Marantz SR7009 Owner's Thread - Page 80 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1006Likes

post #2371 of 3529 Old 07-14-2015, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone . I bought around 2 weeks ago a Marantz 7009 av receiver from SCHLAUERSHOPPEN
I did the latest firmware update in the beginning , and I got the following problem :

It is very good that I CAN assign to every different HDMI input different AUDIO SETTINGS
For example I can set to the TV input different M-DAX settings , and also in the Audyssey sub menu I can have diffentent Reference level offset , and Dynamic Volume and LFC. So for the above settings I got other settings for the TV input , others for the Online Radio and others for my Blu ray and PS4 .

The problem is this :
While I can have the different settings in the above AUDIO sub-menus , I can NOT have different settings in the following AUDIO sub-menus :
1) Dialog Level Adjust
2) Audio subwoofer level Adjustment
3) Audio/Surround parameter (cinema EQ)
4) Volume – power ON volume
So for example , I wanna have CINEMA EQ ON and DIALOG LEVEL Adjustment to the TV AUDIO input , BUT I want them OFF for my Blu-RAY .
I also want power on volume on to -50 to the tv , but 0 to the online radio.
I want audio subwoofer level for the blu ray to 0 , but diferrent in TV and also different to the Online radio.
WHY doesn’t it keep the different settings to each input at these submenus?? And how does it KEEP them in some other audio sub menus??
When I got for example CINEMA EQ to ON on one of the inputs , it keeps it ON for ALL the hdmi inputs which I don’t want.

It is really annoying
Do i only have this problem ?

Last edited by teri064; 07-14-2015 at 10:47 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2372 of 3529 Old 07-14-2015, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Quoted: 4380 Post(s)
Liked: 5371
I posted this in the DTS:X thread:

I rented Ex Machina from Redbox tonight and the disk has the DTS:X soundtrack as the default audio track. I played perfectly on my Marantz 7009 with the Atmos upmixer. I got a perfect 3D sound field with lots of overheads, totally immersive. The AVR displayed DTS-HD with the Dolby upmixer. If my AVR had the DTS:X codec i'm not sure how much better it could have been. I think that eventually DTS:X is going to shine if the AVR manufacturers implement the advanced DTS:X features so you can get a really good 3D sound field no matter what speaker set up you have. Then I believe it will have a "leg up" over Atmos with it's fairly rigid speaker placement. We will see.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #2373 of 3529 Old 07-15-2015, 04:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 7742 Post(s)
Liked: 7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Then I believe it will have a "leg up" over Atmos with it's fairly rigid speaker placement. We will see.
Would you call having the option of 6 different placements* for the overhead pairs "rigid". And would you call having the placement of the overhead speakers in an angular range of 30-45° (FH), 30-55° (TF), 65-100° (TM), 125-150° (TR) and 135-150° (RH) "rigid"? I’d call those options extraordinarily flexible.

Not to mention that Atmos is fully capable of positional rendering and can render to overhead speakers regardless of where they are placed, although this feature of Atmos has not (yet) been adopted by mainstream AVR manufactuers of course, although that is hardly Dolby's fault.

1. FH+TM
  2. FH+TR
  3. FH+RH
  4. TF+TR
  5. TF+RH
  6. TM+RH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2374 of 3529 Old 07-15-2015, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Agreed there are a lot of options setting up atmos speakers but dts:x is saying they are even more flexible. They even go as far as saying that they can provide a 3D sound field without overhead speakers and at the same time saying that you will get a better experience if you do have them. I think at the end of the day both formats will sound very close. But we will have to see what the AVR folks implement and how it sounds.
post #2375 of 3529 Old 07-16-2015, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 38
If they can add Auro3D with a firmware update,why not DTS: X
post #2376 of 3529 Old 07-16-2015, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 21
^^^ because then there would be less reason for existing owners to update to the 2015 models.
post #2377 of 3529 Old 07-16-2015, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue13x View Post
If they can add Auro3D with a firmware update,why not DTS: X
Most brands had to upgrade dsp chips to support all the new hardware/software offered in 2015.
post #2378 of 3529 Old 07-17-2015, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The dsp chip in the 7009 is the same that is in the Denon 7200W and Marantz 8802. Both the latter are firmware upgradeable for DTS:X

It is a conscious decision for D&M to not upgrade certain units as things like DTS:X are then selling points for the new models.
post #2379 of 3529 Old 07-17-2015, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avParsec View Post
The dsp chip in the 7009 is the same that is in the Denon 7200W and Marantz 8802. Both the latter are firmware upgradeable for DTS:X

It is a conscious decision for D&M to not upgrade certain units as things like DTS:X are then selling points for the new models.
You are correct and it's really sad that they are not offering the upgrade at a cost to the existing owners. Very bad business in my opinion. As a contrast, Samsung offered a new one connect box at a charge to existing customers which included updates to all the inputs and all the latest codec's for video on their high end 2013 and 2014 sets. As a result, Samsung is finally really competing with Sony and their sets are flying off the shelves. This is an example of good business. D&M feels that by holding back on the upgrades will "force" users to buy new AVRs every year. I hope this doesn't pan out for them because at a price point of $2K, a trusted brand like D&M should be standing behind their product when possible.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #2380 of 3529 Old 07-18-2015, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 12
When I purchased my SR7009 in April, I had two issues out of the box. The first issue turned out to be thumbnail artwork in iTunes exceeding a specified size and causing AirPlay to choke. Got that figured out and AirPlay has been stable for months now. The second issue appeared to be a faulty volume control on the remote (and flukey volume control on the iPhone App and iTunes as well). I decided to live with the second issue as well.

Fast forward to a week ago and AirPlay has decided to become unstable. The network connection to the Marantz is fine (wired, not wireless), and internet radio options work when AirPlay does not. The SR7009 ceases to appear in the AirPlay list as an option, or when it does appear and is selected, the AirPlay connection dies. Or it may work for a few songs, and then die. Song selections don't have the artwork issue. Powering everything down (laptop, iPhone, SR7009) has no positive result. Other AirPort sources and clients remain stable and usable. The network connection is solid.

I now ALSO noticed that the volume control issue that I've always had with the remote (and iTunes, and iPhone app) ONLY happens in iTunes. All other sources behave completely as expected, including internet radio. The symptom: changing the volume setting results in the volume randomly drifting all the back down to zero or to some lower number (even though I'm firmly pressing the + button). The volume level continues to slowly change even after I let go of the button.

Resetting the SR7009 does NOT fix the volume control problem (over about 10 resets in the last few months). I know if I call Marantz, they will tell me to reset the unit to fix the AirPlay intermittent issue. This is highly frustrating as, once again, I'll lose all of my Audyssey settings. Given problems with DM equipment handling AirPlay filling the forums, I don't know that even an equipment exchange will fix the problem. Anybody else experiencing this? Any advice?
post #2381 of 3529 Old 07-18-2015, 01:31 PM

On another note, with the direct Marantz AirPlay instability noted above, I've been using the AppleTV (connected to the SR7009 via HDMI) to stream music via AirPlay as an alternative. I think I notice a distinct difference in sound quality, with the AppleTV being inferior to the direct connection to the Marantz. I don't see a technical reason why this would be so. In both cases the digital signal would be sent to the Marantz onboard DAC for conversion to analog. Digital signals either work or they don't, there is no degradation. So other than a possible mental disorder , I don't see a reason for the discrepancy. Any thoughts?
post #2382 of 3529 Old 07-18-2015, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 719 Post(s)
Quoted: 22198 Post(s)
Liked: 12058
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO HiFi Guy View Post
When I purchased my SR7009 in April, I had two issues out of the box. The first issue turned out to be thumbnail artwork in iTunes exceeding a specified size and causing AirPlay to choke. Got that figured out and AirPlay has been stable for months now. The second issue appeared to be a faulty volume control on the remote (and flukey volume control on the iPhone App and iTunes as well). I decided to live with the second issue as well.

Fast forward to a week ago and AirPlay has decided to become unstable. The network connection to the Marantz is fine (wired, not wireless), and internet radio options work when AirPlay does not. The SR7009 ceases to appear in the AirPlay list as an option, or when it does appear and is selected, the AirPlay connection dies. Or it may work for a few songs, and then die. Song selections don't have the artwork issue. Powering everything down (laptop, iPhone, SR7009) has no positive result. Other AirPort sources and clients remain stable and usable. The network connection is solid.

I now ALSO noticed that the volume control issue that I've always had with the remote (and iTunes, and iPhone app) ONLY happens in iTunes. All other sources behave completely as expected, including internet radio. The symptom: changing the volume setting results in the volume randomly drifting all the back down to zero or to some lower number (even though I'm firmly pressing the + button). The volume level continues to slowly change even after I let go of the button.

Resetting the SR7009 does NOT fix the volume control problem (over about 10 resets in the last few months). I know if I call Marantz, they will tell me to reset the unit to fix the AirPlay intermittent issue. This is highly frustrating as, once again, I'll lose all of my Audyssey settings. Given problems with DM equipment handling AirPlay filling the forums, I don't know that even an equipment exchange will fix the problem. Anybody else experiencing this? Any advice?

For the Airplay issue, try the steps I list in my Troubleshooting post linked below (although the issue is somewhat different):

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...ad-faq.html#l1

Also note, that you can SAVE a copy of the config file (to include Audyssey EQ) to a PC file using the Web Control feature (p. 162 Owner's manual) and then LOAD it back after doing a microprocessor reset.
post #2383 of 3529 Old 07-18-2015, 09:14 PM

^^^Thanks J.D.

No luck yet. Spent about three hours working through your troubleshooting tips. Ultimately wound up doing a processor reset. STILL no love from AirPlay. It stubbornly remains off.

I do have another questions about setup, however. Every time I blow out the settings and do a reset, I forget and use the Setup Assistant. It picks the 7.1 Amp Assign even though I have a 5.2.2 Atmos setup and select the proper speakers during the setup process. When I go back after the fact to change Amp Assign to "Dolby Atmos >>5.1ch +2 Height" setting, I lose my Audyssey settings and have to start all over again with the microphone setup after my manual Amp Assign has been made. I assume this is normal? I also assume this is the best setting if I want to make use of Atmos?

Thanks for the SAVE A COPY tip--I couldn't find that capability anywhere and Marantz references the wrong page number. Very helpful. Thank you.
post #2384 of 3529 Old 07-19-2015, 03:22 AM

Quote:
^^^Thanks J.D.

No luck yet. Spent about three hours working through your troubleshooting tips. Ultimately wound up doing a processor reset. STILL no love from AirPlay. It stubbornly remains off.

I do have another questions about setup, however. Every time I blow out the settings and do a reset, I forget and use the Setup Assistant. It picks the 7.1 Amp Assign even though I have a 5.2.2 Atmos setup and select the proper speakers during the setup process. When I go back after the fact to change Amp Assign to "Dolby Atmos >>5.1ch +2 Height" setting, I lose my Audyssey settings and have to start all over again with the microphone setup after my manual Amp Assign has been made. I assume this is normal? I also assume this is the best setting if I want to make use of Atmos?

Thanks for the SAVE A COPY tip--I couldn't find that capability anywhere and Marantz references the wrong page number. Very helpful. Thank you.
1. Yes, it is normal, however, no, not the best setting to use AMP ASSIGN = ATMOS, rather suggest you use the "AMP ASSIGN = 9.1" as using the ATMOS config limits you to only using the "ceiling" speakers (ie. unable to select the FH or RH speakers).
2. Where the Web Control feature is displayed depends on which country you are in and which manual you are using, either the original (w/o Auro 3D info) or newest (w/Auro 3D info).
post #2385 of 3529 Old 07-19-2015, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can i ask if i'm missing something with DSD audio! I have been enjoying the receiver more in hifi rather than surround haven't watched a movie yet!! DSD works directly from the usb in the receiver but will not decode it bit streamed from the oppo 103 through the HDMI cable, am i missing something or the receiver is not capable? or is the HDMI cable? setting that i cant see? Thanks
post #2386 of 3529 Old 07-19-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony M View Post
Can i ask if i'm missing something with DSD audio! I have been enjoying the receiver more in hifi rather than surround haven't watched a movie yet!! DSD works directly from the usb in the receiver but will not decode it bit streamed from the oppo 103 through the HDMI cable, am i missing something or the receiver is not capable? or is the HDMI cable? setting that i cant see? Thanks
DSD decoding over HDMI actually begins with the SR6009, so yes, it can also be done on the SR7009. The limitation is your Oppo 103. Although on the 103D DSD audio can be sent out over HDMI 1, on the 103 and earlier models, I believe it can only pass on HDMI 2.
post #2387 of 3529 Old 07-19-2015, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Hdpc 2.2

Does the Marantz 7009 now support hdpc 2.2
post #2388 of 3529 Old 07-19-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazika123 View Post
Does the Marantz 7009 now support hdpc 2.2
No 2014 Marantz AVRs to include the SR7009 support HDCP 2.2. You will need to purchase a new 2015 model for HDCP 2.2.
post #2389 of 3529 Old 07-19-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
No 2014 Marantz AVRs to include the SR7009 support HDCP 2.2. You will need to purchase a new 2015 model for HDCP 2.2.
Thanks JD,
are these available now and do they carry the same model number.
post #2390 of 3529 Old 07-19-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks JD,
are these available now and do they carry the same model number.

The lower level 2015 Marantz models should be released by the end of July. The SR7010 won't be released until Sep/Oct. Refer to the 2015 Owner's thread linked below for more info ...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...-s-thread.html
post #2391 of 3529 Old 07-19-2015, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1847 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Quote:
^^^Thanks J.D.

HI SLO HiFi Guy,

Recently Apple has pushed out an up-date to iOS 8.4 that includes it's own version of online music streaming called Apple Music. Since I have no interest in this and remained on the older version (iOS 8.3), I too have noticed issues with AirPlay to the SR-7009. We have a number of iOS devices and my wife's iPad (an older 3rd generation) seems fine. The same with her newer generation iPhone 6+. My iPad mini (2nd generation) doesn't do so well for some strange reason. Might be forced to do the up-grade to the latest iOS and carry out several tests to see if it improves AirPlay connection.

I note that there's a beta version called iOS 8.4.1 that's been released to developers. Most likely there's a few bugs that need to be squished and will be rolled out to the general public.

I've now reverted to android mobile using DLNA 1.5 to stream directly to the SR-7009. This seems to be the most stable so far.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
post #2392 of 3529 Old 07-19-2015, 07:21 PM

[quote]
Quote:
1. Yes, it is normal, however, no, not the best setting to use AMP ASSIGN = ATMOS, rather suggest you use the "AMP ASSIGN = 9.1" as using the ATMOS config limits you to only using the "ceiling" speakers (ie. unable to select the FH or RH speakers).
Sorry, I'm not very well versed on the AV side of things. I don't understand your recommendation for 9.1 if I only have a 5.2.2 configuration (using ceiling speakers, not the upward-firing front Atmos additions) with no plans for FH or RH speakers. I'm missing your point--thanks for your newbie patience
post #2393 of 3529 Old 07-19-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
HI SLO HiFi Guy,

Recently Apple has pushed out an up-date to iOS 8.4 that includes it's own version of online music streaming called Apple Music. Since I have no interest in this and remained on the older version (iOS 8.3), I too have noticed issues with AirPlay to the SR-7009. We have a number of iOS devices and my wife's iPad (an older 3rd generation) seems fine. The same with her newer generation iPhone 6+. My iPad mini (2nd generation) doesn't do so well for some strange reason. Might be forced to do the up-grade to the latest iOS and carry out several tests to see if it improves AirPlay connection.

I note that there's a beta version called iOS 8.4.1 that's been released to developers. Most likely there's a few bugs that need to be squished and will be rolled out to the general public.

I've now reverted to android mobile using DLNA 1.5 to stream directly to the SR-7009. This seems to be the most stable so far.
I did manage to get AirPlay back again by doing yet another router reboot. We'll see how long that lasts. Has anyone else experienced the unstable volume control problem with AirPlay?
post #2394 of 3529 Old 07-20-2015, 12:22 AM

[quote=SLO HiFi Guy;35885554]
Quote:

Sorry, I'm not very well versed on the AV side of things. I don't understand your recommendation for 9.1 if I only have a 5.2.2 configuration (using ceiling speakers, not the upward-firing front Atmos additions) with no plans for FH or RH speakers. I'm missing your point--thanks for your newbie patience
With your present use case, although you are fine using the AMP ASSIGN = ATMOS setting, should one day down the road you plan to add FH or RH speakers you would be unable to using the ATMOS configuration. The primary take away is that the ATMOS configuration does NOT have to be selected in order to play ATMOS BDs.
SLO HiFi Guy likes this.
post #2395 of 3529 Old 07-20-2015, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
DSD decoding over HDMI actually begins with the SR6009, so yes, it can also be done on the SR7009. The limitation is your Oppo 103. Although on the 103D DSD audio can be sent out over HDMI 1, on the 103 and earlier models, I believe it can only pass on HDMI 2.
thank you for your reply it has worked in HDMI 2 but only limited to 88.2khz not full data of 2.8! if it matters i am running only 1 HDMI cable for both video and audio.
post #2396 of 3529 Old 07-20-2015, 07:16 AM

I need to buy my AV receiver when I am on holiday in July/August, I have narrowed my choice to the Denon 6200 and Marantz 7010. The only problem non of these two will be available then. So my other choice is Marantz 7009 and Denon 5200. Is not having Hdcp 2.2 going to be a problem as I will have a 4K TV. What are the implications of going 5200/7009 now as opposed to waiting for 6200/7010.
post #2397 of 3529 Old 07-20-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
I need to buy my AV receiver when I am on holiday in July/August, I have narrowed my choice to the Denon 6200 and Marantz 7010. The only problem non of these two will be available then. So my other choice is Marantz 7009 and Denon 5200. Is not having Hdcp 2.2 going to be a problem as I will have a 4K TV. What are the implications of going 5200/7009 now as opposed to waiting for 6200/7010.
When the new 4k/HDCP 2.2 BDPs are released later this fall, simply purchase a dual HDMI out model so you can pass the 4k/HDCP 2.2 video to the 4k/HDCP 2.2 TV and the HD audio to the non-HDCP 2.2 AVR.
post #2398 of 3529 Old 07-20-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
When the new 4k/HDCP 2.2 BDPs are released later this fall, simply purchase a dual HDMI out model so you can pass the 4k/HDCP 2.2 video to the 4k/HDCP 2.2 TV and the HD audio to the non-HDCP 2.2 AVR.
So the issue will only be BDP's, what about if I stream 4k content through AirPlay or other sources, will that be a problem. I am just trying to be as future proof as possible.
post #2399 of 3529 Old 07-20-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
So the issue will only be BDP's, what about if I stream 4k content through AirPlay or other sources, will that be a problem. I am just trying to be as future proof as possible.

The issue is 4k/HDCP 2.2 "video" cannot pass through a 2014 or earlier model (eg. SR7009 or X5200W). Airplay on these AVRs will only pass "audio" so HDCP 2.2 is not a concern.
post #2400 of 3529 Old 07-20-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
The issue is 4k/HDCP 2.2 "video" cannot pass through a 2014 or earlier model (eg. SR7009 or X5200W). Airplay on these AVRs will only pass "audio" so HDCP 2.2 is not a concern.
Thanks JDSmoothie, you are always very helpful. If I use Netflix or other 4k sources on Apple TV etc will that also not be an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
media mode , second sub , SR7009 , svs 20-39 , usb dac

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page