The official Dolby Atmos thread (home theater version) - Page 1514 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24939Likes

post #45391 of 54989 Old 07-10-2017, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1969 Post(s)
Liked: 2657
Quote:
Originally Posted by unretarded View Post
One overlooked aspect to this is the time spent on weapons training and the attempt to make it as realistic as possible on weapons operation.

You can watch youtube vids of him training on courses with pro`s in 3 gun comps etc.

If you pay attention to weapons operation, he fires the correct amount of rounds....does mag changes and does a good job at weapons handling..........not the sort of thing that makes a difference to most in a shoot em up film, but was refreshing to see.

It is the best weapons handling I have seen in a film of this nature.............while a 900 round string of tracers from a 30 round mag makes for good shoot em up action, I prefered the more realistic approach this film used.

Great attention to detail was taken in this aspect of the film.

No whipping out curveballs like the matrix firing upside down while performing a gymastic trick, which is quite entertaing itself, but completely the opposite of this movie.
Many have also noted the outstanding choreography of the fight sequences...
Legairre and gwsat like this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #45392 of 54989 Old 07-10-2017, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Good evening. It's been some time since I've frequented this particular thread, but I'll be re-calibrating my setup in the next day or two and wanted to get confirmation of something that was specific to the two competing (Read: Dolby Atmos/DTS:X) formats.

Does DTS:X still only send height signal information with no bleeding to the base level speakers when set to the FH/RH configuration? In other words, when set to TF/TR, it will not be as "pin-pointy" when I watch an "X movie" as when set to FH/RH?

From memory, (it's been months since I have had time to watch a movie, sadly) I noticed no perceivable difference in regards to height effects on Atmos films (Gravity) when I was using FH/RH; but the opposing option was a very noticeable change when dealing with DTS:X movies as TF/TR (The Last Witch Hunter/American Ultra) The biggest factor was TLWH's test tones, however.

It's not a big deal if it's still needing to be set that way, and especially if it needs to remain that way forever, as I enjoyed it just fine when set to FH/RH (I personally enjoy telling if something is coming from above, so anyone who feels it should "blend", that opinion will fall on deaf ears, somewhat literally haha). It's more a matter of it irking my OCD, since I'm closer to a TF/TR layout by design for my room size. Although, I would probably be considered close enough to FH/RH it doesn't really matter lol.

Just in case it matters, my AVR is the Marantz SR7010. I'm not sure if certain mfr(s) have it set --Restricted-- it this way for some reason, so thought I would share that. Thanks in advance everyone for any help that you can provide!
post #45393 of 54989 Old 07-10-2017, 04:00 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 5985 Post(s)
Liked: 5114
Yes. Still no changes (afaik) with the settings for DTS:X versus Atmos.

You will still need to configure DTS:X playback with HEIGHT and Atmos with TOP for best results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #45394 of 54989 Old 07-10-2017, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

You will still need to configure DTS:X playback with HEIGHT and Atmos with TOP for best results.
Thanks Scott for such a speedy response!

In your opinion, do you notice enough difference to toggle between the two? If so, do you know if when I run Audyssey set to FH/RH, will I need to rerun, each time I want or need to switch to TF/TR?

I'm guessing there's ways to save configurations for each via a PC or something, but for convenience sake, I was wondering if I even needed to run another calibration or would it be able to remember that information.

Lastly, if I don't notice enough or any difference, I should just be happy and stay with FH/RH, right?
post #45395 of 54989 Old 07-10-2017, 04:18 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csbooth View Post
Thanks Scott for such a speedy response!

In your opinion, do you notice enough difference to toggle between the two?
In my opinion? Yes!

I was one of if not THE first one to notice this behavior when the DTS:X update came out for Yamaha.

To me, it is quite noticeable especially when doing channel tests of sorts. Wow is it audible! During movie watching, I found the overhead sensation was moderately lessened and the overall "bubble" of sound being squashed and often resulting in "phasey" sounding effects when overheads were utilized. Now watching something I am unfamiliar with? I might not notice but something will be "off". I've accidentally left my settings as TOP while watching DTS:X titles and would eventually fix it. So it's that noticeable to me, if that means anything to you.

Quote:
If so, do you know if when I run Audyssey set to FH/RH, will I need to rerun, each time I want or need to switch to TF/TR?

I'm guessing there's ways to save configurations for each via a PC or something, but for convenience sake, I was wondering if I even needed to run another calibration or would it be able to remember that information.
Good question. I don't know. I'd ask someone like @batpig who knows the Denon/Marantz eco-system better than I. I want to say a new update came out that allows saving more than one instance of Audyssey curve but.... I don't know for sure.

Quote:

Lastly, if I don't notice enough or any difference, I should just be happy and stay with FH/RH, right?
Umm... sure. Why ask me? Ask yourself. It's not my ears and brain listening to your system.
post #45396 of 54989 Old 07-10-2017, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemg24 View Post
Before I start spending money on an atmos speaker setup and configuring my room in the best way possible I'd like to see if I can get some of its effect with my existing speakers. My sound room is in a small room in my basement, roughly 10 by 13 with an open area on the right side. I have 6" 6" ceilings. I currently have a 6.2 system with large Snell Mains, Snell Bipolars attached to the rear side walls and one small Deftech speaker in the rear. My receiver only allows for two Atmos speakers so I would like to put a pair of bookshelf speakers facing upward on my mains. These speakers are Miller and Kreisel S1 speakers. My other alternative would be to bracket mount these speakers to the front wall and tilt them downward. I would like to hear comments and recommendations. Again realize I am not looking for perfection here just something to give my system some height sound. Thanks in advance for your response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #45397 of 54989 Old 07-10-2017, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post

Of the two options you present, bracketing speakers downward appears the best option. You have a small space, and one of the criteria for good surround is some separation between the speakers. Your ceiling height is also quite low, which also presents a challenge. It doesn't mean you can't get good results, but expectations need to be managed accordingly. Although Dolby recommends conventional, forward firing surround speakers, in my opinion, bipolars can work very well to create a greater sense of space and depth, particularly in smaller rooms. Although it may be more difficult than in a larger room, I think you can get an effective surround presentation in a room such as yours. Good luck!

post #45398 of 54989 Old 07-10-2017, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
In my opinion? Yes!

I was one of if not THE first one to notice this behavior when the DTS:X update came out for Yamaha.

To me, it is quite noticeable especially when doing channel tests of sorts. Wow is it audible! During movie watching, I found the overhead sensation was moderately lessened and the overall "bubble" of sound being squashed and often resulting in "phasey" sounding effects when overheads were utilized. Now watching something I am unfamiliar with? I might not notice but something will be "off". I've accidentally left my settings as TOP while watching DTS:X titles and would eventually fix it. So it's that noticeable to me, if that means anything to you.

Good question. I don't know. I'd ask someone like @batpig who knows the Denon/Marantz eco-system better than I. I want to say a new update came out that allows saving more than one instance of Audyssey curve but.... I don't know for sure.

Umm... sure. Why ask me? Ask yourself. It's not my ears and brain listening to your system.
Thanks for your opinions on the matter. I'm going to give it another listen to soon, and make a final decision. Part of me wants to hear what I'm missing, in a literal sense, but the other part wants to not hear it if it means having to switch back and for between movies, ESPECIALLY if it means running Audyssey each time.

Thanks again!
post #45399 of 54989 Old 07-10-2017, 04:35 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Thanks for your opinions on the matter. I'm going to give it another listen to soon, and make a final decision. Part of me wants to hear what I'm missing, in a literal sense, but the other part wants to not hear it if it means having to switch back and for between movies, ESPECIALLY if it means running Audyssey each time.

Thanks again!

And don't feel bad if that is what you choose to do. As if doing so results in us taking your "AV enthusiast card" away.

Honestly, if I had to be stuck with one setting... I'd probably leave it as the "most used one" too.
Csbooth likes this.
post #45400 of 54989 Old 07-10-2017, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello all! First time posting, so please bare with me if anything I say comes across wrong!

I recently purchased a home that has the benefit of us needing to do some renos.. what a great time to enhance my set up you might think, well so did I!

Right now I'm running a 5.1 set up with an old HK reciever and Mission tower speakers, I love them.

What I'm thinking I want is to wire the house for a future 7.1 set up, and while I'm at it.. add ceiling speakers for Dolby Atmos..

Here's the kicker, most gents are saying You should use at least four ceiling speakers for optimization, yet most affordable recievers only support 5.1.2..

So my question is, what are your thoughts on wiring four speakers to work on the .2 channel? As shown below..

I currently have four ceiling speakers that should be up to the task and am thinking of upgrading my receiver to the Sony STR DN1080 which should be able to handle the power required.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3560_1499732446350.PNG
Views:	110
Size:	311.7 KB
ID:	2228753  
post #45401 of 54989 Old 07-10-2017, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm sorry if this has already been covered, but I got tired of going through all the posts. My speakers are Paradigm Signature S6's which have a curved top, so they are not conducive to placing atmos speakers on them. Can atmos speakers go on a stereo cabinet that sites between the front speakers like in the photo?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Click here for pic of my 7.1 home theater system and here for pic of S2 surround wall mounting.

Click here for pic of my 2 channel system.

post #45402 of 54989 Old 07-10-2017, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I recently went from FH & RH to FH & TM. I found previously very little difference between DSU & Neural X, with an advantage to Neural X being my listening pleasure. I've found no audible difference between Atmos and DTS:X when playing soundtracks.

I switched to the FH TM after moving and mounting my speakers. I ran setup again and played the helicopter demo. With the DSU engaged, I find that the sound stays in the rear surround speakers and above me panning side to side but never to the front. Once I switched to Neural:X, the helicopter swooped over head just fine. I think this is what some other forum members was talking about a few day ago about the time that WONDERFUL LINK was posted for demos!

Samsung JS9500, Samsung K8500, Nvidia Shield 16gb, Denon AVR-X6200W 7.2.4, Emotiva XPA-1 Gen 2 x2, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 3, Klipsch RF-62 II x2, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-62 II x 2, Klipsch RS-52 II x2, Klipsch RP-140SA x 4, Klipsch R-115SW x2
post #45403 of 54989 Old 07-10-2017, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I just added a new receiver to try out the atmos with 2 ceiling speakers added to my existing 7.2 and was b,own away with a movie that wasn't even in atmos. I watched revenge of the fallen and love that the new speakers get sound to them even though it's not on the blu ray thanks to the receiver the receiver somehow just sounds so nice compared to my older one(vsx1120). I'm in the debate if I should just leave my back surrounds as is or move them to the back part of the ceiling. I just feel I need the back surrounds. I always hear them doing work nicely also on 5.1 movies. For now, I'm loving 7.2.2.

Samsung 3D UN65H7150;Yamaha RX-A2070 5.2.4 Atmos/DTS-X
Def Tech L&R Promonitor 1000 Procenter 2000 Promonitor 800 ceilings & surrounds
SVS PC12 Plus-Klipsch KSW150 Sub;Monster HTS 2600MKII Power Conditioner
Oppo UDP-103 Bluray;Apple TV 4th Gen;Harmony Elite;PlayStation 4
AC Infinity Aircom T8;MediaLight Quad Bias Light
post #45404 of 54989 Old 07-11-2017, 05:30 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadolac View Post
What I'm thinking I want is to wire the house for a future 7.1 set up, and while I'm at it.. add ceiling speakers for Dolby Atmos..

Here's the kicker, most gents are saying You should use at least four ceiling speakers for optimization, yet most affordable recievers only support 5.1.2..

So my question is, what are your thoughts on wiring four speakers to work on the .2 channel? As shown below..

I currently have four ceiling speakers that should be up to the task and am thinking of upgrading my receiver to the Sony STR DN1080 which should be able to handle the power required.
That is an interesting idea and I'm sure someone out there has done a variant of this. I haven't studied your wiring diagram to see exactly how it works from an electrical load side, but the concept would be a power share between all four speakers so you might be volume limited.

Of particular note, however, if you have .2 of processing, the most you'd want to double up on the wiring is 2 speakers so that you have discrete left and rights (or maybe front and back). In a true Atmos implementation, all four would be discrete so you would get object imaging between them. The Atmos decoders are forced to a Left/Right decode of atmos speakers in pairs, so if you were to have a pair of Lefts and a Pair of Right, separated front to back, they are both getting the same audio, but dispersing it more evenly across your MLP. You'll get proper left-right object panning, but no front/back panning (which is the case for a regular 5.1.2). I'm not sure whether the boost in the benefit of the extra 2 in a .4 comes from this front/back object decoding (it is certainly part of it), or if it is subjectively more to do with the more enveloping speaker placement and less directional sound.

In the very worst case, you can set it up this way with your budget-friendly AVR, and upgrade later on to one that will do the processing for all 11 channels (for a bump up in price, but there are still non-separates solutions available). Some, like mine, have only 9 amps, so an inexpensive 2ch external amplifier is used to amplify the final 2 channels, but I get a discrete 7.2.4. In your case, you could do a 5.2.4 with this model without the need of an external amp.

[When you do upgrade, though, you'll be rewiring those speakers, so give yourself some play and accessibility to the wires, or figure out a simple way to have both wiring configs available from the get-to with only minimal adjustment through an accessible connector box, or something]

Caveat: I'm hardly an expert. Hopefully you get some other opinions as well.

LG 65B7P
Yamaha Aventage A3060
Oppo UDP-203
PS4 Pro SSD
B&W 600 series 7.2.4 Atmos
post #45405 of 54989 Old 07-11-2017, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Hello all! First time posting, so please bare with me if anything I say comes across wrong!

I recently purchased a home that has the benefit of us needing to do some renos.. what a great time to enhance my set up you might think, well so did I!

Right now I'm running a 5.1 set up with an old HK reciever and Mission tower speakers, I love them.

So, you have money set aside for some renovations, but yet you are going to skimp on the Atmos receiver? Don't put the effort in to install and wire up 4 speakers and then cobble your system together like that. By all means, mount and wire up your 4 ceiling speakers in their recommended positions, but you should be able to find a used or refurbished 9.2 channel capable receiver that fits in your budget and do it right. Don't waste your time with only a 7.2 channel unit that can only process 2 top/height locations when you are one of the lucky ones whose room can support 4 proper ceiling speakers!
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #45406 of 54989 Old 07-11-2017, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
In my opinion? Yes!

Out of curiosity, do you also think Neural:X works better with height configuration or do you leave it set to Tops? I know you use Yamaha equipment so which setting do you feel is better for Yamaha DSP?
post #45407 of 54989 Old 07-11-2017, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2791 Post(s)
Liked: 1756
Quote:

My thoughts are that you should not waste your time or money trying it this way. You will not get the intended result. By all means, install the 4 Atmos speakers, or at least pre-wire, but just save your money and purchase a receiver capable of processing all 11 channels. It's not like you need to buy a new receiver every year, so I recommend not pinching pennies here. Don't jump in just to jump in. The result you seek is best achieved with patience, and investing in proper gear up front, once. You can get an 11 channel receiver and drive all of the channels with one piece of equipment, or a lot of blokes may opt for an amp to drive mains, and then let the receiver handle the "lighter" channels (surrounds, heights).

Just my opinion of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark81 View Post
I'm sorry if this has already been covered, but I got tired of going through all the posts. My speakers are Paradigm Signature S6's which have a curved top, so they are not conducive to placing atmos speakers on them. Can atmos speakers go on a stereo cabinet that sites between the front speakers like in the photo?
I don't know that I'd place them on the cabinet like that, but that's just me. You could pick up a pair of inexpensive speaker stands and place the up-firing modules on those, that is, if you have the space next to your speakers to accommodate them? Just a thought, and I don't know how well that would work either.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #45408 of 54989 Old 07-11-2017, 09:31 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaucom View Post
Out of curiosity, do you also think Neural:X works better with height configuration or do you leave it set to Tops? I know you use Yamaha equipment so which setting do you feel is better for Yamaha DSP?
I played around with this a little bit. Haven't done much more after I came to the conclusion of sticking to TOP for both upmixers.

You should too. Watch some stuff you like and try either setting. I think with an upmixer it is user choice anyway. An upmixer, by definition, is changing the original content to suit it's parameters. It's all personal taste at this point, imho.

Yamaha's DSP modes are not directional with use of steering logic so I haven't even tested that (TOP vs. HEIGHT) at all. Good question though.
gene4ht and gwsat like this.
post #45409 of 54989 Old 07-11-2017, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked: 5938
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark81 View Post
My speakers are Paradigm Signature S6's which have a curved top, so they are not conducive to placing atmos speakers on them. Can atmos speakers go on a stereo cabinet that sites between the front speakers like in the photo?
Atmos upfiring modules don't have to be placed directly on top of a speaker cabinet. The modules can be placed within 3 feet of their respective speaker, as long as they are at/around ear height. The top of your stereo cabinet looks like it is well below ear height, so it is not conducive to placing Atmos modules on it. Maybe you can mount some small shelves on the wall, just above your main L/R speakers.
gene4ht likes this.

Sanjay
post #45410 of 54989 Old 07-11-2017, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I played around with this a little bit. Haven't done much more after I came to the conclusion of sticking to TOP for both upmixers.

You should too. Watch some stuff you like and try either setting. I think with an upmixer it is user choice anyway. An upmixer, by definition, is changing the original content to suit it's parameters. It's all personal taste at this point, imho.

Yamaha's DSP modes are not directional with use of steering logic so I haven't even tested that (TOP vs. HEIGHT) at all. Good question though.
I find it interesting that you choose to leave your configuration as tops for Neural:X but change it to heights for DTS:X. I get that an upmixer changes the source so it is all preference but logically it seems to me that if DTS developed their immersive codec to work best with a height configuration then they would do the same with their upmixer. Since switching between the 2 configs is extremely easy with yamaha equipment and you have tried both, I take it your opinion is Neural:X sounds better configured as tops and not heights.

Does anyone know for sure where the speakers are physically located in a DTS:X mixing room? From DTS:X test signals it seems obvious they use height configuration but I have not seen an actual mixing room to see where the speakers are physically located. As far as I know, all that has ever been posted is a diagram from an unofficial source. Maybe filmixer can tell us about the actual mixing rooms and if they are setup any differently for DTS:X and Atmos.
post #45411 of 54989 Old 07-11-2017, 10:25 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
I find it interesting that you choose to leave your configuration as tops for Neural:X but change it to heights for DTS:X. I get that an upmixer changes the source so it is all preference but logically it seems to me that if DTS developed their immersive codec to work best with a height configuration then they would do the same with their upmixer. Since switching between the 2 configs is extremely easy with yamaha equipment and you have tried both, I take it your opinion is Neural:X sounds better configured as tops and not heights.
Yes, I do.

The reason why it matters for native DTS:X content is because between Atmos and DTS:X, they have their designations backwards. With native DTS:X content, you must choose HEIGHT or else hear the crappy sounding version of it trying to relocate the sounds.

With the upmixer, it doesn't make a difference which one is "correct" and as I have never seen documented anywhere.... that DTS recommends one setting or the other. Even Dolby doesn't.

If logic says you should use a certain setting then by all means...
unretarded likes this.
post #45412 of 54989 Old 07-11-2017, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, I do.

The reason why it matters for native DTS:X content is because between Atmos and DTS:X, they have their designations backwards. With native DTS:X content, you must choose HEIGHT or else hear the crappy sounding version of it trying to relocate the sounds.

With the upmixer, it doesn't make a difference which one is "correct" and as I have never seen documented anywhere.... that DTS recommends one setting or the other. Even Dolby doesn't.

If logic says you should use a certain setting then by all means...
I understand what you are saying and I am not trying to start an argument so I am sorry if I came across that way. I am just trying to have a discussion and learn. I was never talking about anything being 'correct' for Neural:X. After all, it is an upmixer nothing will be correct to the source. As I software developer, I think it is reasonable to think that if someone developed a codec to expect speakers to be in a certain position and configuration for best performance they would do everything possible to ensure that their upmixer sounded as best as it possibly could with that setup.

As you mentioned I have never seen DTS recommend or document anything regarding their codec or upmixer. I think this is a shame. Some official guidelines like the ones for Atmos would be nice even if it conflicted with Dolby's official atmos recommendation. Unless I am mistaken, the document I have seen showing the designations between atmos and dts:x being backwards are not official DTS documentation or recommendations. This is why I am curious how a DTS:X mixing room is setup. As far as I am aware, the DTS:X releases to date have been 7.1.4 channel tracks only and it would be very nice to know exactly where those .4 channels are physically located in the mixing room.
post #45413 of 54989 Old 07-11-2017, 11:13 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
I understand what you are saying and I am not trying to start an argument so I am sorry if I came across that way. I am just trying to have a discussion and learn.

It's okay. You did not. I am also here just tying to have a discussion.

Quote:
I was never talking about anything being 'correct' for Neural:X. After all, it is an upmixer nothing will be correct to the source. As I software developer, I think it is reasonable to think that if someone developed a codec to expect speakers to be in a certain position and configuration for best performance they would do everything possible to ensure that their upmixer sounded as best as it possibly could with that setup.

Understood.

Reasonable expectation but I have found through experience is that in this hobby, there isn't always a correct answer for everything. As mentioned, neither Dolby or DTS recommends a setting for their upmixer. You asked me what I like and I answered.

I briefly tested both settings and came up with my own conclusion. You should do the same.

Quote:

As you mentioned I have never seen DTS recommend or document anything regarding their codec or upmixer. I think this is a shame. Some official guidelines like the ones for Atmos would be nice even if it conflicted with Dolby's official atmos recommendation. Unless I am mistaken, the document I have seen showing the designations between atmos and dts:x being backwards are not official DTS documentation or recommendations.
I see that you are very curious about this. Why not contact DTS and see what they say about it? If you find utility from their "guidelines" then you should seek it out officially.

Btw, the DTS:X documents showing the designations... which are you talking about? A link would help.

Quote:
This is why I am curious how a DTS:X mixing room is setup. As far as I am aware, the DTS:X releases to date have been 7.1.4 channel tracks only and it would be very nice to know exactly where those .4 channels are physically located in the mixing room.
post #45414 of 54989 Old 07-11-2017, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's okay. You did not. I am also here just tying to have a discussion.

Understood.

Reasonable expectation but I have found through experience is that in this hobby, there isn't always a correct answer for everything. As mentioned, neither Dolby or DTS recommends a setting for their upmixer. You asked me what I like and I answered.

I briefly tested both settings and came up with my own conclusion. You should do the same.

I see that you are very curious about this. Why not contact DTS and see what they say about it? If you find utility from their "guidelines" then you should seek it out officially.

Btw, the DTS:X documents showing the designations... which are you talking about? A link would help.

User preferences can and will be different.However, in my experience there is always design intent.

I don't think DTS will give me a straight answer but I will ask them anyway. I realize all mixing rooms are not exactly the same but I would think speaker layout should be generally similar across mixing stages that are mixing to the same format. For instance, I would think that an auro/atmos mixing studio would have the speakers in the same general area they recommend for playback. I am not as much concerned with the precise angle that is used for the .4 speakers in a DTS:X mixing stage but where they are generally located. I know I used 'exactly' but I meant are they on the ceiling in the same area as they would be for atmos.

The DTS:X layout image I am referring to is the one posted in this thread numerous times. As far as I know it is not from any official source. Please correct me if I am wrong.
post #45415 of 54989 Old 07-11-2017, 11:57 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:

The DTS:X layout image I am referring to is the one posted in this thread numerous times. As far as I know it is not from any official source. Please correct me if I am wrong.
There have been several images used before so ...if you can, please link the one you are talking about.

DTS has released no official documents, instructions, white papers.... nothing.

They sure have put out plenty of marketing though.
post #45416 of 54989 Old 07-11-2017, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

I don't have a link and don't have time to search thru the thread right now. I am referring to the one showing height at 45 degrees and tops at 60 degrees.

Quote:
There have been several images used before so ...if you can, please link the one you are talking about.

DTS has released no official documents, instructions, white papers.... nothing.

They sure have put out plenty of marketing though.
post #45417 of 54989 Old 07-11-2017, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked: 504
So I've been brainstorming ways for me to bring my overhead channels closer together on my high, sloped ceiling, more specifically, a way to hang my speakers from the ceiling at a distance of 2+ feet (so hanging down, 2+ feet away from the ceiling) and it finally dawned on me!!

Projector mounts!!

Finally decided on a very sturdy looking mount that comes with a drop length adjustable in the 22-32" range and can be extended via an attachment to much greater lengths if need be.

Hopefully bringing in the overheads closer will give me more of that sense of immersion that the .2 set-up gave me yet still offer the greater localization of .4.
post #45418 of 54989 Old 07-11-2017, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked: 5938
Quote:
I am referring to the one showing height at 45 degrees and tops at 60 degrees.
Those are from a DTS document sent to DTS:X licensees, instructing them on how to set up for trade shows and demos.

Sanjay
post #45419 of 54989 Old 07-11-2017, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 4434 Post(s)
Liked: 5763
Quote:

I assume by "TOP" you mean telling the receiver, in my case a Yamaha 3060, that the speakers are in the ceiling. I also assume that by "HEIGHT" you mean telling the receiver that two of those speakers are mounted high on the wall. If so, then I have been doing the same thing you are, leaving all four of my in-ceiling speakers set for TOP, regardless of whether I am playing a TrueHD Atmos or DTS:X MA soundtrack. I use the 3060's Enhanced, Dolby, and Neural X DSPs pretty much interchangeably, without changing the settings of the four in-ceiling from TOP. It works very well.
Hresna likes this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #45420 of 54989 Old 07-11-2017, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Those are from a DTS document sent to DTS:X licensees, instructing them on how to set up for trade shows and demos.
Thank you. I take it this means DTS:X demos have used speakers on the ceiling and not in the traditional height locations? I have not been to or seen pictures of any demos so I was unsure about that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page