Marantz AV8802 13.2 XLR Pre/Pro **Official Thread** - Page 470 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12747Likes

post #14071 of 15369 Old 08-27-2017, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Headphone Tone Control and/or Connecting External Headphone Amp?

I'm trying to figure out how to activate bass and treble tone control when using the 8802A. I primarily want to try making tone adjustments when using headphones, but I can't even seem to figure out how to activate them without the headphones plugged in. I've read through the manual (page 143) and it states to use the Option button on the remove to access tone controls. I also noted that there are a few settings that I need to be mindful of to ensure the tone controls are available. I've checked those items, but I'm still unable to get the controls to appear on screen using Option. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm also considering purchasing a headphone amp to use with the 8802A since I would like to continue to use it to control the audio source.

I had a new little boy about 3 weeks ago so I'm having to compromise at times and I'm on the hunt for a very nice pair of wired headphones and a audiophile grade headphone amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14072 of 15369 Old 08-27-2017, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschulz View Post
The Auro website has a fairly comprehensive list of available content:

Link

It's definitely true that there is a lack of *movie* content, but there is a gratifying amount of music out there. Really standout recordings that I have heard are the Ozark Henry album, Lichtmond 3 - Days of Eternity (reminiscent of Pink Floyd and really stunning in Auro-3D) and the Trondheim Solistene "Magnificat," which is just a heartbreakingly beautiful piece of music. It was recorded in a cathedral, and the Auro recording captures the space in a way that no other format could.
There is a couple of Bernie Dressel Auro recordings which are phenomenal, I am caught applauding and wooing after the drum solo on the Gary Reber Produced California Recording, it was played full blast in last years Award Wining Alcons demo. Its's big band Jazz but the musicians are Hollywood's best instrumentalists, The miking proved to be spot on in recreating the space.

I wish the new Marantz would allow you to reassign channels more flexible like the center and sub2 which are totally optional channels to some of the most ardent immersophiles. When you limit the seating to 2 rows of loveseats which both cushions are tightly integrated so one can seat in the middle if flying solo.

CEDIA ACOUSTICS PROFESSOR and Master Calibrator Adam Pelz was skeptical about many new controversial practices which I am currently a proponent of, his criticism was steady and constant for about the better part of last year. Let's just say that I made immediate 60% progress recruiting him to this exception to the rule setup (powered by uncalibrated 8802), i believe that foundations were laid to convince him on another 20% of these controversial practices. The facial expressions I caught him not helping himself to demonstrate were the grand prize of the evening.

This is what he said. He is the third person I have shown this center less 5+wides.4 with hardwired arrayed surrounds.

Here is the top project manager for the wealthiest homes going up in miami waterfront after his second repeat visit.

And this is the first client I showed the system by chance, he opened my eyes to the accidental discovery that the controversial practices DID WORK better than expected.

IF YOU ARE READING MARANTZ SOLID FLAT PANELS without center channels are a perfectly enjoyable way to create a fully immersive bubble in small areas within a nearfield wORLD cLASS IMMERSIVE BUBBLE.

GIVE US THE FLEXIBILITY TO HAVE FULL FREQUENCY 8.0.8 SYSTEMs BY 2018.

So i'm late to the party about the next Marantz, it will have some form of Dirac functionality?
post #14073 of 15369 Old 08-27-2017, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 692 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21892 Post(s)
Liked: 11866
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
So i'm late to the party about the next Marantz, it will have some form of Dirac functionality?
D+M will be keeping the features on their new "flagship" models fairly close to the chest until after CES 2018 so don't expect to hear anything until likely January at the earliest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14074 of 15369 Old 08-27-2017, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3033 Post(s)
Liked: 1975
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
D+M will be keeping the features on their new "flagship" models fairly close to the chest until after CES 2018 so don't expect to hear anything until likely January at the earliest.

I doubt they will go too Dirac, but if they did it will be definitely worth a look at. I've always wanted to try Dirac but would love minidsp to have an all in one where it's able to handle 7.2.4.

God Bless,
Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #14075 of 15369 Old 08-27-2017, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6852 Post(s)
Liked: 15404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
I doubt they will go too Dirac, but if they did it will be definitely worth a look at. I've always wanted to try Dirac but would love minidsp to have an all in one where it's able to handle 7.2.4.
You bought a minidsp, Franin? Nice. I look forward to your thoughts.

post #14076 of 15369 Old 08-27-2017, 09:36 PM

Marantz AV8802 13.2 XLR Pre/Pro **Official Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
You bought a minidsp, Franin? Nice. I look forward to your thoughts.

Have to buy one first Will see what happens

God Bless,

Last edited by Franin; 08-27-2017 at 09:45 PM.
post #14077 of 15369 Old 08-28-2017, 12:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
Quote:
I'm saying if someone was willing to pay $700 for the Audyssey Pro Kit, that if they prefer to enhance what XT32 is already doing, first they would have had to invest another $150 for another license for the newer pre/pro; however, instead can put that money towards a Mini-DSP and UMIK-1 for even better audio clarity than what the Audyssey Pro Kit offers by using DIRAC.

Bottom line .... with the ability of using either Dirac or the new (and still being improved) Audyssey MultEQ Editor app, there's no reason not to consider the newer AV8804 when it's released Spring 2018.
audyssey pro works in pretty well with whats built in the 8802A. and its only the $200 licence cost thats needed for instance on last couple of people I have helped do using my kit. the mini dsp is marantz running the white flag up that their system is inept and heck buy something else

I am not particularly drawn to dirac and dont think am alone there is quite a bit of divided opinion on it.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #14078 of 15369 Old 08-28-2017, 12:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptruce View Post
I only have found one audio disc and one movie disc. The movie disc is Red Tails and when I ordered it from Amazon, the disc they sent did not have the Auro3D soundtrack.

I contacted Auro3D in Europe and asked where I could buy the disc. Their reply was great: they sent one overnight FedEx free!

The disc is in German but has an english soundtrack. Great sound effects, but I suspect Dolby Atmos would be better.

My interest in posting here rather than the Auro3D forum is making how many of you have an Auro3D setup? I suspect not many as the setup is not compatible with Dolby Atmos. But as I mentioned, it is great for listening to music in its format.

I hope that Marantz keeps the option with their next gen processor, but i suspect that if Audessey Pro support is dropped, the 8802 will be my last one from them. Would have to start saving nickels and dimes for a Storm or a Trinov. A LOT of nickels and dimes.

Peter
hi peter, I am running auro3D with the marantz 8802A

mine is a 7.1.4 setup and added a VOG speaker to it for 7.1.5 and found works well for auro3D both music and movies.

cant read more as i posted on home forum (i have posted here previously but finding difficult to find)

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topi...omment-1590247

ps as per yourself when marantz drops audyssey pro support, i will likely just stick with the 8802 until they have a decent enough measurement, calibration and eq system using a calibrated decent mic and capability of audyssey pro. or buy something else eventually.

post #14079 of 15369 Old 08-28-2017, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
hi peter, I am running auro3D with the marantz 8802A

mine is a 7.1.4 setup and added a VOG speaker to it for 7.1.5 and found works well for auro3D both music and movies.
One new change re: Auro 3D VOG .... on the 11CH Denon X6300H/X6400H and presumably on the new 11CH Marantz SR8012 as well, the Surround Back L speaker post can be used to power the VOG speaker (when only using an Atmos 5.2.4 setup) so as not to have to give up a sub pre-out when using 2 or more subs. This functionality "may" pass to the new AV8804 as well using the Surround Back L pre-out.
post #14080 of 15369 Old 08-28-2017, 03:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
One new change re: Auro 3D VOG .... on the 11CH Denon X6300H/X6400H and presumably on the new 11CH Marantz SR8012 as well, the Surround Back L speaker post can be used to power the VOG speaker (when only using an Atmos 5.2.4 setup) so as not to have to give up a sub pre-out when using 2 or more subs. This functionality "may" pass to the new AV8804 as well using the Surround Back L pre-out.
interesting to know. pity just cant assign those front wides instead sitting there doing nothing ! to VOG and sub no 3

but choosing between 2nd sub or surround back to me is a crook choice for now am giving up on 2nd sub I run a 7.1.5 setup no way be giving up a surround back for it !

one can only hope one days the marantz flagship will have re assignable pre outs like the denon avp flagship did... so those front wides can be put to better use (where needed).

post #14081 of 15369 Old 08-28-2017, 03:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Auro 3D is included for FREE on board the AV7704 and SR7012 models, so should also be included for FREE on the AV8804 as well.
this is a good thing will certainly make the use of the format much more accessible...rather than having to pay for it to use

post #14082 of 15369 Old 08-28-2017, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WireBrat View Post
I'm trying to figure out how to activate bass and treble tone control when using the 8802A. I primarily want to try making tone adjustments when using headphones, but I can't even seem to figure out how to activate them without the headphones plugged in. I've read through the manual (page 143) and it states to use the Option button on the remove to access tone controls. I also noted that there are a few settings that I need to be mindful of to ensure the tone controls are available. I've checked those items, but I'm still unable to get the controls to appear on screen using Option. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm also considering purchasing a headphone amp to use with the 8802A since I would like to continue to use it to control the audio source.

I had a new little boy about 3 weeks ago so I'm having to compromise at times and I'm on the hunt for a very nice pair of wired headphones and a audiophile grade headphone amp.
As long as Dynamic EQ is disabled (remember this is a "by source setting") you should be able to select OPTION - TONE - ON - (Bass/Treble). You may also need to have the source audio playing as well (as noted in the manual, although I have found that not to be required on my Denon).
post #14083 of 15369 Old 08-28-2017, 05:22 AM

Quote:
interesting to know. pity just cant assign those front wides instead sitting there doing nothing ! to VOG and sub no 3

but choosing between 2nd sub or surround back to me is a crook choice for now am giving up on 2nd sub I run a 7.1.5 setup no way be giving up a surround back for it !

one can only hope one days the marantz flagship will have re assignable pre outs like the denon avp flagship did... so those front wides can be put to better use (where needed).

I agree I would of used mines as sub 3 and sub 4. Even if sub 1( Sub 1 & Sub 3 ) and Sub 2 ( Sub 2 & Sub 4 ) at least I would be using them.

God Bless,
post #14084 of 15369 Old 08-28-2017, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
I agree I would of used mines as sub 3 and sub 4. Even if sub 1( Sub 1 & Sub 3 ) and Sub 2 ( Sub 2 & Sub 4 ) at least I would be using them.
No reason you can't use 4 subs now using two "Y" splitter cables with each pair of subs ideally equidistant from the MLP.
post #14085 of 15369 Old 08-28-2017, 05:53 AM

Marantz AV8802 13.2 XLR Pre/Pro **Official Thread**

Quote:
No reason you can't use 4 subs now using two "Y" splitter cables with each pair of subs ideally equidistant from the MLP.

I'm already doing that already with XLR splitter. I'm just saying it would be nice to make it available.
alebonau likes this.

God Bless,
post #14086 of 15369 Old 08-29-2017, 12:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
~

can totally sympathise wirebrat, I also run a separate little headphone rig,

fed off this little tube amp

feeding a nice set of Grado RS1i's

make for a gorgeous combo and certainly something always look forward to using

Last edited by alebonau; 08-29-2017 at 12:55 AM.
post #14087 of 15369 Old 08-29-2017, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
can totally sympathise wirebrat, I also run a separate little headphone rig,

fed off this little tube amp

feeding a nice set of Grado RS1i's

make for a gorgeous combo and certainly something always look forward to using
Nice! Is it connected your our Marantz? If so, how did you make the connection?
post #14088 of 15369 Old 08-30-2017, 04:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nice! Is it connected your our Marantz? If so, how did you make the connection?
hi wirebrat, I run a separate 2ch rig and way i have things connected is L&R main pre outs from marantz run to a HT bypass input on a 2ch pre amp I have in my 2ch rig. the 2ch pre amp has a tape out.... i.e. it feeds a 2ch signal out the tape out no matter what input is feeding it.

so the tape out is connected to the L&R inputs on my little headphone valve amp. sounds a bit convoluted. it is only way it is because I run a combined 2ch/av rig with the 2ch pre amp with ht bypass being the key to linking the 2 systems

hope makes sense....

post #14089 of 15369 Old 09-02-2017, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Lpcm 4.0

I have discovered that the 8802A will not play LPCM 4.0 files (no rear channels). It plays 2.0 and 5.1 just fine. I first noticed this about a year ago when I tried to play an audio dvd that had a 4.0 mix and had no rear channels when played. I only have a couple of dvd-A 4.0 discs so I didn't worry, thought it was a fluke with dvd-A's. However, I did report it to Marantz, of course they did not acknowledge that it was a problem.

I recently bought the Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon" Immersion edition. It has Hi-Rez LPCM versions of all the mixes, 2.0, 5.1 and the original 4.0 mix on a Blu-ray disc. The 4.0 mix would not play in surround. So what I thought was limited to dvd-A's seems to be a problem with LPCM. This does not occur with sacd's, as I have several of the Audio Fidelity 4.0 quad mixes that play back just fine. I also tried 2 other Blu-ray players, same problem. My main player is the Oppo 103.

I guess what I'm asking is if any of you should have any LPCM 4.0 on dvd-A or other source files or even better the DSOTM Blu-ray files, could you see if you have the same problem? I will report this to Marantz on Tuesday.

Thanks in advance

Addendum:

The players I tried send 5.1 as 3/2/.1 and 4.0 as 2/2 on the 8802A display which is correct. The 8802A does not like 4.0 as 2/2 and only plays stereo. I forgot my Phillips UHD Blu-ray in the bedroom, so I tried it. Interestingly enough it sends the 4.0 as a 3/2/.1 on the 8802A display even though it’s 4.0. It fools the 8802A and it plays back in 4.0 perfectly (no center or .1). Also, just tried the Chicago 4.0 box set which is dtsHD 4.0. It displays as 2/2/0 on the 8802A and plays fine. So I still think the 8802A doesn’t like 4.0 LPCM presented as 2/2/0. Food for thought.

Last edited by riknik; 09-04-2017 at 02:38 PM.
post #14090 of 15369 Old 09-02-2017, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Simple question. If I plug an audio source into a digital input will the marantz's DACs upsample it to 192khz?

Marantz AV8805, Parasound Halo a21, (2)Parasound 2250, Parasound 275, Panamax 5400PM
Klipsch Epic CF3 V1, KV 4, (4) RP250S,(2)RP140S (2)CDT5650
LG Oled 65C8,Oppo 205, Pro-ject 2xperience Classic w/Music Hall speed Control
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Harmony Ultimate
post #14091 of 15369 Old 09-04-2017, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No Atmos/DD+ on Marantz AV8802A

My Marantz AV8802a won't play the main Atmos or DD+ audio tracks from my UHD BD & Blu-Rays on my Oppo BDP-203 player. Sometimes it does work for a few seconds but then it flickers rapidly in & out then goes out. (Display just says Stereo but no sound comes out.) With my Dell XPS 15 laptop playing Dolby's 7.1.4 Atmos Test Tones and "Leaf" demo MP4 files via HDMI, Atmos works just fine (receiver front display reads Dolby Atmos and it's obviously 3D sound), but the demos "Conductor" and "Silent" don't work. I have the audio going from the player as Bitstream over HDMI. I've upgraded the firmware and reset to factory settings without any change. Also my PS3 audio is crackling and intermittent through HDMI, so I have to use an optical audio cable (which can't transmit the Atmos tracks from the Oppo player). I'm guessing I need a new HDMI board on this receiver? How can I get warranty work if I can't find the receipt and am not normally available M-F during the work day to speak with their neophyte phone support staff? (Anyone else had luck with them? The two I've gotten on the line were soooo hard to deal with just to get started, hardly understood anything, and I had to go before we got anywhere.)
Thanks for any ideas/advice!
post #14092 of 15369 Old 09-05-2017, 01:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2275 Post(s)
Liked: 2775
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwestfall View Post
My Marantz AV8802a won't play the main Atmos or DD+ audio tracks from my UHD BD & Blu-Rays on my Oppo BDP-203 player. Sometimes it does work for a few seconds but then it flickers rapidly in & out then goes out. (Display just says Stereo but no sound comes out.) With my Dell XPS 15 laptop playing Dolby's 7.1.4 Atmos Test Tones and "Leaf" demo MP4 files via HDMI, Atmos works just fine (receiver front display reads Dolby Atmos and it's obviously 3D sound), but the demos "Conductor" and "Silent" don't work. I have the audio going from the player as Bitstream over HDMI. I've upgraded the firmware and reset to factory settings without any change. Also my PS3 audio is crackling and intermittent through HDMI, so I have to use an optical audio cable (which can't transmit the Atmos tracks from the Oppo player). I'm guessing I need a new HDMI board on this receiver? How can I get warranty work if I can't find the receipt and am not normally available M-F during the work day to speak with their neophyte phone support staff? (Anyone else had luck with them? The two I've gotten on the line were soooo hard to deal with just to get started, hardly understood anything, and I had to go before we got anywhere.)
Thanks for any ideas/advice!
Have you swapped out the hdmi cables ? and are they certified premium?
post #14093 of 15369 Old 09-05-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
Have you swapped out the hdmi cables ? and are they certified premium?
Good point. Yes, I have tried multiple "premium" HDMI cables.
post #14094 of 15369 Old 09-05-2017, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2275 Post(s)
Liked: 2775
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwestfall View Post
Good point. Yes, I have tried multiple "premium" HDMI cables.
What settings from the Oppo? dual or single hdmi cable for output to display and 8802? sounds more like the Oppo configuration is sending the 8802 something it may not like.
post #14095 of 15369 Old 09-06-2017, 04:25 PM

Output impedence

Does anyone know the output impedence of the balanced outputs on the 8802a?
post #14096 of 15369 Old 09-06-2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
What settings from the Oppo? dual or single hdmi cable for output to display and 8802? sounds more like the Oppo configuration is sending the 8802 something it may not like.
Tried all kinds of variants and troubleshooting with Marantz - they think the processor went bad and are having me send it in for repair.
post #14097 of 15369 Old 09-07-2017, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 6926 Post(s)
Liked: 5895
post #14098 of 15369 Old 09-07-2017, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4807 Post(s)
Liked: 2844
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
But that Web site also says that the SR8012 will be only 11.2.

Maybe we'll hear something more authoritative this weekend.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #14099 of 15369 Old 09-07-2017, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 6926 Post(s)
Liked: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
But that Web site also says that the SR8012 will be only 11.2.
Might only be the two flagships that are 13-channels. BTW, any time any of my industry contacts confirmed 13 channels coming, it was always as 7.1.6. Even initial press releases from Acurus, Emotiva and Storm Audio describe their 13-channel implementations as 7.1.6. Can't figure out the aversion to wides.

Sanjay
post #14100 of 15369 Old 09-07-2017, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4807 Post(s)
Liked: 2844
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Might only be the two flagships that are 13-channels. BTW, any time any of my industry contacts confirmed 13 channels coming, it was always as 7.1.6. Even initial press releases from Acurus, Emotiva and Storm Audio describe their 13-channel implementations as 7.1.6. Can't figure out the aversion to wides.
Maybe they prefer to think of the overheads as being a reflection of the ear-level speakers, similar to how Auro3D has them. I agree that it'd be nice if one could choose between Top Middle or Front Wide, though, similar to the options provided in the first two generations of D+M's Atmos equipment.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
marantz av8802

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page