Yamaha HTR 3063 putting out bad sound? Pic included - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-09-2014, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi all.  I'm a long time lurker, first time poster.  I have little experience with home AV and have been reading as much as I can lately.  I'm building my first system and need some help diagnosing an issue with my AVR.  I just bought a set of JBL ES80 speakers and think that I may have done some damage to my AVR by playing them too loud.

The issue is only on the right side of the system, right front and right surround.  I swapped front speakers and the issue stayed on the right side.  It's really noticeable when playing music as the sound is constant, but it sounds extremely muddy, and sounds like it drops power every few seconds.  If only vocals are coming out of the speaker, it sounds decent, but once the music comes in also, the vocals drop way down in quality and volume, as well as the music sounding distorted also.  I tried adjusting the setting on the AVR, and turned off the DRC.  The issue seems to also affect the sub slightly, almost like the power is dipping every few seconds.  I've tried searching all over the net, but haven't found anything.  Is this a fairly common issue?  Does it sound like a bad AVR?  Also, a few days ago I added a GE Surge protector pictured below.  Could this have something to do with it?  Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Additional question: If my AVR is responsible, could I just get an amplifier to power the front speakers and bypass the Yamaha?

Display: Samsung LN55C630 55" LCD 1080

AVR: Yamaha HTR 3063

Fronts: JBL ES80

Center: JBL ES25

Surround: Sony SS-B1000

Sub: Sony 10" SAW2500

Sources: Sony BDP-BX57, Buffalo 2TB external HD, PS 2, N64

Misc: Harmony 650, LED bias lighting, Monoprice 16AWG, GP banana plugs and wall mount

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-09-2014, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I would try a factory reset of the AVR. See if that helps--who knows, stranger things have happened. Good thinking switching the speakers. Have you also tried playing it without the surge protector? If nothing fixes the problem, though, then it does sound like you might have blown a cap or something. Unfortunately, that Yamaha doesn't have the capability to run an external amp. You do have the "Audio Out" jack but it outputs analog audio only, nothing digital. The HTR-3063 is the equivalent to an RX-V37x--i.e., the lowest-powered Yamaha. If you have to get a new receiver, it might be a good idea to step up to something with more power handling if you play your music that loud.

post #3 of 8 Old 06-09-2014, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII View Post

I would try a factory reset of the AVR. See if that helps--who knows, stranger things have happened. Good thinking switching the speakers. Have you also tried playing it without the surge protector? If nothing fixes the problem, though, then it does sound like you might have blown a cap or something. Unfortunately, that Yamaha doesn't have the capability to run an external amp. You do have the "Audio Out" jack but it outputs analog audio only, nothing digital. The HTR-3063 is the equivalent to an RX-V37x--i.e., the lowest-powered Yamaha. If you have to get a new receiver, it might be a good idea to step up to something with more power handling if you play your music that loud.

Thanks for the reply JBW.  It actually didn't dawn on me until I got to work today that I had recently added the surge protector also.  I'll play around with it tonight when I get home.  I knew my 3063 was pretty basic, but it's only 3 years old, so I wouldn't have thought it would go out so quickly.  I'll do some research on what "blowing a cap" (capacitor?) means.  LOL

Misc: Harmony 650, LED bias lighting, Monoprice 16AWG, GP banana plugs and wall mount

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-10-2014, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, so I swapped the surge protector and am still getting the same issue.  Movies sound fine.  We watched Baraka last night and couldn't really notice any dropping sound or distortion.  It's really only noticeable when playing music with lots of treble like rock and country.

post #5 of 8 Old 01-14-2020, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Bumping this old thread. Anyone know which ypoa mic I need for this Yammy 3063 reciever? Thanks!
post #6 of 8 Old 01-15-2020, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Bump please help!
post #7 of 8 Old 01-15-2020, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2252 Post(s)
Liked: 1485
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife2 View Post
Bumping this old thread. Anyone know which ypoa mic I need for this Yammy 3063 reciever? Thanks!
There is no YPAO mic with this model. Here is the manual so you can see for yourself.

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/downloa...063_manual.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HTR-3063 accessories.PNG
Views:	3
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	2670562  

Afro GT
post #8 of 8 Old 01-16-2020, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks alot for the response. I guess it has to be manually setup? I haven't set it up yet. I will this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page