on the sub is too high. Are you sure the sub level test passes in the beginning of the Audyssey setup? (or you are ignoring it's warning?).
aaranddeeman is offline  
post #1960 of 5355 Old 08-15-2015, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,614
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post
Audyssey has set your sub to -12.00
This is the indication that the sub gain on the sub is too high. Are you sure the sub level test passes in the beginning of the Audyssey setup? (or you are ignoring it's warning?).
Correct, I ignored it, but the sub was still more than 12db low even at -12db. Also the test tones are at 74db at MV 0, I thought they were supposed to be 85db? Also the mains are all over the place.

Sony 77A9G (Also XBR65X900E and XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
kluken is offline  
post #1961 of 5355 Old 08-15-2015, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
aaranddeeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lover's State
Posts: 4,079
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
Correct, I ignored it, but the sub was still more than 12db low even at -12db. Also the test tones are at 74db at MV 0, I thought they were supposed to be 85db? Also the mains are all over the place.
Why don't you attack on at a time. I suggest, re-run Audyssey by setting the sub to 75DB in the beginning (and not ignoring it).
See how that sounds and then may be we look at other parameters.
What do you mean by mains all over the place. Are you getting varying levels with multiple Audyssey runs at the same set of mic positions?
aaranddeeman is offline  
post #1962 of 5355 Old 08-15-2015, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,614
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post
Why don't you attack on at a time. I suggest, re-run Audyssey by setting the sub to 75DB in the beginning (and not ignoring it).
See how that sounds and then may be we look at other parameters.
What do you mean by mains all over the place. Are you getting varying levels with multiple Audyssey runs at the same set of mic positions?
I am going to try that again tomorrow, just seems odd sub is set to -12db and yet by SPL meter is is an additional 12 db lower than any other channel. I meant the mains seemed to get very negative. The other issue is to get the sub down near 75db during audy the gain is almost zero. I have some more testing to do in morning and want to run REW to see what the levels really are.

I guess I,was trying to confirm some things about how audy works on the newer Denons. On my old 4311 test tones were always 75db, now they are tied to MV which I think is rather odd.

Next I want to confirm what the test tones should be at when MV is 0, seems to be 75db, but I thought MV 0 was supposed to be 85db?

Sony 77A9G (Also XBR65X900E and XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
kluken is offline  
post #1963 of 5355 Old 08-16-2015, 02:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
timc1475's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Illinois USA
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
I have had my X7200WA for about 6 weeks now...

Room is 15 wide, 19 long and 8 foot ceilings with one 30 inches opening near rear and is under 2300 cu ft.
Is there issues with Audy on the 7200? Is it my 7200? Or is it something odd in my room, or are the dual powerful subs just confusing it.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
What config are you implementing 5.2 or 5.2.4 or 7.2.4? Is your 7200wa inside that cabinet pic? Like to see inside along with the fan setup. I will be in a similar situation when I upgrade to the 7200wa soon with tri subs. How to factor them in as I have one main sub in the rear of my room and two 1500 watt subs in each of my 2 front the BP7001SC's. Wonder how Audy factors 3 subs in?


My 10 year old Yamaha RX-Z7 can retain 4 individual sound EQ settings, albeit it's not "Audy", (Yamaha calls it something different) it still can retain 4 settings. Now if it only had all those new features...

At times I feel like the below statement wanting a 7.3.4 + 1 (being the VOG) Auro 3D & Atmos config changeable on the fly within the AVR retaining the 2 separate Audy settings instead of using a puter would be best...

(Some say it was a glitch or a ghost in the machine... but it was just an anomaly far from the general rule set that he endeavored before its due time)

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

Last edited by timc1475; 08-16-2015 at 03:21 AM.
timc1475 is offline  
post #1964 of 5355 Old 08-16-2015, 03:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,547
Mentioned: 757 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22885 Post(s)
Liked: 12508
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
I have had my X7200WA for about 6 weeks now and have been very happy. I just replaced my PC-Ultra sub with dual PSA V1800s. Also about 2 months ago replaced RF-35s/RC35 with RP-280F / RC-62ii. I had Audyssey running decently with the single PC-Ultra, but have been struggling with Audy since getting the V1800. Trying to get some clarity around how Audy works on the newer Denons. My old 4311 the test tones were always 75db. The X7200WA seems to be based off MV. So I am finding that at MV 0 the test tones are around 74db, I would have expected them to be 85db, as isn't the MV on the Denon supposed to be 85db? Also I am finding the subs are being set too low. I tried my old 4311 MIC to make sure, but it seem to be about 3db more sensitive than the 7200 mic. During set up I have sub set to 85db during sw matching becasue any lower and the sub is basically off. Audy set the subs to -12db, yet when I ran my SPL after the subs were abotu 12-13db less than any of the mains. I had my RS SPL set to slow repose and at MV 0 the test tones from all the channels was around 74db, the sub was 61db, I have to crank it from -12 to 0 to get around 74db. Now everything sounds fine.

Room is 15 wide, 19 long and 8 foot ceilings with one 30 inches opening near rear and is under 2300 cu ft.
Is there issues with Audy on the 7200? Is it my 7200? Or is it something odd in my room, or are the dual powerful subs just confusing it.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

1. The test tones on Denon AVRs have always been at 75db.
2. The Audyssey mics have an error rate of +/-2db.
3. No issues. Dual subs will simply provide about +6db more bass so not surprising they have to be dialed back to about 1 of 10 on the sub gain knob.
JBaumgart and timc1475 like this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1965 of 5355 Old 08-16-2015, 03:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,547
Mentioned: 757 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22885 Post(s)
Liked: 12508
Quote:
Originally Posted by timc1475 View Post
What config are you implementing 5.2 or 5.2.4 or 7.2.4? Is your 7200wa inside that cabinet pic? Like to see inside along with the fan setup. I will be in a similar situation with tri subs. How to factor them in as I have one main sub in the rear of my room and two 1500 watt subs in each of my 2 front the BP7001SC's. Wonder how Audy factors 3 subs in?

At times I feel like the below statement wanting a 7.3.4 + 1 (being the VOG) Auro 3D & Atmos config changeable on the fly with the AVR retaining the 2 separate Audy settings instead of using your puter = cool...

I wanted it all but they said no! lol Wonder what new must have sound formats they will entice us all with in late 2016? Alas I cannot wait.

(Some say it was a glitch or a ghost in the machine... but it was just an anomaly far from the general rule set that he endeavored before its due time)
You'll want to experiment using the two DT subs with the LFE connection and without using the LFE connection (although either way the DT speakers will be set to SMALL/60Hz or 80Hz after running Audyssey). Connect the rear sub to the sub pre-out #1 as you'll use that one regardless of whether you decide to use the DT subs or not. The two DT subs would be connected via a "Y" splitter cable from the Sub pre-out #2 . During the Audyssey setup, the two DT subs will be leveled at the same time so best to set their respective gain knobs to about 9 o'clock prior to running Audyssey. As long as the subs are set to something other than -12db, no further adjustment of the gain knob is required, otherwise, if the sub gets set to -12db, you'll want to lower each sub's gain knob to about 7 or 8 o'clock and then run Audyssey again. Note also that although the speaker/sub volume levels are set from the mic #1 position, you must run a minimum of 3 mic positions before you can save the results and check the sub setting. Once it's determined the sub has been set below -12db, run Audyssey again using all 8 mic positions with the #1 mic position placed at the center of where your seated head is located and the remaining 7 mic positions within no more than 1-2' radius from that #1 mic position.
timc1475 likes this.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 08-16-2015 at 03:24 AM.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1966 of 5355 Old 08-16-2015, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,614
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by timc1475 View Post
What config are you implementing 5.2 or 5.2.4 or 7.2.4? Is your 7200wa inside that cabinet pic? Like to see inside along with the fan setup. I will be in a similar situation when I upgrade to the 7200wa soon with tri subs. How to factor them in as I have one main sub in the rear of my room and two 1500 watt subs in each of my 2 front the BP7001SC's. Wonder how Audy factors 3 subs in?


My 10 year old Yamaha RX-Z7 can retain 4 individual sound EQ settings, albeit it's not "Audy", (Yamaha calls it something different) it still can retain 4 settings. Now if it only had all those new features...

At times I feel like the below statement wanting a 7.3.4 + 1 (being the VOG) Auro 3D & Atmos config changeable on the fly within the AVR retaining the 2 separate Audy settings instead of using a puter would be best...

(Some say it was a glitch or a ghost in the machine... but it was just an anomaly far from the general rule set that he endeavored before its due time)
Very basic 7.2 config.

Sony 77A9G (Also XBR65X900E and XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
kluken is offline  
post #1967 of 5355 Old 08-16-2015, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,614
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
1. The test tones on Denon AVRs have always been at 75db.
2. The Audyssey mics have an error rate of +/-2db.
3. No issues. Dual subs will simply provide about +6db more bass so not surprising they have to be dialed back to about 1 of 10 on the sub gain knob.
On my old 4311 the test tones were fixed at 75db, I though starting in 2014 or so the test tones are relative to current MV level because I can change MV and the test tones changes. Or are you saying at MV 0 the test tones will be 75db and then relative to MV from that point up or down?

Sony 77A9G (Also XBR65X900E and XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s

Last edited by kluken; 08-16-2015 at 05:34 AM.
kluken is offline  
post #1968 of 5355 Old 08-16-2015, 05:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,547
Mentioned: 757 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22885 Post(s)
Liked: 12508
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
On my old 4311 the test tones were fixed at 75db, I though starting in 2014 or so the test tones are relative to current MV level because I can change MV and the test tones changes. Or are you saying at MV 0 the test tones will be 75db and then relative to MV from that point up or down?
The test tone during the Audyssey setup is 75db. The Manual Setup - Test Tone volume is based on the master volume. At a master volume of 0db, the actual speaker db is likely to be somewhere between 75-80db as the Audyssey trim levels are not taken into consideration.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1969 of 5355 Old 08-16-2015, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,614
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The test tone during the Audyssey setup is 75db. The Manual Setup - Test Tone volume is based on the master volume. At a master volume of 0db, the actual speaker db is likely to be somewhere between 75-80db as the Audyssey trim levels are not taken into consideration.
That is what i am seeing, at MV test tones seem to be around 73-74db any MLP using my 11 year old RS SPL so that seem to be operating as expected. Thanks.

Sony 77A9G (Also XBR65X900E and XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
kluken is offline  
post #1970 of 5355 Old 08-16-2015, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 29,652
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4927 Post(s)
Liked: 5332
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The test tone during the Audyssey setup is 75db. The Manual Setup - Test Tone volume is based on the master volume. At a master volume of 0db, the actual speaker db is likely to be somewhere between 75-80db as the Audyssey trim levels are not taken into consideration.
That is what i am seeing, at MV test tones seem to be around 73-74db any MLP using my 11 year old RS SPL so that seem to be operating as expected. Thanks.
On the 85 vs 75 thing.

The "85db at reference" refers to average volume levels with movie content. "Reference" in terms of content is defined as 105db per channel (full scale) and average levels usually leave about 20db of headroom for peaks.

The test tones however are recorded at -30db from full scale. So by definition they should be 75db at reference. No relation to actual program content (other than the full scale reference point). With 1-2db of variance on SPL meters and the Audyssey mic (plus the fact that the internal tones don't use Audyssey EQ filters) it's not abnormal for things to be a few dB off from 75 as JD noted.
batpig is offline  
post #1971 of 5355 Old 08-16-2015, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ted99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,003
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 451
I've been using a Yamaha RX Z11 for about 8 years, or so (HDMI 1.2 vintage), with work-arounds like 2-output HDMI Blu Ray players. Been waiting for the new Codecs and latest HDMI specs (including HDR) to settle in so that I can go for another long run with a high end AVR. Seems to be about that time. Amazing what has happened with the price of ordinary people's high end AVR's. Half of what I paid 8 years, ago. I wonder if it's Class D amps and/or Moore's Law that can account for that?

Anyway, my question. The new Yamaha Adventage A 3050 has a feature called "reflected sound control" in it's EQ system which is advertised to compensate for the side reflection component of the arriving sound field at the listening position. This would be an important feature for me as I have moved from a suburban house with a dedicated rectangular HT to a downtown Condo where the viewing area is completely open on the right side. I have the speakers in for Dolby Atmos and DTS X, awaiting a new AVR with those Codecs. Does anyone have any idea if this YPAO feature is effective in my situation, and if any of the Audyssy EQ systems do the same thing?

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, FXiA4 Bi-pole sides,
LSiC CH, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.
Ted99 is online now  
post #1972 of 5355 Old 08-16-2015, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 29,652
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4927 Post(s)
Liked: 5332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post
I've been using a Yamaha RX Z11 for about 8 years, or so (HDMI 1.2 vintage), with work-arounds like 2-output HDMI Blu Ray players. Been waiting for the new Codecs and latest HDMI specs (including HDR) to settle in so that I can go for another long run with a high end AVR. Seems to be about that time. Amazing what has happened with the price of ordinary people's high end AVR's. Half of what I paid 8 years, ago. I wonder if it's Class D amps and/or Moore's Law that can account for that?

Anyway, my question. The new Yamaha Adventage A 3050 has a feature called "reflected sound control" in it's EQ system which is advertised to compensate for the side reflection component of the arriving sound field at the listening position. This would be an important feature for me as I have moved from a suburban house with a dedicated rectangular HT to a downtown Condo where the viewing area is completely open on the right side. I have the speakers in for Dolby Atmos and DTS X, awaiting a new AVR with those Codecs. Does anyone have any idea if this YPAO feature is effective in my situation, and if any of the Audyssy EQ systems do the same thing?
Audyssey claims to do the same thing (correct the time domain not just the frequency response). Many are skeptical theoretically that electronic EQ can ever do this.

The bottom line is that Audyssey is considered by nearly everyone to be a technically superior room correction system to YPAO. So if you are counting on miracles from auto EQ you have a better chance with Audyssey.

Not that Yamaha doesn't make a great product. Strictly focused on the room EQ syatems.
batpig is offline  
post #1973 of 5355 Old 08-16-2015, 11:05 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Getting close to purchasing the 7200 but may wait on the 6200. I am curious if anyone is using network attached storage to stream their music library wirelessly and, if so, how far away is your router and is it working well? What is the user interface like? Is it easy to use and does not work well? How do you manage play lists, etc. I am planning on using flac files - about 4500 songs/tracks.

Any chance we will get the silver option in the USA for the 7200 or 6200 or does Denon only think Europeans are capable of recognizing good style?
sidbinks is offline  
post #1974 of 5355 Old 08-16-2015, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
timc1475's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Illinois USA
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
You'll want to experiment using the two DT subs with the LFE connection and without using the LFE connection (although either way the DT speakers will be set to SMALL/60Hz or 80Hz after running Audyssey). Connect the rear sub to the sub pre-out #1 as you'll use that one regardless of whether you decide to use the DT subs or not. The two DT subs would be connected via a "Y" splitter cable from the Sub pre-out #2 . During the Audyssey setup, the two DT subs will be leveled at the same time so best to set their respective gain knobs to about 9 o'clock prior to running Audyssey. As long as the subs are set to something other than -12db, no further adjustment of the gain knob is required, otherwise, if the sub gets set to -12db, you'll want to lower each sub's gain knob to about 7 or 8 o'clock and then run Audyssey again. Note also that although the speaker/sub volume levels are set from the mic #1 position, you must run a minimum of 3 mic positions before you can save the results and check the sub setting. Once it's determined the sub has been set below -12db, run Audyssey again using all 8 mic positions with the #1 mic position placed at the center of where your seated head is located and the remaining 7 mic positions within no more than 1-2' radius from that #1 mic position.
I think I read in the 7200wa manual you can set the LFE signal to go also to your 2 front mains as part of the front signal, regardless if the LFE is connected? Would this be best or just use the Y splitter on sub out #2 ?

Also does the 7200wa have an extra system memory button for an additional Audy setting config (for 10.1 Auro 3d as an example) or just one. I find it odd my decade old AVR has 4 system memory configs and the newest baddest boy on the block has only one Audy memory config available AFAIK. OTOH it's all rather complex and I may not be reading it right?

I wish jdsmoothie lived next door, I'd pay him to just connect & configure it already. lol Unless there is a local that knows his stuff, although I can't recount how many times I paid others to screw things up that I had to do over myself albeit takes me thrice as long to correct & redo.

JD do you or your Denon rep know of anyone you can recommend in my area that could set up the 7200wa 100% correctly if I go that route? (in 61607 zip code)

Ref page #108 : http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset...asset_id=35585

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

Last edited by timc1475; 08-16-2015 at 12:16 PM.
timc1475 is offline  
post #1975 of 5355 Old 08-16-2015, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,614
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
On the 85 vs 75 thing.

The "85db at reference" refers to average volume levels with movie content. "Reference" in terms of content is defined as 105db per channel (full scale) and average levels usually leave about 20db of headroom for peaks.

The test tones however are recorded at -30db from full scale. So by definition they should be 75db at reference. No relation to actual program content (other than the full scale reference point). With 1-2db of variance on SPL meters and the Audyssey mic (plus the fact that the internal tones don't use Audyssey EQ filters) it's not abnormal for things to be a few dB off from 75 as JD noted.
Thanks, I just reran setup an made sure Audy was happy with subs during sw leveling step, both subs showed green at around 74-76db. The enclosed is the settings post audy. Using my RS SPL each main channel was around 73-74db as expected, but the subs were at 61db. Clearly either Audy is messed up as it does not matter which mic I use the subs always wind up around 61db. Breaking out laptop and REW now to see what it shows for sweeps and pink noise tests.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sub at 75db.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	296.6 KB
ID:	890010  

Sony 77A9G (Also XBR65X900E and XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
kluken is offline  
post #1976 of 5355 Old 08-16-2015, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,547
Mentioned: 757 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22885 Post(s)
Liked: 12508
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidbinks View Post
Getting close to purchasing the 7200 but may wait on the 6200. I am curious if anyone is using network attached storage to stream their music library wirelessly and, if so, how far away is your router and is it working well? What is the user interface like? Is it easy to use and does not work well? How do you manage play lists, etc. I am planning on using flac files - about 4500 songs/tracks.

Any chance we will get the silver option in the USA for the 7200 or 6200 or does Denon only think Europeans are capable of recognizing good style?
Only released in other regions of the world keeping in mind they generally pay more for the same model.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 08-16-2015 at 11:51 AM.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1977 of 5355 Old 08-16-2015, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,547
Mentioned: 757 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22885 Post(s)
Liked: 12508
Quote:
Originally Posted by timc1475 View Post
I think I read in the 7200wa manual you can set the LFE to go also to your 2 front mains regardless if the LFE is connected? Would this be best or just use the Y splitter on sub out #2 ?

Also does the 7200wa have an extra system memory button for an additional Audy setting config (for 10.1 Auro 3d as an example) or just one. I find it odd my decade old AVR has 4 and the newest baddest boy on the block has only one Aydy memory config available AFAIK. OTOH it's all rather complex and I may not be reading it right?

I wish jdsmoothie lived next door, I'd pay him to just connect & configure it already. lol Unless there is a local that knows his stuff, although I can't recount how many times I paid others to screw things up that I had to do over myself albeit takes me thrice as long to correct & redo.

JD do you or your Denon rep know of anyone you can recommend in my area that 100% would do it all correctly if I go that route? (in 61607 zip code)

Ref page #108 : http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset...asset_id=35585
1. Correct. All Denon models will pass the LFE to the FL/FR speakers when there is no dedicated sub connected.
2. Connecting the LFE cable gives you control of the sub volume levels, otherwise, if not connected, you can either set the DT speakers to LARGE or SMALL/60Hz. Worth trying both ways to determine which you prefer.
3. There's only one memory setting available on all Denon AVRs.
4. Sorry, no, but you can always get help here.
timc1475 likes this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1978 of 5355 Old 08-16-2015, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
timc1475's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Illinois USA
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post
I've been using a Yamaha RX Z11 for about 8 years, or so (HDMI 1.2 vintage), with work-arounds like 2-output HDMI Blu Ray players. Been waiting for the new Codecs and latest HDMI specs (including HDR) to settle in so that I can go for another long run with a high end AVR. Seems to be about that time. Amazing what has happened with the price of ordinary people's high end AVR's. Half of what I paid 8 years, ago. I wonder if it's Class D amps and/or Moore's Law that can account for that?

Anyway, my question. The new Yamaha Adventage A 3050 has a feature called "reflected sound control" in it's EQ system which is advertised to compensate for the side reflection component of the arriving sound field at the listening position. This would be an important feature for me as I have moved from a suburban house with a dedicated rectangular HT to a downtown Condo where the viewing area is completely open on the right side. I have the speakers in for Dolby Atmos and DTS X, awaiting a new AVR with those Codecs. Does anyone have any idea if this YPAO feature is effective in my situation, and if any of the Audyssy EQ systems do the same thing?
We are nearly in the same situation, the RX-11 was a beast in it's heyday. My RX-Z7 I decided to keep and use it to power the 2 RH in a 7.3.4 config with the 7200wa. Considering an external amp with equal power to match the other channel output of the 7200wa would cost nearly 400 buks the RX-Z7 will do fine outputting 140w per channel. Plus if I ever wish to add another zone or two or three, I can.

Yeah I could go with a 50w per channel mini amp like Audiosource 100 or 102 for 120 buks and figure the RH would never see full watts anyway in a surround setting, but I also like music with full DSU power available. When I spend over 2 - 3g for a new AVR my normal reasonable monetary restraint will be left far behind anyway.

Wish the RX-Z7 had an auto sense switch for on/off though. It does have a trigger out but not in. Otherwise I jux suppose I could get a remote with macro to turn them both on/off together. So did I just talk myself into buying a new remote too? SMH

Anyone have any recommendations for a nice trick remote using a touchscreen tablet interface? I heard they are great but have not yet had a tablet. I looked at the Irule app and the "Ray" remote but they are uncharted territory for me.

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

Last edited by timc1475; 08-16-2015 at 12:09 PM.
timc1475 is offline  
post #1979 of 5355 Old 08-16-2015, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,547
Mentioned: 757 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22885 Post(s)
Liked: 12508
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
Thanks, I just reran setup an made sure Audy was happy with subs during sw leveling step, both subs showed green at around 74-76db. The enclosed is the settings post audy. Using my RS SPL each main channel was around 73-74db as expected, but the subs were at 61db. Clearly either Audy is messed up as it does not matter which mic I use the subs always wind up around 61db. Breaking out laptop and REW now to see what it shows for sweeps and pink noise tests.
A RS SPL meter will generally not reliably measure low bass frequencies well, rather the SPL is better used to adjust up/down the sub volume level. Also, most owners will generally want to raise the sub level at least +5db (ie. -9db to -4db) in order to provide more bass response. My dual DT 300W subs measure about 58-60db at the main listening position.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1980 of 5355 Old 08-16-2015, 12:12 PM
Senior Member
 
peterfram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
A RS SPL meter will generally not reliably measure low bass frequencies well, rather the SPL is better used to adjust up/down the sub volume level. Also, most owners will generally want to raise the sub level at least +5db (ie. -9db to -4db) in order to provide more bass response. My dual DT 300W subs measure about 58-60db at the main listening position.
Also, isn't good practice during Audyssey calibration to set volume on the subs so that it is below the Audyssey 75db green level just before you start calibration? I always have my subs registering around 67 to 68db, below the 75db green target level, to keep Audyssey from setting them near -12db which could result in subs not detecting signal at low volume. That trick seems to result in Audyssey setting my subs near -2db to 0db. And usually sounds great, no manual adjustment needed after.
peterfram is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
AVR-X7200W

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off