The official Dolby Atmos thread (home theater version) - Page 1290 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25165Likes

post #38671 of 55189 Old 03-04-2016, 04:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdwilly3 View Post
Okay, for your situation, this would be my shortlist...

Monitor Audio Silver FX, $850 a pair...

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_893SLVR...FX-Walnut.html, (they also come in black oak, same price), or

Goldenear Technology, Aon 2, $399 each ($800 a pair)...

While I am a real Goldenear fan (obviously...), to be honest about it, I would favor the Monitor's.
They are not all that big, but their sound is pristine...
Their woofer is a proprietary 6 1/2" rigid driver which matches your 601s...
And, they are sealed units and a true bipole...you can run them dipole, but I would not.

Put them on stands, and smile...

I am sure that others can make still other recommendations...
The Goldenear Technology, Aon 2 are really expensive here in UK, almost £900 for the pair! The Monitors are i see the same ones you are using for your side surrounds also! Thats great, they look a nice small size too and i like the shape of them.

Someone else in last post recommended me the B&W 646 for the side surrounds, but if they are like my current 601 Back speakers then they will also be huge and a bit to big for the space I'm trying to fit them in!

So i have the Monitor Audio Silver FX Gloss Black chosen now for the sides most likely!

I could possibly even wall mount the right side speaker that is going behind the sofa/door and then put the left one near the fireplace on a stand.

By the way what sort of stand would i need for this speaker? Can you also tell me what you mean by a sealed unit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #38672 of 55189 Old 03-04-2016, 04:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 141
If you have an Atmos processor playing Atmos content but no tops, heights or upfiring speakers, does the processor redirect the overhead content to the surrounds or front to surrounds in some fashion?

Separately, if you have top middle only, does the processor put all overhead info into those speakers or, except for snaps, does it remap some of the content to the front mains and rear surrounds or side to side as the case may be?

Last edited by jqmn; 03-04-2016 at 04:55 AM.
post #38673 of 55189 Old 03-04-2016, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer_Nads View Post
The Goldenear Technology, Aon 2 are really expensive here in UK, almost £900 for the pair! The Monitors are i see the same ones you are using for your side surrounds also! Thats great, they look a nice small size too and i like the shape of them.

Someone else in last post recommended me the B&W 646 for the side surrounds, but if they are like my current 601 Back speakers then they will also be huge and a bit to big for the space I'm trying to fit them in!

So i have the Monitor Audio Silver FX Gloss Black chosen now for the sides most likely!

I could possibly even wall mount the right side speaker that is going behind the sofa/door and then put the left one near the fireplace on a stand.

By the way what sort of stand would i need for this speaker? Can you also tell me what you mean by a sealed unit?
For stands, there are any number of makers and designs that would work, but stable. I have a couple of sets of these...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage

in my HT. They are a little industrial looking, but solid as a rock with locking pins and holes every 4" (6"?) or so. I also use mounting putty under each corner of stand mounted speakers to make them less susceptible of getting knocked off or out of position. They can be pushed up against a wall so that there is only about 6" between the back of the speaker and the wall.

Re sealed (acoustic suspension) vs ported speakers...most speakers these days are rear ported. That is, they have a hole in the box to let trapped air out of the box. That makes them a bit more picky about placement, as in, you cannot flush mount them on a wall without compromising their performance. Sealed units, on the other hand can be placed directly on the wall without affecting their performance.

Having said all of that, there is probably some boundary effect resulting from the plane of the wall such that you might notice a difference between mounting the same speaker on the wall vs on a stand.

Given that the only way that you are probably going to find speaker stands is in pairs, I would just stand mount both of them. If appearance is a factor for stands, Sanus (and others) make some reasonably priced more furniture looking stands.
Killer_Nads likes this.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...-profiles.html

Atmos Dolby 7.2.4; Epson 6040UB; Panasonic UB820; TiVo Roamio; Roku Stick+

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #38674 of 55189 Old 03-04-2016, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by showmak View Post
Here is Yamaha reply regarding NS-IC800

"Thanks for contacting Yamaha. The dispersion angle on those, and all other in-ceiling speakers, is about 45 degrees. On this particular model, you can swivel the tweeter 15 degrees in any direction, so it can be pointed at the listening position for more directed audio.

Let us know if you need further assistance."

Sent from my iPhone6s+ using Tapatalk
Not to come across to clueless yet for the NS-IC800 make it agood option for an Atmos application?

"These go to eleven." - Great words from Nigel Tufnel.
post #38675 of 55189 Old 03-04-2016, 06:31 AM

Please see my new Speaker placements on the attached image.

Let me know of things that are majorly wrong here and/or what should be changed to be improved. The backs and sides i have put down to just above ear level which obviously you are not able to see in the image.

Before this my backs were UP about three quarters of the way to the ceiling and in the corners of the back wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RoomSketcher 2 Project Image.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	1293161  
post #38676 of 55189 Old 03-04-2016, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasender91 View Post
@Killer_Nads ,

What i would do in your case, given you have a relatively small room ...

1) Install surround speakers on stands, with the location you defined earlier (used B&W 601 or B&W 686)
2) Install back surrounds on stands or furniture, same height as surrounds (used B&W 601 or B&W 686), but do not set them up too much inside the room, you want to have them as far away as you can from your listening position.
3) Reuse your current B&W 601 as Top Rear Atmos, but you should aim the speakers down towards your sofa !
4) Get a pair of in-ceilings, place them about halfway , and designate them as Atmos Top Front.

Voila, 7.1.4
Hmm, that might be a clever use of my current Rear back surround speakers! Okay so what you are saying is that:

- i keep my current back ones in the same location where they currently sit but use them for back atmos speakers instead.

- Buy new side surround speakers (i think the Monitor Audio Silver FX is a perfect size for my sides).

- Install 2 atmos front speakers in the ceiling.

- Buy and set up 2 Rear Back surround speakers.

All that sounds good as i wouldn't have to move my current backs (less work) plus i also would only need to install 2 in ceiling speakers (also less work and holes). It sounds good on paper, but would the atmos perform just as good in this sort of configuration instead of the 4 in-ceiling ones?

Also from this i would have to work out how/where and what to install for my Rear Back speakers!
post #38677 of 55189 Old 03-04-2016, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hmm, that might be a clever use of my current Rear back surround speakers! Okay so what you are saying is that:

- i keep my current back ones in the same location where they currently sit but use them for back atmos speakers instead.

- Buy new side surround speakers (i think the Monitor Audio Silver FX is a perfect size for my sides).

- Install 2 atmos front speakers in the ceiling.

- Buy and set up 2 Rear Back surround speakers.

All that sounds good as i wouldn't have to move my current backs (less work) plus i also would only need to install 2 in ceiling speakers (also less work and holes). It sounds good on paper, but would the atmos perform just as good in this sort of configuration instead of the 4 in-ceiling ones?

Also from this i would have to work out how/where and what to install for my Rear Back speakers!
I would think that Atmos would work in this configuration just about as well as your other proposed configuration. And, the other consideration, less work, is always appealing.
The only hitch might be (depending upon the AVR...) you would have to run them as Top Rear as opposed to Rear High. But, I still think that they would work...

I would suggest that if you go that route, consider Monitor Audio Silver 1s for your rear surrounds ($875 pair at Crutchfield and most other retailers state-side. They would be a timbre match with the Monitor Audio FX side surrounds.

Sounds like a plan!
Killer_Nads likes this.

post #38678 of 55189 Old 03-04-2016, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2845
Quote:
Originally Posted by jqmn View Post
If you have an Atmos processor playing Atmos content but no tops, heights or upfiring speakers, does the processor redirect the overhead content to the surrounds or front to surrounds in some fashion?
All of the overhead sounds are included in the 7.1 ear-level speaker channels. If you have overhead speakers, the Atmos decoder moves the appropriate sounds from the ear-level speakers to the overheads.

Quote:
Separately, if you have top middle only, does the processor put all overhead info into those speakers or, except for snaps, does it remap some of the content to the front mains and rear surrounds or side to side as the case may be?
Overhead audio usually maps entirely to whichever overhead speakers you have. The person who mixed the soundtrack will have decided whether or not there should be any phantom-imaging between the overheads and the ear-level speakers.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #38679 of 55189 Old 03-04-2016, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I would think that Atmos would work in this configuration just about as well as your other proposed configuration. And, the other consideration, less work, is always appealing.
The only hitch might be (depending upon the AVR...) you would have to run them as Top Rear as opposed to Rear High. But, I still think that they would work...

I would suggest that if you go that route, consider Monitor Audio Silver 1s for your rear surrounds ($875 pair at Crutchfield and most other retailers state-side. They would be a timbre match with the Monitor Audio FX side surrounds.

Sounds like a plan!
IF you do not already have the Atmos front pair, you might consider...

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_893CPCT...-CP-CT260.html

I do not have them, have not heard them, but they should work well with your setup.

Monitor Audio makes a number of in-wall models both larger and smaller and in
slightly different configurations. I like the models that incorporate a back box
so that you do not have to worry about that issue.
Killer_Nads likes this.

post #38680 of 55189 Old 03-04-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:

Sounds like a plan!
Plan is definitely starting to come togather thats for sure!!

To be honest the work was not too bad as a builder/worker is going to be installing them anyway, so i won't need to do much apart from order him around and make sure he is doing things correctly Which is why I'm still looking for the best solution, but you say that this should work just the same, lets see if anyone else has any suggestions!

Im most likely going to go with the Marantz receiver, the one that can do 11 channels (with an extra stereo amp i guess). If we go this route, as those current speakers would be used instead the second pair of in ceiling atmos speakers then YES i would have them as TOP REAR (is this what the atmos speakers location is called?) instead of BACK REAR.

If you see my pics of my room from my post 1-2 days ago on here, do you think the positions of those current backs are perfect or do they need to be changed in anyway?

Those Monitor Audio Silver 1s look good, thanks for that suggestion, is that the best ones that you think i should go for? Anyone else with any other recommendations? These cost £500 in UK which are affordable. But i want the best solution, but also need to take into consideration i guess that the speakers need to match my current B&W's.

Also any suggestions for the in ceiling speakers? Do they need to point straight down or can the angle be twisted inside the speaker grill to point them to the coach from which ever location i install them in front of the Seats.

Thanks
post #38681 of 55189 Old 03-04-2016, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I know this has probably been asked a multitude of times in this thread, but I know that each room has different dynamics. If my room is 14 feet wide, by lets say 40 feet long, my sitting area is 12 feet from the screen. Would I be better off running a 5.1.4 setup, or a 7.1.2 ? My ceiling is 7ft 2 inches tall. Also, I have energy rc-50s, energy rc-lcr, and rc-10 for surrounds, what would be a similar match for ceiling speakers ?

Xbox Live- bucknuts07

PSN-bucknuts07

post #38682 of 55189 Old 03-04-2016, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Plan is definitely starting to come togather thats for sure!!

To be honest the work was not too bad as a builder/worker is going to be installing them anyway, so i won't need to do much apart from order him around and make sure he is doing things correctly Which is why I'm still looking for the best solution, but you say that this should work just the same, lets see if anyone else has any suggestions!

Im most likely going to go with the Marantz receiver, the one that can do 11 channels (with an extra stereo amp i guess). If we go this route, as those current speakers would be used instead the second pair of in ceiling atmos speakers then YES i would have them as TOP REAR (is this what the atmos speakers location is called?) instead of BACK REAR.

If you see my pics of my room from my post 1-2 days ago on here, do you think the positions of those current backs are perfect or do they need to be changed in anyway?

Those Monitor Audio Silver 1s look good, thanks for that suggestion, is that the best ones that you think i should go for? Anyone else with any other recommendations? These cost £500 in UK which are affordable. But i want the best solution, but also need to take into consideration i guess that the speakers need to match my current B&W's.

Also any suggestions for the in ceiling speakers? Do they need to point straight down or can the angle be twisted inside the speaker grill to point them to the coach from which ever location i install them in front of the Seats.

Thanks
In re...

"If you see my pics of my room from my post 1-2 days ago on here, do you think the positions of those current backs are perfect or do they need to be changed in anyway?"

I would suggest (as someone else already suggested...) that you point them closer to the seating position rather than straight out into the room as they appear to be now.
You may need to play with that to avoid "hot spotting" of the Top Rear speakers.
But, yes, I think that this would work.
Killer_Nads likes this.

post #38683 of 55189 Old 03-04-2016, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
A lot of people told me "Once you go Anthem, you never go back." ARC is supposed to be on a whole new level over any other mainstream room correction too. Also, you shouldn't be paying MSRP anyway. I picked mine up from an authorized reseller (in Canada) even though I live in the US. I am getting it after customs tax (which I just found out I *might* not have to pay under NAFTA) and shipping for about 29% less than US MSRP.

Hopefully I am right as it IS still a heavy cost for a receiver. At least for someone who paid $200 for his first receiver and $800 for his current on (until the Anthem arrives)...
Can I ask which re-seller you went through? Website?
And how/when will you know about the customs tax?
I work in MI - about 3.5hrs from Mississauga - and have wondered if somehow driving over the border can get me a better deal. I am trying to make the 1120 happen sometime this year and your post peaked my interest
post #38684 of 55189 Old 03-04-2016, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 174
I guess I'll have to get my Front-Wides installed before watching The Force Awakens... at around 28 sec in he talks about pulling the music out of just the front L+R to widen the front sound stage. "Atmos takes it to another level"

Sound of Symphony in Dolby Atmos

Samsung UN75HU8500 TS01 w/SEK-3500U, K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Xbox One; Xfinity X1
Dolby Atmos and DTS:X 7w.1.4; Denon X6200W; Audiosource AMP102; GoldenEar SuperSat 60/60C, SuperSat 50, SuperSat 3/3C, Invisa 525; SVS PB-2000
Harmony Ultimate One; Insteon; Acoustimac
post #38685 of 55189 Old 03-04-2016, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1235 Post(s)
Liked: 1236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Davis View Post
I have my computer hooked up to my Marantz sr6010. I went to my vudu account and found the Atmos demo. When running it, I saw this as an option- "multi-channel + Dolby Digital" When looking at the info screen the input didn't show the atmos front speakers on, but it did in my output.

What does this mean? Am I getting Atmos or not? Nothing labeled "atmos" appeared.
I have a Tivo Roamio Pro connected via HDMI to a Denon 6200 with a 5.1.4 config using Atmos Enabled speakers. Playing any one of the five Atmos demos on Vudu, the 6200 INFO screen reports:

Sound: Dolby Atmos
Signal: Dolby Atmos/Digital +

Input Signal: Dolby Atmos

Active Speakers: FL, C, FR, SL, SR, FDL, FDR, SDL, SDR, SW

I have a green Movie button on my remote. Pressing it reveals different sound options. I set mine for Dolby Atmos/Surround.

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman
post #38686 of 55189 Old 03-04-2016, 10:10 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 5985 Post(s)
Liked: 5114
I thought you were getting a Yamaha, brah?
post #38687 of 55189 Old 03-04-2016, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 4479 Post(s)
Liked: 2532
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
I guess I'll have to get my Front-Wides installed before watching The Force Awakens... at around 28 sec in he talks about pulling the music out of just the front L+R to widen the front sound stage. "Atmos takes it to another level"

Sound of Symphony in Dolby Atmos
The trouble is that Disney won't release it in Atmos until UHD Blu-ray... And they won't be releasing those discs any time soon.
post #38688 of 55189 Old 03-04-2016, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
I have a Tivo Roamio Pro connected via HDMI to a Denon 6200 with a 5.1.4 config using Atmos Enabled speakers. Playing any one of the five Atmos demos on Vudu, the 6200 INFO screen reports:

Sound: Dolby Atmos
Signal: Dolby Atmos/Digital +

Input Signal: Dolby Atmos

Active Speakers: FL, C, FR, SL, SR, FDL, FDR, SDL, SDR, SW

I have a green Movie button on my remote. Pressing it reveals different sound options. I set mine for Dolby Atmos/Surround.
I learned something today. When I go to Netflix on my PC there is no receiver option for Atmos, but if I use the app on my Sony BDP-s5500 it's there. Now I have no idea why one means would have options the other doesn't but at least I know nothing is broken or improperly connected.
post #38689 of 55189 Old 03-04-2016, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 4479 Post(s)
Liked: 2532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Davis View Post
I learned something today. When I go to Netflix on my PC there is no receiver option for Atmos, but if I use the app on my Sony BDP-s5500 it's there. Now I have no idea why one means would have options the other doesn't but at least I know nothing is broken or improperly connected.
The PC app is limited. They don't think their customers have HDR monitors and Dolby Atmos receivers attached to their computers.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #38690 of 55189 Old 03-04-2016, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
The trouble is that Disney won't release it in Atmos until UHD Blu-ray... And they won't be releasing those discs any time soon.
That's a bummer - I just assumed the Blu-ray would be Atmos as well I guess I'll be holding out for the UHD.

Samsung UN75HU8500 TS01 w/SEK-3500U, K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Xbox One; Xfinity X1
Dolby Atmos and DTS:X 7w.1.4; Denon X6200W; Audiosource AMP102; GoldenEar SuperSat 60/60C, SuperSat 50, SuperSat 3/3C, Invisa 525; SVS PB-2000
Harmony Ultimate One; Insteon; Acoustimac
post #38691 of 55189 Old 03-04-2016, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 264 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked: 7789
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1starwars.jpg
Views:	684
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	1293889  

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
post #38692 of 55189 Old 03-04-2016, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post

Barf.
tjenkins95 likes this.
post #38693 of 55189 Old 03-04-2016, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgallagh View Post
Can I ask which re-seller you went through? Website?
And how/when will you know about the customs tax?
I work in MI - about 3.5hrs from Mississauga - and have wondered if somehow driving over the border can get me a better deal. I am trying to make the 1120 happen sometime this year and your post peaked my interest
PM sent
post #38694 of 55189 Old 03-04-2016, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
That does kinda suck, but honestly, I'd imagine that the movie would also sound pretty phenomenal in DSU, would it not? Double dip once it comes out on UHD. Personally, I can wait, but for those who can't or won't I still think it will sound great.
smurraybhm likes this.

Gear: The Brains: Anthem MRX 720. The Brawn: Outlaw 7700. The Fun: Custom PC w/ Logitech 27 & reverse mount pedals, Nintendo Switch, Playstation PS4 Pro. The Visuals: Oppo 203, Darbee Darblet, Optoma HD3300, Panamorph UH480, DIY 138" Curved screen using Semour Centerstage XD AT material. The Audio: 7.1.4: LCR: Tannoy DC12i. Sides: Tannoy IW63DC. Rears: Tannoy DC8i. Ceilings: Tannoy CMS 603/601 DCBM. Subs: 3X Micro Marty and 1X Full Marty.
post #38695 of 55189 Old 03-04-2016, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post
That does kinda suck, but honestly, I'd imagine that the movie would also sound pretty phenomenal in DSU, would it not? Double dip once it comes out on UHD. Personally, I can wait, but for those who can't or won't I still think it will sound great.
Will it sound better with DSU than DD, probably, IMO most everything does, including the first 6, but if what I've just experienced with the Atmos version of "Lucy", it has the distinct possibility of not even coming close, but as always, it will depend on the mix.

And yes, you all read that right, received the Atmos version of "Lucy" in the mail yesterday, WOW did we get screwed in the states. Check out the Lucy BluRay review thread if your interested in where I found it and my thoughts.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
post #38696 of 55189 Old 03-04-2016, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
The Peanuts Movie UHD-BD is Dolby Atmos!
Fox is finally in!

Hm. You'd think people here would be a little more excited about confirmation Fox is finally going to release movies on UHD-BD in Atmos, rather than umpteen more postings about speaker positions and DSU comments.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #38697 of 55189 Old 03-04-2016, 02:43 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 5985 Post(s)
Liked: 5114
Yeah but.... it's friggin' Charlie Brown in Atmos.

lolwtf
post #38698 of 55189 Old 03-04-2016, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Sorry if this is not the right thread to ask this... if there is a better one let me know and I'll head there.

Given a clean slate, which I have, is a 45 degree angle forward and backward from the main listening position optimal for the 4 atmos ceiling speakers? (This appears to be what is suggested by the Dolby diagrams.

What if that position interferes with an ceiling joist? Better to bring the speakers to next nearest gap in the joists or the next furthest... that is, if 45 degrees is not possible, it is better to make the angle greater or less than 45 degrees?
post #38699 of 55189 Old 03-04-2016, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryH View Post
Sorry if this is not the right thread to ask this... if there is a better one let me know and I'll head there.

Given a clean slate, which I have, is a 45 degree angle forward and backward from the main listening position optimal for the 4 atmos ceiling speakers? (This appears to be what is suggested by the Dolby diagrams.

What if that position interferes with an ceiling joist? Better to bring the speakers to next nearest gap in the joists or the next furthest... that is, if 45 degrees is not possible, it is better to make the angle greater or less than 45 degrees?
Personally, unless it's a lot greater, I would say greater, if for no other reason that you're then getting into the "height" zone, and can play with setup options.
But either way, depending on the receiver, you'll be in an "option" zone for tweaking.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
post #38700 of 55189 Old 03-04-2016, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
It's not a long way... just to the other side of the interfering ceiling joist so less than 16 inches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page