The official Dolby Atmos thread (home theater version) - Page 1452 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24939Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #43531 of 54989 Old 01-28-2017, 01:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
Methodical_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 857
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouie View Post
Here's a link to my build thread and a couple of photos that I hope will help. The front and rear soffits aren't up yet and the cantilever hasn't been installed on the side soffits but hopefully this will help. The soffit on the rear wall will be the same as the sides, just installed after the sound proofing treatments.


https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...tre-build.html



I thought of your build when I saw this. Here's a photo of a similar build as yours. Check his speaker placement. This is was I was getting at with using brackets to be able to swivel your speakers for best placement.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...l#post44388481

HT Configuration: 7.3.4 l Panasonic Plasma (65") l Denon X4300H l Polk LSiM 707s, 706c, FXi-30 l Infinity ERS-610 l SVS PB-2000 Subs (2x) l Monolith 7 l Behringer A500 (2x) l Oppo UDP-203 l MH mmf-9.3 l Cassette Deck.
"Never be afraid to try something new, remember amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"
Methodical_1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #43532 of 54989 Old 01-28-2017, 03:48 AM
i2k
Senior Member
 
i2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
Thanks. I'm more than anxious now to get a 5.1.4 installed. I just realized, I may have to upgrade my 3 yr Sony BD player to enable Atlmos.


If your BD player supports HD Audio (all do right?!) it should support Atmos


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_____________________________________
Yamaha AV Reciever RX-A2060
KEF Q Series Speakers (5.1.4)
LG OLED C Series 2016
SVS PB2000 Sub
NVIDIA Shield Gen 2
i2k is offline  
post #43533 of 54989 Old 01-28-2017, 05:21 AM
Senior Member
 
pmeintel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
Thanks. I'm more than anxious now to get a 5.1.4 installed. I just realized, I may have to upgrade my 3 yr Sony BD player to enable Atlmos.
You should be fine with the BD player, I use a 6-7 year old LG and it works just fine. As long as it can Bitstream everything should be hunky dori
gwsat likes this.

"These go to eleven." - Great words from Nigel Tufnel.
pmeintel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #43534 of 54989 Old 01-28-2017, 05:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Jond0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theriddler07sms View Post
You wouldnt do one behind the MLP and one above the L/R?
You mean just a single one in front and in back? Not stereo pairs? I've never thought about that... I didn't know that was an option.
Jond0 is offline  
post #43535 of 54989 Old 01-28-2017, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stef2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,272
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mark View Post
As mentioned, DSU does not support wides, but Neural X does. When you try out 9.1.2, also try 5+wides.1.4 (preferrably with the side surrounds behind the LP). This configuration, at least with Denon and Marantz, is the only one that keeps the wides very active with all content, including native Atmos. Plus you get to keep the 4 overheads.
thanks!
I will try that for sure...the surround back do not help much with anything anyway.

The other thing I will try is to use my older avr (denon4520ci) in parallel and have it running in DTS NEO:X mode to power the front wides only, while letting my newer Marantz amp do 7.1.4.

Last edited by stef2; 01-28-2017 at 08:44 AM.
stef2 is offline  
post #43536 of 54989 Old 01-28-2017, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
muzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: MA. USA
Posts: 4,549
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Why would you put the 4520 in DTS/Neo?

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
muzz is offline  
post #43537 of 54989 Old 01-28-2017, 10:31 AM
Newbie
 
AV_GURU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a problem that Im hoping one of you guys can help with. On my Pioneer SC-LX 701, when I run Audussey in 7.1, it finds my surround back speakers. I added 4 height speakers to get the ATMOS experience. 2 in the front, and 2 rear height speakers. When I run Audussey in 7.1.4, it does not find the surround back speakers. So what I end up getting is 5.1.4, and not 7.1.4. If I leave the settings at 7.1.4 and ignore that Audussey missed them, I still get 5.1.4 not matter what surround setting.

Why is Audussey not finding my surround back channels, and subsequently after the receiver ignoring them too?

Any thoughts appreciated.

thanks,

Mark
AV_GURU is offline  
post #43538 of 54989 Old 01-28-2017, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cdnscg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,685
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by i2k View Post
If your BD player supports HD Audio (all do right?!) it should support Atmos


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's a Sony BDP-S590 and does Dolby Digital / DTS. So I guess I should be okay.
cdnscg is offline  
post #43539 of 54989 Old 01-28-2017, 10:44 AM
i2k
Senior Member
 
i2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
It's a Sony BDP-S590 and does Dolby Digital / DTS. So I guess I should be okay.


Does it do HD audio (Dolby true HD etc)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_____________________________________
Yamaha AV Reciever RX-A2060
KEF Q Series Speakers (5.1.4)
LG OLED C Series 2016
SVS PB2000 Sub
NVIDIA Shield Gen 2
i2k is offline  
post #43540 of 54989 Old 01-28-2017, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
dvdwilly3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Haymarket, VA (metro DC)
Posts: 768
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_GURU View Post
I have a problem that Im hoping one of you guys can help with. On my Pioneer SC-LX 701, when I run Audussey in 7.1, it finds my surround back speakers. I added 4 height speakers to get the ATMOS experience. 2 in the front, and 2 rear height speakers. When I run Audussey in 7.1.4, it does not find the surround back speakers. So what I end up getting is 5.1.4, and not 7.1.4. If I leave the settings at 7.1.4 and ignore that Audussey missed them, I still get 5.1.4 not matter what surround setting.

Why is Audussey not finding my surround back channels, and subsequently after the receiver ignoring them too?

Any thoughts appreciated.

thanks,

Mark
You do know that you only have 9 channels of amplification on board, right?

You have to use the pre-outs and another amp/AVR to power your rear height speakers.

If you do not have another amp, then all that you can ever get is 7.1.2 or 5.1.4.

See page 9, note 7...

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ep...1_BAS_EnFr.pdf

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...-profiles.html

Atmos Dolby 7.2.4; Epson 6040UB; Panasonic UB820; TiVo Roamio; Roku Stick+

dvdwilly3 is offline  
post #43541 of 54989 Old 01-28-2017, 10:49 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I have really nice Energy speakers I got from Best Buy a few years ago. The front ones are big and the kind you can bi amp so I have 5.1 but can do 7.1 if I wanted to. I just bought an Onkyo that can do Atmos. Can I get Atmos somehow with what I have? Or do I just need to buy 2 more speakers for that?
Pat Seguin is offline  
post #43542 of 54989 Old 01-28-2017, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cdnscg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,685
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by i2k View Post
Does it do HD audio (Dolby true HD etc)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When a disc is Dolby True HD, my Pioneer LX701 avr states that's what it's receiving. So I guess the BD player is passing through the True HD.
i2k likes this.
cdnscg is offline  
post #43543 of 54989 Old 01-28-2017, 10:53 AM
i2k
Senior Member
 
i2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The official Dolby Atmos thread (home theater version)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Seguin View Post
I have really nice Energy speakers I got from Best Buy a few years ago. The front ones are big and the kind you can bi amp so I have 5.1 but can do 7.1 if I wanted to. I just bought an Onkyo that can do Atmos. Can I get Atmos somehow with what I have? Or do I just need to buy 2 more speakers for that?


You would need a set of speakers for Atmos either front top firing specific atmos speakers or a pair of ceiling mounted speakers (you then would have 5.1.2)

Also bi-amping speakers is essentially a waste of time (search the forum for that one )


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_____________________________________
Yamaha AV Reciever RX-A2060
KEF Q Series Speakers (5.1.4)
LG OLED C Series 2016
SVS PB2000 Sub
NVIDIA Shield Gen 2
i2k is offline  
post #43544 of 54989 Old 01-28-2017, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
dvdwilly3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Haymarket, VA (metro DC)
Posts: 768
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Seguin View Post
I have really nice Energy speakers I got from Best Buy a few years ago. The front ones are big and the kind you can bi amp so I have 5.1 but can do 7.1 if I wanted to. I just bought an Onkyo that can do Atmos. Can I get Atmos somehow with what I have? Or do I just need to buy 2 more speakers for that?
How many speakers do you have total right now?

You will need either 2 or 4 height speakers. Depending upon the Onkyo receiver you may be able to do 7.1.2 or 5.1.4 or, possibly 7.1.4.

What model Onkyo did you buy?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...-profiles.html

Atmos Dolby 7.2.4; Epson 6040UB; Panasonic UB820; TiVo Roamio; Roku Stick+

dvdwilly3 is offline  
post #43545 of 54989 Old 01-28-2017, 10:56 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by i2k View Post
You would need a set of speakers for Atmos either front top firing specific atmos speakers or a pair of ceiling mounted speakers (you then would have 5.1.2)

Also bi-amping speakers is essentially a waste of time (search the forum for that one )


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Really? I've been reading the opposite so far? WOuld it be better to wire them as 7.1 then? I remember the Best Buy salesman telling me to set my audio to 7.1 because it would use the other pair in the front speakers as the surround side speakers or something.
Pat Seguin is offline  
post #43546 of 54989 Old 01-28-2017, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
Naylorman32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 869
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Hi all,

I am working on installing my RSL speakers into my drop ceiling. Do I need like a metal speaker support bracket above the tiles? I feel stupid for not looking into this prior me installing them lol
Naylorman32 is offline  
post #43547 of 54989 Old 01-28-2017, 11:39 AM
Newbie
 
AV_GURU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Getting 7.1.4

[quote=dvdwilly3;50287145]You do know that you only have 9 channels of amplification on board, right?

You have to use the pre-outs and another amp/AVR to power your rear height speakers.

If you do not have another amp, then all that you can ever get is 7.1.2 or 5.1.4.

See page 9, note 7...

Yes. thanks Willy. I have my two fronts and my center using the pre-outs hooked up to an Emotiva XPA3, so I should have 3 channels to spare no?

Im sure the answer is staring me in the face, I just can't see it.

thanks.
AV_GURU is offline  
post #43548 of 54989 Old 01-28-2017, 11:47 AM
EdQ
Senior Member
 
EdQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_GURU View Post

Yes. thanks Willy. I have my two fronts and my center using the pre-outs hooked up to an Emotiva XPA3, so I should have 3 channels to spare no?

Im sure the answer is staring me in the face, I just can't see it.

thanks.
Can you reassign the front amps to the rears? If not, it won't work.

Samsung 75" UHDTV | Marantz 7010 - Heights | Emotiva XPA-7 Gen3 | (2) AIRCOM T8 | HTPC with Blu-Ray
Front - Polk RTi12 | Center - Polk CSi5 | Surrounds - Polk RTi6 | Atmos - Polk S15 | Klipsch R-115SW | 7.2.4

Last edited by EdQ; 01-28-2017 at 04:18 PM.
EdQ is offline  
post #43549 of 54989 Old 01-28-2017, 12:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Swolern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Upgrade path suggestions?

I currently have the Pioneer SC-85 running 5.1.4. The SC-85 has an extra 2 pre-outs that would need an extra amp to run 7.1.4. Or is there a way to buy another 7-9 channel AVR to have extra channels if I want to increase to 9.1.4 or more later on?

If I go the 2 channel route what amp do you guys suggest?

Last edited by Swolern; 01-28-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Swolern is offline  
post #43550 of 54989 Old 01-28-2017, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 14,826
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolern View Post
Upgrade path suggestions?

I currently have the Pioneer SC-85 running 5.1.4. The SC-85 has an extra 2 pre-outs that would need an extra amp to run 7.1.4. Or is there a way to buy another 7-9 channel AVR to have extra channels if I want to increase to 9.1.4 or more later on?
Your question is ambiguous.

A receiver which contains 9 amplifiers and has a 7.1 multichannel preamp input can be used as an 8 channel amplifier at some later date, if that's what you mean.

However, you can't combine multiple current mainstream receivers to properly decode object-oriented Atmos or DTS:X driving 9.1.4 or more speakers. You can use them to produce "fake" Atmos or DTS:X by using them as matrix decoders, though. See the thread https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...ive-audio.html

Quote:
If I go the 2 channel route what amp do you guys suggest?
The least expensive recommendation tends to be the Audio Source AMP100VS. https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Source-.../dp/B00ZSEFU94 There are many companies selling more expensive stereo amps, of course.
Swolern likes this.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #43551 of 54989 Old 01-28-2017, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stef2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,272
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post
Why would you put the 4520 in DTS/Neo?
Because I want my wides to do the same thing they used to do before I upgraded to ATMOS. I do not want them to reproduce object based sounds, I want them to "widen" my front stage like before. And before, they did it with Neo:X, all the time.
stef2 is offline  
post #43552 of 54989 Old 01-28-2017, 08:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Swolern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Your question is ambiguous.

A receiver which contains 9 amplifiers and has a 7.1 multichannel preamp input can be used as an 8 channel amplifier at some later date, if that's what you mean.

However, you can't combine multiple current mainstream receivers to properly decode object-oriented Atmos or DTS:X driving 9.1.4 or more speakers. You can use them to produce "fake" Atmos or DTS:X by using them as matrix decoders, though. See the thread https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...ive-audio.html



The least expensive recommendation tends to be the Audio Source AMP100VS. https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Source-.../dp/B00ZSEFU94 There are many companies selling more expensive stereo amps, of course.
Thanks for the clarification and links. Thats just what i was looking for! I will probably just get the extra amp you suggested, but the multi-avr link you provided sure is interesting! Hmmm.
Swolern is offline  
post #43553 of 54989 Old 01-28-2017, 09:06 PM
Member
 
kematt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoked21 View Post
.....The $2K system will still sound better than someone's who is non-existent as it's not going to be finished until June 2017.....Just buy what you like and can afford, research some optimal speaker placements and most importantly ENJOY!!!
Entire post well said!
kematt is offline  
post #43554 of 54989 Old 01-28-2017, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
Larry Rosenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 557
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
The least expensive recommendation tends to be the Audio Source AMP100VS. https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Source-.../dp/B00ZSEFU94 There are many companies selling more expensive stereo amps, of course.
I dunno about this amp. Check out the discussion here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...00vs-help.html

I had one and returned it after experiencing a similar result. The failure of this amp actually put my entire plan to add rear surrounds to my 5.1.4 setup - to make it 7.1.4 - on hold indefinitely. (Probably better that way for me as space is at a premium in our home theater setup and my 5.1.4 sounds wonderful.)

-----
2016 Samsung UN65KS9800, UN55KS8500, UN49KS8000
2016 Samsung K8500 UHD BD Player x 2
2016 Samsung HW-K550/SWA-8000S 5.1
2016 Pioneer SC-LX701- AudioSource AMP100VS Atmos/DTS:X 7.1.4

Last edited by Larry Rosenberg; 01-28-2017 at 10:08 PM.
Larry Rosenberg is offline  
post #43555 of 54989 Old 01-28-2017, 10:59 PM
Senior Member
 
stangflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Rosenberg View Post
I dunno about this amp. Check out the discussion here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...00vs-help.html

I had one and returned it after experiencing a similar result. The failure of this amp actually put my entire plan to add rear surrounds to my 5.1.4 setup - to make it 7.1.4 - on hold indefinitely. (Probably better that way for me as space is at a premium in our home theater setup and my 5.1.4 sounds wonderful.)
I have added this amp to my Denon 4300h to go 7.2.4. Has been perfect for the 4 months that I have had it
stangflyer is offline  
post #43556 of 54989 Old 01-29-2017, 01:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mashie Saldana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 2,072
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Your question is ambiguous.

A receiver which contains 9 amplifiers and has a 7.1 multichannel preamp input can be used as an 8 channel amplifier at some later date, if that's what you mean.

However, you can't combine multiple current mainstream receivers to properly decode object-oriented Atmos or DTS:X driving 9.1.4 or more speakers. You can use them to produce "fake" Atmos or DTS:X by using them as matrix decoders, though. See the thread https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...ive-audio.html
Are you sure you can use 8 of the amps and not only 7 as the .1 normally would be hardwired to the subwoofer pre-out?

You can do a fairly proper 9.1.4 setup using two Atmos AVRs, no matrixing involved and no need for extra 2ch amps.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
Mashie Saldana is offline  
post #43557 of 54989 Old 01-29-2017, 02:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
maikeldepotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 1,838
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1449 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Your question is ambiguous.

A receiver which contains 9 amplifiers and has a 7.1 multichannel preamp input can be used as an 8 channel amplifier at some later date, if that's what you mean.

However, you can't combine multiple current mainstream receivers to properly decode object-oriented Atmos or DTS:X driving 9.1.4 or more speakers. You can use them to produce "fake" Atmos or DTS:X by using them as matrix decoders, though.
What do you mean by 'fake'?

I don't know how it works with DTS:X, but with Atmos you only need one overhead pair to extract ALL overhead sounds from the bed channels. So the base level speakers of a 9.1.2 config can perfectly be combined with the 4 overheads of a 5.1.4 or 7.1.4 config. There are no trade-offs in terms of Atmos sound presentation as compared to using one 9.1.4 capable processor.
Mashie Saldana likes this.

A good idea and understanding lies at the base of every successful project.
maikeldepotter is online now  
post #43558 of 54989 Old 01-29-2017, 05:40 AM
Senior Member
 
mgproudfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Few questions about a potential Atmos setup. Current 5.1 equipment list:

Paradigm Monitor 9 v7 fronts
Paradigm Center 1
Paradigm Atom Monitor 7 surrounds
Marantz SR6010
ADCOM GFA-535 2-channel amp
PS4

I would like to run a 5.1.4 Atmos setup but may be OK with a 5.1.2 if it would suit my room better.

1.) I have an un-equal ceiling in my basement, pic below, with the low part carrying our HVAC ductwork. As a result, I cannot place speakers in the low portion of the ceiling.
Q.) Do I have enough room (right-to-left) to have effective Atmos setup? I can place speakers equidistant over the main listening position but the left-most speakers will be right up against the drop-down of the ceiling.

13938617_865383119542_3739058828462143301_n by Matt Proudfit, on Flickr

This is kinda what Id be thinking for an in-ceiling installation. The location front-to-back is not correct unless the locations shown were the front of the .4 setup.

13938617_865383119542_3739058828462143301_n copy by Matt Proudfit, on Flickr

3.) Given the low-ceiling-spot issue, would I be better served to use Atmos enabled up-firing speakers? If so, does my drop-ceiling limit their effectiveness?

13934939_865383064652_6406184422265437669_n by Matt Proudfit, on Flickr

Note, the sub is now placed in the FR corner next to my front R speaker.
mgproudfit is offline  
post #43559 of 54989 Old 01-29-2017, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 14,826
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2845
Quote:
Originally Posted by maikeldepotter View Post
What do you mean by 'fake'?

I don't know how it works with DTS:X, but with Atmos you only need one overhead pair to extract ALL overhead sounds from the bed channels. So the base level speakers of a 9.1.2 config can perfectly be combined with the 4 overheads of a 5.1.4 or 7.1.4 config. There are no trade-offs in terms of Atmos sound presentation as compared to using one 9.1.4 capable processor.
A given receiver is still limited in the number of active speaker channels which it can process. You can't do 9.1.6, for example, without using matrixing for some of the speaker channels. My understanding is that quite a few of the people who've tried multi-receiver configurations with a large number of speakers haven't been entirely satisfied with the results.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #43560 of 54989 Old 01-29-2017, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 14,826
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
Are you sure you can use 8 of the amps and not only 7 as the .1 normally would be hardwired to the subwoofer pre-out?
Good point. I hadn't through it through entirely.
Quote:
You can do a fairly proper 9.1.4 setup using two Atmos AVRs, no matrixing involved and no need for extra 2ch amps.
Maybe I misunderstand the process, but (generally speaking) the way an individual receiver has to phantom image sounds among the speakers which it controls can't be the same phantom imaging used by a receiver driving a different configuration of speakers. Listening to nine ear-level speakers driven by one receiver (with its two overheads disconnected) and four overhead speakers driven by another (with its ear-level channels disconnected) probably works right, but my understanding is that expanding beyond that isn't quite so satisfying.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off