The official Dolby Atmos thread (home theater version) - Page 1160 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24939Likes

post #34771 of 54989 Old 12-17-2015, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if the Klipsch G12s or G16s can be ceiling mounted? They are only 2.5" deep and could possibly work for dth122. Any opinions on why they would be a good or bad choice for 4 atmos ceiling speakers? My ceiling is 7'10" and I would like to mount on ceiling rather than in ceiling. I have an RC64ii center and 4 RB61ii's for front and rear lefts and rights. Also considering Klipsch CP-6s to complete a 5.2.4 system. Other suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34772 of 54989 Old 12-17-2015, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lackey View Post
Does anyone know if the Klipsch G12s or G16s can be ceiling mounted? They are only 2.5" deep and could possibly work for dth122. Any opinions on why they would be a good or bad choice for 4 atmos ceiling speakers? My ceiling is 7'10" and I would like to mount on ceiling rather than in ceiling. I have an RC64ii center and 4 RB61ii's for front and rear lefts and rights. Also considering Klipsch CP-6s to complete a 5.2.4 system. Other suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.
I actually looked at those. I haven't heard them, but the G12 is really small. I'm not sure it will do what I want to my satisfaction. And the driver layout of the G16 probably doesn't have the dispersion that we need in this application.

As always, I'm happy to be proven wrong because they sure would be easy to fit into the space I have available.
- Dave
post #34773 of 54989 Old 12-17-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoked21 View Post
As for mounting speakers from the ceiling. I've seen straight and angled baffle boxes coming in from 6-10". I'm sure you could make some thinner too as long as you account for volume. I'm still seriously considering the Volt 8 with flat pack. My TR are limited to less than 4.75" depth and I could not find a back box solution. So I'm going to surface mount to soffit with either those or JTR. JBL makes some great options as well.
I hadn't thought about that... I could build a box that follows the contour that's there now and extend it wide enough to get the volume I need. That could work, but I would need to mock it up to make sure.

Quote:
So it's really pick your poison. No or inferior back box or something visible on the ceiling.

FYI. Seeing your ceiling I'd be concerned about reflecting off the ceiling with DAE option. Soffit, ledges, any absorption material you have up there COULD complicate their use. I didn't say will. Just throwing out caution.
Certainly there are fewer variables with the ceiling speaker options. More of the design and plan are in my control.
- Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34774 of 54989 Old 12-17-2015, 10:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 4667 Post(s)
Liked: 4851
Quote:
Originally Posted by lackey View Post
What about the Klipsch RP-140SA modules? http://www.klipsch.com/products/refe...eries#rp-140sa

They state they can be used in a direct firing application as an angled baffle surround. Might be a nice choice as on-ceiling speakers which mount pretty flush but have some angle built in to aim towards the seating, and match other Klpsch speakers.
post #34775 of 54989 Old 12-17-2015, 10:42 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3561
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth122 View Post
I actually looked at those. I haven't heard them, but the G12 is really small. I'm not sure it will do what I want to my satisfaction. And the driver layout of the G16 probably doesn't have the dispersion that we need in this application.

As always, I'm happy to be proven wrong because they sure would be easy to fit into the space I have available.
- Dave
Idea: But they would need to be crossed @ 120Hz

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nlAaVrzZAs
http://www.kef.com/html/ca_en/showro...0TR/index.html

...And those: http://www.nilesaudio.com/product.ph...rdcdID=FG01665
http://www.amazon.com/Niles-CM7SD-Tw.../dp/B006H1NXJ6

Last edited by NorthSky; 12-17-2015 at 10:48 PM.
post #34776 of 54989 Old 12-17-2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
What about the Klipsch RP-140SA modules? http://www.klipsch.com/products/refe...eries#rp-140sa

They state they can be used in a direct firing application as an angled baffle surround. Might be a nice choice as on-ceiling speakers which mount pretty flush but have some angle built in to aim towards the seating, and match other Klpsch speakers.
I looked at those and was intrigued. Given the dimensions and shape, I'm not confident I can make them work in the height. I looked for dimensioned drawings on the Klipsch site, but they didn't have any. I think the "thin" end might still be too thick for the clearance I need.
- Dave
post #34777 of 54989 Old 12-18-2015, 01:23 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3561
Quote:
Originally Posted by faulkton View Post
Ok i am a newb who got excited on cyber monday and bought an A2050, a pair of focal bird 5" and a pair of Sib 5" with no real research. I'm now researching and most likely going with a DIY/ID setup of 5.2.4. Right now im using the the Birds as front atmos and sibs as rear atmos.

1. I have 1 MLP and do not care at all about any other seating position. Should i angle the Atmos speakers straight down or angle them to the MLP?

2. Should I buy another pair of sibs/bird and keep them consistent and use the left over as surround in my final build? The Sibs were labeled as Atmos speakers, but ....

I'd really appreciate it and like it if someone took a second to reply.
Did you get any response yet?
faulkton likes this.
post #34778 of 54989 Old 12-18-2015, 02:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by faulkton View Post
Ok i am a newb who got excited on cyber monday and bought an A2050, a pair of focal bird 5" and a pair of Sib 5" with no real research. I'm now researching and most likely going with a DIY/ID setup of 5.2.4. Right now im using the the Birds as front atmos and sibs as rear atmos.

1. I have 1 MLP and do not care at all about any other seating position. Should i angle the Atmos speakers straight down or angle them to the MLP?

2. Should I buy another pair of sibs/bird and keep them consistent and use the left over as surround in my final build? The Sibs were labeled as Atmos speakers, but ....

I'd really appreciate it and like it if someone took a second to reply.
1) People have different opinions on this point, and installations are done both ways. I believe all speakers should be oriented towards MLP, especially in your case as you have a single seat

2) Keep speakers consistent, so get additional Focal, they are good speakers anyway. If i counted right you got 4 speakers now, so if you want to do 5.2.4 you're 5 speakers short. Going low cost, you can simply get a 5.0 kit of Birds or SuperBirds and keep using the Sibs for Atmos rear (no issue). Or you have proper space and budget for your main 5.0 and you can get a Focal Aria 926 System for your lower level.
faulkton likes this.

9.2.4 : Panasonic UBD700 / Marantz 7009 + Lexicon CX-7 / Monitor Audio Gold GX (300+center+S12+S6+S6) [bottom 9] + Bose 101 monitors [top 4] / Klipsch R 115 + Sydney AR12 / Epson 9300
post #34779 of 54989 Old 12-18-2015, 03:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 7738 Post(s)
Liked: 7023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
RE: "Simply goosing the overhead speakers in an attempt to compensate for a weak Atmos mix is just plain wrong."

I can understand your reasoning and if your hearing is good and you can properly setup your environment with room correction software - - the more power to you.

Looking for fireworks in a weak Dolby Atmos mix is understandable. Like the one poster so aptly put it - - if you're not using the overhead speakers for Dolby Atmos, then give us a solid 7.1 soundtrack.

Sometimes, I'm not sure if "reference level" or what the director intended necessarily means the right thing or the best thing for your specific environment. A lot of this is trial and error - - see what works best for you.

Lastly - - everybody/every thing needs a good "goosing" once in a while.
The main point I was hoping to make is that the balance between the overheads and the floor level speakers in an Atmos system is important because Atmos is aiming to create a three-dimensional soundstage in the HT. So upsetting the balance from the one used when the movie was mixed is potentially going to spoil what may have been a carefully crafted 3D soundscape.

I can understand why people do raise the level of their overhead speakers. They just bought a new AVR, went to the trouble and expense of installing overhead speakers and they darn well want to hear them! But many Atmos mixes are not making fantastic use of the overheads at this time and so raising the level isn't going to change that. But it may well upset the rest of the system.

FWIW I too raised the levels of my Atmos speakers (by 2dB) for the same reasons that most would. However, because I am using Dirac Live with the miniDSP DDRC-88A hardware, at the time only my floor level speakers were EQ'd by Dirac. Recently, I added a second 88A to my system so that I could apply the same EQ to my overhead speakers and bingo! - I no longer need to boost their level and my Atmos soundstage has 'snapped into focus' giving me a an entirely 3D soundstage. (Those using Audyssey will have always had EQ on all their speakers, including overheads, so they too shouldn't perhaps need to raise their level).

And yes, I 100% concur that everyone needs a good goosing whenever they can get one!
Jeremy Anderson likes this.
post #34780 of 54989 Old 12-18-2015, 03:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasender91 View Post
1) People have different opinions on this point, and installations are done both ways. I believe all speakers should be oriented towards MLP, especially in your case as you have a single seat

2) Keep speakers consistent, so get additional Focal, they are good speakers anyway. If i counted right you got 4 speakers now, so if you want to do 5.2.4 you're 5 speakers short. Going low cost, you can simply get a 5.0 kit of Birds or SuperBirds and keep using the Sibs for Atmos rear (no issue). Or you have proper space and budget for your main 5.0 and you can get a Focal Aria 926 System for your lower level.
Thanks a ton, I can get another set f the bird for $225 and match them or another set of the Sib 5 and match them for $249

I currently have Polk Monitor 70s and C2 center with Monitor 40s as surrounds. Overall over the last few years i have been fairly happy with the Polks, as entry level as they are. However they fall apart when i really appraoch like -10 or lower on music. I'm leaning toward ordering the birds and then possibly replacing the montior 40's for surround or maybe keeping the monitor 40s for surround and using whatever extra Focals i have as a zone two/three/four or just saving them for use with an older AVR in another room. I'd also be interested in selling the old AVR and all the polks to have more upgrade money.

The same time i bought the Focals, I also spent $999 on two Boston Accoustic Msubs which i'm at least going to break in before i deide if that was a big mistake.

ike i said i am an old school car audio nut, think Pheonix gold M series. A 3 way focal comp 8-5-1 in custom fiberglass pods were my favorite comps ever. I'm just not sure if i am ever going to get the low, low low for HT our of the msubs and probably should have gone ID or DIY. I definitely like sound quality, but when you're used to running 1600-2000 rms to a 15" i'm ust not sure two of the Msubs will ever make me happy.

As far as DIY towers/center i was looking at the Fusion Alchemy 8. REasonably priced, but idk how they compare to the 926 or KEFQ or R series.

Thanks for answering
post #34781 of 54989 Old 12-18-2015, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Liked: 1247
RE: "But many Atmos mixes are not making fantastic use of the overheads at this time and so raising the level isn't going to change that. But it may well upset the rest of the system."

Dead on. You do not want to compromise your system to hear sounds you think should be there. I think future Dolby Atmos soundtracks (1 yr - 2 yrs. from now) will be much better in their implementation of object technology. As it's a crime, IMHO, to label a Bluray movie "Dolby Atmos" where the use of the overheads is not apparent at all. You feel like you've been ripped off.

Imagine someone spending a couple grand (at least) for a new Dolby Atmos AVR and new speakers while working diligently to perfect their home theater layout as close to Dolby specs as possible. They've spent hours retrofitting speaker locations or adding them to their existing setup.

Then, they say - "Honey, it's ready! Let's watch a Dolby Atmos movie!" After the movie, she says to him, "I can't tell any difference!" Instant mortification. As time passes and the technology & application of object based soundtracks is perfected - - then you'll be able to truly judge the impact (and enjoyment) of Dolby Atmos in your home theater environment. Stay tuned and keep the faith.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #34782 of 54989 Old 12-18-2015, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by pletwals View Post
Attachment 1125618

There's a solution for every problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barty88 View Post
And what is that solution?

I have the same issue... couch sits against the back wall, so how do i properly install rear and surround speakers which are supposed to be behind and at the side of the head. Right now I think I have them installed too high (~7 feet and angled down) Compounding this the rear sides one is right niext to you but the other is 7 or 8 feet away to that side wall. Yamahs YPAO does the measurement thing, but not sure if that correction is enough.

Wish there were a site or a reference about oddly shaped rooms with barriers to proper optimal install like varying wall distances and doors and windows, etc.
Sorry, just kidding! I thought the pic of the caped boy made that clear enough...

All joking aside, there's only so much you can do in any given space. With your left and rear walls right next to you it might be worth trying to put the surround slightly ahead of you and make use of a dipole design. Combine this with Atmos TM + FH and it could very well turn out very okay.

It's the room, stupid!
post #34783 of 54989 Old 12-18-2015, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked: 932
^^^^^

I liken Atmos to 3D video. It always adds to the depth and immersion. But it's not always eye or ear popping. I like to think of some of the lesser Atmos movies....there's depth to them with the subtle ambience. It's more immersive than just a DD mix. The disappointment stems from us having a new technology and wanting to hear it turned up to 11 in the mix.

The newness will wear off eventually and we will accept it as the nice ambience that it is. And then occasionally we will be blown away like with Gravity, Terminator and 5E.

No different than most 3D titles are mediocre with just an element of depth....then there's Avatar, Graviry and Life Pi that are amazing.
Jeremy Anderson likes this.
post #34784 of 54989 Old 12-18-2015, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoked21 View Post
^^^^^

I liken Atmos to 3D video. It always adds to the depth and immersion. But it's not always eye or ear popping. I like to think of some of the lesser Atmos movies....there's depth to them with the subtle ambience. It's more immersive than just a DD mix. The disappointment stems from us having a new technology and wanting to hear it turned up to 11 in the mix.

The newness will wear off eventually and we will accept it as the nice ambience that it is. And then occasionally we will be blown away like with Gravity, Terminator and 5E.

No different than most 3D titles are mediocre with just an element of depth....then there's Avatar, Graviry and Life Pi that are amazing.
Let's be honest, that's true of most basic surround sound movies. I'm planning on debuting Atmos Monday night with San Andreas. Only reason I picked that movie is because people say it will show off the technology. I imagine that in a year or so the wow factor will be gone, and Atmos will just be another thing that I expect when I watch a movie. I don't think it's a bad thing at all when the theater itself slips into the background and you can just enjoy the movie.
post #34785 of 54989 Old 12-18-2015, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post
Let's be honest, that's true of most basic surround sound movies. I'm planning on debuting Atmos Monday night with San Andreas. Only reason I picked that movie is because people say it will show off the technology. I imagine that in a year or so the wow factor will be gone, and Atmos will just be another thing that I expect when I watch a movie. I don't think it's a bad thing at all when the theater itself slips into the background and you can just enjoy the movie.
I haven't watched San Andreas in Atmos but have owned since it's release. Eventually I'll get to it. Having said that, I have played the helicopter scene (oddly void of height) and some of the big quake and tidal wave scenes. Most people say the Atmos isn't all that in that movie. If it's a debut to show off the technology then go with Terminator, 5E or Gravity.

Again, I think most of us expect Atmos to be the "Main event" as someone else had said. And for the present time, that's a fair expectation. I imagine the Atmos is decent in San Andreas. If I'm showing off the technology, San Andreas wouldn't leave the shelf. Just my 2 cents.
post #34786 of 54989 Old 12-18-2015, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

DTS:X update from JDsmoothie

AV8802/A - Feb 4

AV7702MKII, SR7010, SR6010 - March 3

SR5010, NR1606 - later date in 2016
post #34787 of 54989 Old 12-18-2015, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post
Is San Andreas the #1 movie to show off Dolby Atmos technology? From what I heard Gravity is the one title you cant go wrong with for purely putting Dolby Atmos speakers to work
post #34788 of 54989 Old 12-18-2015, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2291 Post(s)
Liked: 3127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky3RD View Post
Is San Andreas the #1 movie to show off Dolby Atmos technology? From what I heard Gravity is the one title you cant go wrong with for purely putting Dolby Atmos speakers to work
It's really just a matter of opinion, folks have bashed UNCLE, I enjoyed it, thought it sounded good, but I admit to not focusing on what was coming from above. I've stopped standing on the sofa to listen to my tops. I want the overheads used when appropriate like everyone else, the helicopter rescue at the beginning of San Andreas was a missed opportunity, but more importantly I want a good mix for my lower level - 7 channels plus subs. If I was picking a demo to show off my system it would be Fury Road before Gravity, just one guy's preference, not that I didn't enjoy Gravity. There are also titles like Maze Runner using DSU that most folks would find even more impressive, just don't point out to your guests that the Dolby Atmos isn't showing on your receiver (or HTIB).

P.S. Another non-stop surround action movie with an "active" mix - Rogue Nation. I will be watching it again this weekend when I have the house to myself and can crank it up.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #34789 of 54989 Old 12-18-2015, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Dude,

You are looking for more trouble. Last thing you need to be doing now is try to show off your Dolby Atmos. From your other post we have just learned your front left and right speakers which have the only Atmos speakers in them are up high on a shelf and you have never even played an Atmos disc yet. The most you know is that sound did come out of them with the test tones.

Like i said in the other post. No more

Good luck and i do highly recommend you go back to the soundbar.
post #34790 of 54989 Old 12-18-2015, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
It's really just a matter of opinion, folks have bashed UNCLE, I enjoyed it, thought it sounded good, but I admit to not focusing on what was coming from above. I've stopped standing on the sofa to listen to my tops. I want the overheads used when appropriate like everyone else, the helicopter rescue at the beginning of San Andreas was a missed opportunity, but more importantly I want a good mix for my lower level - 7 channels plus subs. If I was picking a demo to show off my system it would be Fury Road before Gravity, just one guy's preference, not that I didn't enjoy Gravity. There are also titles like Maze Runner using DSU that most folks would find even more impressive, just don't point out to your guests that the Dolby Atmos isn't showing on your receiver (or HTIB).

P.S. Another non-stop surround action movie with an "active" mix - Rogue Nation. I will be watching it again this weekend when I have the house to myself and can crank it up.
Oddly enough i wasn't impressed with Rogue Nation's atmos mix. Terminator as other people have mentioned was really good way better than John wick IMHO

Theater:JVC RS440, Elite 120". 7.1.4:RTi8, CSi5, FXiA4, RTiA3, 620-RT(4) & SVS PB12-NSD. Denon X4300H, UPA-700, Crown XLS1502 & XLS1000(2). Sony UBP-X800, Panasonic DP-UB424, Shield & ATV 4K. Lounge:Vizio M70-D3, Benq HT1075, & Elite 106". 7.1.4:RTi12, CSi5, RTiA1, TSx110, MC60(4), & RBH I-12. Marantz AV7702, Crown XLS1500, XLS1000(2) & Amp 100v2(2). Samsung UBD-K8500, LG BP440, Shield & ATV
post #34791 of 54989 Old 12-18-2015, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 11
All joking aside, there's only so much you can do in any given space. With your left and rear walls right next to you it might be worth trying to put the surround slightly ahead of you and make use of a dipole design. Combine this with Atmos TM + FH and it could very well turn out very okay.[/QUOTE]

Sorry... whats TM + FH? I have a couple pics here that show my dilemma.... ANY advice would be appreciated. I now, also probably wont be able to afford an Atmos receiver for a while so just the RX-A1040 thats 7.2

As you can see the small speakers are mounted high for the surround. Should they be lowered a little, alot or does it REALLY matter if they are angled downward? The main 2 issues are:

1) The couch is against the back wall.... I shouldn't mount all 4 speakers in a line against that wall.... right?
2) So then the Right rear side surround (left side as you look at the pic) has nowhere really to go or it would be behind that door. I can lower it some....

Also, should my front towers come toward the middle more or are they OK there? Attached Thumbnails
post #34792 of 54989 Old 12-18-2015, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyyour View Post
Oddly enough i wasn't impressed with Rogue Nation's atmos mix. Terminator as other people have mentioned was really good way better than John wick IMHO
My point exactly

Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #34793 of 54989 Old 12-18-2015, 07:29 AM

sorry if we dont all have an ideal speaker placement

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using Tapatalk
post #34794 of 54989 Old 12-18-2015, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
My point exactly

Lol im a bit slow, i just saw the quotes

Theater:JVC RS440, Elite 120". 7.1.4:RTi8, CSi5, FXiA4, RTiA3, 620-RT(4) & SVS PB12-NSD. Denon X4300H, UPA-700, Crown XLS1502 & XLS1000(2). Sony UBP-X800, Panasonic DP-UB424, Shield & ATV 4K. Lounge:Vizio M70-D3, Benq HT1075, & Elite 106". 7.1.4:RTi12, CSi5, RTiA1, TSx110, MC60(4), & RBH I-12. Marantz AV7702, Crown XLS1500, XLS1000(2) & Amp 100v2(2). Samsung UBD-K8500, LG BP440, Shield & ATV
post #34795 of 54989 Old 12-18-2015, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
In my opinion the top 4 "show off" Dolby Atmos titles are as follows:

Mad Max - Fury Road (sonic overhead onslaught)
John Wick (crazy good 3D immersion)
Gravity (short, sweet, fully of motion)
San Andreas (take the fine china off the shelf)

"Every time I put the line in the water I said a Hail Mary and every time I said a Hail Mary I caught a fish." - Fredo
Sony XBR65A1E-Marantz AV8802a-Oppo BDP-203-Parasound Halo A21 & A31-ZoneMaster 1250 -Zamp v.3 (x2) -Paradigm Studio Sub-15 -Vandersteen Signature 2ce Mk II -Vandersteen VCC-2 center -Energy RVSS Surrounds -Yamaha NS-IC800 ceiling Atmos(x4)- Furman Elite 15i
post #34796 of 54989 Old 12-18-2015, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barty88 View Post
All joking aside, there's only so much you can do in any given space. With your left and rear walls right next to you it might be worth trying to put the surround slightly ahead of you and make use of a dipole design. Combine this with Atmos TM + FH and it could very well turn out very okay.
Sorry... whats TM + FH? I have a couple pics here that show my dilemma.... ANY advice would be appreciated. I now, also probably wont be able to afford an Atmos receiver for a while so just the RX-A1040 thats 7.2

As you can see the small speakers are mounted high for the surround. Should they be lowered a little, alot or does it REALLY matter if they are angled downward? The main 2 issues are:

1) The couch is against the back wall.... I shouldn't mount all 4 speakers in a line against that wall.... right?
2) So then the Right rear side surround (left side as you look at the pic) has nowhere really to go or it would be behind that door. I can lower it some....

Also, should my front towers come toward the middle more or are they OK there? [/QUOTE]

Here's what I have done and my MLP is pretty much against the back wall give or take a few inches. Ideal, no, but I haven't had anyone complain about how things sound. The picture just shows the "surrounds" and the position I found worked best for my TM after a little experimentation. You've got a really tough room, limited wall/floor placement options and kids to worry about too. I would review where you can place speakers and then focus on filling in the holes with the number of speakers you have available. That's the advice someone much wiser than me has given from the beginning of our Atmos journey back in September 2014 with the release of Transformers. At the same time keep the Dolby recommendations in mind as you position your speakers, follow them the best you can, but remember that Atmos speaker placement is more forgiving then it may seem if you've spent time reading this thread. Worse case you try a location, it doesn't sound good/correct and you've got to spackle/paint after relocation. When I was trying to decide where to put things step ladders were my friends. Good luck and once you've got it set up be prepared to enjoy the sound.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown-1.jpeg
Views:	189
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1127706  
erwinfrombelgium likes this.

post #34797 of 54989 Old 12-18-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarcink View Post

Thanks, which one out of those 4 has somewhat of a decent story with decent acting? I dont want to bore my audience to death by just offering great sound at the expenses of a boring story or poor acting.
post #34798 of 54989 Old 12-18-2015, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I sense a bass head in the mist. 3 of those 4 are insane sub/LF demos and I LOVE them for that. I use them for demos too! I wouldn't place them as showcase Atmos material though. Although I confess that my local forum members are slowly turning me into a bass head as well! If you want the best of both worlds (bass and Atmos).....Do yourself a favor and pickup the new Terminator movie. You'll thank me.

Marantz NR1607, Crown XLS1500 (2 in bridge mode for mains)
JTR 210RT, JTR Cap S2
Samsung 78” Curved LED 4K (KU7500)
Oppo UDP-203 UHD HDR BD player, AppleTV Gen4, Synology DS216play
STOKED Home Theater Build
post #34799 of 54989 Old 12-18-2015, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Also, should my front towers come toward the middle more or are they OK there?
Here's what I have done and my MLP is pretty much against the back wall give or take a few inches. Ideal, no, but I haven't had anyone complain about how things sound. The picture just shows the "surrounds" and the position I found worked best for my TM after a little experimentation. You've got a really tough room, limited wall/floor placement options and kids to worry about too. I would review where you can place speakers and then focus on filling in the holes with the number of speakers you have available. That's the advice someone much wiser than me has given from the beginning of our Atmos journey back in September 2014 with the release of Transformers. At the same time keep the Dolby recommendations in mind as you position your speakers, follow them the best you can, but remember that Atmos speaker placement is more forgiving then it may seem if you've spent time reading this thread. Worse case you try a location, it doesn't sound good/correct and you've got to spackle/paint after relocation. When I was trying to decide where to put things step ladders were my friends. Good luck and once you've got it set up be prepared to enjoy the sound.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I think my biggest decision is what to do with the two side rear surrounds. I can put the left one on that very narrow strp of wall next to the couch but then that right one would either be behind that door (which isnt an option) or down further next to that window .... but that wouldn't be symmetrical with the other one.... or I leave the left one up high, move it back and down a few inches, keep it angled down and do the same wit the right? How important is symmetry? I will also pull those rears down a couple feet too.
post #34800 of 54989 Old 12-18-2015, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked: 2448
Quote:

I haven't seen Mad Max - Fury Road because I didn't like the original movie. I thought it was just violence and destruction. Is this one like the first or should I give it a rent?

lujan
515 Ultra HD
724 HD
4 SD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page