Marantz SR7009 Owner's Thread - Page 106 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1006Likes

post #3151 of 3530 Old 03-13-2017, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 746 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22734 Post(s)
Liked: 12381
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesplitter View Post
Good point about it being nice to use the Marantz internal DAC. I also discovered over this weekend that the Marantz SR7009 does not support 5.1 FLAC - the AVR instead plays as 2-channel stereo. Is connecting a pc/laptop via HDMI the common solution to playing 5.1 FLAC ? Does the SR7011 support multi-channel FLAC ?
1. Yup.
2. Nope, not streaming or USB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 3530 Old 03-21-2017, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Trouble with ARC (Audio Return)

After having purchased a new Samsung UN65KS9500 UHD TV, I am trying to get the Audio Return Channel setup on both the TV and my Marantz 7009 receiver. When I try and stream a You Tube video thru the TV App, I do not get any audio thru my receiver. I have purchased a new certified HDMI cable but still no luck. Has anyone had any luck with ARC, any ideas that I may try in terms of setup?

Thanks,
Rkeeney

Robert K.
post #3153 of 3530 Old 03-22-2017, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkeeney View Post
After having purchased a new Samsung UN65KS9500 UHD TV, I am trying to get the Audio Return Channel setup on both the TV and my Marantz 7009 receiver. When I try and stream a You Tube video thru the TV App, I do not get any audio thru my receiver. I have purchased a new certified HDMI cable but still no luck. Has anyone had any luck with ARC, any ideas that I may try in terms of setup?

Thanks,
Rkeeney
Samsung TVs more often than not have issues with HDMI(ARC). Using an optical cable from the TV to the AVR is the more reliable option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3154 of 3530 Old 03-22-2017, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Is streaming YouTube the only app you dont get audio on thru ARC? If its across the board with anything on the TV, check the Samsung's menu settings very carefully. From what I recall, you need to activate ARC.

And no, you dont always have to use the optical cable. I got it working a few years ago.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5012 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 10" Sub
TiVO Premiere
post #3155 of 3530 Old 03-22-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post
Is streaming YouTube the only app you dont get audio on thru ARC? If its across the board with anything on the TV, check the Samsung's menu settings very carefully. From what I recall, you need to activate ARC.

And no, you dont always have to use the optical cable. I got it working a few years ago.
Thank you Scott. I found the one step on configuring the TV Audio to an HDMI input that I hadn't done. Once I did that, it started working very nicely.

Thanks,

Robert K.
post #3156 of 3530 Old 04-12-2017, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Well mine finally died. I posted in December about random power cycling. The issue went away for a month or so but then started happening intermittently and now it happens all the time. Nearest service center is 60 miles away but still better than paying for shipping.

This is super frustrating.

I had a top of the line Onkyo several years ago that had the now famous HDMI board failures. Lasted 18 months. The refurb they sent me lasted less than a year. I decided to try Marantz and I got 2.5 years. It amazes me that a $2000 piece of equipment can't last. My budget Samsung 720 plasma is nearly 10 years old and going strong. The only equipment failures I've had in my theater have been the AVRS, the most expensive part. And I'm not using these things daily. Once a week during football season, maybe 2-3x a month after that.

Hopefully the repaired 7009 can get me another year before I have too look at another one.

At least my oppo 103 can drive my 5 channel outlaw amp and PJ so I can limp along until I'm repaired, hopefully in time for football season.
post #3157 of 3530 Old 04-15-2017, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Using my sr7009 with the xbox one s ultra uhd blu-ray player?

I recently purchased an sr7009. It's great but i'm having an issue using it with the xbox one s ultra uhd blu-ray player.
I cannot figure out how to get 4k HDR and dolby atmos at the same time from the uhd blu-ray player that's inside the xbox one s. Is this at all possible?

Interestingly, i can get either one to work by itself - just not both simultaneously!
If i connect my xbox directly to my TV and use the hdmi audio return channel (ARC) to feed audio to my sr7009, then i can play a uhd blu-ray and get 4k HDR on my TV. But to get dolby atmos sound from the xbox, i need to enable audio bitstreaming, and if i do that i get no sound through this configuration via HDMI ARC.

If, on the other hand, i connect my xbox hdmi out to my sr7009 (and then connect my sr7009 to my TV), i can get dolby atmos sound from uhd blu-ray discs played on the xbox one s, if i enable audio bitstreaming (this is a new feature for the xbox based on a new software update for it). But, with this setup, the hdmi video signal to the TV is only 1080p (instead of 4k) and there is no HDR either. I'm no expert, but from what i've read, i gather that this video issue is because the sr7009 support neither HDCP 2.2 which is needed for 4k source material (more important?) nor HDMI 2.0a which is needed for 4k (60Hz) HDR.

So it seems that when playing a UHD blu-ray i can (depending on my configuration) get 4k HDR video OR dolby atmos audio but not both! Is there a work around? Can I just split the HDMI out from by xbox one s (i.e. my blu-ray player) with a splitter cable or splitter box of some sort and send on input to my TV and one input to my sr7009?? I know that most stand-alone UDH blu-ray players have two HDMI outputs: 1 for video and 1 for audio (presumably to alleviate issues like the one i'm having). Or any other solution?
post #3158 of 3530 Old 04-15-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith77777 View Post
I recently purchased an sr7009. It's great but i'm having an issue using it with the xbox one s ultra uhd blu-ray player.
I cannot figure out how to get 4k HDR and dolby atmos at the same time from the uhd blu-ray player that's inside the xbox one s. Is this at all possible?

Interestingly, i can get either one to work by itself - just not both simultaneously!
If i connect my xbox directly to my TV and use the hdmi audio return channel (ARC) to feed audio to my sr7009, then i can play a uhd blu-ray and get 4k HDR on my TV. But to get dolby atmos sound from the xbox, i need to enable audio bitstreaming, and if i do that i get no sound through this configuration via HDMI ARC.

If, on the other hand, i connect my xbox hdmi out to my sr7009 (and then connect my sr7009 to my TV), i can get dolby atmos sound from uhd blu-ray discs played on the xbox one s, if i enable audio bitstreaming (this is a new feature for the xbox based on a new software update for it). But, with this setup, the hdmi video signal to the TV is only 1080p (instead of 4k) and there is no HDR either. I'm no expert, but from what i've read, i gather that this video issue is because the sr7009 support neither HDCP 2.2 which is needed for 4k source material (more important?) nor HDMI 2.0a which is needed for 4k (60Hz) HDR.

So it seems that when playing a UHD blu-ray i can (depending on my configuration) get 4k HDR video OR dolby atmos audio but not both! Is there a work around? Can I just split the HDMI out from by xbox one s (i.e. my blu-ray player) with a splitter cable or splitter box of some sort and send on input to my TV and one input to my sr7009?? I know that most stand-alone UDH blu-ray players have two HDMI outputs: 1 for video and 1 for audio (presumably to alleviate issues like the one i'm having). Or any other solution?
Sorry, but not possible to pass 4k/UHD video to the 2014 SR7009 as only the 2015 (ie. SR7010) and newer models are 4k/HDMI 2.0a(HDR)/HDCP 2.2. The work around is to pass the 4k/UHD video directly to the TV and audio only to the AVR.
post #3159 of 3530 Old 04-15-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith77777 View Post

msmith77777

I also own a Marantz SR7009, and was checking into how to how up an xbox one s to my receiver and 4k TV. The only solution that I was able to come up with was to purchase an HD Fury Integral. Check out Post 3959 on Page 132 for the response that I got from HD Fury.

Thanks,
abs and msmith77777 like this.

Robert K.
post #3160 of 3530 Old 04-17-2017, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

I'll update my repair: got a call from the 'local' repair facility. Main board out. New parts are back ordered for months and so they are shipping me a refurb. Gets here tomorrow. I'm not seeing a ton of issues on this thread but if the part it back ordered I wonder how widespread it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3161 of 3530 Old 04-18-2017, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Refurb showed up

post #3162 of 3530 Old 04-18-2017, 11:56 AM
abs

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rprice54 View Post
Refurb showed up

Result. .nice one. .which they'd give me a 7011...

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
post #3163 of 3530 Old 04-20-2017, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rl1856 View Post
Video Drop Outs. I experience random video drop outs when watching cable tv. Video will go to black for about 1 sec, then return. Audio sometimes drops out, sometimes not- but there is a brief hiccup. Problem is random. Several times in an hour, then nothing for several hours or days. From looking at the thread history it seems that others have experienced the same problem, but no consensus cause or cure....

My setup is Comcast cable --> Comcast/Xfinity box--> HDMI to SR7009 --> HDMI to Samsung LCD The receiver is set up to manage all video sources.

I just stumbled across this post (yes, I know it's a few months old), but I was experiencing this same problem with my setup, and wasn't sure if it was my Marantz 7009 or my Comcast / Xfinity box...

but, oddly enough, I recently wall mounted my TV (previously sitting on top of the tv stand) and don't recall having this problem since (about a month ago), which would lend credibility to the hdmi cable's theory... are you still having problems? or were you able to identify / resolve the problem?

Thanks
post #3164 of 3530 Old 05-25-2017, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 55
No video output during airplay music on Marantz sr7009

I have the Marantz SR7009 and iPhone 6s Plus. When playing music via airplay the music art came on the tv with the controls too. I got the receiver ui too if I wanted.

Now there's no video and far as I know nothing's changed. Music still works fine but no video. No receiver ui. No nothing.

What gives (((((((

Thanks.
post #3165 of 3530 Old 05-25-2017, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2196 Post(s)
Liked: 1454
AVR's with Airplay are audio only. All of them. If you want to stream video with Airplay you need to add an Apple TV.

Afro GT

Last edited by afrogt; 05-25-2017 at 06:27 PM.
post #3166 of 3530 Old 05-25-2017, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I never said stream video.

When you airplay the album cover shows on the tv as do the playback controls. And you see the vol on screen when you change it. And you can bring up the receiver ui.

None of this happens now. The receiver totally loses connection to the tv. And it's weird cus this just started to happen.

Last edited by buggs1a; 05-25-2017 at 08:35 PM.
post #3167 of 3530 Old 05-25-2017, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2196 Post(s)
Liked: 1454
^^Have you tried doing a processor reset? You'll lose all your calibration and input settings but it might resolve your problem.

Afro GT
post #3168 of 3530 Old 05-25-2017, 11:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

No I haven't even thought of that. Good idea. Fortunately there's nothing to lose as I haven't calibrated or done anything since I moved.
But then I have no idea how to reset it.
Thank u so much for the question/suggestion.
post #3169 of 3530 Old 05-26-2017, 02:13 AM

Network reset

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a View Post
No I haven't even thought of that. Good idea. Fortunately there's nothing to lose as I haven't calibrated or done anything since I moved.
But then I have no idea how to reset it.
Thank u so much for the question/suggestion.
The first troubleshooting step to perform would be a "soft reset" which simply involves powering off the AVR, pulling the power cord and HDMI cable connecting the AVR to the TV for 10 minutes. Doing this involves no loss of settings.

If still no joy, then you can perform a "Network reset" which requires pressing/holding the "MOVIE" and "MUSIC" buttons on the front panel for about 5 seconds while powering on the AVR.
post #3170 of 3530 Old 05-26-2017, 11:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^^^ Thanks all. It's working again. Whew.
post #3171 of 3530 Old 06-01-2017, 11:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieF View Post
Thanks JD. It turned out to be that the Oppo only supports DSD over HDMI on its second output. Hooked up another cable to the HDMI CD input and there it is.

I'm impressed with this receiver so far (after 2 days). All the wrinkles I've run into so far turned out to be due to the connected equipment and I've managed to resolve. Even the widely panned remote app is better than I expected.
I have a Marantz SR7009. I am trying an SACD with an Oppo BDP-103D. It has Stereo and 5.0 DSD. I have bass management on, not PureDirect mode, because it's an organ SACD, so I need the subwoofer.

I quoted the above because I am using HDMI 1, and the Marantz confirms it is receiving DSD. Maybe the 103D is different from the 103/105 in that respect? Even the Oppo site says I have to use HDMI2.

But the Marantz says "DSD" as the audio source. If I set it to direct, it even says "DSD Direct". So I figure I must be getting it over HDMI 1...??

Hardware and System engineer. Enjoy theaters, automation, media and the outdoors.
Love the hobby, but always have to remember to keep family first!
"The Escape Pod" - First Theater Build
post #3172 of 3530 Old 06-02-2017, 12:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielrg View Post
I have a Marantz SR7009. I am trying an SACD with an Oppo BDP-103D. It has Stereo and 5.0 DSD. I have bass management on, not PureDirect mode, because it's an organ SACD, so I need the subwoofer.

I quoted the above because I am using HDMI 1, and the Marantz confirms it is receiving DSD. Maybe the 103D is different from the 103/105 in that respect? Even the Oppo site says I have to use HDMI2.

But the Marantz says "DSD" as the audio source. If I set it to direct, it even says "DSD Direct". So I figure I must be getting it over HDMI 1...??
Sorry I guess this is more of an Oppo question... but if anyone knows what's up I won't mind being told :-) I started the question in here because I thought DSD streaming was having issues with pops/squeaks. Turned out it was the recording itself, it happened on all formats on the SACD (DSD and PCM, 2.0 and 5.0)

Hardware and System engineer. Enjoy theaters, automation, media and the outdoors.
post #3173 of 3530 Old 06-02-2017, 12:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony M View Post
thank you for your reply it has worked in HDMI 2 but only limited to 88.2khz not full data of 2.8! if it matters i am running only 1 HDMI cable for both video and audio.
I also had a question on this comment. How does one know it is limited to 88.2 kHz? Where in the SR7009 displays (on screen or front of unit) does it show the rate of DSD being received?

post #3174 of 3530 Old 06-15-2017, 12:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked: 2494
Marantz 7009 Reference MV Setting

Is 0db on the MV considered Reference? I have the volume setting scale set to -79.5db to 18db. Thanks in advance for any reply.
post #3175 of 3530 Old 06-15-2017, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butny View Post
Is 0db on the MV considered Reference? I have the volume setting scale set to -79.5db to 18db. Thanks in advance for any reply.
Yes.
post #3176 of 3530 Old 06-15-2017, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked: 2494
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Yes.
Thank you.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000S Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7013 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 monoblocks, 7.4.2 Atmos, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, 2 Volt 6 Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, 2 LaVoce 21inch Neo DIY subs and 2 PSA S3600I'S.
post #3177 of 3530 Old 06-18-2017, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Already posted in Denon thread, but unfortunately still cannot PM

@mecmec

I have a question since I saw you had Denon 4520 at some point, then moved on to Marantz SR7009 and so on.

I'm looking at used AVRs, can get these 2 at the same price. Primary focus is stereo listening, with 5.1 for movies. Not sure I would in the future go for Atmos (it's not a dedicated HT room but a living room).

What would you recommend? My concern is all the stuff I read about heating issues on Denon, while Marantz does not seem to be having any (as I don't plan on replacing the unit any time soon, maybe Marantz would be a better choice reliability-wise)?

Thanks in advance for any comment!
post #3178 of 3530 Old 06-18-2017, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 220
The 4520 would be my choice for stereo only, but I would still invest in a active cooling system for either. A couple of squirrel cage fans are cheap protection for whatever avr you go with....
post #3179 of 3530 Old 06-18-2017, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Thanks a lot - care to elaborate your experience/impressions? Reading some posts I was under the impression that people preferred SR7009 for stereo music listening and 4520 for HT surround...
post #3180 of 3530 Old 06-19-2017, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Liked: 2850
Quote:
Originally Posted by fructal View Post
Already posted in Denon thread, but unfortunately still cannot PM

@mecmec

I have a question since I saw you had Denon 4520 at some point, then moved on to Marantz SR7009 and so on.

I'm looking at used AVRs, can get these 2 at the same price. Primary focus is stereo listening, with 5.1 for movies. Not sure I would in the future go for Atmos (it's not a dedicated HT room but a living room).

What would you recommend? My concern is all the stuff I read about heating issues on Denon, while Marantz does not seem to be having any (as I don't plan on replacing the unit any time soon, maybe Marantz would be a better choice reliability-wise)?

Thanks in advance for any comment!
Marantz' hardware has essentially same design as Denon's, so they have exactly the same heating problems. Maybe people just don't bother writing about it. Either they need lots of open space (several inches on all sides) or they need external fans.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
media mode , second sub , SR7009 , svs 20-39 , usb dac

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page