Marantz AV8802 13.2 XLR Pre/Pro **Official Thread** - Page 466 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12744Likes

post #13951 of 15361 Old 08-07-2017, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4807 Post(s)
Liked: 2844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
I unplugged the 12v trigger from the marantz 8802a and then powered on the 8802a and I did not hear anything, the amps did not power on. Does that mean that i have a bad 12v trigger? if so how do now if it is i the amp or the processor.

Thanks

Dave
While troubleshooting, make sure you unplug both pre/pro and amps from wall power and wait a few minutes before you plug and unplug the trigger cables. Marantz (and Denon) trigger circuits are extremely delicate and will fry if you accidentally touch their cables to ground while they're powered on. Because of the design of the cables, that is very easy to do. This design flaw has been present but not fixed in their equipment for years.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13952 of 15361 Old 08-07-2017, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
I unplugged the 12v trigger from the marantz 8802a and then powered on the 8802a and I did not hear anything, the amps did not power on. Does that mean that i have a bad 12v trigger? if so how do now if it is i the amp or the processor.

Thanks

Dave

I'd do what the others recommended but also ground the marantz to the rotel case.

At my house and even at best buy / magnolia the rotel rmb1585 has a very slight hiss coming from the tweeters. I spoke to rotel about this and they said these amps have a hiss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13953 of 15361 Old 08-07-2017, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie789 View Post
I'd do what the others recommended but also ground the marantz to the rotel case.

At my house and even at best buy / magnolia the rotel rmb1585 has a very slight hiss coming from the tweeters. I spoke to rotel about this and they said these amps have a hiss.

That is what it is I think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13954 of 15361 Old 08-07-2017, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie789 View Post

This may be a stupid question but how do I ground the amp to the 8802a? Also do I ground both amps or just the first one in the chain. IS that what a Audioquest ground goody is used for?

Last edited by Dave-T; 08-07-2017 at 08:47 AM.
post #13955 of 15361 Old 08-07-2017, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Marantz AV8802 13.2 XLR Pre/Pro **Official Thread**

Quote:
This may be a stupid question but how do I ground the amp to the 8802a? Also do I ground both amps or just the first one in the chain. IS that what a Audioquest ground goody is used for?

If both amps are in the same outlet, they already share a ground.

I ran a 12ga copper speaker wire in lieu of a real deal ground wire from the Marantz ground to a screw in the amp case. If the amp has a three prong outlet, it's case is most liked grounded to the ground prong.

If grounding to one amp doesn't work then...
You could always try running a ground between the two amp cases or splitting the ground if the marantz only has one ground plug.

Last edited by Newbie789; 08-07-2017 at 09:22 AM.
post #13956 of 15361 Old 08-08-2017, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Audyssey Sounds Good?

I did the whole audyssey calibration thing with the mic. When it was activated... man.... i did NOT like the sound at ALL! I liked the sound way better uncalibrated just doing the manual set up of the speakers. I reset it and turned audyssey the heck off. Did I do something wrong? I followed all the steps. To me it sounds way better with no Audyssey. The difference in when switching between Audyssey and the Oppo UDP 205 DAC was night and day (oppo sounding way better) whereas switching between the Oppo DAC and the Marantz uncalibrated sounded very similar to each other.
post #13957 of 15361 Old 08-08-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manganzon81 View Post
I did the whole audyssey calibration thing with the mic. When it was activated... man.... i did NOT like the sound at ALL! I liked the sound way better uncalibrated just doing the manual set up of the speakers. I reset it and turned audyssey the heck off. Did I do something wrong? I followed all the steps. To me it sounds way better with no Audyssey. The difference in when switching between Audyssey and the Oppo UDP 205 DAC was night and day (oppo sounding way better) whereas switching between the Oppo DAC and the Marantz uncalibrated sounded very similar to each other.
Sometimes there's something wrong with the microphone. Other times people do things that they think should be OK while calibrating, but really are no-nos, like holding the microphone in their hands or putting it on pillows.

If you haven't already, please take the time to look through the Audyssey 101/FAQ. It'll help you to get a good calibration. The instructions in the receiver's owner's manual are pathetically inadequate.

Selden

post #13958 of 15361 Old 08-08-2017, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can I Use Zone Outputs As Fixed Record Outs?

Hello. This is my very first post on this mighty large forum. I came here to learn more about the new 8802a I just bought, and wow, what a thread. 466 pages!!! It took me reading up to about page 100 just to get to where people actually started receiving the physical unit! You all have been posting about this thing for a long time! From there I sort of scrolled through but didn’t see anything about my question, so I decided to make a post.

Since this unit doesn’t have any digital (Toslink or coax) or analog (RCA) record outputs, I was wondering if the Zone outputs could be used for that purpose? I have an old Pioneer CD Recorder I like to use and I’d love to be able to hook it up via it’s analog (RCA) inputs to multiple other sources. A single record out on this awesome pre-amp would serve my needs, but alas, no such thing. I went looking in the on-line manual and it talks about being able to adjust the settings for what basically sounds like variable and “locked”. Variable I get. It’s the locked I think I need. I’m wondering if there is any available volume setting I could lock it to that would replicate the same amount of output signal as what an old “fixed” record out would? Like maybe the very lowest setting? I certainly don’t want to fry my fixed input on the Pioneer recorder, or have levels so high they won’t record. So any help answering this for me from people who either know or have tried it out would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Cheers ----- Bonzo
post #13959 of 15361 Old 08-09-2017, 07:36 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo17 View Post
Hello. This is my very first post on this mighty large forum. I came here to learn more about the new 8802a I just bought, and wow, what a thread. 466 pages!!! It took me reading up to about page 100 just to get to where people actually started receiving the physical unit! You all have been posting about this thing for a long time! From there I sort of scrolled through but didn’t see anything about my question, so I decided to make a post.

Since this unit doesn’t have any digital (Toslink or coax) or analog (RCA) record outputs, I was wondering if the Zone outputs could be used for that purpose? I have an old Pioneer CD Recorder I like to use and I’d love to be able to hook it up via it’s analog (RCA) inputs to multiple other sources. A single record out on this awesome pre-amp would serve my needs, but alas, no such thing. I went looking in the on-line manual and it talks about being able to adjust the settings for what basically sounds like variable and “locked”. Variable I get. It’s the locked I think I need. I’m wondering if there is any available volume setting I could lock it to that would replicate the same amount of output signal as what an old “fixed” record out would? Like maybe the very lowest setting? I certainly don’t want to fry my fixed input on the Pioneer recorder, or have levels so high they won’t record. So any help answering this for me from people who either know or have tried it out would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Cheers ----- Bonzo

Yes, Bonzo, not having a record out on this otherwise full-featured pre/pro surprised and frustrated me as well. Zone Out is the solution, for sure. That's how I got my Tascam CD recorder and Bluetooth transmitter to work. (The built in Bluetooth is receive only.) Zone Out isn't elegant for this purpose, but it does work.
post #13960 of 15361 Old 08-09-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster27 View Post

Yes, Bonzo, not having a record out on this otherwise full-featured pre/pro surprised and frustrated me as well.
Are you and I the only 2 people on this entire 8802 thread to even miss not having a tape loop out? Since my post yesterday I've done more searching and the only place I even see anyone discussing it is you back on page 363 of this forum. I can't believe nobody does needle drops or other recording anymore. I guess Marantz wasn't so crazy leaving it off, just you and me.

Quote:
Zone Out is the solution, for sure. That's how I got my Tascam CD recorder and Bluetooth transmitter to work. (The built in Bluetooth is receive only.) Zone Out isn't elegant for this purpose, but it does work.
Thank you very much for confirming it works!

So how do you have yours hooked up exactly? Via the Analog RCA Zone 2? If so, which volume do you have the output set to? Back on page 363 you said you were going to start at the zero setting. Did that work? I'd like to use this analog output so everything that starts from analog stays in the analog realm. I want to hook my CD player, Bluray player, and DirecTV box up to the 8802 via 2 channel analog, then use the output to my Pioneer CD-Recorder to make audio CD's of stuff (like audio CD's of concerts etc from DirecTV). Same goes for making future needle drops from a record player, and having more control over the analog input on the Pioneer). I know it's not a tape loop situation, but that's fine. I just want to get the proper level signal from many analog components to one recorder. Another alternative might be to use a splitter with a switch of some sort, but that's even less elegant.

Last night I was reading the manual some more and it appears there might also be a way to use the HDMI Zone 2 outputs for digital signals. It appears you can set the HDMI Zone 2 to output full signal, or just PCM. If I set it to PCM, then in theory a CD-Recorder should be able to handle it. The catch is that my Pioneer only has Toslink and RCA digital inputs. But I'm thinking I could buy an HDMI audio extractor with a Toslink output, and use it that way. That way I could just have my CD player (only has 1 Toslink output) hooked up to the 8802, then have the digital signal go back out through the HDMI Zone 2 to the digital input on the Pioneer. Other alternatives include buying a new CD player that has both a Toslink and RCA digital output (or just not use the player I have and use my universal player instead), but I really like the ergonomics and loading speed of my current old beast. I could also just buy a Toslink splitter and split the signal from the CD player and send one to the Pioneer and one to the 8802. Decisions decisions. But at least it appears I can make it work.

In my opinion, the biggest thing this 8802 is missing is at least one RCA analog tape loop connection (2 would be better), a few more digital inputs, and at least 1 digital Toslink and/or RCA digital output (1 of each would be better). But like I said in the beginning, I guess that's just me. Other people just don't seem to care anymore. Frustrating.

Thanks again.
post #13961 of 15361 Old 08-09-2017, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
So how do you have yours hooked up exactly? Via the Analog RCA Zone 2? If so, which volume do you have the output set to? Back on page 363 you said you were going to start at the zero setting. Did that work?
I use Zone 2 for the CD recorder. I use that for duping LPs and cassettes. Zone 3 is hooked up to the Bluetooth transmitter. I beam that to a Bose Soundlink Mini II so I can get my tunes on the patio. The connection for each is a pair of RCA cables. 0 db for the volume has worked fine. I hadn't thought about the Zone 2 HDMI out, but good to know if I ever need a third option. But, yeah, a dedicated tape loop sure would have been nice. But like you say, I guess we're outliers.
Bonzo17 likes this.
post #13962 of 15361 Old 08-09-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster27 View Post
I use Zone 2 for the CD recorder. I use that for duping LPs and cassettes. Zone 3 is hooked up to the Bluetooth transmitter. I beam that to a Bose Soundlink Mini II so I can get my tunes on the patio. The connection for each is a pair of RCA cables. 0 db for the volume has worked fine. I hadn't thought about the Zone 2 HDMI out, but good to know if I ever need a third option. But, yeah, a dedicated tape loop sure would have been nice. But like you say, I guess we're outliers.
Thanks for your help, much appreciated!

Great idea for the Bluetooth. Easy way to basically make it wireless. I'm going to give that a try too myself.

Cheers ---- Bonzo
post #13963 of 15361 Old 08-13-2017, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Hi gang, I trust everyone is well.

I have a Cisco (Technicolor) Cable box 8650HDC.

I currently run HDMI from the Cable Box into my AV8802A, and then onto my projector.

I simply cannot get DD 5.1 audio, no matter what I do, only DD Plus from the cable box. Grrrrrrrr....

Can I run optical cable from my cable box into my AV 8802A, then have video through HDMI and audio from the optical output??

How do I select audio from the cable box via Optical, while still having HDMI for video?

Is that possible??

-----------------------------------------------------------

Update: I think I figured this out, for future reference for others.... http://manuals.marantz.com/AV8802/NA...SYipessqvi.php

I guess I simply select "Digital" ...
Input Select

Set the audio input mode and decode mode of each input source.

The input modes available for selection may vary depending on the input source.
post #13964 of 15361 Old 08-13-2017, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 690 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21844 Post(s)
Liked: 11839
Quote:
Last night I was reading the manual some more and it appears there might also be a way to use the HDMI Zone 2 outputs for digital signals. It appears you can set the HDMI Zone 2 to output full signal, or just PCM. If I set it to PCM, then in theory a CD-Recorder should be able to handle it. The catch is that my Pioneer only has Toslink and RCA digital inputs. But I'm thinking I could buy an HDMI audio extractor with a Toslink output, and use it that way. That way I could just have my CD player (only has 1 Toslink output) hooked up to the 8802, then have the digital signal go back out through the HDMI Zone 2 to the digital input on the Pioneer. Other alternatives include buying a new CD player that has both a Toslink and RCA digital output (or just not use the player I have and use my universal player instead), but I really like the ergonomics and loading speed of my current old beast. I could also just buy a Toslink splitter and split the signal from the CD player and send one to the Pioneer and one to the 8802. Decisions decisions. But at least it appears I can make it work.
The PCM signal setting would apply to the Zone 2 pre-outs, as the HDMI source signal is passed as is to the Zone 2 HDMI sink.
post #13965 of 15361 Old 08-14-2017, 02:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I simply cannot get DD 5.1 audio, no matter what I do, only DD Plus from the cable box.
Just curious why? Isn't DD+ a better and newer format than DD5.1?

Marantz AV8802A | Wyred 4 Sound (500W X 3, 250W X 2) | Marantz MM7025 (140W X 2) | Oppo UDP-203 | Roon ROCK Music Server | ATV4K | Vero 4K+ | LG OLED 65E6P | MiniDSP DDRC-88A | Oppo PM1's | APC H-15 power conditioners (x2) | GoldenEar Triton 1's (FL & FR) | SuperCenter XL (C) | Aon 2's (SL & SR) | SuperSat 3's (FHL & FHR) | SVS PB13-Ultra | Unraid NAS 40TB
post #13966 of 15361 Old 08-14-2017, 02:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I recently bought a audyssey pro kit. Does anyone have a link to where I register my 8802 so I can use it? Did a search but still couldn't find where to actually purchase the license.

post #13967 of 15361 Old 08-14-2017, 04:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbrent View Post
Just curious why? Isn't DD+ a better and newer format than DD5.1?
Good point. All I was getting was matrixed Dolby Surround from a two channel source. The resultant output was 90%+ audio from only my center channel.
post #13968 of 15361 Old 08-14-2017, 04:55 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Quoted: 10899 Post(s)
Liked: 6489
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcallister View Post
I recently bought a audyssey pro kit. Does anyone have a link to where I register my 8802 so I can use it? Did a search but still couldn't find where to actually purchase the license.
https://installer.audyssey.com/Home.aspx
mcallister likes this.
post #13969 of 15361 Old 08-14-2017, 04:57 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Good point. All I was getting was matrixed Dolby Surround from a two channel source. The resultant output was 90%+ audio from only my center channel.
That would be called Dolby Pro Logic or Dolby Surround, depending on how new your AVR is, not DD+. Or you could call it 2.0.
Cain and captainbrent like this.
post #13970 of 15361 Old 08-14-2017, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have never seen my 8802a decode Dolby Digital Plus. I do see Dolby Digital + Neutral X which i assume is Dolby Digital with the DTS up mixer. i use DTS up mixer instead of the Dolby one because it seems that DTS Neutral makes the atoms speakers fire more, probably just in my head . I know Apple TV uses Dolby Digital Plus but again i have never seen it. Is there something you have to do to get it to engage?
post #13971 of 15361 Old 08-14-2017, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
I have never seen my 8802a decode Dolby Digital Plus. I do see Dolby Digital + Neutral X which i assume is Dolby Digital with the DTS up mixer. i use DTS up mixer instead of the Dolby one because it seems that DTS Neutral makes the atoms speakers fire more, probably just in my head . I know Apple TV uses Dolby Digital Plus but again i have never seen it. Is there something you have to do to get it to engage?
The 8802 will definitely decode Dolby Digital + as that's what I get when streaming from Netflix through my Panasonic BD player. Pretty sure that's the only source I get it from, so maybe you are just missing sources that output DD+.

I actually use Dolby Surround due to the same observation that the heights are more active with the DTS upmixer. Just got the opposite preference of a more laidback response from them in that regard.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

TV: Samsung 65" UHD LED | Sources: PS4; Panasonic DMP-BT460; LG UB870; Dell 7010 SFF; Roku Ultra | AVP: Marantz AV8802A | Amps: Emotiva XPA-1L\100 (LR\C); Outlaw Audio 7125 | Front LR\C: JBL Studio 590\Studio 520C | Surrounds: JBL P520WS | Subs: PSA S1801 | Heights: JBL Pro Control CRV (2)
post #13972 of 15361 Old 08-15-2017, 02:49 AM

Quote:
1. Then you've never had a source pass DD+ before.
2. Correct.
post #13973 of 15361 Old 08-15-2017, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Seriously considering buying an 8802.

Im tossing up between the Yamaha CX-A5100 and the 8802. There's a fair price difference, but someone I trust says the Marantz is across the board a slightly better unit.

I don't want to start a brand war, but I'd be intrigued to know if anyone here has anecdotal experiences with both units and could comment on the differences that make the purchase worth it? I know Audessy is one major difference.
post #13974 of 15361 Old 08-15-2017, 09:36 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_richardson View Post

I know Audessy is one major difference.
'Nuff said...
audiofan1 likes this.
post #13975 of 15361 Old 08-15-2017, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Now that we know the 8802a is going to get a Dolby Vision pass-through update I would go with the 8802a, it is a solid processor that does not have any issues. Most including myself seem to like it. If you do not like Audyessy and prefer YPAO that is another situation.
audiofan1 likes this.
post #13976 of 15361 Old 08-15-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Now that we know the 8802a is going to get a Dolby Vision pass-through update I would go with the 8802a, it is a solid processor that does not have any issues. Most including myself seem to like it. If you do not like Audyessy and prefer YPAO that is another situation.
Depending on the time frame for purchase ... I'd consider holding out for the newer AV8804 in the spring 2018 which will include HEOS and more features.
post #13977 of 15361 Old 08-16-2017, 04:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
Quote:
agree, though am not sure why anyone would specifically like/want ypao given its eq deficiencies, but anyway,

best to grab 8802a I would suggest, while still can especially since can use the audyssey pro kit with it and something the av8804 looks to omit compatibility with... leaving just the cheapo plastic mic for calibration as only option. rather than the pro kit which comes with the calibrated mic, mic pre amp and stand etc that can use with the 8802a for excellent result

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #13978 of 15361 Old 08-16-2017, 04:27 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3003 Post(s)
Liked: 1968
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
agree, though am not sure why anyone would specifically like/want ypao given its eq deficiencies, but anyway,

best to grab 8802a I would suggest, while still can especially since can use the audyssey pro kit with it and something the av8804 looks to omit compatibility with... leaving just the cheapo plastic mic for calibration as only option. rather than the pro kit which comes with the calibrated mic, mic pre amp and stand etc that can use with the 8802a for excellent result

Apart from HEOS which I don't care for I'm curious too see what else is coming out with the upcoming marantz pre amp.
audiofan1 likes this.

God Bless,
Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #13979 of 15361 Old 08-17-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Many, perhaps all, of Dolby's Atmos demo videos include two soundtracks. One soundtrack uses Dolby TrueHD as the transport and the other soundtrack uses Dolby Digital Plus. Some of the videos are available on Dolby's Web site at https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/test-tones.html

Other Atmos demos are available on demo-world.eu in their Trailers/ 2D HD directory. Be sure to download the lossless versions and not the Dolby 5.1 versions.

You do have to bitstream them through a video player to be able to view them and to (use the player to) select the appropriate soundtrack. I played them from a USB thumb drive plugged into a Sony BDP S6500.

Selden

post #13980 of 15361 Old 08-17-2017, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My Marantz pre-amplifier is set up in a 9.1.2 configuration as I loved the extra wide channels that I got when running Auddssey DSX on my old Integra preamp. What I have found when playing DTS-X movies is that the wide channels are not used at all (while they are when a DTS 7.1MA is "upmixed" using the DTS-Neural X feature (the pre-amp is set up correctly and all channels are working). I only have Jason Bourne and Fate of the Furious to test it with. Does DTS-X use wide channels in a 9.1.2 configuration on other movies or with other preamps? Marantz tech support told me that DTS-X movies don't mix the sound to use the wide channels in this format. Is that really true?

When playing Atmos movies in the same configuration, the wides get some sound but it cuts in and out (both left and right wides - and the "wide channel" indicator on the front of the pre-amp shows the wides to be on - it doesn't flicker). It's obvious that it's not "mixed" this way as it's cutting full on / full off in the middle of the musical score (different than an object panning down the side of the room). The only movie that uses the wides extensively is Strange Beasts and Where to Find Them. The cutting in and out happens on the 7 or 8 atmos films I've tried except for Hacksaw Ridge where I have a hard time telling. Marantz is saying that it's the way the movies are mixed, but I've been heavily involved in audio for decades and know people don't mix things to simply cut in and out (recognizing that panning does take place). Has anyone else had these issues?

Dolby Digital movies "upmixed" do give me height channels but nothing in the wides. As mentioned before DTS-Neural-X gives me highs and wides along with the regular 7.1 bed. I would prefer to have DTS-X though as all channels are discrete opposed to "upmixted".

Has anyone else got a 9.1.2 setup and experienced these issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
marantz av8802

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page