This post is for informational purposes, but I'd be very curious if this has happened to others as well.
Tonight I watched "Finding Dory" on Blu-Ray. I have this setup: Oppo BDP-103D -- [HDMI out 1] ---> Marantz SR7009 [Blu-Ray input] --- [Monitor 1] ---> Sony VPL-HW55ES. My speaker setup is a standard 7.2 setup, amp'd from the Marantz, and powered subs.
Now for some inexplicable reason, Finding Dory has a Dolby DTS-HD High Resolution 5.1 track. (aka DTS-HD HR 5.1). It ALSO has a DTS-HD MA 7.1 track, but also for some inexplicable reason, my Oppo player picked the DTS-HD HR 5.1 track to play by default.
Anyhow, the show starts playing and there was no sound. I brought up the Marantz info box and it said that [Signal] was "Unknown". So I checked the audio track on The Oppo player, saw it was playing something I'd never seen (DTS-HD HR? What the heck is that?) I saw there was a DTS-HD MA 7.1 track also so I switched to that. Problem solved! And I was glad in a way since the 7.1 lossless track would be my preference anyway.
But afterward I wanted to figure out what this mysterious format was that didn't work on my Marantz SR7009. I read up and found that DTS-HD HR is a step up from DTS (used on DVDs), putting additional data on DTS core track. However, it isn't as nice as DTS-HD MA. I also read that it is extremely RARE, and the place I was looking said they knew of no BluRays that used this format.
Hey everybody! I found one! The recently released Finding Dory movie! And it broke my receiver!
What was odd was that it said if the receiver doesn't support it, it should just recognize the DTS core and be happy. The Marantz wasn't.
So here's what I learned.
1) The Marantz manual says it DOES support DTS-HD High Resolution (shows as DTS-HD HI RES on the info screen)
2) My Marantz doesn't recognize the bitstream when I start video with DTS-HD Hi-Res track. It goes silent and says "Unknown".
3) If I change input settings on Marantz to "DTS" from "Auto" it doesn't work still.
4) If I change output settings on Oppo player from Auto to "Bitstream only" it doesn't work.
5) It DOES work if I start the video stream, then power cycle the Marantz, turning it on in the middle of the DTS-HD HR audio. Then it locks on and shows DTS-HD HI RES on the info screen. Success!
6) It DOES work if I start the video stream, then on the OPPO switch to LPCM (i.e. Oppo decodes the DTS-HD HR and sends LPCM 7.1 stream), then switch the Oppo BACK to Bitstream (or Auto). Then it locks on to the DTS-HD HI RES stream without power cycling the SR7009. (this is better than #5
in my opinion)
7) Changing the Oppo to LPCM output works too (as mentioned in #6)
, as the Oppo decodes DTS-HD HR just fine and delivers lossless channelized 7.1 to the Marantz.
So - a weird and quirky bug on the Marantz, with a satisfactory workaround. I was curious if anyone had seen this, and also wanted to post this in case anyone runs into it and comes searching for workarounds.