The official Dolby Atmos thread (home theater version) - Page 1294 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25085Likes

post #38791 of 55122 Old 03-09-2016, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
watched it last night....outstanding ATMOS in this one
Thanks for That

Theater:JVC RS440, Elite 120". 7.1.4:RTi8, CSi5, FXiA4, RTiA3, 620-RT(4) & SVS PB12-NSD. Denon X4300H, UPA-700, Crown XLS1502 & XLS1000(2). Sony UBP-X800, Panasonic DP-UB424, Shield & ATV 4K. Lounge:Vizio M70-D3, Benq HT1075, & Elite 106". 7.1.4:RTi12, CSi5, RTiA1, TSx110, MC60(4), & RBH I-12. Marantz AV7702, Crown XLS1500, XLS1000(2) & Amp 100v2(2). Samsung UBD-K8500, LG BP440, Shield & ATV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #38792 of 55122 Old 03-09-2016, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked: 3136
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatlesschimp View Post
The openning scene of Spectre with the helicopter was good for panning on my traditional 7.1 with my Yamaha 3050.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Try it with 7.x.4 using DSU - truly immersive
hatlesschimp likes this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #38793 of 55122 Old 03-09-2016, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Ohhh my god! I cant wait!!!!!!!!!! My house should be built by Xmas.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #38794 of 55122 Old 03-09-2016, 08:53 AM
Dyx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So far I have compared Dolby Atmos DSU with DTS:Neural with following results:

AV receiver: Marantz SR7010 I was testing and comparing sound on movies after update to DTS:X:

On any movie material (except native DTS:X and/or native Dolby Atmos) when I compare DSU vs. DTS:Neural the DSU by far beats the Neural, why??

Dynamics and frequency range is audibly far better from DSU compared when I switch to Neural, With Neural immideately the bass sounds get much weaker, sound is more FLAT etc.
To be hones I am pretty disapointed with Neural so far since I can compare to DSU.

I am still not sure if I have to pay for the Auro 3D upgrade as soon it will be available...
post #38795 of 55122 Old 03-09-2016, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Liked: 1111
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
It does since I already have the Denon X5200W and because I didn't get the top of the line 7200, I don't get DTS:X or more importantly HDCP 2.2 which allows for 4k support. I was not about to buy another expensive AVR just for these items so the next best thing was the 646.

The $250 HDFury Integral would have worked around the HDCP 2.2 issue. I'm running 4K just fine utilizing my 5200.

No, no DTS:X, but I'm not sweating over not being able to hear all 3 DTS:X authored discs in their native format at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyx View Post
I am still not sure if I have to pay for the Auro 3D upgrade as soon it will be available...

It's been available for like a year. However, from my understanding, it's pretty much a waste of money unless you are a big music listener. Apparently it does quite well with two channel music.

Last edited by stikle; 03-09-2016 at 10:07 AM.
post #38796 of 55122 Old 03-09-2016, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 4674 Post(s)
Liked: 4859
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyyour View Post
Has anyone seen "In the Heart of the Sea" on Bluray? How was the atmos effect ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
watched it last night....outstanding ATMOS in this one
I saw this movie in the premium Atmos theater in Chicago with fellow AVS'ers sdrucker and Aras_volodka, and the Atmos audio was pretty awesome. They really took advantage of the overhead speaker for effects of water and whales swooshing over you during some of the hunting scenes and the storm effects during the bad weather. One of the better Atmos mixes I've heard in terms of actually using the overhead speakers to immerse you in the environment of the movie. I'm really glad the Atmos track made it to the BD version and can't wait to hear it again.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #38797 of 55122 Old 03-09-2016, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by korkster View Post
I've finally ordered a Marantz 8802a to upgrade my home theater to Dolby Atmos/dts:X, so now that its time to seriously consider where to cut the holes for ceiling speakers, I want to confirm their location. I believe that from the MLP, the TF's should be located the same distance forward as the distance from your ears to the ceiling while seated, correct? And the TR's would be the same distance from the MLP, but in the other direction (towards the back of the room)? I've got two rows of seating, but I'm giving up on trying to make it work well for both seating locations as 90% of the time, I'm in the theater by myself, sitting in the MLP.

What about side to side? According to the Dolby diagram, it looks like they are supposed to line up directly with the FL and FR speakers away from the side walls. Is that correct? I have 6" deep soffits around the perimeter of the room that are about 2' wide. If I follow this direction, it places the ceiling speakers right up against the edge of the soffit. Is that a problem?

Boy, I have a lot of questions.

You are correct on all counts. I ended up bringing my ceiling speakers a few inches inward of the mains also due to a soffit on one side. However they are still wide enough to cover the couch, my main listening position. As long as your ceiling speakers have wide dispersion m you should be OK.
korkster likes this.
post #38798 of 55122 Old 03-09-2016, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Question for you Atmos gurus.

I'm in the process of turning my living room 3.1 system to a 5.1.X system. I'll be purchasing either the Denon X4200 or Yamaha 2050.

Eventually I'll probably go to a .4 setup but initially I'm thinking about sticking w a .2. Going from a 3.1 to a 5.1.2 is going to be significant as it is.

The Atmos guidelines show to do a TM when going 5.1.2. Of course it'll be easier to add TR speakers if I can do the initial .2 with a TF placement.

Will this compromise the "bubble" too much? Should I stick with the Top Middle placement guidelines and if I go to .4 reposition the TM speakers as TF (of course it'll be easier to only have to install the TR vs. installing those and reinstalling the TM to TF).
post #38799 of 55122 Old 03-09-2016, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked: 3136
Quote:
Originally Posted by stikle View Post
It's been available for like a year. However, from my understanding, it's pretty much a waste of money unless you are a big music listener. Apparently it does quite well with two channel music.
Try using the center spread setting with 2 channel when selecting DSU. The music advantage of Auro disappears. After reading a few other comments by members who had discovered or utilized this setting I gave it a try and take back my comments about DSU and music. Also remember that FilmMixer actually preferred DSU for 2 channel, I don't know if he was using center spread or not. Buying an Auro upgrade at this point would be foolish IMO, I suspect it will be disappearing from the D&M product line soon as no other manufacturer ex the uber expensive processors have offered it. Besides the money not spent for the upgrade can go towards the purchase of an HD Fury. I've got mine ready to go when I need it.
stikle and pasender91 like this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #38800 of 55122 Old 03-09-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutdotnet View Post
Question for you Atmos gurus.

I'm in the process of turning my living room 3.1 system to a 5.1.X system. I'll be purchasing either the Denon X4200 or Yamaha 2050.

Eventually I'll probably go to a .4 setup but initially I'm thinking about sticking w a .2. Going from a 3.1 to a 5.1.2 is going to be significant as it is.

The Atmos guidelines show to do a TM when going 5.1.2. Of course it'll be easier to add TR speakers if I can do the initial .2 with a TF placement.

Will this compromise the "bubble" too much? Should I stick with the Top Middle placement guidelines and if I go to .4 reposition the TM speakers as TF (of course it'll be easier to only have to install the TR vs. installing those and reinstalling the TM to TF).
If the eventual goal is to do a .4 setup then place the first two speakers in a TF position, even if you call them TM. You'll get the sense of sound above you and the frontal hemisphere is more important anyway.

That's assuming it's not a huge PITA to move the speakers. If it isn't then you can experiment more.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #38801 of 55122 Old 03-09-2016, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 317
I ordered both the Samsung K8500 and the HD Fury to be sure that I would get a picture and Atmos (if the movie soundtrack were Atmos...). I really don’t know what I was thinking. My projector is a Sony VPL-VW50 which is 1080i. I think that I got it into my head that upscaling to at least 2160 by the Samsung and HDCP 2.2 magic provided by the HD Fury would ensure that I got the best possible picture.

Here is the reality...1080i is just that...1080i. The advanced processing capabilities of an UHD player might provide a better color palette, but that is it. And, as a result of my experience, I believe that even causes a problem.

So, I am returning the Samsung K8500.

And, I will offer the HD Fury for $225 including shipping (I paid $250 two weeks ago and it will cost me about $30 to ship it back). I will even thrown in the UHD of The Martian and a Kabeldirect 4K 6’ cable.

PM me if you are interested.

More later...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...-profiles.html

Atmos Dolby 7.2.4; Epson 6040UB; Panasonic UB820; TiVo Roamio; Roku Stick+

post #38802 of 55122 Old 03-09-2016, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
If the eventual goal is to do a .4 setup then place the first two speakers in a TF position, even if you call them TM. You'll get the sense of sound above you and the frontal hemisphere is more important anyway.

That's assuming it's not a huge PITA to move the speakers. If it isn't then you can experiment more.
Thanks Mr. Pig.

Not a huge PITA but something I'd rather avoid.
post #38803 of 55122 Old 03-09-2016, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

This is my "More later..."

I got the Samsung K8500 and the HD Fury and hooked up both my current bluray player, Sony BDP-S7200 and the Samsung to the Onkyo TX-NR1030. The Sony was in a standard HDMI input and the Samsung was in the HDMI Input 3, which is 2.2. capable.
The Onkyo HDMI Main Out then went to the Fury HD Fury. The HD Fury passed both signals to the projector without any drama. I have The Martian in bluray and had bought it in UHD. So, I teed both of them up and ran to a few scenes that I thought might tell me something.
After doing that briefly, it dawned on me that the Onkyo was probably applying processing of its on to the different HDMI inputs, so I disconnected both the bluray and the UHD. Then, I hooked up the bluray to the HD Fury HDCP 1.4 input and the Samsung to the HDCP 2.2 input. Then, went back and looked at scenes without sound so that there was no distraction.
I was accompanied in this experiment by a friend who was very interested in the Samsung as well just so someone else was either seeing or not seeing what I saw.
My original intent was driven by information on the forum on a couple of issues. The first is that some studios will likely provide Atmos on the UHD disks only and leave the bluray at whatever native sound format was used in the theaters. And, secondly, that studios may manipulate the UHD disks such that some would not play at all on systems that were not pure HDCP 2.2 from start to finish.
I want(ed) my Atmos!
Well, then reality sets in. Running the two players side by side showed me several things. The Samsung K8500 on my system exhibits a black crush and distinct red push regardless of how I manipulated the projector settings.
I found that I consistently preferred the picture from the Sony with the bluray disk over the UHD disk in the Samsung. In the pictures that I am attaching, in each series, it is bluray disk on Sony on the left, then UHD disk on Samsung in the middle, then bluray disk on Samsung on the right.
I will offer this observation—part of the issue with the images are not the fault of the Samsung, but the mastering of the UHD disk itself. The reason that I say this is that if you compare the leftmost image (bluray on Sony) with the rightmost image (bluray on Samsung), either is preferable to the middle image (UHD disk on Samsung). Arguably, the bluray disk on the Samsung may be preferable to the bluray on the Sony for some...maybe.
And, a guess...that black crush that I observe might be due to the expanded color space of the Samsung trying to get crammed into the color space of the Sony resulting in loss of something. But, it is a guess only. The red push, I have no clue.
Bottom line—while I want my Atmos, I am not willing to sacrifice my picture to get it. The DSU of Atmos does such an excellent job that I can live with it.
So, I am returning the Samsung to BB. And, I am either selling the HD Fury Integral here (see in other post) or returning it to Legendsky for a refund.
The HD Fury seems to function flawlessly. However, it is basically for people who have purchased an HD/4K/whatever high def TV set or projector that is NOT HDCP 2.2 compliant. Otherwise, I am not sure how much benefit you will derive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BD on BD vs UHD on UHD vs BD on UHD 3.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	1304057   Click image for larger version

Name:	BD on BD vs UHD on UHD vs BD on UHD 5.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	1304065   Click image for larger version

Name:	BD on BD vs UHD on UHD vs BD on UHD.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	1304073   Click image for larger version

Name:	BD on BD vs UHD on UHD vs BD on UHD 2.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	1304081   Click image for larger version

Name:	BD on BD vs UHD on UHD vs BD on UHD 4.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	1304089  

Click image for larger version

Name:	BD on BD vs UHD on UHD vs BD on UHD 6.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	1304097  

Last edited by dvdwilly3; 03-09-2016 at 04:10 PM.
post #38804 of 55122 Old 03-09-2016, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
PM sent
Hey Nick, any chance you can PM me the canadian reps contact info as well? Have been searching for details the last two evenings and am not coming up with anything.
post #38805 of 55122 Old 03-11-2016, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1776 Post(s)
Liked: 1247
To dvdwilly3 -

Just to make sure I understand your posts - - is your setup (TV wise) a projector, 1080i? No 4K TV that you used with the Samsung K8500 & a UHD disc? (HD Fury, as well).

From the picture you painted, it sounds like you tried to get the Dolby Atmos soundtrack with a non 4K TV (or projector) with a UHD disc via the Samsung K8500 & the HD Fury. And, the video problems were not worth it. If that's the case, then I see no reason to pick up a UHD Bluray Player since I do not have a 4K TV and also use a projector.

I do not know if this has been confirmed with other users but if it has been, then that means the HD Fury is not the solution for non 4K TV's in trying to get their Dolby Atmos fix via a UHD disc (especially if the regular Bluray does NOT have the Atmos soundtrack.)

Not encouraging. If I'm interpreting this wrong, please let me know.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #38806 of 55122 Old 03-11-2016, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 220
I posted this in the KEF Owners thread but thought I may get some answers based on those currently running this.

I have 5 KEF Ci200QL in my 5.2 channel setup that I love. My plan was to add 4 CI200QR for the ceiling but I've been told it's overkill. My dedicated theater room is 8 foot drop ceiling, 15 foot long 16 foot wide.

Originally I planned for 4 Ci200QR. 8 inch driver Freq. response 35Hz - 34kHz
KEF has introduced the ER series, the Ci160ER. 6.5 inch Freq. response 52Hz-20kHz. Also, there's the Ci200ER 8 inch driver Freq. response 45Hz - 20kHz. The ER series is half the price.

Will it matter running Q series and E since E would be for heights only concerning sound signature, I guess meaning will they match? What should I do? I have no issues spending double if it makes sense but the height are strictly for Atmos/DTSX. Thank you!!!
post #38807 of 55122 Old 03-11-2016, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked: 815
If I'm not mistaken, most of us who run larger more capable Heights/Tops really think they add to the immersion and create less of a chance for the sound to be off and distracting instead of feeling natural, overhead sound (not Atmos enabled) are still full range.
My best advise would be to find what closely matches the rest of your surrounds, and go at least that big/full.
Personally, I'd go for the Q's because the rest of your system that you already love, plus you go for them, you'll never wonder "should I have".

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
post #38808 of 55122 Old 03-11-2016, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
If I'm not mistaken, most of us who run larger more capable Heights/Tops really think they add to the immersion and create less of a chance for the sound to be off and distracting instead of feeling natural, overhead sound (not Atmos enabled) are still full range.
My best advise would be to find what closely matches the rest of your surrounds, and go at least that big/full.
Personally, I'd go for the Q's because the rest of your system that you already love, plus you go for them, you'll never wonder "should I have".
Historically I wouldn't have even considered this but KEF claims the Ci are timber matched across the entire series.
I haven't had a chance to hear Atmos in an awesome setting so I wasn't sure how aggressive the heights are. Sounds like they are aggressive enough to cause concern regardless of KEF's claims?
post #38809 of 55122 Old 03-11-2016, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Honestly, this is going to fall in line with the idea of matching your surrounds with your mains, do you have to...no, would it sound better... most likely.

The whole idea is unfortunately very personal, if "you" don't notice a difference or don't get distracted by a sound not matching exactly, then by all means, save the money and don't worry about it. But if you're the person who does notice small details like that, then your best off doing it right in the first place.

And yes, early on, the guidelines say that you don't "need" as capable of a speaker, and they are just for ambiance and occasional sound, but as soundtracks get better and more of us do actual listening experiments in our rooms, we're finding that overhead and heights are just as important as your regular surrounds when it comes to the overall experience.

At least that's what I've found.
TheBrandon and Scarriere like this.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html

Last edited by ALtlOff; 03-11-2016 at 05:54 PM.
post #38810 of 55122 Old 03-11-2016, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
Honestly, this is going to fall in line with the idea of matching your surrounds with your mains, do you have to...no, would it sound better... most likely.

The whole idea is unfortunately very personal, if "you" don't notice a difference or don't get distracted by a sound not matching exactly, then by all means, save the money and don't worry about it. But if you're the person who does notice small details like that, then your best off doing it right in the first place.

And yes, early on, the guidelines say that you don't "need" as capable of a speaker, and they are just for ambiance and occasional sound, but as soundtracks get better and more of is do actual listening experiments in our rooms, we're finding that overhead and heights are just as important as your regular surrounds when it comes to the overall experience.

At least that's what I've found.

Better safe than sorry. 👍.
post #38811 of 55122 Old 03-12-2016, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Hi all. I got the clearance from the wife to pursue a 5.1.2 or 5.1.4 setup with in ceiling speakers. Before I can land on either 5.1.2 or 5.1.4, I was hoping to get some advice on if my proposed 5.1.4 configuration would work. If anyone of you have a couple minutes to check out my original post, it would be greatly appreciated!
post #38812 of 55122 Old 03-12-2016, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
To dvdwilly3 -

Just to make sure I understand your posts - - is your setup (TV wise) a projector, 1080i? No 4K TV that you used with the Samsung K8500 & a UHD disc? (HD Fury, as well).

From the picture you painted, it sounds like you tried to get the Dolby Atmos soundtrack with a non 4K TV (or projector) with a UHD disc via the Samsung K8500 & the HD Fury. And, the video problems were not worth it. If that's the case, then I see no reason to pick up a UHD Bluray Player since I do not have a 4K TV and also use a projector.

I do not know if this has been confirmed with other users but if it has been, then that means the HD Fury is not the solution for non 4K TV's in trying to get their Dolby Atmos fix via a UHD disc (especially if the regular Bluray does NOT have the Atmos soundtrack.)

Tried to post this numerous times last night and repeatedly got "Token has expired...yada, yada, yada...". I finally just gave up.

My projector is a Sony VPL-VW50, a 1080i projector. It puts up a very good PQ.
I used the HD Fury with a Samsung UHD player with a UHD disk with that projector.
I did NOT attempt to use that combination with a 4K display of any kind.
I would expect the results to be markedly different.

I wanted the HD Fury, UHD player, UHD disk combination to ensure that I could get an Atmos soundtrack for upcoming releases. And, that combination would ensure that I could accomplish that.

However, using that combination with a 1080i projector yielded (to me) less than acceptable images. For that reason, I choose to forgo UHD disks altogether so that I will still have (to me) a better picture.
Others may look at my examples and find that the image resulting from the UHD disk on the UHD player is acceptable.
I do not find it acceptable. It is my choice.

I disagree with the previous statement. The HD Fury is the only solution to ensure that you can get an Atmos soundtrack combined with a non-4K (specifically non-HDCP 2.2 compliant) display. Otherwise, you may not be able to get any image at all (variable studio by studio).

I could not find a way to get an acceptable image from this approach. Others may.

post #38813 of 55122 Old 03-12-2016, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdwilly3 View Post
I could not find a way to get an acceptable image from this approach. Others may.
From what I read in the Samsung K8500 thread it has a ton of configuration options. So I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss its image quality... without working through them. Especially something like video levels should be able to be configured to match the rest of the chain. Also looking at the HD Fury thread it has almost as many or more itself...

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K Monitor |
post #38814 of 55122 Old 03-12-2016, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
From what I read in the Samsung K8500 thread it has a ton of configuration options. So I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss its image quality... without working through them. Especially something like video levels should be able to be configured to match the rest of the chain. Also looking at the HD Fury thread it has almost as many or more itself...
I know that the K8500 has many configuration opyions...however, Most are not relevant to the video when you are dealing with a limited display, for example, a 1080i display.

You can set the Format to match your format, in this case, 1080i. That is not relevant here. If I had it set the Samsung to 2160, I would not have gotten a picture at all. The Samsung is very capable, but it cannot split pixels on the display that it is feeding signal to.

You can also set the Samsung to output HDR or not depending upon whether you have a HDR capable display. Again, my display is NOT HDR capable so that setting is irrelevant.

The principal limitation that we are talking about is my display, not the Samsung. But, for the Sony VPL-VW50 projector, the Samsung cannot make it better...simple physics. And, I do think that the extended color space of the Samsung exceeds that of the Sony projector, and that results in what I described as "black crush".

What I want to convey are two things...

First, the HD Fury, Samsung UHD player, and UHD disk combination are the only solution for ensuring that you can get an Atmos soundtrack from UHD when you are using a display that is NOT HDCP 2.2 compliant.

Second, IF you choose this path, it will not necessarily result in an improved image. And, one reason outside of the Samsung or the HD Fury, is the authoring of the UHD disk itself. But, it will give you the Atmos soundtrack (IF the UHD disk, in fact, has the Atmos soundtrack).

Each person has to make that decision themselves. I simply do not want people to have unrealistic expectations...
Ricoflashback likes this.

post #38815 of 55122 Old 03-12-2016, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
What I want to convey are two things...

First, the HD Fury, Samsung UHD player, and UHD disk combination are the only solution for ensuring that you can get an Atmos soundtrack from UHD when you are using a display that is NOT HDCP 2.2 compliant.
Disappointing to hear about the picture quality of UHD playback via the Samsung on your 1080 setup. However I want to point out two things:

1) The HD Fury is not critical to this setup. So far none of the UHD content produced requires this workaround - the Samsung player will output 1080i just fine, and I don't believe any studios will produce discs that will be broken on 1080 displays.

2) There is one good reason to invest in a UHD player even if you have a 1080 display, which is to start building a library of UHD movies now, against the day the you upgrade to a UHD display or projector. This is now my plan - I have a fantastic 1080p plasma TV and am willing to wait a couple of years to upgrade to UHD when my options are better/cheaper - but I'm not going to buy any more movies on Blu Ray, I'll pick them up on UHD with all the advantages that offers (Atmos, HDR, more pixels, etc)

Did you try running the Samsung straight to your projector without the HD Fury in line? It probably won't change anything, but it would be interesting to see how a Blu Ray disc compares to the same content on a UHD disc through the Samsung by itself.
post #38816 of 55122 Old 03-12-2016, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschulz View Post
Disappointing to hear about the picture quality of UHD playback via the Samsung on your 1080 setup. However I want to point out two things:

1) The HD Fury is not critical to this setup. So far none of the UHD content produced requires this workaround - the Samsung player will output 1080i just fine, and I don't believe any studios will produce discs that will be broken on 1080 displays.

2) There is one good reason to invest in a UHD player even if you have a 1080 display, which is to start building a library of UHD movies now, against the day the you upgrade to a UHD display or projector. This is now my plan - I have a fantastic 1080p plasma TV and am willing to wait a couple of years to upgrade to UHD when my options are better/cheaper - but I'm not going to buy any more movies on Blu Ray, I'll pick them up on UHD with all the advantages that offers (Atmos, HDR, more pixels, etc)

Did you try running the Samsung straight to your projector without the HD Fury in line? It probably won't change anything, but it would be interesting to see how a Blu Ray disc compares to the same content on a UHD disc through the Samsung by itself.
Re the last para...

Yes, I did run both the Bluray and the Samsung directly to the projector...no change...

And, if you go back and look at the pictures, the image on the right is the bluray disk on the Samsung...

As I said before, some may actually prefer that image. There is still some increase in black, but most of the red push has gone.

I was most taken aback with the UHD disk itself. But, after reading a bit about HDR, it seems that HDR is not necessarilly HDR. That is, implementation at the source may differ, and, in particular, implementation at the display itself will differ.

There seem to be two distinctly different approaches, one which works better at the white end and the other which works better at the black end (to put it simply...). At this point, there does not seem to be an approach that covers the entire spectrum...

http://www.lightillusion.com/uhdtv.html

Last edited by dvdwilly3; 03-12-2016 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Omitted URL...
post #38817 of 55122 Old 03-12-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrandon View Post
I posted this in the KEF Owners thread but thought I may get some answers based on those currently running this.

I have 5 KEF Ci200QL in my 5.2 channel setup that I love. My plan was to add 4 CI200QR for the ceiling but I've been told it's overkill. My dedicated theater room is 8 foot drop ceiling, 15 foot long 16 foot wide.

Originally I planned for 4 Ci200QR. 8 inch driver Freq. response 35Hz - 34kHz
KEF has introduced the ER series, the Ci160ER. 6.5 inch Freq. response 52Hz-20kHz. Also, there's the Ci200ER 8 inch driver Freq. response 45Hz - 20kHz. The ER series is half the price.

Will it matter running Q series and E since E would be for heights only concerning sound signature, I guess meaning will they match? What should I do? I have no issues spending double if it makes sense but the height are strictly for Atmos/DTSX. Thank you!!!
It seems like this isn't a binary choice though. If you're happy with the Q series but thing the 200's are too big with their 8" woofer, there is also the 160QR which is the 6.5" woofer version. Barely more expensive than the E (looks like $400/pr instead of $300/pr). That saves you some money vs the 200's and keeps you in the same family with the larger Uni-Q tweeter and waveguide. The Q version is a bit beefier, more power handling etc.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #38818 of 55122 Old 03-13-2016, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
It seems like this isn't a binary choice though. If you're happy with the Q series but thing the 200's are too big with their 8" woofer, there is also the 160QR which is the 6.5" woofer version. Barely more expensive than the E (looks like $400/pr instead of $300/pr). That saves you some money vs the 200's and keeps you in the same family with the larger Uni-Q tweeter and waveguide. The Q version is a bit beefier, more power handling etc.
Again, KEF's claim of timbre match across the entire line is what spurred this. If heights are not utilized like fronts for example in terms of range, and activity, then why go as big? This is also why I shared the freq. response as I'm not really sure what Atmos suggest. Additionally, the QR series is per speaker, not a pair. I will grab the QR because the last thing you mentioned.
post #38819 of 55122 Old 03-13-2016, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:

My projector is a Sony VPL-VW50, a 1080i projector. It puts up a very good PQ.

The VPL-VW50 is also a 1080p/60 and 1080p/24 projector. I have this same projector.

Nabs17
post #38820 of 55122 Old 03-13-2016, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1596 Post(s)
Liked: 969
I have my eye on Sony's new STR ZA5000ES receiver. It's Sony's flagship Atmos/DTSX receiver. This will be a major upgrade coming from Sony's 1040 AVR which I really like. I do want to consider another option any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page