Marantz SR7009 Owner's Thread - Page 118 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1006Likes

post #3511 of 3530 Old 05-28-2019, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Are you letting the Blu-Ray player or the receiver decode?
Is the Blu-Ray set to “bitstream”?

Espo77's living room equipment: RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A3030- SPEAKERS: Boston Acoustics M350, M25 center, surrounds, and front heights-
BLU-RAY: Oppo BDP103D- SUBWOOFER: HSU VTF-15H MK2- dedicated circuits for A/V- TV: Vizio P55C-1
Auralex Acoustics LENRD - Auralex Acoustics Roominator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3512 of 3530 Old 05-29-2019, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes it is set to "auto" which bitsreams
post #3513 of 3530 Old 06-06-2019, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by iduhfuse View Post
Yes it is set to "auto" which bitsreams
That suggests that it's a Sony disc player. You also need to set "BD Audio Mix Setting" to "Off". When it's on, the player has to decode the audio stream into PCM in order to mix menu sounds and audio subchannels into the main audio soundtrack.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3514 of 3530 Old 07-02-2019, 03:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 63
For us poor SR7009 owners... 4K dilemma!

I just purchased a JVC DLA-X790R projector. It supports 18Gbps 4K/60 HDR10 and HLG with HDCP 2.2. As we know, the SR7009 does not.

Problem is, I'd like to get a Roku Ultra or NVidia Shield, but neither of these has dual HDMI outputs (i.e. one full, one audio only) like the nicer UHD Blu-Ray Players have.

What is best thing to do for 4K projectors with this receiver? I see options, but not sure what problems I'll run into. I could see wasting money trying to figure it out.

1) HDMI Splitter... one goes to projector, one to receiver. Problem here is don't both "displays" have to support HDCP 2.2? Do some splitters "ignore" one of the outputs? Won't get on screen display, but at least I can make 4K bypass work and get advanced sound formats like Dolby Atmos - IF I can find a splitter like that.

2) HDCP 2.2 to 1.4 converter - Will the converter jack up the 4K/HDR signal? I saw this device on Monoprice: HDCP 2.2 to 1.4 Converter I think it is limited to 10.2 Gbps.

If I CAN convert the copy protection to 1.4:

3) Will the GUI / info / volume overlay on a 4K HDR10/HLD signal with the SR7009? I'm okay if I can at least see them on a black background too...

4) Will the SR7009 handle HDR10 and HLG signals properly?

It's a bit of a quagmire. Other options are something more expensive like the HDFury Integral 2 ($250) which I'm pretty sure can be made to work as a splitter where 1st output is to Marantz and 2nd output is HDMI audio, or upgrading to a newer model ($2K). I'd really like to not bother upgrading to a newer model, I love my SR7009 and it supports all the audio formats.

I searched the thread and didn't find any good answers...

Hardware and System engineer. Enjoy theaters, automation, media and the outdoors.
Love the hobby, but always have to remember to keep family first!
"The Escape Pod" - First Theater Build

Last edited by danielrg; 07-02-2019 at 03:19 AM.
post #3515 of 3530 Old 07-02-2019, 04:17 AM
Advanced Member

I'd rather think about this than sleep apparently...

So it seems HDFury Integral2 (or the now discontinued AVRKey 18 Gbps if you can find one) are good options, albeit pricey.

If the ONLY thing holding the SR7009 back from passing 4K HDR10/HLG is the copy protection (i.e. it can pass the HDR formats okay), then maybe the monoprice HDCP converter would be enough. Certainly cheaper.

Anyone know the answers or tried the various options? I might buy the monoprice thing and return it if it doesn't work, then go for an HDFury solution.

Ironic that solving this problem costs as much or more than the streaming device itself... I'd gladly just pay $20 more for a streaming device with an HDMI audio out port.

Even then with a UHD blu ray player and a streaming device and an AVR, that's 3 video inputs to a projector with only 2 inputs... so maybe that Integral2 is looking more attractive, as I can switch inputs and take the 3 projector inputs back down to 2.

I should have waited for the SR7010 :-O

Hardware and System engineer. Enjoy theaters, automation, media and the outdoors.
post #3516 of 3530 Old 07-02-2019, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

This feels like a monologue :-)

In another thread someone suggested this unit, a little less pricey than HDFury units: ViewHD UHD 18G HDMI Audio Extractor/Splitter Support HDMI v2.0

I then thought about having multiple inputs to select for the projector's second input, and to only have to use one of these suckers, so I found a switch: ROOFULL 3 in 1 Out HDMI 2.0 Switch 4K 60Hz HDR HDCP 2.2

Hook up to my IR repeater, and I can switch 4K inputs with the little remote.

Certainly not as nice as a new AVR, but it's only $100 and then I can support 3 sources.

If I need to see the volume or change audio settings on screen, I can change to the other projector input which will show me the AVR video, then make changes to volume or audio settings.

And, I will not have spent so much money that I would balk at getting a new AVR sooner rather than later anyway.

Thoughts?

post #3517 of 3530 Old 07-05-2019, 03:32 AM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I have been going through your same process. I have the SR7009 and recently got a JVC RS1000. I've tried and returned a couple of different HDMI splitters that had various issues or didn't work with Nvidia Shield (but did with Apple TV for example). Another that I tried kept reverting back to 1080p and needed a power reset to sync back at 4k. Now I'm using the Integral 2 and considering returning it and biting the bullet and upgrading the AVR due to all the pain in the ass I've had. Integral 2 works better than the rest and most of the time but I still get occasional HDMI handshake issues or artifacts. HD Fury support has advised changing all of my HDMI cables. I've probably gone through a dozen different cables and now using ones they specifically told me to order. Still not perfect.

At this point I was looking at either upgrading to the new HD Fury Vertex 2 ($399) or trying to find a deal on a Denon 4400, 4500, or Marantz 6012/6013/7013. Now I'm trying to find another reason other than proper 4k support to justify the upgrade and get something with better room correction - maybe find something with Dirac or try out Anthem's ARC Genesis but reviews have been mixed on whether the Anthem would sound better than my Marantz.

I've spent too much time at this point (a couple months) trying to find solutions to avoid having to upgrade and haven't been happy with any of them. If I can find a good AVR that is clearly better than the SR7009 in areas other than just HDCP 2.2 support, I'm going to go that route in the next few days and return the HD Fury.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
post #3518 of 3530 Old 07-05-2019, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyld0 View Post
I have been going through your same process. I have the SR7009 and recently got a JVC RS1000. I've tried and returned a couple of different HDMI splitters that had various issues or didn't work with Nvidia Shield (but did with Apple TV for example). Another that I tried kept reverting back to 1080p and needed a power reset to sync back at 4k. Now I'm using the Integral 2 and considering returning it and biting the bullet and upgrading the AVR due to all the pain in the ass I've had. Integral 2 works better than the rest and most of the time but I still get occasional HDMI handshake issues or artifacts. HD Fury support has advised changing all of my HDMI cables. I've probably gone through a dozen different cables and now using ones they specifically told me to order. Still not perfect.

At this point I was looking at either upgrading to the new HD Fury Vertex 2 ($399) or trying to find a deal on a Denon 4400, 4500, or Marantz 6012/6013/7013. Now I'm trying to find another reason other than proper 4k support to justify the upgrade and get something with better room correction - maybe find something with Dirac or try out Anthem's ARC Genesis but reviews have been mixed on whether the Anthem would sound better than my Marantz.

I've spent too much time at this point (a couple months) trying to find solutions to avoid having to upgrade and haven't been happy with any of them. If I can find a good AVR that is clearly better than the SR7009 in areas other than just HDCP 2.2 support, I'm going to go that route in the next few days and return the HD Fury.
Thanks for sharing your story - that helps to hear what someone already trying to do this has gone through. I ordered the switch and the HDMI Audio splitter I mentioned. I'm hopeful but doubtful it would be anything but a stopgap. I'll post here how it goes. I already have a price watch on the Marantz SR7013, hoping to get it at a good price when the next model year is introduced.

I'm actually pretty excited about HEOS, and HDCP2.2, and HDR being supported, as well as the Audyssey app and being able to have the full overlay and menus accessible. I'll miss Neo:x upmixer which I really like, but perhaps I'll like DTS:X. I also like that it is the exact same size as the SR7009 (at least I think so...), so it will slip right into the Middle Atlantic rack shelf and faceplate I already have for the SR7009.

But yeah, we'll see how these interim solutions go...

post #3519 of 3530 Old 07-05-2019, 11:17 PM

I ended up snagging a deal on the Denon 4400 this morning for $499 during the Fry's clearance. At that price it's silly not to get it and return the HD Fury. It's got all the features you mentioned. It feels a little like I'm stepping down from a Marantz to a Denon, but the specs show they are identical. I'll honestly be happy to be done with all the mess with the splitters. HD Fury looked like it should be really cool, what with the HDR Metadata editor and JVC modes - but none of it actually worked in my setup. Being able to see the Metadata is neat, but the JVC can do that too with the info screen and having the full overlays will be nice.

Good luck with your tests. Other than the Integral, the Orei UHDS 102 worked best for me but for some reason kept reverting back to 1080p after a couple hours of not being used. I think it did not always follow the switch settings and needed power cycle daily. I also tried the ViewHD UHAE2 and kept having no sound issues or issues where Atmos or DV would not be recognized so I think the extractor and EDID management wasn't working as expected.

post #3520 of 3530 Old 07-06-2019, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I ended up snagging a deal on the Denon 4400 this morning for $499 during the Fry's clearance. At that price it's silly not to get it and return the HD Fury. It's got all the features you mentioned. It feels a little like I'm stepping down from a Marantz to a Denon, but the specs show they are identical. I'll honestly be happy to be done with all the mess with the splitters.
That's great. That's the same unit I purchased for my dad's theater, as they can be found for great deals right now.
wyld0 likes this.

post #3521 of 3530 Old 07-07-2019, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
I ended up snagging a deal on the Denon 4400 this morning for $499 during the Fry's clearance. At that price it's silly not to get it and return the HD Fury. It's got all the features you mentioned. It feels a little like I'm stepping down from a Marantz to a Denon, but the specs show they are identical. I'll honestly be happy to be done with all the mess with the splitters. HD Fury looked like it should be really cool, what with the HDR Metadata editor and JVC modes - but none of it actually worked in my setup. Being able to see the Metadata is neat, but the JVC can do that too with the info screen and having the full overlays will be nice.

Good luck with your tests. Other than the Integral, the Orei UHDS 102 worked best for me but for some reason kept reverting back to 1080p after a couple hours of not being used. I think it did not always follow the switch settings and needed power cycle daily. I also tried the ViewHD UHAE2 and kept having no sound issues or issues where Atmos or DV would not be recognized so I think the extractor and EDID management wasn't working as expected.

I doubt it is a step down, But I would like you to compare how it compares in stereo/direct for music. Play some of your favorite music on the Marantz and then on the Denon with critical listening and post.

Music, more music.
post #3522 of 3530 Old 07-07-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altpensacola View Post
I doubt it is a step down, But I would like you to compare how it compares in stereo/direct for music. Play some of your favorite music on the Marantz and then on the Denon with critical listening and post.
I might not get the chance after all. Even though I got order confirmation and tracking number on Friday morning, the tracking has still not updated and frys order status says "expired". I have no idea what that means - it doesn't say canceled but I'm worried they went to pick it and didn't have allocation. So now I'm back to trying to figure out if I should find something with Dirac Live or if ARC Genesis compares. If I'm going to have to be spending ~2k, I'd rather justify the upgrade by getting better sound and not just HDCP 2.2 support only.

post #3523 of 3530 Old 08-09-2019, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi guys!

Been messing around with Audyssey on my Marantz SR7009 and there's something I just don't get... I have a 5.1 set and when I run Audyssey everything goes smoothly. The speakers are identified correctly.

BUT, when I go to the "Amp Assign", what I see is "7.1ch+Zone2/Zone3"... I wonder why (?)

Shouldn't it be 5.1? Am I missing something?

This always happened when I ran the initial setup, it's not new to me. But this time I decided to ask for your help.

What I always did is set the amp assign to 5.1 and ran calibration all over again. Is this the correct procedure?

Thanks!

Enviado do meu SM-G925F através do Tapatalk
post #3524 of 3530 Old 08-10-2019, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 739 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22561 Post(s)
Liked: 12279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edi-MC View Post
Hi guys!

Been messing around with Audyssey on my Marantz SR7009 and there's something I just don't get... I have a 5.1 set and when I run Audyssey everything goes smoothly. The speakers are identified correctly.

BUT, when I go to the "Amp Assign", what I see is "7.1ch+Zone2/Zone3"... I wonder why (?)

Shouldn't it be 5.1? Am I missing something?

This always happened when I ran the initial setup, it's not new to me. But this time I decided to ask for your help.

What I always did is set the amp assign to 5.1 and ran calibration all over again. Is this the correct procedure?

Thanks!

Enviado do meu SM-G925F através do Tapatalk
The SR7009 is a 9CH model so the AMP ASSIGN settings are geared towards providing an output to all 9CH regardless of whether you're using them or not. With a 5.1, 5.1.2, or 7.1 setup, you can simply use the factory default setting of "7.1 + Zone 2".
Edi-MC likes this.
post #3525 of 3530 Old 08-10-2019, 06:37 AM

Hmmm... And won't the receiver try to send information to all those channels?
In the case of a 7.1 assignment, I would supposedly have 2 more speakers for the unit to manage, which aren't there... But the receiver thinks they are.
Am I looking at this the wrong way?

Last edited by Edi-MC; 08-10-2019 at 09:41 AM.
post #3526 of 3530 Old 08-10-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Hmmm... And won't the receiver try to send information to all those channels?
In the case of a 7.1 assignment, I would supposedly have 2 more speakers for the unit to manage, which aren't there... But the receiver thinks they are.
Am I looking at this the wrong way?
Yup. The receiver knows what speakers are connected once you run Audyssey or manually configure it.
post #3527 of 3530 Old 08-10-2019, 12:13 PM

Hi (guru!) @jdsmoothie !
What should I do then?
Leave it as it is or set it manually to 5.1 and re-run Audyssey?

What you're saying is that even if set to 7.1, if I have only 5 speakers (and sub) connected, the Marantz will know and send the sound information optimized for 5.1 listening. Meaning: I will never "loose" sound information (?)

Last edited by Edi-MC; 08-10-2019 at 12:27 PM.
post #3528 of 3530 Old 08-10-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Hi (guru!) @jdsmoothie !
What should I do then?
Leave it as it is or set it manually to 5.1 and re-run Audyssey?

What you're saying is that even if set to 7.1, if I have only 5 speakers (and sub) connected, the Marantz will know and send the sound information optimized for 5.1 listening. Meaning: I will never "loose" sound information (?)
Correct.
Edi-MC likes this.
post #3529 of 3530 Old 08-15-2019, 12:10 PM
j7f

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielrg View Post
This feels like a monologue :-)

In another thread someone suggested this unit, a little less pricey than HDFury units: ViewHD UHD 18G HDMI Audio Extractor/Splitter Support HDMI v2.0

I then thought about having multiple inputs to select for the projector's second input, and to only have to use one of these suckers, so I found a switch: ROOFULL 3 in 1 Out HDMI 2.0 Switch 4K 60Hz HDR HDCP 2.2

Hook up to my IR repeater, and I can switch 4K inputs with the little remote.

Certainly not as nice as a new AVR, but it's only $100 and then I can support 3 sources.

If I need to see the volume or change audio settings on screen, I can change to the other projector input which will show me the AVR video, then make changes to volume or audio settings.

And, I will not have spent so much money that I would balk at getting a new AVR sooner rather than later anyway.

Thoughts?

so, pretty much all of this. albeit, at a much smaller level.
i love my 7009.
i have an old technics turntable attached that sounds magnificent through the 7009 and totems.
i bought the system specifically for sound.
but, sound on all fronts.
tv, cable, and roku, and various others, too.
there's nothing much better than watching programming with excellent sound.

then, i made the *mistake* of snapping up a 4k tv. sony a9f.

sigh.
trouble started.

i've been going back and forth for months deciding whether to upgrade the marantz for a unit that will pass 4k.
but, as previously mentioned, i don't want to have to upgrade to something just for 4k pass through and handshaking.
if i upgrade, ideally, it gets upgraded for sound.
you know, the thing that is its actual purpose.

has anyone here managed to get ARC to work reliably?
i have to say, i know we're spoiled, but i really prefer things when they work natively.

so, has *anyone* gotten ARC to work reliably?
if so...would you mind sharing how you managed it?

cheers
post #3530 of 3530 Old 10-03-2019, 01:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Service manual /repair guide

That link is no longer active. Does anybody have these files?

I'm attempting to repair my SR7009 which is playing back with distortion.

Thanks for any help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghatikar View Post
Meanwhile while repairing my system after an HDMI port failure I collected a lot of information ( both official and unofficial sources)

All of it is available in single download location ( around 400 mb) this also includes the Service manual /repair guide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
media mode , second sub , SR7009 , svs 20-39 , usb dac

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page