Marantz SR7009 Owner's Thread - Page 117 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1001Likes

post #3481 of 3513 Old 02-13-2019, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Mouse View Post
in the end my strong believe is: you get much higher immersive surround sound quality with less speakers which are wisely chosen for their location as well as the locations themselves.
I guess I'll jump into this topic with somewhat limited experience. I'm coming from a 9.1 setup. In my space I really thought the wide speakers added a lot to the sound field. For this reason I hunted for an Atmos based system that would handle wides. Very limited selection that is affordable, settled on the 7010. But as the starter of this topic indicated you cannot get all the speakers all the time. But living with a 9.1.4 system for the past few weeks I find the wides are not missed at all when listening to an Atmos sound track. My setup is not ideal but the audio field with the .4 speakers is impressive.

I have not settled on a default listening mode for non-Atmos content, of which there is lot, and I find myself using the wides in that situation, but with Atmos I can honestly say I do not miss them - but I have zero experience with a system that can enable them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3482 of 3513 Old 02-25-2019, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Monitor1 and monitor2 interaction

Hello,
i was loosing picture on my projector out of monitor 1 because of the tv plugged in monitor2. If i disconnect the tv or force the output to monitor1 instead of auto all is well with the projector. I thought of connecting the TV to zone2 but i couldn't find out how to select what plays out of Zone2. Is zone 2 mirror Zone1 ?
post #3483 of 3513 Old 02-26-2019, 01:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 689 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21824 Post(s)
Liked: 11822
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubxf View Post
Hello,
i was loosing picture on my projector out of monitor 1 because of the tv plugged in monitor2. If i disconnect the tv or force the output to monitor1 instead of auto all is well with the projector. I thought of connecting the TV to zone2 but i couldn't find out how to select what plays out of Zone2. Is zone 2 mirror Zone1 ?
Using the remote, you can power on Zone 2 and then select a source to play to Zone 2. It can be either a different HDMI source or the same source that is playing to the main zone; however, when playing the same source as the main zone, and if the resolution of the TV is lower than the PJ (eg. 1080p vs. 4k), then the main zone video would be down rez'd to 1080p as well. Additionally, (again when playing the same source), if the TV can only accept 2CH stereo audio, then the main zone would be down mixed to stereo as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3484 of 3513 Old 02-26-2019, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Using the remote, you can power on Zone 2 and then select a source to play to Zone 2. It can be either a different HDMI source or the same source that is playing to the main zone; however, when playing the same source as the main zone, and if the resolution of the TV is lower than the PJ (eg. 1080p vs. 4k), then the main zone video would be down rez'd to 1080p as well. Additionally, (again when playing the same source), if the TV can only accept 2CH stereo audio, then the main zone would be down mixed to stereo as well.
Thanks JD now i understand better how the 7009 works. In my case i found out that one of the hdmi wasn't plugged in all the way from monitor2 to a splitter going to 2 TV and that was taking down the whole system.
Nice head up if TV is plugged in only stereo sound. I'm glad the PJ doesn't make it mono
post #3485 of 3513 Old 03-10-2019, 06:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi all, My Marantz SR7009 was working perfect until yesterday. Today by mistake I clicked ok to the annoying Firmware Update message and after the update my unit would Power On and Off continuously. Has anyone come across this issue? If so could you kindly share how to fix this issue.

I tried resetting the unit by pressing the Game and A-DSX key while powering On but that didn’t help either.

Experts please help
post #3486 of 3513 Old 03-10-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinothkumarb View Post
Hi all, My Marantz SR7009 was working perfect until yesterday. Today by mistake I clicked ok to the annoying Firmware Update message and after the update my unit would Power On and Off continuously. Has anyone come across this issue? If so could you kindly share how to fix this issue.

I tried resetting the unit by pressing the Game and A-DSX key while powering On but that didn’t help either.

Experts please help
Try doing a "Network Reset" instead by pressing/holding the "MOVIE" and "MUSIC" buttons while powering on the AVR.
post #3487 of 3513 Old 03-10-2019, 07:17 AM

Hi there, thanks for your suggestion I tried that too but still the same issue. It powers On and after 10seconds powers Off and repeats the same
post #3488 of 3513 Old 03-10-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Hi there, thanks for your suggestion I tried that too but still the same issue. It powers On and after 10seconds powers Off and repeats the same
Try powering off the AVR and unplugging the power cord for 10 minutes. If you have a "wired" connection, disconnect the ethernet cable until the unit is able to stay powered on and you can do the initial setup again. Then do the "Network Reset" again a few times in a row, one right after the other.
post #3489 of 3513 Old 03-11-2019, 01:56 AM

Hi Jds,

I disconnected all the cables from my receiver and powered off for an hour and tried both Network Reset and Resetting the complete unit to Factory settings. I'm still facing the constant on/off cycle issue.
post #3490 of 3513 Old 03-11-2019, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Hi Jds,

I disconnected all the cables from my receiver and powered off for an hour and tried both Network Reset and Resetting the complete unit to Factory settings. I'm still facing the constant on/off cycle issue.
The suggestions I have provided are just standard troubleshooting suggestions that would be tried when any strange issue presents, not necessarily what your unit is experiencing. If all cables (to include speaker wires) have been disconnected from the AVR with the only cable connected now being the SR7009 power cable … the final troubleshooting step prior to replacing the unit would be to unplug the power cord and leave it unplugged overnight. Plug it in the next day and try powering on the unit one last time using the "Network Reset" procedure. If yet still no joy, time to consider purchasing a new, more current model, possibly considering one of the 2017 models that have been on clearance (eg. SR7012, SR6012) that are 4k/HDCP 2.2 capable as the SR7009 is not 4k/HDCP 2.2 capable if you plan on purchasing a 4k TV.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 03-11-2019 at 03:20 AM.
post #3491 of 3513 Old 03-18-2019, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
...If yet still no joy, time to consider purchasing a new, more current model...
As a gear head, I love getting new stuff as much as anybody, but it would be a shame if the SR7009 could not be re-purposed as a standalone amp. Most receivers can't power 4 atmos speakers without extra help, or maybe an amp for the kids first nice stereo system. If only manufacturers could design the system to bypass the fancy processing when they ultimately fail.

U-Turn Orbit Plus turntable, Marantz SR-7009 AVR, iNuke 6000DSP, DIY LinkwitzLab speakers, MartyCube + JohnnySub, BenQ W1070, Roku stick, Plex
post #3492 of 3513 Old 03-19-2019, 12:24 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question

When you say it is constantly powering on and off, do you mean the power LED is flashing, or something different?

I updated firmware recently, and a number of days later mine has gone into the protection mode (power LED flashing twice a second, turns on when pressing power, but turns off automatically after about 10s). I've disconnected all cables, done both the reset procedures, left power disconnected for a few hours and tried again, but still the same thing. I'm pretty sure there was no external short leading to this as my speaker cables have insulated banana plugs and look good (no stray strands). The unit is "as new" and in cool, dust free conditions. It happened after listening for a few hours at very low level with just 2 Dynaudio X12s connected.

I'm wondered if it is economically viable to get this repaired. There is a Marantz approved repair shop within driving distance so I could avoid the shipping.

Jamie
post #3493 of 3513 Old 03-19-2019, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieF View Post
When you say it is constantly powering on and off, do you mean the power LED is flashing, or something different?

I updated firmware recently, and a number of days later mine has gone into the protection mode (power LED flashing twice a second, turns on when pressing power, but turns off automatically after about 10s). I've disconnected all cables, done both the reset procedures, left power disconnected for a few hours and tried again, but still the same thing. I'm pretty sure there was no external short leading to this as my speaker cables have insulated banana plugs and look good (no stray strands). The unit is "as new" and in cool, dust free conditions. It happened after listening for a few hours at very low level with just 2 Dynaudio X12s connected.

I'm wondered if it is economically viable to get this repaired. There is a Marantz approved repair shop within driving distance so I could avoid the shipping.
Depends on how much of a back log the local repair shop has as it can sometimes take weeks to repair in some cases vs. a few days at the factory repair facility United Radio, Syracuse, NY. So compare "no shipping" vs. possibly "quicker turnaround." Also, depending on when you purchased your unit, and if purchased with a credit card, the card issuer may add an additional 1 year of warranty such that if purchased less than 4 years ago, it would still be covered for warranty repair.

Otherwise if not covered under warranty, considering the unit is only worth about $500, rather than putting $200-$300 into repair, you may want to consider upgrading to a more current model that can do 4k/HDCP 2.2.
post #3494 of 3513 Old 03-19-2019, 11:46 PM

Thanks for the response. I'm pretty sure it's OOW as bought in 2004, dealer warranty expired 2017. I'm not so concerned about a wait as I'm only using it as a stereo amp at the moment and have an old one I can substitute. Given that its 5 years old and things have moved on (HDMI, DTS:X,...) I don't want to spend a lot on a repair that could go towards a new unit. It's had very light usage, so it's a bit disappointing to have a failure like this on a pretty expensive piece of kit. Lets hope its not linked to the firmware update, otherwise others might see something similar.

Jamie
post #3495 of 3513 Old 03-21-2019, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 323
So I’m hoping someone here can help, or maybe had the same issue. Has anyone ever gone into manual speaker set up on their Marantz and the test tones for the subs are nearly inaudible? Everything performs fine and when running Audyssey but when I adjust the subs manually the tones barely register on an SPL meter. Anyone ever hear of or have this issue?
Thanks in advance.

Vizio M75
Denon AVR-X4300
Polk Audio RTi8's, CSi5, RTi6's, OWM3's
SVSound PB13 Ultra x 2 (Rosenut), PC-Ultra(TV12), PC12+
Sony X800
post #3496 of 3513 Old 03-21-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNestico View Post
So I’m hoping someone here can help, or maybe had the same issue. Has anyone ever gone into manual speaker set up on their Marantz and the test tones for the subs are nearly inaudible? Everything performs fine and when running Audyssey but when I adjust the subs manually the tones barely register on an SPL meter. Anyone ever hear of or have this issue?
Thanks in advance.
Sub test tones are generally felt rather than heard as is the case with the speaker test tones. As "everything performs fine and when running Audyssey", this is a non-issue.
altpensacola likes this.
post #3497 of 3513 Old 03-21-2019, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Sub test tones are generally felt rather than heard as is the case with the speaker test tones. As "everything performs fine and when running Audyssey", this is a non-issue.
Well, where it may become an issue is if I decide to add my two other subwoofers to my system I’ll need to be able to have audible test tones to level match all four subs before I run Auddyssey. Is there any way to run the Audyssey level matching tool with out completely rerunning Audyssey?

Vizio M75
Denon AVR-X4300
Sony X800
post #3498 of 3513 Old 03-21-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNestico View Post
Well, where it may become an issue is if I decide to add my two other subwoofers to my system I’ll need to be able to have audible test tones to level match all four subs before I run Auddyssey. Is there any way to run the Audyssey level matching tool with out completely rerunning Audyssey?
1. If you want louder Manual Setup test tones, then simply raise the master volume level. During the Audyssey setup, the test tones are raised to 75dB.
2. No. Audyssey must be run in full when adding the new subs. Note that the purpose of Audyssey Sub EQ HT is to level match the subs.
post #3499 of 3513 Old 03-21-2019, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
1. If you want louder Manual Setup test tones, then simply raise the master volume level. During the Audyssey setup, the test tones are raised to 75dB.
2. No. Audyssey must be run in full when adding the new subs. Note that the purpose of Audyssey Sub EQ HT is to level match the subs.
Ah! I knew I was missing something.... so I should set the master volume at 0.0dB to run my manual test tones? Because if I run 4 subs I’m going to have to use manual test tones before I run Audyssey in order to level match each pair of subs that’s hooked together before Audyssey calibrates them as a pair. My plan is to daisy chain two together from the sub1 output and then the other two from the sub two output.

Vizio M75
Denon AVR-X4300
Sony X800
post #3500 of 3513 Old 04-04-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieF View Post

Update: this seems to have fixed itself. I did a final test just before boxing up to take in for repair, and hey presto, it works. For a few days it didn't work, now it does. Let's hope this doesn't come back.
darrob104 likes this.

Jamie
post #3501 of 3513 Old 04-21-2019, 01:23 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I´ve got an atmos set up in my dedicated room and I use a PM6005 to power height 2 (can´t remember if they are front or back atmos) and now I´m thinking of upgrading my L/R speakers getting a pair of Focal Aria 948´s and power these with an Emotiva power amp.
My first choice is to get the 2 or 3 channel XPA DR2 (or DR3) to power the Focal´s, but as I don´t have any free space for both the Emotiva and PM6005 I´ve also thought of getting a XPA-5 to power L/C/R and height 2.
The question is, if I get a 3 channel XPA DR3 to power all 3 front speakers will the DSR7009 be able to power the 4 surround + 4 atmos?
And if not, do the more modern models have the possibility to power these channels?
Don´t really want to upgrade the SR7009 yet, but will probably have to in a future when I get a 4k/HDR proyector

Thanks!!
post #3502 of 3513 Old 04-21-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Hi View Post
Hi, I´ve got an atmos set up in my dedicated room and I use a PM6005 to power height 2 (can´t remember if they are front or back atmos) and now I´m thinking of upgrading my L/R speakers getting a pair of Focal Aria 948´s and power these with an Emotiva power amp.
My first choice is to get the 2 or 3 channel XPA DR2 (or DR3) to power the Focal´s, but as I don´t have any free space for both the Emotiva and PM6005 I´ve also thought of getting a XPA-5 to power L/C/R and height 2.
The question is, if I get a 3 channel XPA DR3 to power all 3 front speakers will the DSR7009 be able to power the 4 surround + 4 atmos?
And if not, do the more modern models have the possibility to power these channels?
Don´t really want to upgrade the SR7009 yet, but will probably have to in a future when I get a 4k/HDR proyector

Thanks!!
Yes.
post #3503 of 3513 Old 05-10-2019, 01:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 59
How to setup 5.2.4 with heights on SR7009

I have a room setup with 7.2 surround right now. I purchased two speakers that I am going to install as height channels, about 3 feet above the front left/right. I can't do ceiling in my room unfortunately.

Because my room has a riser and two rows of seating with overstuffed reclining couches, my surround speakers aren't really at ear height, they are about 1 foot from the ceiling.

I wanted to try several setups with the SR7009 but don't know how to do the setup on the AVR:

7.2.2 - where the atmos speakers are set to front height. side and rear surrounds are just surrounds. I think I can figure out this setup fine.

7.2.2 - where the atmos speakers are set to top front (ceiling front). I heard this can improve the atmos experience and is worth trying out. I think I can figure out this setup fine too.

5.2.4 - where the atmos speakers are my front heights and my rear surrounds (which are close to the ceiling) set as rear height. This I don't know how to setup. (amp assign, which speaker posts to use, etc.)

5.2.4 - where the atmos speakers are my front heights set to top front and top rear. Also not sure how to set this up.

Possible combos of setting my front height and rear surround to front height/top front and rear height/top rear - and try them out.

Any help with this setup - or pointing out flaws in my thinking- are welcome. Thanks!

Hardware and System engineer. Enjoy theaters, automation, media and the outdoors.
Love the hobby, but always have to remember to keep family first!
"The Escape Pod" - First Theater Build
post #3504 of 3513 Old 05-10-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielrg View Post
I have a room setup with 7.2 surround right now. I purchased two speakers that I am going to install as height channels, about 3 feet above the front left/right. I can't do ceiling in my room unfortunately.

Because my room has a riser and two rows of seating with overstuffed reclining couches, my surround speakers aren't really at ear height, they are about 1 foot from the ceiling.

I wanted to try several setups with the SR7009 but don't know how to do the setup on the AVR:

7.2.2 - where the atmos speakers are set to front height. side and rear surrounds are just surrounds. I think I can figure out this setup fine.

7.2.2 - where the atmos speakers are set to top front (ceiling front). I heard this can improve the atmos experience and is worth trying out. I think I can figure out this setup fine too.

5.2.4 - where the atmos speakers are my front heights and my rear surrounds (which are close to the ceiling) set as rear height. This I don't know how to setup. (amp assign, which speaker posts to use, etc.)

5.2.4 - where the atmos speakers are my front heights set to top front and top rear. Also not sure how to set this up.

Possible combos of setting my front height and rear surround to front height/top front and rear height/top rear - and try them out.

Any help with this setup - or pointing out flaws in my thinking- are welcome. Thanks!
AMP ASSIGN = 9.1 for all above configurations.

When only one set of Atmos speakers are used (ie. 7.2.2), connect them to the Height 1 speaker posts.

When you add a second set of Atmos speakers (ie. 5.2.4), connect them to the Front Wide/Height 2 speaker posts (ie. move Surround Back speaker wires to Height 2 speaker posts)
danielrg likes this.
post #3505 of 3513 Old 05-16-2019, 01:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
AMP ASSIGN = 9.1 for all above configurations.

When only one set of Atmos speakers are used (ie. 7.2.2), connect them to the Height 1 speaker posts.

When you add a second set of Atmos speakers (ie. 5.2.4), connect them to the Front Wide/Height 2 speaker posts (ie. move Surround Back speaker wires to Height 2 speaker posts)
I like banana plugs :-) Moving posts isn't so bad then...

One thing I don't understand... what is the 9.1 vs the Dolby Atmos setting?

I noticed when I did the Dolby Atmos setting, and said I had two ceiling channels, it just plunks them in the center of the ceiling (front to rear). If I say I have 4 ceiling, it shows top front and top rear. There seems to be no options for where to put the ceiling speakers when selecting Dolby Atmos vs. 9.1.

With 9.1, I can choose 2 or 4 height speakers and pick where they go (front, top front, middle, top rear, rear) which is really nice... but what about when I have a Dolby Atmos encoded soundtrack? Will the height speakers get used properly or will I have to go to the Dolby Atmos setting? If I do, will my front and rear height speakers work well enough since they are fixed to top front and top rear? Is there more configurability and I'm missing it somehow?

Lastly - when I use the Dolby Atmos setting, put the height speakers as the ceiling and play music, none of the music options (Dolby Surround, etc.) seem to result in any content coming from the height speakers, they seem silent. I only seem to get sound out of the height speakers with the 9.1 setting.

I browsed this thread a bit trying to find the answers of 9.1 vs Dolby Atmos, etc. but it's a big thread and I didn't find anything particularly insightful (I'm sure I just missed it). Could someone point me to the info or tell me what they know? Thanks!

Hardware and System engineer. Enjoy theaters, automation, media and the outdoors.
post #3506 of 3513 Old 05-16-2019, 02:17 AM
Advanced Member

Oh - and one more question. I did find in some posts on this thread the implication that if I change speaker assignments or locations I need to re-run Audyssey. So if I want to try various combinations of front height/top front and rear height/top rear/rear surround - I'll need to re-run Audyssey between each speaker change to really get an idea of the difference, is that correct?

I plan to listen to some part of a Dolby Atmos movie with the various speaker setups to see what I hear & like, like Wonder Woman or Star Trek: Beyond. Also I want to try some music through the various setups using upmixing.

What are the upmixer options for music on the 7009? Neo:X and Dolby Surround? People talk about DSU is that the Dolby Surround?

Thanks!

post #3507 of 3513 Old 05-16-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I like banana plugs :-) Moving posts isn't so bad then...

One thing I don't understand... what is the 9.1 vs the Dolby Atmos setting?

I noticed when I did the Dolby Atmos setting, and said I had two ceiling channels, it just plunks them in the center of the ceiling (front to rear). If I say I have 4 ceiling, it shows top front and top rear. There seems to be no options for where to put the ceiling speakers when selecting Dolby Atmos vs. 9.1.

With 9.1, I can choose 2 or 4 height speakers and pick where they go (front, top front, middle, top rear, rear) which is really nice... but what about when I have a Dolby Atmos encoded soundtrack? Will the height speakers get used properly or will I have to go to the Dolby Atmos setting? If I do, will my front and rear height speakers work well enough since they are fixed to top front and top rear? Is there more configurability and I'm missing it somehow?

Lastly - when I use the Dolby Atmos setting, put the height speakers as the ceiling and play music, none of the music options (Dolby Surround, etc.) seem to result in any content coming from the height speakers, they seem silent. I only seem to get sound out of the height speakers with the 9.1 setting.

I browsed this thread a bit trying to find the answers of 9.1 vs Dolby Atmos, etc. but it's a big thread and I didn't find anything particularly insightful (I'm sure I just missed it). Could someone point me to the info or tell me what they know? Thanks!
As you noted, when AMP ASSIGN = Dolby Atmos, only the Atmos suggested settings are available (ie. Top Front/Top Middle/Top Rear) which is why either the 9.1 or 11.1 settings are recommended instead which allow for both the Dolby Atmos and the DTS recommended settings (ie. "Front/Rear Height")

Quote:
Oh - and one more question. I did find in some posts on this thread the implication that if I change speaker assignments or locations I need to re-run Audyssey. So if I want to try various combinations of front height/top front and rear height/top rear/rear surround - I'll need to re-run Audyssey between each speaker change to really get an idea of the difference, is that correct?

I plan to listen to some part of a Dolby Atmos movie with the various speaker setups to see what I hear & like, like Wonder Woman or Star Trek: Beyond. Also I want to try some music through the various setups using upmixing.

What are the upmixer options for music on the 7009? Neo:X and Dolby Surround? People talk about DSU is that the Dolby Surround?

Thanks!
1. Yes. After running Audyssey for a given configuration, you'll want to SAVE each configuration to a PC file (~10 minutes) and then LOAD it to the AVR when you want to use it (~10 minutes). See Web Control (p. 171 Owner's manual). Note that on more current models, this procedure now takes about 1 minute and can be done via a USB thumb drive as well as using the new Audyssey MultEQ Editor app (iOS/Android, $20).
2. DTS Neural:X and Dolby Surround (aka DSU).
danielrg likes this.
post #3508 of 3513 Old 05-27-2019, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Marantz receivers surround mode won't change from DTSHD-MA

Hi guys, I have a marantz sr7009 receiver. I usually watch my 4k movies through my Sony ubpx800 and have my marantz decode the audio. I set it to auto and the majority of my content it defaults to DTSHD-MA. Here's the kicker, I recently did an audyssey calibration again and I watched a few clips of movies. It sounds way better. I thought this was due to me taking all 8 measurements instead of 3. I look down at the receiver and notice it's now displaying DTSHD + PLIIx Movie. I didn't change any settings and so I just pressed auto and it went back to DTSHD-MA. However, now it sounds worse!!! I couldn't believe it considering it's lossless. I tried everything to get back to DTSHD+PLIIX Movie but I just can't get it to work? What am I doing wrong?
post #3509 of 3513 Old 05-28-2019, 05:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by iduhfuse View Post
Hi guys, I have a marantz sr7009 receiver. I usually watch my 4k movies through my Sony ubpx800 and have my marantz decode the audio. I set it to auto and the majority of my content it defaults to DTSHD-MA. Here's the kicker, I recently did an audyssey calibration again and I watched a few clips of movies. It sounds way better. I thought this was due to me taking all 8 measurements instead of 3. I look down at the receiver and notice it's now displaying DTSHD + PLIIx Movie. I didn't change any settings and so I just pressed auto and it went back to DTSHD-MA. However, now it sounds worse!!! I couldn't believe it considering it's lossless. I tried everything to get back to DTSHD+PLIIX Movie but I just can't get it to work? What am I doing wrong?
PLIIX will take a two channel or a DD 5.1 program and processes it to something bigger like 6.1 or 7.1.
DTS HD-MA is a “Lossless” format, and you would rather use PLIIX. Why??

Espo77's living room equipment: RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A3030- SPEAKERS: Boston Acoustics M350, M25 center, surrounds, and front heights-
BLU-RAY: Oppo BDP103D- SUBWOOFER: HSU VTF-15H MK2- dedicated circuits for A/V- TV: Vizio P55C-1
Auralex Acoustics LENRD - Auralex Acoustics Roominator
post #3510 of 3513 Old 05-28-2019, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I know, doesn't exactly make sense as DTS-HD MSTR is supposed to be superior. However, like I mentioned, somehow after audyssey it glitched and switched to DTS-HD + PLIIx even though the input of the bluray is DTS-HD MA. It sounded so much better on PLIIx, the dialogue was clearer, and the overall sound was more immersive, more 3D like if you will. The only thing I'm unsure of now, is if this really was due to PLIIx or if PLIIx plays louder at the same volume level as DTS-HD MSTR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
media mode , second sub , SR7009 , svs 20-39 , usb dac

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page