The official Dolby Atmos thread (home theater version) - Page 1284 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26442Likes

post #38491 of 56256 Old 02-26-2016, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post
I contacted their customer support and requested to buy that issue, my only issue is I got the bill and it of course isnt in English, all I understood was $7 euros, so I have to figure out how to fill it out so I can pay for it lol.

Do you still have a link to where you can purchase the magazine with the ATMOS disc?

Thanks.

Ray

www.raysdvds.org
Denon AVR-X6200W; JVC RS500; Panasonic DMP-UB900; Oppo UDP-203;
Klipsch Speakers: RF-82, RC-62, RS-52, RB-61, RT-10d sub, Klipsch CDT-3650-C (4) ceiling.
Pioneer Dolby Atmos enabled Elite Concentric Speakers: SP-EFS73, SP-EBS73, and SP-EC73 in the guest room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #38492 of 56256 Old 02-26-2016, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
That looks great! Although I have to ask about the left side overheads, they are really close to the wall aren't they? Did you consider bringing the overhead arrays in a bit more narrow to give them some breathing room from the wall? Or is your setup just so asymmetrical in the room that it's the way it's gonna be?
Yes... good point. It's not ideal, but the MLP is centered between the overheads the way it is. Due to the doorways (not visible) on the the front and right wall, there's no way to shift the MLP to the right. So the choices were to keep the overheads equidistant from MLP and in-line with the mains, but have the left side up against the wall, OR move them away from the wall, and tighten the overhead rectangle. I opted for this as you can see, to stick as closely as possible to the placement guidelines.

Looking at the pink noise spectrum on the RTA from the overheads, the ones on the left (near the wall) get reinforcement from that so I had to trim the level down about 1dB overall on that side, plus the bass frequencies were more pronounced so I had to trim them about 3dB more using the PEQ. They sound pretty indistinguishable now.

SONY 75X850C | YAMAHA RX-A2050 | 5 DAYTON AUDIO APA150 | KLIPSCH RP 5.2.4
post #38493 of 56256 Old 02-26-2016, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjenkins95 View Post
Do you still have a link to where you can purchase the magazine with the ATMOS disc?

Thanks.

Ray
Okay I included the email response, I better get likes for this lol

Spoiler!
Bodyslide and DAK4 like this.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Unity 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, HTPC, 2017 nVidia Shield, Hauppauge OTA DVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #38494 of 56256 Old 02-26-2016, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdwilly3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyLSU View Post
Along the lines of using a bipole speaker as an on-ceiling speaker. If you're running a 5.1.2 system, I could see benefit in using a bipole speaker if you have people sitting in front of the MLP. I have two bookshelves with decent dispersion point directly at the MLP and if I sit in front (to allow others on the sofa), I lose some of the effect. I'd be interested in trying a budget set of bipoles to see how it sounds, just have to find some.
About the best deal that I know of is the Def Tech 8040SR on eBay.

From bajawaverunner (Def Tech outlet), they are $105 each (refurbished) with free shipping.

I have bought a number of things from them, and every single one has been like new.

So, $210 for pair...
Thanks fot the suggestion. I will look into them. Any thoughts on if my theory holds water?
post #38495 of 56256 Old 02-26-2016, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked: 932
Not Saying I told you so....But I am saying I warned you!

So many people pushed back on me last year when I was very vocal about not buying a non-HDCP2.2 AVR and cautioning people to strongly not buy old models without 2.2 compliance....Most people said I was wrong and that the studios would never release Atmos just on UHD discs..And then studios such as Disney and Fox released statements saying they were reserving immersive audio for UHD....No different than Vudu only puts Atmos on their UHD rentals (which also require HDCP2.2).

Well as of today, I now have 4K UHD discs in hand of: Ender's Game, Salt, Amazing Spiderman 2, Hancock, Smurfs 2, Pineapple Express, Lego Movie and Chappie all with Dolby Atmos. These packs also contain regular BD. However, the regular BD are just DD+ or Dolby TrueHD. That's a total of 8 new Atmos movies released today....And all only available on UHD with HDCP2.2.....I know these are not the best movies per say, but they are new titles in Atmos sound format. And there are another couple hundred slated to come throughout the year with UHD Atmos updates. But only on the UHD discs and the regular BD will not include it. The regular BD are just pressings of the original movie release.

Sure, some studios will continue to put Atmos on the regular BD for new releases (Hunger Games, Heart of the Sea, etc), but you likely won't see re-releases of older movies with Atmos except on UHD.

As an FYI, other UHD discs with Atmos that are in stores: San Andreas, Sicario, Expendables 3, Pan, Mad Max:Fury. And UHD with DTS:X Last WitchHunter. I picked up Mad Max and Witch Hunter while I was at it for UHD Atmos and X demo material. These ones, being newer releases, all have immersive audio on the regular BD though.

I'm really not trying to say I told you so for those few naysayers who were out there. I am strongly suggesting that those who have not bought their AVR yet, do not consider a non-2.2 model. For those who have bought their AVR, you should really consider an upgrade or a lower cost alternative such as the HD Fury Integral. I've been recommending the Fury for some time, but have no first hand experience with it since I'm all 2.2.

In a nut shell, my Atmos collection just went from about 20 discs to 28 discs in one day of new releases....

Marantz NR1607, Crown XLS1500 (2 in bridge mode for mains)
JTR 210RT, JTR Cap S2
Samsung 78” Curved LED 4K (KU7500)
Oppo UDP-203 UHD HDR BD player, AppleTV Gen4, Synology DS216play
STOKED Home Theater Build

Last edited by Stoked21; 02-26-2016 at 03:27 PM.
post #38496 of 56256 Old 02-26-2016, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyLSU View Post
Thanks fot the suggestion. I will look into them. Any thoughts on if my theory holds water?
Yep...if you are running 2 rows of seats and doing only 5.1.2 and mount the dipoles so that you are covering both rows, it makes perfect sense to me.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...-profiles.html

Atmos Dolby 7.2.4; Epson 6040UB; Panasonic UB820; TiVo Roamio; Roku Stick+

Last edited by dvdwilly3; 02-26-2016 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Unclear language
post #38497 of 56256 Old 02-26-2016, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quick thing to point out....

It's taken nearly a year for 20 Atmos discs to be released in the US. I already own 20 UHD discs in just the 2 weeks since the first player started selling. That demonstrates how prolific UHD will be versus immersive audio. I think we all knew that UHD will gain more foot-hold as people typically don't want to install countless speakers in their room to support immersive audio.

I personally am holding out on re-buying any UHD discs that do NOT contain immersive audio. I'm a huge Atmos junkie. If the studios won't put Atmos on the disc, then there's a very slim chance I'll buy it....As a matter of fact, 98% of all discs I buy have to be Atmos or X....Otherwise I'll just stream them via rental on Vudu....

On the other hand, I'm also not buying regular BD that have Atmos either (unless it's a killer movie). I'm seeing some lesser movies like "In the heart of the sea" that are being released in a few weeks with Atmos. But if I hold out for 2 months, I can get the UHD version with Atmos....Might as well wait and eliminate any potential double dipping. I'd rather have discs with new video format and with Atmos as opposed to legacy BD with Atmos....

I'm also seeing that DeadPool is going to be released in UHD with Atmos.....Seeing as Marvel's rights are with Fox, that means the regular BD will not have Atmos....
dvdwilly3 and Daniel Chaves like this.

Last edited by Stoked21; 02-26-2016 at 03:33 PM.
post #38498 of 56256 Old 02-26-2016, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
FINALLY~~~

Have my Atmos card from DATASAT and will get to finally try it out!! Stay tuned!!
Jeff, that is good news. I've been waiting for this for a long time; can't wait to read your first impressions.
thebland likes this.
post #38499 of 56256 Old 02-26-2016, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
Quote:
I'm also seeing that DeadPool is going to be released in UHD with Atmos.....Seeing as Marvel's rights are with Fox, that means the regular BD will not have Atmos....
Time to switch over; hello UHD Blu-ray...bye bye regular Blu. ...There is BR 3D too, but Atmos-less too I'm afraid...such a harsh world to live in.

It's sad because 3D immersive audio truly goes with 3D picture. (((3D))) picture & sound.

But what the heck; UHD BR ... with Dolby Atmos (May 2016).
nethien likes this.
post #38500 of 56256 Old 02-26-2016, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Time to switch over; hello UHD Blu-ray...bye bye regular Blu. ...There is BR 3D too, but Atmos-less too I'm afraid...such a harsh world to live in.

It's sad because 3D immersive audio truly goes with 3D picture. (((3D))) picture & sound.

But what the heck; UHD BR ... with Dolby Atmos (May 2016).
This just SUX that the trend may be to limit Atmos to UHD copy but not the BR.
I've been waiting to finish up a non-AV project to by an Oppo-103 for the up-conversion, for my extensive DVD & LD collection....now I'll just have to put it off longer to by a UHD player first to have my Atmos.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
post #38501 of 56256 Old 02-26-2016, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoked21 View Post
So many people pushed back on me last year when I was very vocal about not buying a non-HDCP2.2 AVR and cautioning people to strongly not buy old models without 2.2 compliance....Most people said I was wrong and that the studios would never release Atmos just on UHD discs..And then studios such as Disney and Fox released statements saying they were reserving immersive audio for UHD....No different than Vudu only puts Atmos on their UHD rentals (which also require HDCP2.2).

Well as of today, I now have 4K UHD discs in hand of: Ender's Game, Salt, Amazing Spiderman 2, Hancock, Smurfs 2, Pineapple Express, Lego Movie and Chappie all with Dolby Atmos. These packs also contain regular BD. However, the regular BD are just DD+ or Dolby TrueHD. That's a total of 8 new Atmos movies released today....And all only available on UHD with HDCP2.2.....I know these are not the best movies per say, but they are new titles in Atmos sound format. And there are another couple hundred slated to come throughout the year with UHD Atmos updates. But only on the UHD discs and the regular BD will not include it. The regular BD are just pressings of the original movie release.

Sure, some studios will continue to put Atmos on the regular BD for new releases (Hunger Games, Heart of the Sea, etc), but you likely won't see re-releases of older movies with Atmos except on UHD.

As an FYI, other UHD discs with Atmos that are in stores: San Andreas, Sicario, Expendables 3, Pan, Mad Max:Fury. And UHD with DTS:X Last WitchHunter. I picked up Mad Max and Witch Hunter while I was at it for UHD Atmos and X demo material. These ones, being newer releases, all have immersive audio on the regular BD though.

I'm really not trying to say I told you so for those few naysayers who were out there. I am strongly suggesting that those who have not bought their AVR yet, do not consider a non-2.2 model. For those who have bought their AVR, you should really consider an upgrade or a lower cost alternative such as the HD Fury Integral. I've been recommending the Fury for some time, but have no first hand experience with it since I'm all 2.2.

In a nut shell, my Atmos collection just went from about 20 discs to 28 discs in one day of new releases....
I have the "Salt" UHD blu-ray (I'm going to start calling them black-rays), and it looks fabulous on my all 1080p system with Integral.

However, I can bypass the Integral and run input 1 of the 8500 direct into my Denon 5200 and get 1080p video and Atmos audio. It appears the need for the Integral may be Studio dependant if one wants to continue playing black-rays on an all 1080p system.

The Integral is transparent as far as I can see, so it stays inline here. Between the color regrading for the 4K scan and my Darbee Darblet, "Salt" on UHD disc, downrezzed to lowly 1080p looked and sounded great. Lots of pop and deep blacks. The Blu-ray looked a bit washed out in comparison.
ALtlOff and Molon_Labe like this.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
post #38502 of 56256 Old 02-26-2016, 05:03 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 5986 Post(s)
Liked: 5115
@Stoked21

Does the UHD player output 1080p picture to a 1080p display device with UHD playback?

Locked out completely or do you get a 1080p picture?

Thanks.
post #38503 of 56256 Old 02-26-2016, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Thanks. Technically I only have one row, but the couch can be reconfigured to a couch plus two singles with ottomans. When I do this, the two singles are a little in front of my ceiling speakers. I may try the bipoles and see what happens.
post #38504 of 56256 Old 02-26-2016, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Enders Game (UHD Atmos):

Top 3 Atmos tracks of all time. It has the eerie effects like Mad Max opening and Dracula in numerous places throughout the movie. Lots of ambient effects like in Stokers Dracula. Environmental effects such as in Leaf, Amaze and MMFR. Shooting scenes with subtlety like in Wick. Space scenes are there but a little weak. Orchestral arrangements moving into the tops as well. The scenes where Ender is playing the iPad like games are great. All in all there are no long scenes that just blow you away with intense, long Atmos immersion. But there are numerous parts that just showcase the excellence of the technology peppered throughout the films entirety. Countless places where the ULF just shakes the room. And a great story too IMO. Something about the story always reminds me of an Orwell work like Animal Farm.

If you are looking for mind blowing Atmos such as in Gravity, are an Atmos noob and still looking for constant Top usage, have a mediocre Atmos installation, or can't accept subtle tasteful Atmos activity with areas of increased intensity, then this one may not showcase for you real well. But I place it as second best Atmos mix yet....
grtuck, Nalleh and Molon_Labe like this.
post #38505 of 56256 Old 02-26-2016, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
@Stoked21

Does the UHD player output 1080p picture to a 1080p display device with UHD playback?

Locked out completely or do you get a 1080p picture?

Thanks.
I tried one Fox title a few weeks ago and they didn't disable down Rez when I hooked it up to a 1080p panel. So it worked, but each studio can opt to disable that. I've heard some people claim not to be getting Atmos when hooked to 1080 though. Some have also had issues with Atmos when trying to run audio out of the 1.4 port on the player too. But that could be user error with pcm or something. I haven't tried the WB or Sony movies on a 1080. Others have reported great success with the Fury Integral for both Atmos and 1080 panels/pj. Many of them are getting 2.2 errors with no video output without the Fury. So it's a mixed bag of feedback.

Again take it all with a grain of salt Cus there are a lot of owners who really don't seem to understand much of anything, if I say it bluntly but nicely. I'm not gong to go crazy testing things as my system is all 2.2 and works great (other than awaiting HDR update from Matantz). Call me selfish but it ain't broke so I'm not disconnecting things and moving them through the house academically.

Even if studios don't prevent down rezz, clearly a UHD player is still needed regardless.
post #38506 of 56256 Old 02-26-2016, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
@Stoked21

You running the Samsung player?

Thanks Derek

Chris
Yeah I got mine 3 weeks ago with 4-5 flicks. I picked up another 12 flicks today. All from my local BB and most with Atmos. I have another 3-4 being delivered early next week. I get pseudo-4K with jvc eshift which is really great. My HDR doesn't work quite right due to 7702mk2. Pj and prepro report 444 ycbcr 10-bit HDR but I'm calling BS as Marsntz supposedly "requires" fw update to pass HDR...pj claims its receiving the metadata though. Colors look a little better but not as intense as the HDR demos I've seen. I'll know more next Thursday once the X/HDR fw is installed. Until them I'm enjoying the 4K with Atmos...
post #38507 of 56256 Old 02-27-2016, 03:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 541
I need to buy a new AVR that is Atmos enabled. However I can wait till about September/October. Do you think there will be any new high-end Atmos AVR's released between now and then? I have a fair soft spot for Denon and the 7200. Are there any new features that may come out in the next version? I need to basically be able to power the bottom 7 speakers from the AVR and I can use my 5 channel Rotel to power the 4 in ceiling speakers. I did see somewhere that there may be 9.1.4 in the future.
post #38508 of 56256 Old 02-27-2016, 04:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:

I am in the midst of plans for upgrading an audio-only room to an Atmos audio-visual room, and this may significantly impact my plans.

Video will be supplied by a Vivitek Projector, 1080P, so I have been ignoring 4K for all practical purposes. Connected with this, my plan includes the Marantz 7702 Pre/Pro, not the Mark II, as once again 4K is not in the foreseeable future for this system.

But as I do definitely want a good Atmos experience, based on what you're saying, apparently I need to pay attention to this. A few specific questions:

1. Can I get a UHD Blu-Ray Player that will output 1080P and Atmos audio, and if so, which one? If this works, then I don't need to change any plans other than the Blu-Ray Player.

2. Are UHD Discs available for rental, and/or are they likely to be available for rental in the future? I don't really care to spend a lot of money on Discs, and in the past, have enjoyed just renting and watching Blu-Rays - much more cost-effective.

3. If the only way I can get the 'true' Atmos experience is to buy UHD Discs, which I'd rather not do, and have to rely on watching conventional Blu-Ray (which will only occasionally have actual Atmos, based on what I've read here), utilizing DSU to gain any kind of simulated Atmos experience, is it even worthwhile adding Atmos to begin with???

Thanks!

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
post #38509 of 56256 Old 02-27-2016, 04:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 541
So what happens if you have to buy only UHD disks for full Atmos and you only have a 1080p projector? Damn I just realised my Denon 103D might not play Atmos. Please, someone tell me that it works!
post #38510 of 56256 Old 02-27-2016, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1272
Are UHD discs for rent? That's a great question. I haven't bought a Blu-ray Disc in years. I rent via Redbox. And will continue to do so as long as they are open for business. I could augment this with 3D Bluray Rental which mails the full version of each movie out - complete with trailers.

Since I have no 4K TV in my man cave, I have no interest in UHD discs except for the Dolby Atmos soundtrack.

On to whether Dolby Atmos is worth it. To me, the ability to gain 11 active speakers in my home theater with an older, non HDCP 2.0/2.2 AVR is worth the investment with my Denon x5200. If the audio signal is not Atmos native, I listen to everything in DTS Neo X - a personal preference with emphasis on the center channel in Cinema mode. I do not have DTS X or Neural X but I can use DSU for Dolby (non native Atmos) or DTS soundtracks.

As mentioned, the HD Fury is one solution but I have not heard if it has been confirmed that with a UHD player and disc -- that you get 1080p video with the native Atmos track. Why wouldn't the studios have a player that could recognize that you do not have a 4K TV but still allow the Atmos or DTS X soundtrack with a 1080p? You could still sell new UHD players and UHD discs this way.

Since I do not buy Blu-ray Discs, period, I'll just have to see how this shakes out. Fifteen or twenty bucks for a movie I'll never watch again isn't a good investment. But that's me -- many other folks will go all in for a new TV, UHD Player and UHD discs. I just ain't one of them. It's all whatever floats your boat with this hobby.
DLCPhoto likes this.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #38511 of 56256 Old 02-27-2016, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a Denon avr e400 that I'm running as a 6.1. Klipsch kf-28's for front L/R. Klipsch kc-25 for my center. klipsch ks-14 for my left, right and rear surround and klipsch r12-sw for my sub. (trust me I want a 7.1 but I just barely don't have the wall space I checked) anyway, I want to know if I can run Dolby Atmos with a 6.1 system if and when I decide to buy an atmos enabled receiver and install the ceiling speakers. another question is, I don't think I like Denon's sound processing, if I don't like denon what receiver would I like. (im not sold on onkyo either) I want brighter and clearer sounds. any info would be good. thanks in advance
post #38512 of 56256 Old 02-27-2016, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
Are UHD discs for rent?
The 3D rental website has them, don't have the URL handy right now.

-EDIT- Here you go: http://www.store-3d-blurayrental.com/

Last edited by scarabaeus; 02-27-2016 at 06:59 AM.
post #38513 of 56256 Old 02-27-2016, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
... However, the regular BD are just DD+ or Dolby TrueHD.
Thanks for the report. I was not planning to buy an UHD player until there is one with Dolby Vision support, but I might have to recant on that.

Say, the regular Blu-ray that came with the Lego Movie, it's not 3D, is it?
post #38514 of 56256 Old 02-27-2016, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Please clarify for me, I have an Atmos setup, 5.1.2, with a Sony 3500 BD player. Can I purchase a UHD disc that has Atmos and watch it even though my TV is 1080P?

Also, if the BD says Atmos 7.1.4, will my AVR break that down to 5.1.2?

I've been looking to buy Enders Game as a reference for Atmos but I can't find a BD that says it has Atmos. I see the different formats (4k, DVD, BD) but I can't see which one has the Atmos.

Sorry for the newb questions.

Samsung 65KS-8000 VAA02, Xfinity X1 DVR, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500
Onkyo TX-NR747, Set up: Atmos 5.1.2
Klipsch R-26FA L/R), Klipsch R250 (C), Klipsch RP-140D (SS)
Subs: SVS BP-2000
Amazon Echo, Harmony Hub, Harmony Ultimate One, Samsung Smartthings Hub
post #38515 of 56256 Old 02-27-2016, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4607 Post(s)
Liked: 2678
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedesert View Post
Please clarify for me, I have an Atmos setup, 5.1.2, with a Sony 3500 BD player. Can I purchase a UHD disc that has Atmos and watch it even though my TV is 1080P?

I've been looking to buy Enders Game as a reference for Atmos but I can't find a BD that says it has Atmos. I see the different formats (4k, DVD, BD) but I can't see which one has the Atmos.

It's not the BD that has Atmos, it's the UHD version that has it:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/enders-g...&skuId=4881704

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...ilpage_o02_s00

lujan
561 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD
post #38516 of 56256 Old 02-27-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:

I believe it does break it down or "down scale" to 5.1.2. most anything that is mastered higher that 5.1 will downscale. i.e. if you have a 7.1 decoded movie and only a 5.1 setup it downscales. hope that helps a little.
post #38517 of 56256 Old 02-27-2016, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Quote:

It's not the BD that has Atmos, it's the UHD version that has it:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/enders-g...&skuId=4881704

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...ilpage_o02_s00
Thanks for the links. I found it on Amazon already but it doesn't say atmos on it. Wasn't sure. Will this play as 1080p and if so will the atmos still be there.
post #38518 of 56256 Old 02-27-2016, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
There is no "Atmos 7.1.4", it's just "Atmos". Some studios are mis-labeling that on the back of their discs.
sdurani likes this.
post #38519 of 56256 Old 02-27-2016, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2848
Quote:
Thanks for the links. I found it on Amazon already but it doesn't say atmos on it. Wasn't sure. Will this play as 1080p and if so will the atmos still be there.
Samsung's UBD-K8500 4K player can downcovert UHD discs to 1080p and provides Atmos.

UHD BD (4K) discs will *not* play on a standard Blu-ray player, not even on those which can up-convert 1080p to 4K. They will not play on any current Oppo player. You must get a UHD disc player. At the moment, the only UHD BD player that's shipping is the Samsung UBD-K8500 (list ~$400), and it's in very short supply. The Panasonic DMP-UB900 is expected to ship within a couple of months with a much higher price. Most 4K players aren't expected to be available until the fall when MediaTek's 4K chipset will be available.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #38520 of 56256 Old 02-27-2016, 08:57 AM

Well that brings me to my question , will "Atmos" support a 6.1.2 setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page