The official Dolby Atmos thread (home theater version) - Page 1620 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26658Likes

post #48571 of 56649 Old 03-08-2018, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy1970 View Post
Another option for @youthman is to go with a center rear if his AVR allowes that. His room looks narrow enough and the wide dispersion of his RS speker should be perfect. Just put one of the speakers dead center in back.
Almost always a bad idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #48572 of 56649 Old 03-08-2018, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoGrabber View Post
Moreso than not having rears at all? One of his options was considering removing the rears all together. I was thinking a center rear might be a better option.
OsoSolitario likes this.

Denon X6200W - Klipsch KLF-10 Fronts - Klipsch KLF-C7 Center - Klipsch KLF-C7 X 2 Surrounds - Klipsch RB-61 II Back surround -OSD ACE850 ceiling x 4 Atmos - Dual HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subs - 4 Dayton Audio BST-1 Bass Shakers with SA230 Amp - BenQ W1070 projector - 106" Antra fixed Screen
post #48573 of 56649 Old 03-08-2018, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Quote:
Moreso than not having rears at all? One of his options was considering removing the rears all together. I was thinking a center rear might be a better option.
I would rather have no rear surrounds compared to having one Center rear.

I did some testing with my system when I put in my speakers in 2004. I experimented with a center rear channel on my back wall. And sure enough, the observations I read in avsforum were correct. Having a speaker directly behind me made it sound like the sound was coming from in front of me.

-T
sdurani and kbarnes701 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #48574 of 56649 Old 03-08-2018, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 7743 Post(s)
Liked: 7048
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
It's also perhaps worth mentioning this: look at the different perspectives (of all the speakers) that someone sitting on the extreme left end of the middle row and the center of the middle row will see. Look how these angles which are being discussed are different for those two listeners. Yet I bet everyone who comes out of that theater will say they had a terrific Atmos experience. I think this shows that, as Dolby techs said way way back in time, 'it's hard to not get a good Atmos experience'. It doesn't seem to be as critical, guys, as some think and millimetre precision isn't needed. Sure, follow the guidelines where it is possible, but if for whatever reason you can't, don't sweat it too much. Do as batpig suggests and get the best angular separation you can and you will get a good, immersive experience. Then put on some movies, sit back and enjoy!
Scott-C, sdurani, richlife and 1 others like this.
post #48575 of 56649 Old 03-08-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks for confirming that. I did have a specifc reason for asking, and wasn't just being pedantic. It kind of bugged me after Atmos came out, that the Dolby documents referred back to 5.1 and 7.1, and claimed "at ear level, as we have always recommended." So it sounded to me like they were trying to rewrite history, for their convenience. Every recommendation I had seen said several feet above ear level (for the reasons you cited), but of course with Atmos that now longer maintains adequate differentiation from ceiling speakers at home. So the sides needed to move down, to accommodate that. Dolby seemed unwilling to admit that fact.
I didn't know that. I don't think I ever read a Dolby guideline before Atmos I always used the ITU diagrams for placement of my speakers, plus some commonsense. Before Atmos I had my surrounds up quite high, and they were tripoles. Always sounded pretty darn good.

Quote:
I agree that monopoles do rule the day now, when it is possible to use them. Unfortunately, in many small(er) HT's there is so little space beyond the end listener in each row that bipoles are often necessary to avoid problems of localization, and excess volume. And utilized by many pro's.
Sure. Mind you, HST, I don't worry too much about the (occasional) viewer in my end seats Most don't care anyway and are still blown away by 'a proper cinema but at home'. Of course, for my seat....

Quote:

From what I have seen, every room designer would agree with that. So much so that I thought I had hard a rumor that Dolby themselves were considering revising their recommendation, because no one was following it.
That seems to make sense. I can't see how anyone with more than one seat in their HT can set the side surrounds at ear height and not cause a problem with line of sight if there's more than one person watching the movie.

Quote:

Well, sure... but then what would we have to talk about?
Haha. Good point.
post #48576 of 56649 Old 03-08-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
A really bad idea. The way our brain works, the sound from dead center rear will appear to be coming from in front of the listener. The exact opposite of what is intended.
post #48577 of 56649 Old 03-08-2018, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
It's also perhaps worth mentioning this: look at the different perspectives (of all the speakers) that someone sitting on the extreme left end of the middle row and the center of the middle row will see. Look how these angles which are being discussed are different for those two listeners. Yet I bet everyone who comes out of that theater will say they had a terrific Atmos experience. I think this shows that, as Dolby techs said way way back in time, 'it's hard to not get a good Atmos experience'. It doesn't seem to be as critical, guys, as some think and millimetre precision isn't needed. Sure, follow the guidelines where it is possible, but if for whatever reason you can't, don't sweat it too much. Do as batpig suggests and get the best angular separation you can and you will get a good, immersive experience. Then put on some movies, sit back and enjoy!
@kbarnes701 , that’s great perspective. Being a neurotic home theater fan does not make this easy, however!

@batpig , yes, I realize I asked a different question there...it just sort of popped into my head while I was pondering your response to my earlier question. Thanks again for all the great info!
kbarnes701 likes this.

Thanks,

Scott
post #48578 of 56649 Old 03-08-2018, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks, @batpig .

I just ran some calculations and it looks like according to the diagram I do have proper angular separation. So that's good.

For the folks not really sure how low their surround speakers should be, I can share my experience.

First, from the main listening position, my ceiling speakers top front are 48? elevation angle. Top rear are 47? elevation angle.

I have adaptive dipoles at my sides. The center of the speaker face is 26 and 1/2 in above the ear. The top of the speaker is 7 feet above the ground. But I figure the calculations are best based on the center of the speaker face. Which is about where the woofers are. I have 10 foot ceilings.

When I first posted about not having atmos, I had remarked in this thread that it did sound like sounds were coming from above me based on my side surrounds. That's because my side surrounds are above the ear, naturally. .

But once I went Atmos, I realize that there is a big difference between having overhead speakers compared to high mounted side surrounds.

I get pretty good separation between sides and top. I can definitely hear when sounds are coming out of my ceiling speakers. Like Mad Max Fury Road on Blu-ray... when the gal fires a shotgun at the rock ceiling. I could hear the Rock and debris coming from my ceiling.

Anyway, I am glad I did not lower my side surrounds. I could have gone one foot lower, then it might be kind of tight for people walking by the seating area. So I left them as is.

Anyway, like the advice given a lot in here, try to get close to the recommendations. It's never going to be perfect. And Atmos really is a cool upgrade.

-T
post #48579 of 56649 Old 03-08-2018, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

I am planning to set up atmos inceiling speakers 5.2.2 is best or 5.2.4 is best? If I wanted to go 5.2.2! Those 2 atmos speakers where I need to install in front of my seating area or exactly top over head or behind the seating area? Please advise perfect position for 5.2.2 HT config. Thanks in advance!
post #48580 of 56649 Old 03-08-2018, 09:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by gakbw View Post
Hello All,

I am planning to set up atmos inceiling speakers 5.2.2 is best or 5.2.4 is best? If I wanted to go 5.2.2! Those 2 atmos speakers where I need to install in front of my seating area or exactly top over head or behind the seating area? Please advise perfect position for 5.2.2 HT config. Thanks in advance!
5.2.4 is best if you’re going to go to the trouble of wiring overhead ceiling speakers to your AVR. If you need to go with only 2 overheads, they should be a bit in front of the seating area as this guideline recommends https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/do...-2-setups.html Pick option 2 for overhead setup.

Last edited by snpanago; 03-08-2018 at 10:08 PM.
post #48581 of 56649 Old 03-09-2018, 03:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've currently have a 7.1 speaker system and thinking of upgrading to 4 atmos speakers. I've read through quite a few pages, but the thread is rather extensive.

I have a couple questions that I couldn't get definitive answers on.

1. How important is it to timbre match the atmos speakers ? I have Triad silver LCRs and Triad dipole surrounds. Hard to justify what Triad recommend for atmos. At about $4K AUD for 4 speakers. (I'd rather spend a quarter of that if possible.) so would something a little cheaper work fine ?

2. Which brings me to angling speakers. Are direct downward facing ok ? Or should they be angled ? Or direct with movable tweeters ?

I've already moved my sides and rears down from about 3 foot above ear level to nearer 1.5-2 foot in anticipation.

Cheers
Jamie
post #48582 of 56649 Old 03-09-2018, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott-C View Post
@kbarnes701 , that’s great perspective. Being a neurotic home theater fan does not make this easy, however!
Well, Scott.... nobody said it was easy LOL

But seriously, it really is hard to screw Atmos up. Overthinking the difficulties perhaps puts many off from trying, and then they miss out on a terrific step forward in home theater sound. Heck, you can get a fabulous Atmos experience with NO speakers on the ceiling at all if you use the upfiring speakers. My advice to everyone is to follow the general suggestions in this thread, which distil down to some fairly simple 'rules', not to overthink it, and then just enjoy all that immersion!
Scott-C, gene4ht and am2model3 like this.
post #48583 of 56649 Old 03-09-2018, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonj View Post
I've currently have a 7.1 speaker system and thinking of upgrading to 4 atmos speakers. I've read through quite a few pages, but the thread is rather extensive.

I have a couple questions that I couldn't get definitive answers on.

1. How important is it to timbre match the atmos speakers ? I have Triad silver LCRs and Triad dipole surrounds. Hard to justify what Triad recommend for atmos. At about $4K AUD for 4 speakers. (I'd rather spend a quarter of that if possible.) so would something a little cheaper work fine ?
Do you use some form of room EQ such as Audyssey or Dirac Live? If you do, don't fret 'timbre matching'. Your EQ system will bring all the speakers into line, following their target curve.

You will be surprised at how little work the overhead speakers actually do, even in a good Atmos mix. I can isolate my floor level and Atmos speakers with a button press on my remote control which makes it easy to listen to just the Atmos speakers - really, most of the time, there isn't all that much going on up there. They are just not working all that hard. I would spend less than the Triads cost and get some decent alternatives that have wide dispersion, per Dolby guidelines.

Quote:
2. Which brings me to angling speakers. Are direct downward facing ok ? Or should they be angled ? Or direct with movable tweeters ?
Angle them towards the listening area. If you think about it, you have been angling speakers towards the listening area ever since you had a HT. Why would it be different just because the speakers are on the ceiling? Would you point any of your other speakers to a random place in the room where nobody is sitting?

I was one of the very first Atmos adopters and have experimented significantly with speakers and placement and angles etc and have come to the conclusion that angling towards MLP gives the best overall result.

Quote:
I've already moved my sides and rears down from about 3 foot above ear level to nearer 1.5-2 foot in anticipation.

Cheers
Jamie
Good call. It is important to get some separation between the overheads and surrounds, as discussed just above.
camd5pt0 and unretarded like this.
post #48584 of 56649 Old 03-09-2018, 05:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

But seriously, it really is hard to screw Atmos up. Overthinking the difficulties perhaps puts many off from trying, and then they miss out on a terrific step forward in home theater sound. Heck, you can get a fabulous Atmos experience with NO speakers on the ceiling at all if you use the upfiring speakers. My advice to everyone is to follow the general suggestions in this thread, which distil down to some fairly simple 'rules', not to overthink it, and then just enjoy all that immersion!
Thanks again. I'm really looking forward to the upgrade. I met with the electrician last night (the pre-wiring will happen in conjunction with a kitchen renovation we are doing) and we notionally determined how to wire for the speakers, and now I think I'm in position to order the stuff I'll need. I built my dedicated HT in 2006 and there really haven't been any significant upgrades since, so the move to Atmos (and 4K/HDR, at some point) is going to make for fun times.

By the way, your HT is beautiful! Edit: maybe the pic I saw is an illustration...not sure if it's finished. But the concept is awesome!

Thanks,

Scott

Last edited by Scott-C; 03-09-2018 at 05:33 AM.
post #48585 of 56649 Old 03-09-2018, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
Thanks, @batpig .

I just ran some calculations and it looks like according to the diagram I do have proper angular separation. So that's good.

For the folks not really sure how low their surround speakers should be, I can share my experience.

First, from the main listening position, my ceiling speakers top front are 48? elevation angle. Top rear are 47? elevation angle.

I have adaptive dipoles at my sides. The center of the speaker face is 26 and 1/2 in above the ear. The top of the speaker is 7 feet above the ground. But I figure the calculations are best based on the center of the speaker face. Which is about where the woofers are. I have 10 foot ceilings.

When I first posted about not having atmos, I had remarked in this thread that it did sound like sounds were coming from above me based on my side surrounds. That's because my side surrounds are above the ear, naturally. .

But once I went Atmos, I realize that there is a big difference between having overhead speakers compared to high mounted side surrounds.

I get pretty good separation between sides and top. I can definitely hear when sounds are coming out of my ceiling speakers. Like Mad Max Fury Road on Blu-ray... when the gal fires a shotgun at the rock ceiling. I could hear the Rock and debris coming from my ceiling.

Anyway, I am glad I did not lower my side surrounds. I could have gone one foot lower, then it might be kind of tight for people walking by the seating area. So I left them as is.

Anyway, like the advice given a lot in here, try to get close to the recommendations. It's never going to be perfect. And Atmos really is a cool upgrade.

-T
I'm glad it worked out for you. I think the standard for measuring speaker height has always been to the center of the tweeter.

Denon X6200W - Klipsch KLF-10 Fronts - Klipsch KLF-C7 Center - Klipsch KLF-C7 X 2 Surrounds - Klipsch RB-61 II Back surround -OSD ACE850 ceiling x 4 Atmos - Dual HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subs - 4 Dayton Audio BST-1 Bass Shakers with SA230 Amp - BenQ W1070 projector - 106" Antra fixed Screen
post #48586 of 56649 Old 03-09-2018, 06:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quick thoughts on ceiling speakers.

I bought some cheapo "E-Audio" ones off ebay. audyssey told me I needed to cross them over at 150 and 120hz. These were actually great for the Dolby Atmos demo clips which seem to use high frequency locatable sounds but I had a subpar experience in actual movies. I just didn't feel they added anything. In hindsight it was no surprise any of the overhead directionals in the 80-150hz were getting sent to the sub where you could locate it!

I've now picked up some Ci 160QR KEF. They've got a Uni-Q tweeter with wave guide for great dispersion. Auddssey says -3db point is 40hz so I can cross at 80hz. I could instantly tell this was much better, especially in Balindo music video (how many of us have seem that video purely because of Atmos?!).

My LCR speakers are B&W 803s/HTM3s. Auddssey helps timbre matching with KEF speakers especially as I sit nearfield and can use Flat as a response.

Lesson of the story is don't cheap out with ceiling modules. Not sure you need much else than a -3db point to 70hz for movies but those KEF's are fantastic value.
post #48587 of 56649 Old 03-09-2018, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
Thanks, @batpig .

When I first posted about not having atmos, I had remarked in this thread that it did sound like sounds were coming from above me based on my side surrounds. That's because my side surrounds are above the ear, naturally. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG].

-T
I'm glad it worked out for you. I think the standard for measuring speaker height has always been to the center of the tweeter.
Recrunched the numbers based on Tweeter height at 31" above ear... Still good with angular separation... With 1 degree to spare .

-T
post #48588 of 56649 Old 03-09-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott-C View Post
Thanks again. I'm really looking forward to the upgrade. I met with the electrician last night (the pre-wiring will happen in conjunction with a kitchen renovation we are doing) and we notionally determined how to wire for the speakers, and now I think I'm in position to order the stuff I'll need. I built my dedicated HT in 2006 and there really haven't been any significant upgrades since, so the move to Atmos (and 4K/HDR, at some point) is going to make for fun times.

By the way, your HT is beautiful! Edit: maybe the pic I saw is an illustration...not sure if it's finished. But the concept is awesome!
Thanks!

Yes it is finished and I have been enjoying some fantastic movies in there for several months now.

I have attached a couple of pics of the room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HT2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	683.1 KB
ID:	2372632   Click image for larger version

Name:	HT3.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	792.3 KB
ID:	2372634  
gene4ht, Jon SS, showmak and 3 others like this.
post #48589 of 56649 Old 03-09-2018, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Quoted: 7355 Post(s)
Liked: 6420
Quote:
But seriously, it really is hard to screw Atmos up.
I've missed hearing that line. Still encouraging after all these years (and true).
gene4ht, gwsat, batpig and 3 others like this.

Sanjay
post #48590 of 56649 Old 03-09-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
I've missed hearing that line. Still encouraging after all these years (and true).
Haha. I think I've used it twice on the same page of the thread just above But yeah - that was what Dolby said right from the get-go and, as you say, it's still as true as it ever was. It's worth repeating because this thread can sometimes get lost in a sea of complexity and it could put some people off trying Atmos. I'd always advocate following the Dolby guidelines where possible, but where it isn't possible, deviation is allowed!

TOW, I just followed your advice here in my HT. I spent a few hours the other day angling the overheads towards MLP. I've had them bang on spec, pointing down since the HT was built. You will recall I am using Tannoy Di6DCs for the overheads, which are spot on for Dolby recommendations and I had them pointing directly down (they have 90 degree dispersion). But I saw a post of yours last week where you made the point that it is odd to have speakers pointing to a random spot in the floor where nobody sits, and we don't do that with other speakers. So I moved mine and yes, I prefer them pointing to MLP. More precision, less diffusion. If anyone is interested I updated my build thread (link below) with the details.
sdurani and gene4ht like this.
post #48591 of 56649 Old 03-09-2018, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1988 Post(s)
Liked: 2691
Quote:

Ditto! Best advice in the forum! Except for the most OCD among us, don't get hung up on a few centimeters or degrees and suffer from analysis paralysis. Per Nike...just "Do It" and get ready for a new immersive experience!
sdurani, richlife and kbarnes701 like this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
post #48592 of 56649 Old 03-09-2018, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Quoted: 7355 Post(s)
Liked: 6420
Quote:
If anyone is interested I updated my build thread (link below) with the details.
Noticed you watched Power Rangers. Atmos mix is courtesy of our own FilmMixer (his mix lets you know right away that you're listening to an Atmos track).
gene4ht and unretarded like this.

Sanjay
post #48593 of 56649 Old 03-09-2018, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4477 Post(s)
Liked: 5830
Quote:
Noticed you watched Power Rangers. Atmos mix is courtesy of our own FilmMixer (his mix lets you know right away that you're listening to an Atmos track).
Sanjay -- I agree that the Power Rangers TrueHD Atmos soundtrack, which was mixed by our own @Filmmaker is demonstration class. I never would have bought the movie otherwise but its wonderful audio has proved to be money very well spent.

I also agree with the statements by you and others in recent posts that it's pretty hard to screw up an Atmos setup. The best policy, it seems to me, is don't over think it. Instead just sit back and enjoy.
sdurani, gene4ht, Ted99 and 1 others like this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #48594 of 56649 Old 03-09-2018, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Looks like I'm now ready to expand to Atmos .4. Been reading here on various setups, and I would like your thoughts on 1) placement of four Atmos speakers given my attached floor plan, and 2) various options for AVR configuration.

Some specifics; I'm planning on purchasing 4 SVS Prime Elevation speakers, and the couch is against the back wall. I'm attempting to create distance from all speakers for optimal effect. I believe the AVR configuration options available will be either a) front height and top middle, b) front height and rear height, c) top rear and top front regardless of where the speakers are physically located.

I see a few options for speaker placement (labels are tagged physical position only):
a) FHL/FHR and RHL/RHR (all at junction of ceiling to wall)
b) FHL/FHR (junction of ceiling to wall) and TML/TMR (above seats or pushed slightly forward)
c) TFL/TFR (above front speakers or pulled slightly towards seating) and TML/TMR (above seats or pushed slightly forward)

I'm hoping to get a leg up from your firsthand experience on positioning - then fiddle with the AVR configuration for best personal sound.

"It really is hard to screw Atmos up." Don't want to be the first!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FloorPlan02_20180309.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	507.1 KB
ID:	2372670  

Marantz AV7702mkII | Emotiva XPA-5 Gen3 | miniDSP 2x4HD for BEQ/BOSS filters
PSA MTM-210 (L/C/R) | Polk Monitor 35B (SR/SL)
Epson 5050UB - BenQ W1070 w/ Panamorph CineVista Lens | Oppo BDP-103
HSU VTF-3MK5 (dual subs)
Seymour Center Stage UF 2.35 AT Screen
post #48595 of 56649 Old 03-09-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snpanago View Post
5.2.4 is best if you’re going to go to the trouble of wiring overhead ceiling speakers to your AVR. If you need to go with only 2 overheads, they should be a bit in front of the seating area as this guideline recommends https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/do...-2-setups.html Pick option 2 for overhead setup.
Thank you snpanago! If I go with 2 atmos based on Dolby link exactly above head 65 to 100 degree angle need to install, And my speakers has tweeter which will tilt. So in that case tweeter which side I need to face Screen side or rear view side or middle ?
post #48596 of 56649 Old 03-09-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Yep. I loved it. The movie itself is nothing special IMO but it is extremely well done I think. And Marc's mix is sublime. As you say, you're only a minute into the movie and you know you're watching an Atmos mix I've watched the movie twice now, so on reflection maybe I enjoyed it more than I thought I had. Second viewing was after I'd re-angled my overhead speakers - if there's a movie that for sure lets you hear the difference, it's this one.
F-n-T likes this.
post #48597 of 56649 Old 03-09-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Sanjay -- I agree that the Power Rangers TrueHD Atmos soundtrack, which was mixed by our own @Filmmaker is demonstration class. I never would have bought the movie otherwise but its wonderful audio has proved to be money very well spent.

I also agree with the statements by you and others in recent posts that it's pretty hard to screw up an Atmos setup. The best policy, it seems to me, is don't over think it. Instead just sit back and enjoy.
+1 Those of us who were very early adopters of Atmos agonised, analysed and spent sleepless nights (probably) worrying about a couple of degrees here and an inch there. You can follow it all in this thread. But then it gradually began to dawn on us that perhaps we really were overthinking it. Never has speaker positioning been such a hot topic. Whereas few, before Atmos, had studied ITU charts and THX charts, moving our speakers two inches to the left or 5 degrees more forward, suddenly angles and locations and dimensions assumed a life of their own. Pages and pages of the thread were devoted to it. One of the diagrams showing 'approved speaker positions and angles) became so iconic it received its own name (the oft-posted diagram!).

I guess it was all worthwhile because for those who came to Atmos later, we'd been there, done that and got the diagram to prove it. So it enabled later-comers to benefit from the angst and analysis and to get their setup sounding sweet with far less pain. The big lesson learned was: (sorry, Sanjay, here it is again) "it's hard to not get Atmos right".
Ted99 likes this.
post #48598 of 56649 Old 03-09-2018, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Thank you snpanago! If I go with 2 atmos based on Dolby link exactly above head 65 to 100 degree angle need to install, And my speakers has tweeter which will tilt. So in that case tweeter which side I need to face Screen side or rear view side or middle ?
Aim tweeters toward the listeners on your seating. Again, if you can swing 4 overheads, highly recommended!
post #48599 of 56649 Old 03-09-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Aim tweeters toward the listeners on your seating. Again, if you can swing 4 overheads, highly recommended!
Thanks snpanago, So I need set tweeter to be middle so that it will point over head of the listener, And Yes! I agree with you 4 over head atoms set up is best, No doubt about it, But again I need to run cables through ceiling to AVR is bit tough, we did not ran pre-wires, So installation cost involved, And also I need to buy 2 channel amp to run additional atmos speakers, because I had Rotel rap 1580 which will support 7.1 channels, But I have already had 5.2.2 set up connected. So need additional amp. Some additional cost involved And I am not sure with additional cost I can see the big difference. But this is not the right group ask this questions, I thinking about to add furman 20 pfi elite power conditioner which is my dealer refereed which will enhance sound and video quality and also provide surge protection, I am thinking adding power conditioner vs 2 more atmos which is the best the option.
post #48600 of 56649 Old 03-09-2018, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
5.2.4 is best if you?re going to go to the trouble of wiring overhead ceiling speakers to your AVR. If you need to go with only 2 overheads, they should be a bit in front of the seating area as this guideline recommends https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/do...-2-setups.html Pick option 2 for overhead setup.
If I go with 2 atmos based on Dolby link exactly above head 65 to 100 degree angle need to install.
Based on my research and understanding, if you ever consider going with more than two ceiling speakers in the future, if it were me, I would put those 2 speakers right over the listening position. 90?. Not 65 not 100. Placing the overheads at 65 degrees or 100 degrees today will put them in the wrong location if you ever want to go with for ceiling speakers.

Then again, you might be absolutely certain you are never going to have more than two speakers in the ceiling. I never thought I was going to have a 4K projector. I never thought I was ever going to get at Atmos. But here I am today with both

-T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page