Official Pioneer VSX-80 Owners Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 162 Old 08-31-2014, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
I'm still waiting for Pioneer' direct store to ship my VSX-80. As a VSX-32 user, one time, I decided to try connecting my fast-loading DV-58AV Elite DVD player via digital coaxial output to reduce jitter. I have noticed that with HDMI Control turned on, I had trouble reassigning/renaming inputs. Try turning off HDMI Control on your receiver, TV, set-top box, DVD player, Blu-ray player, etc.. HDMI Control might be referred to as BraviaLink by Sony, CEC by everyone else, EasyLink by Philips, KuroLink by Pioneer, RegzaLink by Toshiba, and VieraLink by Panasonic. Note that if you have a Pioneer or Pioneer Elite Blu-ray player with PQLS and you wish to keep the PQLS feature working, you'll need to keep HDMI Control on your receiver On, which might not allow you to assign/rename inputs. I'm talking about the VSX-32. Who knows. Maybe they made it possible to assign/rename inputs while HDMI Control is set to On on receivers starting from 2011 to the present.
After playing around with the settings, I toggled between basic and expert control on my phone via icontrol5. After doing that I was able to re assign inputs. So it seems if you allow the unit to go into basic mode you'll loose the ability to assign inputs. What was ironic was if I chose hdmi 1 with my phone it would work, but hitting the DVD button on the remote control resulted in no video.

Last edited by Elitecrewman; 08-31-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 162 Old 08-31-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitecrewman View Post
After playing around with the settings, I toggled between basic and expert control on my phone via icontrol5. After doing that I was able to re assign inputs. So it seems if you allow the unit to go into basic mode you'll loose the ability to assign inputs. What was ironic was if I chose hdmi 1 with my phone it would work, but hitting the DVD button on the remote control resulted in no video.
Glad you figured it out. This is exactly why I plan on using Expert mode so I can always have access to all settings.
post #63 of 162 Old 08-31-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Glad you figured it out. This is exactly why I plan on using Expert mode so I can always have access to all settings.
Yea, I had no idea it was in basic mode earlier. It wasn't until I discovered I could toggle between the two that I knew about them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 162 Old 09-01-2014, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I got mine hooked up and watched Transformers Dark of the moon. wow. the difference between 5.1 and 7.1 is amazing. I am not even done playing with this thing and I have not done the MCACC yet. After I get it completely hooked up I need to slide the wall unit back and then I will complete the speaker set up. I have another sub but have not bought the 25 foot cable to hook it up yet. I have apple tv, 3d samsung blu ray, dish network, and an older cd player hooked up. The tv is a sumsung 3d 55 inch. For speakers I am using The Speaker Company TSAT 2000s for the front 5 and bought a set of Jamo for the surround back.

I just got the basic set up going but need a wi-fi bridge to use iPhone and iPads for the control app. Looking at the trend net 680 mb for this. 1st question is What is everyone else using for this wifi bridge? The as -wl 300 is twice as expensive and the trend net can hook up 4 different devices. All my others are hooked to the net through their own internal features but this will give me room to expand later if needed. One thing that I did notice is that when you switch between sources the volume needs to be adjusted each time. Even using the dish network going from a regular feed to a Sirius XM radio feed, the volume needs adjusted.

I admit that hearing the news in surround with a sub is different and new to us. I may return the dish network back to the tv bypassing the pioneer all together. We decided to use the old Pioneer 1021 as a second receiver for speakers out on the patio and the dining room speakers so that we can maintain the 7.1 or 7.2 speakers in the family room. The Elite control panel looks so much better than the 1021.

2nd question. If i inserted a HDMI y cable coming out of the apple tv device and took one side to the elite 80 and the other leg to the 1021 would both devices be able to play the output to their respective speakers and if so would the be playing in time with each other? During parties we like to have music playing inside and outside, would this work with both receivers playing the same music in time with each other? If the answer to this is yes, then I can do the same thing with the dish network receiver, split the output with one going to the elite 80 and the other directly to the tv, allowing for tv viewing without the receiver being turned on.

Thanks for any replies.
post #65 of 162 Old 09-16-2014, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Total No0b here...

Some background on me... I work at Best Buy and I come across great deals sometimes and this was one of them... They're remodeling the entire store starting with the Magnolia department, this essentially put EVERYTHING in that dept as an "Open Box" item... When I saw this, I had to jump on it... My current system is as follows:
  • Pioneer VSX-80 (no remote but i ordered one on ebay for $25)
  • Jamo - 360 S 35 HCS 5.0-Channel
  • Definitive Technology - ProSub 800 8"
  • Sharp Aquos 70" - LC-70LE650U

I live in a town home at the end unit... I factory reset the receiver but there are some things i'd like to tweek when i get my remote control... are there any guides or preferences for this type of setup? I haven't had a home theater setup in years so playing with this stuff is Greek to me...lol... Also, is there an app i could use to control this thing from my phone (LG - Nexus 5)?? I saw one on the Google Play Store but it didn't work

thanks in advance!!
post #66 of 162 Old 09-21-2014, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was able to find one at best buy (open box) and it was also on sale.
paid only $450 for it
Replaced an onkyo with hdmi issue...

Very happy so far with this purchase
post #67 of 162 Old 10-07-2014, 08:59 AM

vsx-80 .AVI file playback through usb stick

Hi,

I am trying to play an AVI file through a USB stick. Does this receiver support this format? What can I do to play videos through a USB stick?

Thanks for your help.
post #68 of 162 Old 10-07-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4820 Post(s)
Liked: 2867
Unfortunately, most receivers do not support playing video files, only audio files and static images (jpegs). The only one I'm aware of which can play video files is the top-of-the-line Sony AVR of a couple of years ago. For the rest, you need to connect a video player of some kind to it -- like a BD player, Roku, computer or the like.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #69 of 162 Old 10-11-2014, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has anyone experience any input lag from the VSX-80?
I'm getting the VSX-80 and I hope to run all of my HDMI devices through it to my projector, a Benq W1070.
Right now my Xbox 360 and One run directly to the projector with no noticeable lag.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,
Robert
post #70 of 162 Old 10-19-2014, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Michael View Post
Has anyone experience any input lag from the VSX-80?
I'm getting the VSX-80 and I hope to run all of my HDMI devices through it to my projector, a Benq W1070.
Right now my Xbox 360 and One run directly to the projector with no noticeable lag.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,
Robert

I am noticing a pretty good lag when it comes to switching inputs using HDMI. Now I have not completely set mine up yet and I am working with a 7 year old television (so that could certainly have a lot to do with it). Either way, it does not affect me much so it's not a big deal on my end, but something to consider. Anyone else?
post #71 of 162 Old 10-19-2014, 03:48 PM

I've got a Wii, PS3, PS4, XBOX1 and HTPC hooked up to mine with a LG PB6600 plasma display. I don't notice any lag while watching TV or playing games. Granted, I've spent most of my gaming time on the ps3 with South Park stick of truth, but my wife's used the htpc to play games and she hasn't complained about lag.
post #72 of 162 Old 10-20-2014, 05:13 PM

I have a vsx-80 and it works fine but randomly I will turn off tv, which I have set to turn off receiver. I go to turn the tv back on and the receiver comes on but no video or sound. Only way I can get it back working properly is to pull power cord from back of receiver. Any ideas to the cause? I'm at a loss, tried diff hdmi cable.
post #73 of 162 Old 10-21-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volscav View Post
I have a vsx-80 and it works fine but randomly I will turn off tv, which I have set to turn off receiver. I go to turn the tv back on and the receiver comes on but no video or sound. Only way I can get it back working properly is to pull power cord from back of receiver. Any ideas to the cause? I'm at a loss, tried diff hdmi cable.
Do you have bypass activated for the HDMI port?
Also, I would turn the receiver on first, wait a couple of seconds, then have the tv turn on.
post #74 of 162 Old 10-21-2014, 03:13 PM

This only happens over night. I turn off the tv(which in turn shuts off receiver) next morning turn it all on receiver has no blue hdmi light on the front and blank tv screen no sound. Very weird. Only fix is to unplug so far. Almost like its getting stuck
post #75 of 162 Old 10-23-2014, 08:00 AM

Well guys I've had my receiver about a week now. I've been playing a lot of Destiny and I can say that I haven't noticed any increase in input lag. However switching between inputs has a huge amount of lag which really isn't an issue it's just a pain in the butt.

Volscav you could be having an EDID issue. On my media center setup when my tv turns off it powers off all the other items with the exception of the media center PC. Often when I power the TV on again I will receive no sound or picture. Please note this is with a different receiver. However after some research I found the setup was losing or messing up the EDID of the TV. My fix for the issue at this time is to unplug the HDMI from the TV wait a second and plug the HDMI back in. The correct fix is to get an HDMI EDID emulator.
post #76 of 162 Old 10-24-2014, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've been a long time Pioneer fan. I received my VSX-80 earlier this week and got it connected Wednesday evening. Unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to have to put a call into Pioneer technical support for a couple of issues:

1) When I change inputs on the AVR (from my Comcast STB to my media server) I get a LOT of "picture noise" (for back of a better term). It basically begins with the ants-type screen, as if there was no signal on an antenna connection. After a few seconds it fades away and displays the 1080p picture fine. Nonetheless, I did not have this issue with my previous Pioneer AVR (VSX-01TXH).

2) After the initial setup, I was toying around with the new features at my disposal. I selected the Pandora option and entered my account information, logged in, and played some music. I also switched over to the Internet Radio input as well. All was good. Since that time, I haven't been able to get any picture on screen when using either of these inputs; my TV shows that no signal is present.

Lastly, I haven't been able to utilize AirPlay either, but I think that may be a function of the latest iOS (I have 8.1 installed) and I've found many posts online stating that the AirPlay button/option is missing from the Control Center on many people's devices. At least, that's where I'm placing the blame for now.
post #77 of 162 Old 10-24-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvnbysound View Post
I've been a long time Pioneer fan. I received my VSX-80 earlier this week and got it connected Wednesday evening. Unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to have to put a call into Pioneer technical support for a couple of issues:

1) When I change inputs on the AVR (from my Comcast STB to my media server) I get a LOT of "picture noise" (for back of a better term). It basically begins with the ants-type screen, as if there was no signal on an antenna connection. After a few seconds it fades away and displays the 1080p picture fine. Nonetheless, I did not have this issue with my previous Pioneer AVR (VSX-01TXH).

2) After the initial setup, I was toying around with the new features at my disposal. I selected the Pandora option and entered my account information, logged in, and played some music. I also switched over to the Internet Radio input as well. All was good. Since that time, I haven't been able to get any picture on screen when using either of these inputs; my TV shows that no signal is present.

Lastly, I haven't been able to utilize AirPlay either, but I think that may be a function of the latest iOS (I have 8.1 installed) and I've found many posts online stating that the AirPlay button/option is missing from the Control Center on many people's devices. At least, that's where I'm placing the blame for now.

I can tell you that AirPlay has been horribly frustrating so far. My phone will play about a minute of music then the receiver disappears from the choices in airplay and I get nothing. It takes a few minutes playing around for it to come back. But even then I get maybe a minute at most now of playing something using Airplay. Very bad! Has anyone else seen this?
post #78 of 162 Old 10-24-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVITWeb View Post
I can tell you that AirPlay has been horribly frustrating so far. My phone will play about a minute of music then the receiver disappears from the choices in airplay and I get nothing. It takes a few minutes playing around for it to come back. But even then I get maybe a minute at most now of playing something using Airplay. Very bad! Has anyone else seen this?
Ugh, that's no good. Airplay was one of the features I was looking forward to with my upgrade. I suppose the alternative is to add an AppleTV, which I had planned to do in the future anyway.
post #79 of 162 Old 10-24-2014, 06:02 PM

Here's a shot of the "static" type issue I tried to describe above:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AVR_Issues.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	329409  
post #80 of 162 Old 10-24-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Here's a shot of the "static" type issue I tried to describe above:

Almost looks like it is downsampling. Have you checked the Video Conversion settings?

As far as the Air Play goes, I am at least glad to see I am not the only one and that it does not look like there is a problem with the receiver.
post #81 of 162 Old 10-25-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVITWeb View Post
Almost looks like it is downsampling. Have you checked the Video Conversion settings?
I have. At one point I was viewing the AV SCALER from the iControlAV5 app, and turned it on. I didn't make any scaling changes. Once I realized what the feature was for, and that I didn't need it, I turned it back off. It was turned off when I took the pictures above. What's weird is that it transitions between those screens within 3-5 seconds and then it's fine. I just don't like (and don't think I should be) seeing that at all.

Now that you mention it and as I write this, I realized the 2 main sources I use are a Comcast STB and the SageTV extender. The former is generally running 1080i (most HD content), and I'm seeing this when I switch to the SageTV extender - 1080p.

Quote:
As far as the Air Play goes, I am at least glad to see I am not the only one and that it does not look like there is a problem with the receiver.
In my case, I can't even get the Airplay icon on my phone to show up. So it's not even recognizing that the AVR as a Airplay device.

I am running the latest iOS and have the latest update for the AVR (updated shortly after installation).
post #82 of 162 Old 10-25-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
I have. At one point I was viewing the AV SCALER from the iControlAV5 app, and turned it on. I didn't make any scaling changes. Once I realized what the feature was for, and that I didn't need it, I turned it back off. It was turned off when I took the pictures above. What's weird is that it transitions between those screens within 3-5 seconds and then it's fine. I just don't like (and don't think I should be) seeing that at all.

Now that you mention it and as I write this, I realized the 2 main sources I use are a Comcast STB and the SageTV extender. The former is generally running 1080i (most HD content), and I'm seeing this when I switch to the SageTV extender - 1080p.
Off the top of my head, I do not know where it is, but you could try changing the HDMI to "Through" or "Bypass" (I can't remember which sorry). I really seems like the AVR is trying to do something to the 1080p source (which it shouldn't have to).
post #83 of 162 Old 10-25-2014, 08:26 AM

Any Experts out there - Install help - Plz

Couple of issues going on,
1. The unit won't hold an IP address, hour or two great than gone. Sometimes actually have to pull the plug to get it to refresh.
Plugged into the LAN port of my Open-Mesh radio. The network has been flawless.

2. Looking to run a 2, and 3rd Zone.
Main setup is a simple 5.1
I've hooked up the 2nd to the Surround Back
The 3rd to Front Height
Then toggle front panel Speaker switch = no sound = no joy.

Not an expert as you can tell.

Thanks in Advance for any and all comments
post #84 of 162 Old 10-28-2014, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Has anyone compared the VSX-80 to previous receivers such as the VSX-32, VSX-33, VSX-52, VSX-53, VSX-62, VSX-63, VSX-70, and VSX-1120? I have the VSX-32. The VSX-80 seems to be similar to the VSX-32 as far as ranking it as a bridge between low-end and high-end, except it has DACs up to the performance of receivers which used to cost between $1500 and $2000 a few years ago. I would like to know if anyone has noticed a major improvement in audio quality, as well as its operation speed and response, compared to receivers between 2010 and 2013.
I'm curious about this too! I have it and plan to compare it against my current Onkyo, but would love to hear how it compares to others in terms of audio quality.
post #85 of 162 Old 10-28-2014, 04:10 PM

Well, I just got off the phone with Pioneer tech support. No major assistance or setting changes suggested. The only thought was that I have a 50ft HDMI cable between my AVR and TV - and to utilize another (shorter) cable for testing and see if the issues still exist.

Personally, I don't think this is the issue because I had no issues at all with the VSX-01TXH previously. Nonetheless, I suppose I'll be giving this a shot to eliminate the issue. The tech did advise that I could send the receiver into the service center to be checked out.
post #86 of 162 Old 10-28-2014, 05:56 PM

Updated on my AirPlay status: First, I know a few GOOD networking guys...

I've got a business class router at my home for some fancy (encrypted VPN) video/file sharing (i.e. remote access to my media server). Anyhow, after a bit of troubleshooting, we determined that I had to disable IGMP Snooping on my router. Understand that this may just be a symptom of how my network is configured. If I connected the AVR to the same switch ports available on my wireless access point (separate from my router) AirPlay worked without issue.

Post fix: I found this article that provides a bit of information about the issue: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4408035?tstart=0

Tech note: Disabling IGMP basically relaxes the requirement that there be a strict multicast group; it tells all ports on the vlan to forward multicast even if it thinks there are no members.

Last edited by drvnbysound; 10-29-2014 at 05:26 AM.
post #87 of 162 Old 11-01-2014, 10:22 AM

AirPlay update 2:

I was only getting the ability to connect to AirPlay if the receiver was turned off or power cycled. Going back to my previous post, my setup is likely more complex that most home networks and devices. Having said that, I had to enable multicast on my router. Since that has been done, AirPlay seems to work well without any issues.

Next up are my video issues... I'm hoping I don't have to send it off to a service center!
post #88 of 162 Old 11-04-2014, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
This weekend I picked up a VSX-80 from Best Buy.

I went in with a budget of ~$500 and had my list narrowed down to Onkyo NR636 (Atmos!), the Denon x1100w and the VSX-44.

My current setup is a Harmon Kardon AVR 247 from ~2007. 2xHDMI 1.3 inputs isn't enough anymore and I'm tired of moving cables around all the time.

Other components of the system include a 51” Samsung PN51E7000 Plasma, Samsung 3D Blu Ray player, Comcast Cable STB. 5.1 Speakers: DefTech Studio Monitor 350 Bookshelf, DefTech ProCenter 2000, HK 8” Sub, 2x HK Rear Surrounds

While in the Magnolia room, one of the sales people informed me the VSX-80 was on sale for $550 - the same as the Onkyo - so I went ahead and bought it even though I'd only researched the VSX-44.

When the guys were ringing me up, the manager informed me it didn’t have wireless. I was a little bummed and was going to pass on it and go back to the Denon X1100w but he said they’d go ahead and throw in a Netgear N300 Universal WiFi Adapter ($45 ethernet cable included) so I figured what the hell and brought it all home. I could always return it.

Setup was a little trickier than expected. The sparse ‘quick setup’ guide wasn’t very informative on setting up a 5.1 system. It had guides for much more complicated systems including a 5.1 HDZone (5.1 plus a second zone) but nothing for a basic 5.1. So I had to pop in the included CD and download a manual. Normally I have already downloaded and read through manual for products before I buy them, but this was more of an impulse (very unlike me).

It was a little frustrating so if you decide to get one of these, first:

1. Download the manual, read it and have it handy.
2. Install the iControlAV5 app installed on your tablet.
2. Had familiarity with the AVnagitor web server/setup concept

About the iControlAV5 app - this thing is awesome. Although Pioneer hasn’t done much with the OSD graphics and UI the app is awesome.

Sound quality is great! I don’t know if it’s the DAC or just being able to use Dolby TrueHD/DTS Master but there really is better sound coming from my movies now. One thing I haven’t figured out is how to get the best Stereo sound for music. The AVR defaults to Stereo and has some ‘advanced’ surround modes; Action, Drama, Classical, Rock etc. But I’ve never used those on other AVRs. For now I’m just doing Stereo and leaving it at that. It’s easy enough to use the iControlAV5 app to change settings. It’s just a matter of finding a sound I like.

Compared to the HK, movies sound much better. The dynamic range is more controlled so I don’t have to constatntly turn up the volume during dialogue and then back down during action scenes. The VSX-80 handles it very very well. Plus the VSX-80 has the latest Dolby/DTS sound modes. I liked HK's Logic 7 processing. But I'll live without it.

The iControlAV5 app - have I mentioned how great it is to geek out on? So fun being able to go through the Sound Explorer and change settings, or to go to Balance and use your finger to move the slide the L/R/F/R balance around. There’s also a (if I recall correctly) a 9 Band EQ, Bass/Dialogue Emphasis slider and a Status section which simply shows the settings for Phase control, your speaker settings, and a few other options. Of course there’s also a volume control and a quick way to switch between the various surround modes (not directly but by ‘clicking through unfortunately). And many other geeky little features my wife will never use. There’s also a direct link to the AVNavigator (which loads the web server built into the VSX-80 through your web browser.

The Remote: My first impression of the remote is: "Too many buttons!". After using it for a day or two I still feel like it has too many buttons. However, once I got used to it, some of the buttons are really useful such as the channel level, Audio and Video Parameters etc. But the rows and rows of numbers can just go. I guess Pioneer thought we'd want to use this remote to control our TV or something using CED. Meh. I'll likely use my Harmony most of the time anyways.

I haven’t had a chance to go through the AVNavigator and do the MCACC setup again but I wouldn’t mind and it seems like it will do a good job tailoring the system to exactly what I have hooked up.

Truthfully the VSX-80 is more than I need for my little system. The Onkyo is the most future proof. And I’ve since considered going back and spending another $50 for a Marantz NR1605 (on sale for $599).

Really nice system.

I'm not an expert but if anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

Last edited by boondongle; 11-04-2014 at 04:05 PM.
post #89 of 162 Old 11-05-2014, 10:14 AM

Went to see Interstellar on the 70MM IMAX last night. Big, big movie....

Anyhow, got home and put on a little music to relax, streaming from my Mac via Airplay and noticed no subwoofer. Switched to TV (ARC Input and no sub from there either).

Went through the settings and got sub when it was set to EXT.Surround.

Will have to go through everything tonight and see what's going on. hmmmm....

Last edited by boondongle; 11-05-2014 at 06:19 PM.
post #90 of 162 Old 11-05-2014, 06:27 PM

Long story short: Apparently if the front speakers are set to large the sub won't come on - except in Ext. Surround mode for some reason.

I re-ran the Advanced MCACC tonight and the sub still wouldn't play - even during DTS-HD MSTR from a Blu Ray (except in EXT.Suround). Eventually I checked the speaker settings and noticed the fronts (and center) were set to Large. Not sure why the MCACC would set it at that - they're just little DefTech bookshelves, definitely not large.

Anyhow, set them to small, crossover 80z and voila, sub back on. Seems fine for now.

Last edited by boondongle; 11-05-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page