Marantz AV8802 13.2 XLR Pre/Pro **Official Thread** - Page 441 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12747Likes

post #13201 of 15369 Old 05-05-2017, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
1. Yes.
2. The 2016 models need a firmware update to pass Dolby Vision. Nothing earlier than 2016 models can pass Dolby Vision nor are scheduled for a Dolby Vision update.
So I guess that means any talk of the 8802a receiving a future FW update that includes DV is not accurate? I wonder......why does D&M keep dangling the apple in front of the horse cart anytime someone asks them about a future DV upgrade for the 8802a? Oh well, with the first DV bluray slated to be released on June 6th and probably others coming sometime in the foreseeable future, we have time to figure out what avenue to take. I was hoping the 8802a would be the last AVR purchase I would make but I can see that was wishful thinking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13202 of 15369 Old 05-05-2017, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 692 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21893 Post(s)
Liked: 11866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post
So I guess that means any talk of the 8802a receiving a future FW update that includes DV is not accurate? I wonder......why does D&M keep dangling the apple in front of the horse cart anytime someone asks them about a future DV upgrade for the 8802a? Oh well, with the first DV bluray slated to be released on June 6th and probably others coming sometime in the foreseeable future, we have time to figure out what avenue to take. I was hoping the 8802a would be the last AVR purchase I would make but I can see that was wishful thinking.

Between Vudu/Netflix/Amazon, there are at least 80 Dolby Vision titles currently available to stream.
post #13203 of 15369 Old 05-05-2017, 11:02 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Quoted: 10930 Post(s)
Liked: 6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post
The least expensive interim alternative is to connect the player directly to your DV-ready display. Other than losing the OSD from the 8802A, I don't see any other downsides, assuming of course that running a second HDMI cable to your display isn't a major concern. And as for the OSD, the 8802A's web interface does a good job of providing the necessary functionality. Given the rapidly evolving technology in today's video world, postponing an AVR upgrade for as long as possible is prudent, IMO. And other than missing DV, the 8802A is still a fine product.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13204 of 15369 Old 05-05-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
The least expensive interim alternative is to connect the player directly to your DV-ready display. Other than losing the OSD from the 8802A, I don't see any other downsides, assuming of course that running a second HDMI cable to your display isn't a major concern. And as for the OSD, the 8802A's web interface does a good job of providing the necessary functionality. Given the rapidly evolving technology in today's video world, postponing an AVR upgrade for as long as possible is prudent, IMO. And other than missing DV, the 8802A is still a fine product.
Not to mention it can still do Front Wides!
post #13205 of 15369 Old 05-05-2017, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
1. Yes.
2. The 2016 models need a firmware update to pass Dolby Vision. Nothing earlier than 2016 models can pass Dolby Vision nor are scheduled for a Dolby Vision update.
Won't pass even with video processor turned off then?
Hmm

Thanks, JD

Steve
post #13206 of 15369 Old 05-05-2017, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Not to mention it can still do Front Wides!
Any news as to when the new model (8804?) will be out? Announcement at CEDIA perhaps?

Thanks JD!

Steve
post #13207 of 15369 Old 05-05-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post
Won't pass even with video processor turned off then?
Hmm

Thanks, JD
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post
Any news as to when the new model (8804?) will be out? Announcement at CEDIA perhaps?

Thanks JD!
Likely in January when the AV8802 was released.
post #13208 of 15369 Old 05-05-2017, 02:27 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:

JD, not to keep asking the same question over and over, but I want to make sure I understand. When I play a disk with DV encoding from a DV-ready player connected to the 8802A, which of these occurs:

1. The video is passed to the display, but DV encoding is stripped.
2. No video is passed at all, i.e. the display has a blank screen.
3. The HDMI handshake fails with an "incompatible device" message.
post #13209 of 15369 Old 05-05-2017, 02:30 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1859 Post(s)
Liked: 2249
Quote:
JD, not to keep asking the same question over and over, but I want to make sure I understand. When I play a disk with DV encoding from a DV-ready player connected to the 8802A, which of these occurs:

The handshaking between the player and the 8802 should tell the player that DV isn't supported, which should result in video without the DV bits being sent. Essentially, it should be the same result as connecting the player to a display that doesn't support DV.
post #13210 of 15369 Old 05-05-2017, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Liked: 521
When I called Marantz the other day to find out what the firmware update details were i was talking too the customer service rep about Dolby Vision pass-Through. She told me now that they have and implemented the SKM that was provided by Dolby they know in fact that the 8802a can pass dolby vision with a firmware update. It was indicated that they are planning on giving the 8802a a DV update for pass-through, time will only tell.
budeone, alebonau, Franin and 1 others like this.
post #13211 of 15369 Old 05-05-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:

What gsr said. Also note that if the video is HDR10 encoded (as it will likely be when Dolby Vision is also present), the HDR10 should pass through.
post #13212 of 15369 Old 05-05-2017, 03:57 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
The handshaking between the player and the 8802 should tell the player that DV isn't supported, which should result in video without the DV bits being sent. Essentially, it should be the same result as connecting the player to a display that doesn't support DV.
Quote:
What gsr said. Also note that if the video is HDR10 encoded (as it will likely be when Dolby Vision is also present), the HDR10 should pass through.
Thanks, this is what I was expecting, and had hoped for. If we received a black screen on the display, that would have been disappointing. I can do without DV for the time being, given the expense of constantly chasing these new technologies. My Oppo is supposed to eventually be able to support DV, but my Sony XBRX940D will never be upgraded.
post #13213 of 15369 Old 05-05-2017, 11:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2275 Post(s)
Liked: 2775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
When I called Marantz the other day to find out what the firmware update details were i was talking too the customer service rep about Dolby Vision pass-Through. She told me now that they have and implemented the SKM that was provided by Dolby they know in fact that the 8802a can pass dolby vision with a firmware update. It was indicated that they are planning on giving the 8802a a DV update for pass-through, time will only tell.
Interesting!
alebonau and marcuslaw like this.
post #13214 of 15369 Old 05-06-2017, 03:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
what is very unfortunate...and I think perhaps this is what OEMs do to constantly have the tills turning over... is while it is wished when a new format is released it would come with a full spec and you buy gear in hope it is fulling meeting spec. certainly i bought the 8802 wiht this in mind for uhd blu-ray. and why we got the option of the A upgrade keeping it upto spec.

it would be very disappointing quite frankly if it turned around that their flagship product so early in its life will be crippled in capability in non supporting a video standard ?

gees ? many devices are getting firmware updates to enable DV... even displays for hecks sake ? e.g. the sony ones going back in catalog. seems really crazy that something like the 8802 wouldn't be able. to

if its matter of a new hdmi board...gee like the A upgrade bring out a B upgrade ala hdmi 2.0b or something that again replaces the hdmi board and charge us for it again. but for F sake we wouldn't have to throw baby out with the bath water and have to dump these units just for basic video pass through capability for a audio processor !
mcallister and audiofan1 like this.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #13215 of 15369 Old 05-06-2017, 05:10 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3033 Post(s)
Liked: 1976
Marantz AV8802 13.2 XLR Pre/Pro **Official Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
what is very unfortunate...and I think perhaps this is what OEMs do to constantly have the tills turning over... is while it is wished when a new format is released it would come with a full spec and you buy gear in hope it is fulling meeting spec. certainly i bought the 8802 wiht this in mind for uhd blu-ray. and why we got the option of the A upgrade keeping it upto spec.

it would be very disappointing quite frankly if it turned around that their flagship product so early in its life will be crippled in capability in non supporting a video standard ?

gees ? many devices are getting firmware updates to enable DV... even displays for hecks sake ? e.g. the sony ones going back in catalog. seems really crazy that something like the 8802 wouldn't be able. to

if its matter of a new hdmi board...gee like the A upgrade bring out a B upgrade ala hdmi 2.0b or something that again replaces the hdmi board and charge us for it again. but for F sake we wouldn't have to throw baby out with the bath water and have to dump these units just for basic video pass through capability for a audio processor !

I will never do a hardware upgrade again. Done it twice once with the Denon A1XVA ( 1080p upgrade ) and the other with the DENON AVP A1HD ( forgot what it was for ) that apparently caused heat issues and problems with the unit.

If we get DV update that would be great if not and I decide to visit 4K I will just use my oppo 203 hdmi out to display.

audiofan1 likes this.

God Bless,
Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #13216 of 15369 Old 05-06-2017, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dolby Vision Pass through is not a hardware upgrade it is a firmware upgrade according to maranta customer service and Marantz knows this because they have already tested the SKM and implemented it into new models with HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2. Wait and see what happens before you go out and buy something new just for Dolby vision pass through. A good salesperson is going to work your emotion and get you to spend when you mind not have to. Sales guys are in business to make money. I was a salesperson for 22 years selling medical equipment inside and outside the operating room. i was a horrible salesperson however very successful because I was honest and customers liked me.
alebonau and audiofan1 like this.
post #13217 of 15369 Old 05-06-2017, 05:31 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:

I can certainly understand your frustration. My Sony XBRX940D is actually newer than my 8802A, and it is not scheduled to receive a DV update. Given that I paid US$6,000 for the Sony, I am not inclined to get rid of it quite yet. So connecting the Oppo directly to the display is not even an option in my case.
post #13218 of 15369 Old 05-06-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Dolby Vision Pass through is not a hardware upgrade it is a firmware upgrade according to maranta customer service and Marantz knows this because they have already tested the SKM and implemented it into new models with HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2. Wait and see what happens before you go out and buy something new just for Dolby vision pass through. A good salesperson is going to work your emotion and get you to spend when you mind not have to. Sales guys are in business to make money. I was a salesperson for 22 years selling medical equipment inside and outside the operating room. i was a horrible salesperson however very successful because I was honest and customers liked me.

I already have the 203 Dave which is getting the Dolby Vision update soon I've been told. I'm hoping the 8802A get it's too be honest.

God Bless,
post #13219 of 15369 Old 05-06-2017, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
I will never do a hardware upgrade again. Done it twice once with the Denon A1XVA ( 1080p upgrade ) and the other with the DENON AVP A1HD ( forgot what it was for ) that apparently caused heat issues and problems with the unit.

If we get DV update that would be great if not and I decide to visit 4K I will just use my oppo 203 hdmi out to display.

I too have given that some thought as a work-a-round and am not sure I could live with not having OSD from the Marantz everytime I play shiny disc media.

As was mentioned a few posts back, there's only 80 or so DV programs available for streaming at this point and the first DV bluray isn't arriving on the shelves until June 6th. I think we might all be getting prematurely excited as everything is currently in a state of flux. When I start seeing DV encoded blurays that I might like to purchase, then, at that point, if the 8802a has not received an update, I can better make a decision on which road to travel.
audiofan1 likes this.
post #13220 of 15369 Old 05-06-2017, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I already have the 203 Dave which is getting the Dolby Vision update soon I've been told. I'm hoping the 8802A get it's too be honest.

I am in the exact same boat. I have updated my processor twice myself and do not plan on buying another just for the next best thing. If I do I am going to wait and see what happens with HDMI 2.1 but I can assure you I will most likely leave the Denon/marantz camp. When I make the move it will be when we move into a house and out of our condo and I go the projector route and replace everything and drop some serious cash north of six figures.
post #13221 of 15369 Old 05-06-2017, 10:46 AM
TL5
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
I am in the exact same boat. I have updated my processor twice myself and do not plan on buying another just for the next best thing. If I do I am going to wait and see what happens with HDMI 2.1 but I can assure you I will most likely leave the Denon/marantz camp. When I make the move it will be when we move into a house and out of our condo and I go the projector route and replace everything and drop some serious cash north of six figures.
Kind of funny...if you do go the projector route, Dolby Vision is basically a non - issue.
post #13222 of 15369 Old 05-06-2017, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL5 View Post
Kind of funny...if you do go the projector route, Dolby Vision is basically a non - issue.
Most likely I will do something like a screen dropping from the ceiling for a projector and a 77" OLED will be behind it for normal TV viewing. System will be a in- wall high end 9.4.6 system maybe Wisdom, KEF Ci extreme, James or complete different direction with JBL Professional Cinema. My father in-law builds ultra high end homes and has contractors who can build just about anything so the sky is the limit with ideas and design.
alebonau and Maddmaster like this.
post #13223 of 15369 Old 05-06-2017, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 48
The projector route works great and no issues. I've been using projection now almost 10 years.
Franin likes this.

Definitive Technology:Front Height - Mythos Gem XL
Front - Mythos ST-L, Center - Mythos 10 & 8
Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref, SVS SB13 Ultra, SVS SB16 Ultra
There can never be enough music
post #13224 of 15369 Old 05-06-2017, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Most likely I will do something like a screen dropping from the ceiling for a projector and a 77" OLED will be behind it for normal TV viewing. System will be a in- wall high end 9.4.6 system maybe Wisdom, KEF Ci extreme, James or complete different direction with JBL Professional Cinema. My father in-law builds ultra high end homes and has contractors who can build just about anything so the sky is the limit with ideas and design.
its how I run things with my old pio kuro now on a wall mount and a screen that drops in front with a jvc x7000 firing onto it. kuro for tv and projector for movies

my problem is likely the kuro will turn up and die one day replacing with a screen no doubt dolby V capable...

and id hate to be having to do stupid things like re routing bypassing the marantz and such for everyday tv use and such when the marantz is pretty much their flagship piece ! and simple case of DV passing which you wouldn't think be asking for hell to freeze over or something .
Dave-T likes this.

post #13225 of 15369 Old 05-06-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmaster View Post
The projector route works great and no issues. I've been using projection now almost 10 years.

Same.

God Bless,
post #13226 of 15369 Old 05-06-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:

and id hate to be having to do stupid things like re routing bypassing the marantz and such for everyday tv use and such when the marantz is pretty much their flagship piece ! and simple case of DV passing which you wouldn't think be asking for hell to freeze over or something .

Exactly Al. This is why I'm not impressed with D&M. It's not their products ( which I like ) it's the people behind them. If oppo is able to upgrade to DV via firmware so can Marantz 8802A. I was interested in the App as well but you made a good point it doesnt use the proper calibrated mic.

God Bless,
post #13227 of 15369 Old 05-07-2017, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
I called Marantz about the latest firmware update and here is what it entails. I also asked again about Dolby Vision pass-through.

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. Below is a summary of your request and our response. If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may reopen it within the next 30 days. Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.
To access your question from our support site, click here
Subject
Firmware Update / / Marantz

Response By Email (Customer Care Team) (05/02/2017 05:28 PM)
Hello Dave,

Thank you for contacting D+M, we value you as a D+M customer and appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance!

We will have more information regarding Dolby Vision in the near future.

Regarding the latest firmware update, the notes are as follows.
Update upcoming for April 2017:
Version: 6990-3170-5260-00

1) Added support of the Marantz Remote App version 2.2.0
2) Counteracted upcoming Spotify platform changes.
3) Corrected issue where Audyssey data would not save with Quick Selects
4) Corrected issue where Info screen would not disappear after AVR power up.

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact us again.

Thank you for contacting D+M Customer Support. Have a great day!
Is there anyone having any issues with the latest firmware upgrade?
After the I completed the firmware upgrade,I ran audyssey and my crossover points are completely different from where they were before the upgrade.
My Front Left and Right are crossing over @120 hz after the update before the update it was 60hz consistently.
post #13228 of 15369 Old 05-07-2017, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Exactly Al. This is why I'm not impressed with D&M. It's not their products ( which I like ) it's the people behind them. If oppo is able to upgrade to DV via firmware so can Marantz 8802A. I was interested in the App as well but you made a good point it doesnt use the proper calibrated mic.

wonder what ever happened to @SteveH about the only allies we had in marantz, now times have moved on and people have bought in... we just seem to be left to the wolves...

post #13229 of 15369 Old 05-07-2017, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I added a new rug in front of my tv and couch so I had to rerun audyessy after the update and everything showed up pretty much the same after the results. I did however notice that audyseey was sending a really loud measurement sound on the front left speaker which is something that never happened before. I may rerun audyssey again this weekend to see if I get the same results. I have read that if you run audyessy three times in a row you will not get the same results. My atmos speaker distances always change within .2 in distance but the crossovers are always 40Hz for all of the bed and ceiling speakers except the mains which are always set to large which I change to small after the calibration.
post #13230 of 15369 Old 05-07-2017, 06:53 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
I added a new rug in front of my tv and couch so I had to rerun audyessy after the update and everything showed up pretty much the same after the results. I did however notice that audyseey was sending a really loud measurement sound on the front left speaker which is something that never happened before. I may rerun audyssey again this weekend to see if I get the same results. I have read that if you run audyessy three times in a row you will not get the same results. My atmos speaker distances always change within .2 in distance but the crossovers are always 40Hz for all of the bed and ceiling speakers except the mains which are always set to large which I change to small after the calibration.
If Audyssey perceives the chirp from any speaker is too low, it will increase the volume and re-run the chirp. It would be obvious if this is happening, because you would hear two successive chirps to that speaker. If this is the case, the rug may be affecting the level that Audyssey is hearing.

As for inconsistent results from Audyssey with successive calibrations, this (in theory) should not be happening. There is, of course, some degree of variability in mic placement that is difficult to avoid, which could account for minor variations, but not significant differences. In the many calibrations I have done over the last 4-5 years, I have rarely seen significant variations that were not immediately explainable by some change I had made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
marantz av8802

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page