The official Dolby Atmos thread (home theater version) - Page 1304 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24758Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #39091 of 54724 Old 03-29-2016, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ALtlOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Louis Mo "ish"
Posts: 3,349
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank714 View Post
Chicago remastered in Dolby Atmos, but currently only available as an import from Japan.
I'll have to find that, why not, ordered I'm my Hong Kong version of "Lucy" and I already owned the regular copy of it, I don't have "Chicago" at all.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
ALtlOff is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #39092 of 54724 Old 03-29-2016, 07:17 PM
Member
 
the3dwizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post
Greeting:

Have a Atmos receiver and some Atmos Blu Ray movies, just wondering what the forum thinks what are the top 3 Atmos movies that are currently out as of now.
I have some but have not gotten around to watching them all. San Andreas, it was fun hearing all the stuff fall around you during the earthquakes, (oops, spoiler alert LOL)
the3dwizard is offline  
post #39093 of 54724 Old 03-29-2016, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
asarose247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DIY enabled in SoCal / OC
Posts: 4,238
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1177 Post(s)
Liked: 1041
^

what he said

and @Defcon : And ceiling speakers won't be an option for the vast majority, even in the extreme enthusiast AVS crowd.

this may qualify as "extreme" Scatmos .6 set up in about a 7 ft square with 36 ft^2 of 5 1/2" broadband clouds. . .
immersive

total cost about $1K, not counting older AVR's just sitting around

would never trade even the .4 for FW or FH, even tho the AVR can do the FW's i have hooked up, (because they were there)

the on ceiling overheads rule . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scatmos complete.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	1347402  

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
asarose247 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #39094 of 54724 Old 03-29-2016, 10:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Cyberathlete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Man that's bad news. Seems like the investment in Denon X5200 is now ok at best. Since companies are moving away from Atmos on Blu-Ray and keeping it on the UHD format, that really makes the investment almost irrelevant. So even if I do end up getting a UHD player, 1) My projector doesn't do 4k, so not sure if that is an issue for comatiblilty 2) I have to run a second HDMI cable from the projector to the blu-ray player. sigh.


And here I was about to ask which upcoming blu-rays support Atmos and how many titles we can anticipate this year, and next.

[Home Theater] LINK
[Music Room] Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 40 Floorstanders | Receiver: Peachtree Audio Nova220SE
Cyberathlete is offline  
post #39095 of 54724 Old 03-30-2016, 04:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
dvdwilly3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Haymarket, VA (metro DC)
Posts: 768
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberathlete View Post
Man that's bad news. Seems like the investment in Denon X5200 is now ok at best. Since companies are moving away from Atmos on Blu-Ray and keeping it on the UHD format, that really makes the investment almost irrelevant. So even if I do end up getting a UHD player, 1) My projector doesn't do 4k, so not sure if that is an issue for comatiblilty 2) I have to run a second HDMI cable from the projector to the blu-ray player. sigh.


And here I was about to ask which upcoming blu-rays support Atmos and how many titles we can anticipate this year, and next.
I am in a similar position as you. I have a Sony VPL-VW50 which is 1080p. I have a 7.1.4 setup and I do not regret it in the least. DSU is so effective that it makes even non-Atmos movies better, for me, significantly so.

I even tried UHD with the Samsung K8500. I returned it for several reasons. It gave a very detailed image, but a higher contrast level that I could not get corrected and a distinct red push. It was due in part to the player, and in part due to the UHD disk itself.

So, I am willing to live happily with the limitations of what I have. It is worlds better than the 5.1 that I started with. I went thru 5.1.2; then 5.1.4; then 7.1.2; and quickly to 7.1.4.

I am still an Atmos fan!

And, my TF and TR speakers are on ceiling, not in ceiling...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...-profiles.html

Atmos Dolby 7.2.4; Epson 6040UB; Panasonic UB820; TiVo Roamio; Roku Stick+

dvdwilly3 is offline  
post #39096 of 54724 Old 03-30-2016, 05:17 AM
Senior Member
 
prerich's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 304
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
That's not the reason. Dolby Atmos and DTS: X are being looked at as another premium feature hook, an enticement to get people to upgrade.
I agree with you here, however - by packaging Atmos with UHD (and some only doing it with UHD), puts that upgrade pressure on consumers. You'd need a new receiver, a UHD BD player and a 4K TV or projector, that are all HDCP 2.2 compatible.

HDCP 2.2 also helps keep the "rippers" at bay. Industry is now designed to keep a person dependent on the supplier. Apple locks a person in, Microsoft seems to want to get rid of the independent builder, etc....

If you can keep a consumer locked in - you guarantee a continued money stream.
prerich is offline  
post #39097 of 54724 Old 03-30-2016, 06:24 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Anyone know if Netflix sends out downgraded Blu-rays?

Rented Mockingjay part 2 Blu-ray from Netlix and it was only in straight Dolby 5.1 and not Dolby Atmos? My understanding was that the blu-ray only came in Dolby 7.1 as well as Dolby Atmos and didn't know there was a crap version. Anyone know if Netflix gets different copies than the standard consumer Blu ray release?

Last edited by Dbruce13; 03-30-2016 at 06:29 AM.
Dbruce13 is offline  
post #39098 of 54724 Old 03-30-2016, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AllenA07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,637
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
I agree with you here, however - by packaging Atmos with UHD (and some only doing it with UHD), puts that upgrade pressure on consumers. You'd need a new receiver, a UHD BD player and a 4K TV or projector, that are all HDCP 2.2 compatible.

HDCP 2.2 also helps keep the "rippers" at bay. Industry is now designed to keep a person dependent on the supplier. Apple locks a person in, Microsoft seems to want to get rid of the independent builder, etc....

If you can keep a consumer locked in - you guarantee a continued money stream.
Connecting UHD to Atmos isn't going to help Atmos with gaining a mass audience. I would be curious to know how many people who are on this site (even in this thread) are completely setup to the point where they can watch a UHD right now? I'm close, but as of this moment I can't raise my hand. Limiting Atmos to only UHD is going to take a technology that I think was going to have a hard time as is getting mass adoption and further narrow the group that can actually benefit from it.
stef2 and pasender91 like this.

My Theater: The Ugly Theater
AllenA07 is offline  
post #39099 of 54724 Old 03-30-2016, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AllenA07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,637
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbruce13 View Post
Rented Mockingjay part 2 Blu-ray from Netlix and it was only in straight Dolby 5.1 and not Dolby Atmos? My understanding was that the blu-ray only came in Dolby 7.1 as well as Dolby Atmos and didn't know there was a crap version. Anyone know if Netflix gets different copies than the standard consumer Blu ray release?
Lionsgate doesn't send lossless versions of movies to Redbox. Recently I've noticed that Universal no longer is even sending Blu-Rays to Redbox.

My Theater: The Ugly Theater
AllenA07 is offline  
post #39100 of 54724 Old 03-30-2016, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 14,265
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4412 Post(s)
Liked: 2478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbruce13 View Post
Rented Mockingjay part 2 Blu-ray from Netlix and it was only in straight Dolby 5.1 and not Dolby Atmos? My understanding was that the blu-ray only came in Dolby 7.1 as well as Dolby Atmos and didn't know there was a crap version. Anyone know if Netflix gets different copies than the standard consumer Blu ray release?
Lionsgate dumbs their rental copies down.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #39101 of 54724 Old 03-30-2016, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
deano86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,378
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbruce13 View Post
Rented Mockingjay part 2 Blu-ray from Netlix and it was only in straight Dolby 5.1 and not Dolby Atmos? My understanding was that the blu-ray only came with Dolby Atmos and didn't no there was a crap version. Anyone know if Netflix gets different copies than the standard consumer Blu ray release?
It is not a Netflix or Redbox issue, it a decision by Lionsgate to purposely only provide "watered down" copies of their movies to rental outlets... which includes taking away the lossless audio tracks... really a crap move on their part, but probably effective for us home theater buffs that will want the best soundtrack unfortunately...
deano86 is offline  
post #39102 of 54724 Old 03-30-2016, 06:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
It is not a Netflix or Redbox issue, it a decision by Lionsgate to purposely only provide "watered down" copies of their movies to rental outlets... which includes taking away the lossless audio tracks... really a crap move on their part, but probably effective for us home theater buffs that will want the best soundtrack unfortunately...
That is ridiculous...but gives me a little comfort knowing something wasn't wrong with my new system. The whole switching your output from PCM to bitstream for Dolby Atmos kinda drives me nuts especially when going back and forth between DTS-X titles and Atmos titles. Would be nice if the AVR's could just process any audio input format.
Dbruce13 is offline  
post #39103 of 54724 Old 03-30-2016, 06:50 AM
Senior Member
 
prerich's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 304
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post
Connecting UHD to Atmos isn't going to help Atmos with gaining a mass audience. I would be curious to know how many people who are on this site (even in this thread) are completely setup to the point where they can watch a UHD right now? I'm close, but as of this moment I can't raise my hand. Limiting Atmos to only UHD is going to take a technology that I think was going to have a hard time as is getting mass adoption and further narrow the group that can actually benefit from it.
Once again...I agree...here's part 2 of the conspiracy theory that I have:

As UHD and Atmos are linked (with all the constraints tied to it) - it would make it a niche product. However that's just the bait......

Here's the switch....Do you know that Atmos can be carried on a Dolby Digital Plus signal as well? Who does that bode well for....Studios and streaming. Getting back to making the consumer dependent on the suppliers content.

I may be wrong - but I believe Atmos going to be used as a tool to dumb down audio bitrate, but offer the immersive/object base sound as a trade off. Many people will go for that trade (I for one - I don't like it).

Mass adoption will come from streaming (and I'm a BD fan)! That's what the studios want, pay per play. That's what they wanted with Divx, and several other things. This may be the tool used to get mass adoption of streaming!! Just a conspiracy theory that's all
prerich is offline  
post #39104 of 54724 Old 03-30-2016, 06:53 AM
Senior Member
 
prerich's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 304
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbruce13 View Post
Rented Mockingjay part 2 Blu-ray from Netlix and it was only in straight Dolby 5.1 and not Dolby Atmos? My understanding was that the blu-ray only came in Dolby 7.1 as well as Dolby Atmos and didn't know there was a crap version. Anyone know if Netflix gets different copies than the standard consumer Blu ray release?
Yep, all Netflix BDs from Lionsgate are dumbed down. I remember renting the Expendables and wondered why I couldn't get 7.1 DTS-HD Master audio. Discovered that they have dumbed down all of their BD's to only do lossy audio.
prerich is offline  
post #39105 of 54724 Old 03-30-2016, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Defcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,895
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
Once again...I agree...here's part 2 of the conspiracy theory that I have:

As UHD and Atmos are linked (with all the constraints tied to it) - it would make it a niche product. However that's just the bait......

Here's the switch....Do you know that Atmos can be carried on a Dolby Digital Plus signal as well? Who does that bode well for....Studios and streaming. Getting back to making the consumer dependent on the suppliers content.

I may be wrong - but I believe Atmos going to be used as a tool to dumb down audio bitrate, but offer the immersive/object base sound as a trade off. Many people will go for that trade (I for one - I don't like it).

Mass adoption will come from streaming (and I'm a BD fan)! That's what the studios want, pay per play. That's what they wanted with Divx, and several other things. This may be the tool used to get mass adoption of streaming!! Just a conspiracy theory that's all
This only works if Atmos sounds significantly better and if people have the extra speakers to take advantage of it.
Defcon is offline  
post #39106 of 54724 Old 03-30-2016, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
dschulz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 962
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post

Mass adoption will come from streaming (and I'm a BD fan)! That's what the studios want, pay per play. That's what they wanted with Divx, and several other things. This may be the tool used to get mass adoption of streaming!! Just a conspiracy theory that's all
I don't think there needs to be any conspiracy to drive mass adoption of streaming - that's already happened, driven by consumer desires. Just take a look at where the physical media retail/rental business is compared to a few short years ago.

Given that more and more people are watching content via streaming, I think the fact that Atmos can be delivered on Dolby Digital Plus is Dolby's ace in the hole over their competitors.
dschulz is offline  
post #39107 of 54724 Old 03-30-2016, 08:40 AM
Senior Member
 
prerich's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 304
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
This only works if Atmos sounds significantly better and if people have the extra speakers to take advantage of it.
Correct again.
prerich is offline  
post #39108 of 54724 Old 03-30-2016, 08:50 AM
Senior Member
 
prerich's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 304
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschulz View Post
I don't think there needs to be any conspiracy to drive mass adoption of streaming - that's already happened, driven by consumer desires. Just take a look at where the physical media retail/rental business is compared to a few short years ago.

Given that more and more people are watching content via streaming, I think the fact that Atmos can be delivered on Dolby Digital Plus is Dolby's ace in the hole over their competitors.
True, but many enthusiast have avoided streaming like the plague for the very same reason. Dolby Digital + is a step down from where we are currently at. What I see as part of the scheme is for UHD W/Atmos to be a niche format and possibly the final physical format - streaming w/DD+ and imbedded Atmos (because the objects take up little space) to become the new default format.

This will do several things

1. Enthusiast will buy the required gear....all of it.

2. Masses will be greatful and buy the bare minimum (but they will sell a lot of it).

3. Streaming will become so strong that studios will claim that they see no profit in making physical media anymore.

4. This will force enthusiast back to the Theater if they don't want to watch a streamed and audio dumbed down version.

5. It becomes a win/win for the studios - they will control all content. Stream it, or go to the theater to see and hear the real deal.

Remember these are all just theories - it is striking up good conversation though (I could be totally wrong).
prerich is offline  
post #39109 of 54724 Old 03-30-2016, 09:19 AM
Member
 
dannycruz23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
i have the marantz sr7010 , already i have it set up as 7.1.2, i need to add another set of dolby atmos speakers, i see that in here some advice to get the audio source amp100 pa, (that a 50 watts per channel) to use it to add that extra pair of dolby. how many watts i need for the dolby atmos? the marantz push 125 watts at 2 channel driven, so i don't know how much it push for the dolby atmos. when i call marantz they told me to get the pa with most watts the better. but i don't want to have one set with more power than the other set. what should i buy? i have seen russound with a 90 watts per channel pa, and now i see an onkyo with a 75 watts per channel (on amazon) which one you think will work better with the marantz 7010? i have seen also the audiosource pa that here they recommend a lot. (i am on a budget so i need one that not be so expensive due is only for dolby atmos speakers) the dolby atmos speakers are 100 watts at 8 ohms.

Last edited by dannycruz23; 03-30-2016 at 09:26 AM.
dannycruz23 is offline  
post #39110 of 54724 Old 03-30-2016, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,034
Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3062 Post(s)
Liked: 7363
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannycruz23 View Post
i have the marantz sr7010 , already i have it set up as 7.1.2, i need to add another set of dolby atmos speakers, i see that in here some advice to get the audio source amp100 pa, (that a 50 watts per channel) to use it to add that extra pair of dolby. how many watts i need for the dolby atmos? the marantz push 125 watts at 2 channel driven, so i don't know how much it push for the dolby atmos. when i call marantz they told me to get the pa with most watts the better. but i don't want to have one set with more power than the other set. what should i buy? i have seen russound with a 90 watts per chanel pa, and now i see an onkyo with a 75 watts per channel (on amazon) which one you think will work better with the marantz 7010? i have seen also the audiosource pa that here they recommend a lot. (i am on a budget so i need one that not beso expensive due is only for dolby atmos speakers)
I don't suppose you have an older Marantz AVR sitting around with multi-channel inputs?
Doesnt need to be Atmos or even HDMI, just needs analogue inputs

I had an older spare Yamaha AVR that has about the same output level as my new RX-A3050
So I'm using my RX-V3900 to power my 4 Height Speakers, leaving the 3050 to just power the 7 ear level speakers. (7.4.4)

(both AVR's rated ~150/140wpc)

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
PioManiac is offline  
post #39111 of 54724 Old 03-30-2016, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 29,297
Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4633 Post(s)
Liked: 4823
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannycruz23 View Post
i have the marantz sr7010 , already i have it set up as 7.1.2, i need to add another set of dolby atmos speakers, i see that in here some advice to get the audio source amp100 pa, (that a 50 watts per channel) to use it to add that extra pair of dolby. how many watts i need for the dolby atmos? the marantz push 125 watts at 2 channel driven, so i don't know how much it push for the dolby atmos. when i call marantz they told me to get the pa with most watts the better. but i don't want to have one set with more power than the other set. what should i buy? i have seen russound with a 90 watts per channel pa, and now i see an onkyo with a 75 watts per channel (on amazon) which one you think will work better with the marantz 7010? i have seen also the audiosource pa that here they recommend a lot. (i am on a budget so i need one that not be so expensive due is only for dolby atmos speakers) the dolby atmos speakers are 100 watts at 8 ohms.
It's less about "matching" the internal amps then making sure you have enough power for the application.

If you aren't going to listen at reference levels, and you have a typical 8-ohm, 89dB sensitivity type of in/on ceiling speaker for the rear Atmos channel, 50 watts is probably plenty. It's impossible to make a blanket statement about what is "enough" without knowing the specifics. Also remember that although your Marantz is spec'd at 125 w/ch, when running 9 channels simultaneously at full blast it's not going to put out more than 70-80 w/ch at best due to the shared power supply. So a 50-75 w/ch external amp might not be that far off, especially since not as much power is needed for the overhead channels which are mostly effects.

If you are concerned, then spending the extra to get something slightly beefier (e.g. the Onkyo M-5010) might give you some extra piece of mind.

The ultra budget option is to get an inexpensive used receiver with multich analog inputs, and repurpose it as an external amp. You can often find fairly beefy older receiver rated at 100+ w/ch for $100-150 pretty easily, and then you could even run all 4 overheads off the 2nd receiver meaning the Marantz only is running 7 speakers (leaving more power for them).

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
batpig is offline  
post #39112 of 54724 Old 03-30-2016, 09:59 AM
Senior Member
 
jrogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: MN
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by alamez View Post
What about going from 5.14 and adding front wides instead of rear surrounds
I've only had the front-wides for about a week now, but so far am really happy with them, and do think they add considerably to the immersiveness in my room (which is very wide) - although a much more subtle change than going from 5.1 to 5.1.4 certainly. It's a bummer that the DSU doesn't use them, but when watching native Atmos and DTS:X content (including the various demos/test tracks as well as scenes from Unbroken, Gravity, Crimson Peak, John Wick, TLWH, Minions, etc.) or using Neural:X I've really liked the improved sound stage they provide. Plus, I hate that I can't fit rear surrounds in my theater like so many of the contributors here, so this at least helps compensate

Bottom line, if you have the budget and can't for whatever reason implement rear-surrounds, I'd definitely recommend going with a 7w.1.4 configuration!

Samsung UN75HU8500 TS01 w/SEK-3500U, K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Xbox One; Xfinity X1
Dolby Atmos and DTS:X 7w.1.4; Denon X6200W; Audiosource AMP102; GoldenEar SuperSat 60/60C, SuperSat 50, SuperSat 3/3C, Invisa 525; SVS PB-2000
Harmony Ultimate One; Insteon; Acoustimac
jrogers is offline  
post #39113 of 54724 Old 03-30-2016, 10:02 AM
Senior Member
 
robert ham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 388
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 166
50 watts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
It's less about "matching" the internal amps then making sure you have enough power for the application.

If you aren't going to listen at reference levels, and you have a typical 8-ohm, 89dB sensitivity type of in/on ceiling speaker for the rear Atmos channel, 50 watts is probably plenty. It's impossible to make a blanket statement about what is "enough" without knowing the specifics. Also remember that although your Marantz is spec'd at 125 w/ch, when running 9 channels simultaneously at full blast it's not going to put out more than 70-80 w/ch at best due to the shared power supply. So a 50-75 w/ch external amp might not be that far off, especially since not as much power is needed for the overhead channels which are mostly effects.

If you are concerned, then spending the extra to get something slightly beefier (e.g. the Onkyo M-5010) might give you some extra piece of mind.

The ultra budget option is to get an inexpensive used receiver with multich analog inputs, and repurpose it as an external amp. You can often find fairly beefy older receiver rated at 100+ w/ch for $100-150 pretty easily, and then you could even run all 4 overheads off the 2nd receiver meaning the Marantz only is running 7 speakers (leaving more power for them).
My rear presence speakers are capable of 125 watts, but my external amp is 50 watts per channel into 8 ohms, and it is more than capable to drive the speakers,, I have the amp set at 70% volume, auto turn on, and with YPAO it all worked perfectly..
robert ham is offline  
post #39114 of 54724 Old 03-30-2016, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Defcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,895
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked: 856
DTS won the Bluray war rather convincingly, I wonder how and when DD+ became the preferred streaming audio format and whether its even audibly better? When I watch Netflix on my tv's app (which doesn't support DD+) vs Chromecast, I can't tell a difference and I have a pretty good audio setup.
Defcon is offline  
post #39115 of 54724 Old 03-30-2016, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
meli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ridgewood, NJ
Posts: 618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
It is not a Netflix or Redbox issue, it a decision by Lionsgate to purposely only provide "watered down" copies of their movies to rental outlets... which includes taking away the lossless audio tracks... really a crap move on their part, but probably effective for us home theater buffs that will want the best soundtrack unfortunately...
Though I guess Netflix and Redbox have the option to rent the more expensive retail version of the discs (which include Atmos or lossless audio). I assume that's what 3d-blurayrental.com does.
meli is offline  
post #39116 of 54724 Old 03-30-2016, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 4,171
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1925 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Can you guys tell what sounds are channel-based vs. object-based on your home Atmos setup? If so, what gives each away?
Kain is offline  
post #39117 of 54724 Old 03-30-2016, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ALtlOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Louis Mo "ish"
Posts: 3,349
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannycruz23 View Post
i have the marantz sr7010 , already i have it set up as 7.1.2, i need to add another set of dolby atmos speakers, i see that in here some advice to get the audio source amp100 pa, (that a 50 watts per channel) to use it to add that extra pair of dolby. how many watts i need for the dolby atmos? the marantz push 125 watts at 2 channel driven, so i don't know how much it push for the dolby atmos. when i call marantz they told me to get the pa with most watts the better. but i don't want to have one set with more power than the other set. what should i buy? i have seen russound with a 90 watts per channel pa, and now i see an onkyo with a 75 watts per channel (on amazon) which one you think will work better with the marantz 7010? i have seen also the audiosource pa that here they recommend a lot. (i am on a budget so i need one that not be so expensive due is only for dolby atmos speakers) the dolby atmos speakers are 100 watts at 8 ohms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
It's less about "matching" the internal amps then making sure you have enough power for the application.

If you aren't going to listen at reference levels, and you have a typical 8-ohm, 89dB sensitivity type of in/on ceiling speaker for the rear Atmos channel, 50 watts is probably plenty. It's impossible to make a blanket statement about what is "enough" without knowing the specifics. Also remember that although your Marantz is spec'd at 125 w/ch, when running 9 channels simultaneously at full blast it's not going to put out more than 70-80 w/ch at best due to the shared power supply. So a 50-75 w/ch external amp might not be that far off, especially since not as much power is needed for the overhead channels which are mostly effects.

If you are concerned, then spending the extra to get something slightly beefier (e.g. the Onkyo M-5010) might give you some extra piece of mind.

The ultra budget option is to get an inexpensive used receiver with multich analog inputs, and repurpose it as an external amp. You can often find fairly beefy older receiver rated at 100+ w/ch for $100-150 pretty easily, and then you could even run all 4 overheads off the 2nd receiver meaning the Marantz only is running 7 speakers (leaving more power for them).
^^This^^

Remember, amps don't push power, speakers draw power.
As long as there is enough power available so the speaker can perform in the manner you've requested (how loud you want it to be) then it doesn't matter what the variation in the different amps power ratings, it only comes into play is when there's not enough available power for that given application.
Under normal circumstances, Overheads and Rears shouldn't require that much.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
ALtlOff is offline  
post #39118 of 54724 Old 03-30-2016, 04:21 PM
Member
 
dannycruz23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
It's less about "matching" the internal amps then making sure you have enough power for the application.

If you aren't going to listen at reference levels, and you have a typical 8-ohm, 89dB sensitivity type of in/on ceiling speaker for the rear Atmos channel, 50 watts is probably plenty. It's impossible to make a blanket statement about what is "enough" without knowing the specifics. Also remember that although your Marantz is spec'd at 125 w/ch, when running 9 channels simultaneously at full blast it's not going to put out more than 70-80 w/ch at best due to the shared power supply. So a 50-75 w/ch external amp might not be that far off, especially since not as much power is needed for the overhead channels which are mostly effects.

If you are concerned, then spending the extra to get something slightly beefier (e.g. the Onkyo M-5010) might give you some extra piece of mind.

The ultra budget option is to get an inexpensive used receiver with multich analog inputs, and repurpose it as an external amp. You can often find fairly beefy older receiver rated at 100+ w/ch for $100-150 pretty easily, and then you could even run all 4 overheads off the 2nd receiver meaning the Marantz only is running 7 speakers (leaving more power for them).
ok so a 60 watts will do the work for a set of dolby atmos speakers that are rated 100 watts. i already have one set on the sr7010 and the other set i will put on a 60 watts power amplifier. ( i had seen one of 75 watts, and another of 90 watts) but due your advise i will go with the 60 watts because it will be enough. (marantz advise me to get the one with more watts, i don't know why) then in the future for example if i decide to get like the outlaw 5000 which is 120 watts per channel (all channel driven) i could put 4 of my 4 surround speakers or my 4 dolby atmos speakers on the outlaw and keep the rest on the sr7010. i know other will say to put the center and the 2 fronts on the outlaw and the rest on the sr7010, but i have read that marantz is a warmer pa, and the outlaw is more a cooler pa.
dannycruz23 is offline  
post #39119 of 54724 Old 03-30-2016, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ALtlOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Louis Mo "ish"
Posts: 3,349
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannycruz23 View Post
ok so a 60 watts will do the work for a set of dolby atmos speakers that are rated 100 watts. i already have one set on the sr7010 and the other set i will put on a 60 watts power amplifier. ( i had seen one of 75 watts, and another of 90 watts) but due your advise i will go with the 60 watts because it will be enough. (marantz advise me to get the one with more watts, i don't know why) then in the future for example if i decide to get like the outlaw 5000 which is 120 watts per channel (all channel driven) i could put 4 of my 4 surround speakers or my 4 dolby atmos speakers on the outlaw and keep the rest on the sr7010. i know other will say to put the center and the 2 fronts on the outlaw and the rest on the sr7010, but i have read that marantz is a warmer pa, and the outlaw is more a cooler pa.
Yup, or you can just experiment and see if you notice a difference or not, you'll have plenty of combinations to try since the amp assignments in the 7010 are user configurable.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
ALtlOff is offline  
post #39120 of 54724 Old 03-30-2016, 08:51 PM
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: KC
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbruce13 View Post
I would still recommend adding them as your audyessy will minimize the proximity issue to your listening position to some degree. Others may have a different opinion but with Atmos / DTS-X and Aurora 3D the name of the game is "enveloping" sound primarily driven from the height aspect. You may end up kicking yourself later if you only add 2. Just me though
Ok, I've attached am updated pic of my setup. The listener positioning is accurate (18" from the back wall), and the front heights are already installed (4.25' in front of and 5' up from the LP.) I just want to make sure getting those back 2 height speakers (only a few inches behind the listeners ears) is worth adding.

Second question, is there an Atmos processing difference between setting the heights as TF/TR versus TM/RH?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HT-Atmos-5.1.4 (1).png
Views:	134
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1349594  
tbrown187 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off