The official Dolby Atmos thread (home theater version) - Page 1844 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28490Likes

post #55291 of 58863 Old 07-28-2019, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1599 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by niterida View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by niterida View Post
Did you try listening to anything with the Onkyo ? Like I said it didn't matter what I tried with my brand new Marantz 7012 it sounded like crap. When I replaced it with an older Yamaha it didn't matter what I did to that it sounded fantastic. Whether thats because I too had a faulty Marantz mic or not I don't know.

Also try not running Ausyssey and just set all speakers to 80hz and distance of 18' and all the subs to 6'. Sounds counter intuitive but that is how I have mine and it sounds better than ever.

Further to this I just reset the distances so my heights were all just 1' - this effectively delays the sound to them and makes them appear to be 17' further away than my ear level speakers. This has given a much more spacious feel to the sound and has changed it form a bubble of sound with the sounds all coming from the edge of the bubble to a ball of sound with sound filling in the bubble.

So this goes down as another massive improvement to the Atmos effect in my room [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

You mean you are actually getting incorrect timing and not accurate sound? Can hardly see this being a positive? Should leave it with what room correction assigns
mrtickleuk likes this.

Sony 75Z9D (5.2.4) Samsung 65JS9500
Monitor Audio Gold 200(2), Gold 350, Gold 50(2), Gold CT280-IDC(4). SVS PC4000(2).
NAD 758, Anthem MCA-5
Apple TV 4K, Nvidea Shield. Mac Mini (2018). Samsung UHD BluRay and X-Box One X. 14 Sonos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #55292 of 58863 Old 07-28-2019, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirosamsung View Post
You mean you are actually getting incorrect timing and not accurate sound? Can hardly see this being a positive? Should leave it with what room correction assigns

Apparently so

According to the article I linked earlier our brain actually compensates for the differing arrivals and it is supposed to actually sound more natural.
All I know is that it works for me in my room - it definitely sounds much, much better.

Doesn't hurt to try it ...............

post #55293 of 58863 Old 07-29-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 5305 Post(s)
Liked: 4394
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard68 View Post
X box and Dolby Atmos on Netflix Another Life
The sound is distorted and boomy on Atmos sound
I have done a new calibration and it sounds terrible on the Xbox
Until I switch to roku and 5.1 sound it all sounds good again and on UHD discs
The sound from the X box is unlikeable
Another Life has a very bass heavy soundtrack even in 5.1.
audiofan1 likes this.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #55294 of 58863 Old 07-29-2019, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Hi
The sound I am experiencing is destroyed over bassey and sounds very wrong
Will do a complete denon reset and new that calibration
I hope will fix it
You have got ok dolby atmos sound with the x box on this tv show?
post #55295 of 58863 Old 07-29-2019, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 5305 Post(s)
Liked: 4394
Quote:
I don't have an XBox, just a Roku that won't do Atmos from Netflix. I don't disbelieve you that the Atmos mix is overcooked. I was just pointing out that the bass is pretty hot even in 5.1, especially during the opening theme music.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #55296 of 58863 Old 07-29-2019, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Hi yes I like the mix from the Roku in 5.1
It is just my experience, of the Atmos mix is unListenable
Josh Z likes this.
post #55297 of 58863 Old 07-29-2019, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Without digging through all 1800+ pages. Has anyone determined proper speaker height for 7.2.4 atmos? I keep searching on here and read the atmos guidelines. It doesn’t say 100% definitively if surround sound speakers need to be 2ft above ear level while sitting, or can the speakers be at ear level?

I see it’s almost split on opinions as to have speakers ear level vs 2ft above. Just need some guidance as I’ll have my room done this weekend. *fingers crossed.
post #55298 of 58863 Old 07-29-2019, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 6725 Post(s)
Liked: 4931
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlamb83 View Post
Without digging through all 1800+ pages. Has anyone determined proper speaker height for 7.2.4 atmos? I keep searching on here and read the atmos guidelines. It doesn’t say 100% definitively if surround sound speakers need to be 2ft above ear level while sitting, or can the speakers be at ear level?

I see it’s almost split on opinions as to have speakers ear level vs 2ft above. Just need some guidance as I’ll have my room done this weekend. *fingers crossed.
It the speakers are to your sides then the person's head sitting to your left will block the direct sound of the left surround, hence elevated slightly is recommended by most.
post #55299 of 58863 Old 07-29-2019, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:

Definitely ear level. The more separation between bed and height speakers the better.

post #55300 of 58863 Old 07-29-2019, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I’ll play around with heigh then. See! It’s split decision. One says above one says ear level. Lol. Thanks all.
post #55301 of 58863 Old 07-29-2019, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 5207 Post(s)
Liked: 6010
Quote:

As with pretty much anything in this hobby, it depends.

The "official" Atmos guidelines from Dolby state:

Quote:
All listener speakers should be at the same height, typically 3.9 feet (1.2 meters), which is ear level for the average seated listener (as defined in ITU-R BS.1116-1)... If possible, the height of the rear speakers should be the same as the height of the front speakers. If the room design makes this impractical or impossible, the rear speakers may be positioned higher than the front speakers. However, we suggest that the height of the rear speakers not be more than 1.25 times the height of the front speakers.
So first note that the reference point is NOT ear level, but rather the height of the front (LCR) speakers, which should be around ear level (but might not be). But, ideally, the lower level speakers would be in an equidistant ring around you with all speakers at ear level, with some wiggle room to place the surrounds higher if needed.

1.25x the front speaker height translates to around ~1ft above ear level and still being comfortably within the guidelines.

That said, there are real world complexities to having the surrounds all at ear level. For a single listener sitting in the middle of the room, no problem. But when you've got multiple listeners having the surrounds at ear level likely means the sound will be obstructed by people's heads. And if you've got multiple rows with the back row on a riser, "ear level" is obviously higher for some listeners than for others. And back surrounds can be obstructed by people's heads and/or seatbacks.

Then you've got the complication of distance -- in a typical domestic sized room that's used for HT, you might have some listeners positioned very close to the side / rear surround speakers, which creates potential issues with hot-spotting (e.g. a listener sitting in the far left seat who is only 2-3ft from the left side surround and 10+ feet from the right side surround will have the sound dominated by the speaker right next to him/her). So it may be necessary to elevate the speaker and aim it down across the row towards the opposite end to place the closest listener more off axis and prevent obstructions.

Nyal Mellor, a pro HT designer and acoustician, has a good blog on the topic: http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/ten...os-dts-x-auro/

Basically, you start from the "ideal" with all speakers in a ring at ear level, but then you adjust upwards to compensate for issues noted above like multiple rows, listener proximity, etc. So from a "real world" installer perspective, it's not a hard-and-fast rule of "all speakers at ear level" but rather "put the surrounds as low as you can without creating other problems".

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #55302 of 58863 Old 07-29-2019, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 961
Just watched The Doors 4K Atmos disc. This is top 5 Atmos for me! This sound mix is amazing and makes incredible use of all channels. Well maybe not much LFE, but WOW! none the less. All the subtle sounds creating the atmosphere of the room. The sounds one would hear if in an urban environment. The integration of music into the scenes. This just a top notch sound mix.
dfa973 likes this.

7.3.4 Setup---TV: LG OLED 65B7A, Receiver: Marantz SR-6012, External 2-channel amplifier: Marantz MM7025 (Front Towers), Blu-Ray Player: LG UBK90, Fronts: JBL S312, Center: JBL S-Center, Surrounds: JBL S38, Surround Backs: JBL S36 ,Top: JBL S36 (4), Subwoofer: 2 PSA S3000i and one PSA XS-30se
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...&action=hybrid
post #55303 of 58863 Old 07-29-2019, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Hi
The sound I am experiencing is destroyed over bassey and sounds very wrong
Will do a complete denon reset and new that calibration
I hope will fix it
it sounds pretty good on x box to me, i started watching tonite. Since they upped bitrate on netflix, i do get popping noises coming through the speakers on netflix on atmos material only. Non atmos material is ok, and atmos movies on movies and tv app are fine. Also neflix in atmos is fine on my apple tv4k, so thats not it either. Havent been able to figure out what the problem is, even tried reinstalling the app and it didnt work.

onkyo tx nr-787 9.2 channel receiver in 7.2.2 configuration, front L and R and L and R surrounds,onkyo skf 4800 floorstanders; center, jbl studio 235 C; rear surrounds, klipsch rbs51 II's; height, svs prime elevation modules; subs, two klipsch sw-112's;display, vizio m6557 4k uhd quantum display ps4, x box one, ps3, LG up 870 ultra hd blu ray player.;apple tv 4K; google chromecast;senheiser RS 170 wireless cans
post #55304 of 58863 Old 07-29-2019, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
***Spot on with the Sully Atmos soundtrack observation. Do you remember the sound of the engines after the geese strike? The weird aircraft noises? That’s when I started to look for the flight attendant button to find out what was going on. Then I remembered I was in my home theater.
i couldnt agree more! Sulley puts you inside the plane, with all the creaks and vibrations you hear while the plane is flying. Its actually one of my favorite atmos movies; its put to very good use and not overdone, the complete opposite of san andreas.

onkyo tx nr-787 9.2 channel receiver in 7.2.2 configuration, front L and R and L and R surrounds,onkyo skf 4800 floorstanders; center, jbl studio 235 C; rear surrounds, klipsch rbs51 II's; height, svs prime elevation modules; subs, two klipsch sw-112's;display, vizio m6557 4k uhd quantum display ps4, x box one, ps3, LG up 870 ultra hd blu ray player.;apple tv 4K; google chromecast;senheiser RS 170 wireless cans
post #55305 of 58863 Old 07-29-2019, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I cannot find a dolby atmos video on the dolby access app that's present on Windows 10. And I have forgot the name of the video, I only remember what kind of video was it. I need help.

Does microsoft or dolby keep changing the atmos videos found in the dolby access app on windows 10?

Description of video: A couple of years ago there was this snowboarding video on the dolby access app on windows 10, the video was right next to the video named "The Fourth Phase - Alaska" and it had a M83 song 'Un Nouveau Soleil' playing in the background, in dolby atmos.
The Fourth Phase Alaska video is still there on the windows 10 dolby access app but the video I am looking for is not there, and since I can't remember the name of the video, i can't google search to try and download it from some other place.

PLEASE, can anybody here tell me the name of that dolby atmos video, so i can try to google the name and download the video?
post #55306 of 58863 Old 07-30-2019, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry1975 View Post
I cannot find a dolby atmos video on the dolby access app that's present on Windows 10. And I have forgot the name of the video, I only remember what kind of video was it. I need help.

Does microsoft or dolby keep changing the atmos videos found in the dolby access app on windows 10?

Description of video: A couple of years ago there was this snowboarding video on the dolby access app on windows 10, the video was right next to the video named "The Fourth Phase - Alaska" and it had a M83 song 'Un Nouveau Soleil' playing in the background, in dolby atmos.
The Fourth Phase Alaska video is still there on the windows 10 dolby access app but the video I am looking for is not there, and since I can't remember the name of the video, i can't google search to try and download it from some other place.

PLEASE, can anybody here tell me the name of that dolby atmos video, so i can try to google the name and download the video?
Could it be The Art of Flight or The Fourth Phase?
post #55307 of 58863 Old 07-30-2019, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 257 Post(s)
Quoted: 7872 Post(s)
Liked: 7063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry1975 View Post
A couple of years ago there was this snowboarding video on the dolby access app on windows 10, the video was right next to the video named "The Fourth Phase - Alaska" and it had a M83 song 'Un Nouveau Soleil' playing in the background, in dolby atmos.
Fourth Phase was made by the people that made an earlier documentary called The Art of Flight, which sounds like what you're describing (snowboarding video + M83 song), but that documentary wasn't mixed in Atmos (unless Dolby plucked out a scene to remix for Atmos demo).

Sanjay
post #55308 of 58863 Old 07-30-2019, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
As with pretty much anything in this hobby, it depends.

The "official" Atmos guidelines from Dolby state:

So first note that the reference point is NOT ear level, but rather the height of the front (LCR) speakers, which should be around ear level (but might not be). But, ideally, the lower level speakers would be in an equidistant ring around you with all speakers at ear level, with some wiggle room to place the surrounds higher if needed.

1.25x the front speaker height translates to around ~1ft above ear level and still being comfortably within the guidelines.

That said, there are real world complexities to having the surrounds all at ear level. For a single listener sitting in the middle of the room, no problem. But when you've got multiple listeners having the surrounds at ear level likely means the sound will be obstructed by people's heads. And if you've got multiple rows with the back row on a riser, "ear level" is obviously higher for some listeners than for others. And back surrounds can be obstructed by people's heads and/or seatbacks.

Then you've got the complication of distance -- in a typical domestic sized room that's used for HT, you might have some listeners positioned very close to the side / rear surround speakers, which creates potential issues with hot-spotting (e.g. a listener sitting in the far left seat who is only 2-3ft from the left side surround and 10+ feet from the right side surround will have the sound dominated by the speaker right next to him/her). So it may be necessary to elevate the speaker and aim it down across the row towards the opposite end to place the closest listener more off axis and prevent obstructions.

Nyal Mellor, a pro HT designer and acoustician, has a good blog on the topic: http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/ten...os-dts-x-auro/

Basically, you start from the "ideal" with all speakers in a ring at ear level, but then you adjust upwards to compensate for issues noted above like multiple rows, listener proximity, etc. So from a "real world" installer perspective, it's not a hard-and-fast rule of "all speakers at ear level" but rather "put the surrounds as low as you can without creating other problems".
Some will also say set things up for the MLP. Those of us that are selfish. When you think about it, every seat is not going to get ideal sound.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, FireCube 2, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM. B&W PX for travel
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
post #55309 of 58863 Old 07-30-2019, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1457 Post(s)
Liked: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
Some will also say set things up for the MLP. Those of us that are selfish. When you think about it, every seat is not going to get ideal sound.
Agreed. MY money, MY seat. Well, THE seat (because anyone can sit in THE seat whenever they want, I'm not heartless).
pappaduke and mrtickleuk like this.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
post #55310 of 58863 Old 07-30-2019, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
Agreed. MY money, MY seat. Well, THE seat (because anyone can sit in THE seat whenever they want, I'm not heartless).
LOL, First come, first serve. I just happen to be first most of the time.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, FireCube 2, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM. B&W PX for travel
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
post #55311 of 58863 Old 07-30-2019, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 6208 Post(s)
Liked: 9031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

pappaduke, stikle and Augerhandle like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #55312 of 58863 Old 07-30-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
Yes, absolutely. The level of compromise for all the factors I discussed very much depends on how much you care about mitigating issues for the OTHER seats.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #55313 of 58863 Old 07-30-2019, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 677
Yup. That’s why it’s called the “sweet spot” and not “wishy-washy area”.
dfa973 likes this.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo
ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED & WifiHifi Magazines
my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre
post #55314 of 58863 Old 07-30-2019, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 267
The official Dolby Atmos thread (home theater version)

Wondering if @Snooker fish is experiencing immersion issues due to having 6 bed layer bipolar speakers. I’ve seen people use them for sides in small rooms, but I can’t help but think that the Maggie’s aren’t built for the task.

Last edited by Polyrythm1k; 07-31-2019 at 05:18 AM.
post #55315 of 58863 Old 07-31-2019, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
Could it be The Art of Flight or The Fourth Phase?
Thank you. You made me find it. It was titled the 'The Fourth Phase'. The dolby accesss app on W10 had two demos from this movie, one was titled 'The Fourth Phase' and the one next to it 'The Fourth Phase -Alaska'. The latter is still present on the app, the former (which is what i was loking for) has been removed from the app. Dolby was running two different clips from the fourth phase movie as demos in dolby atmos. I streamed the fourth phase movie and the clip with the M83 song i talked of in the last post is there in the movie.
But the streaming version i ran only had stereo sound. There is an itunes downloadable version of the movie but it does not say dolby atmos in the specs. So now here's my next task, i want The Fourth Phase movie in dolby atmos, does anyone know where a downloadable version or a blu ray disc of this movie is available in atmos?
post #55316 of 58863 Old 07-31-2019, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyrythm1k View Post
Wondering if @Snooker fish is experiencing immersion issues due to having 6 bed layer bipolar speakers. I’ve seen people use them for sides in small rooms, but I can’t help but think that the Maggie’s aren’t built for the task.
It crossed my mind as well... however as a 7.2 set up it was absolutely the most realistic engaging and best home theater experience under a 6 figure price tag that I have ever heard.... I came from an all paradigm studio series set up that was OUTSTANDING in its own right...but there is something about the "MAGGIE MAGIC" that is hard to put into words.

I did in fact run AUDYESSEY again using the OLD mic... and...WOW. It actually came up with similar but slightly different crossover/ distance/ and level numbers. still has my height channels 50HZ different in front and back.. but WOW what a difference... The system sounds better.. way better and I am getting at least a good dose of the "3D" effect..and its awesome. still not perfect but im getting a taste....

I am at a total loss as to why the the old mic would make that much difference. but it did... after watching several ATMOS enabled movies and some UPMIXED here are a few observations....

1) The UPMIX can be at times BETTER than ATMOS encoded movies...Kung Fu Panda was terrific and VERY close to as good as any encoded movie!

2) Certain movies are better with the Tru HD. Some movies either ignore the height channels or simply just throw effects up there that are at best just distracting...at worst ATMOS can be too localized and silly...or nonexistent.

3) BUT when mixed/used properly...WOW it really adds to the presentation.... im finding that im am really not digging most action/bombastic scenes as I think the magic of atmos is lost/overwheled in the chaos of it all.. there has been a few exceptions... but generally the best ATMOS ive heard is the demos disc.. but a few movies have come close (especially so since my last calibration).

4)Reviewers REALLY need to do some soul searching before giving every ATMOS disc a 98 score...and should rate the ATMOS presentation to what it ADDS OVER the non ATMOS track.
post #55317 of 58863 Old 07-31-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post
Yup. That’s why it’s called the “sweet spot” and not “wishy-washy area”.
Right, but it's also reasonable for a theater design to make some concessions to make the sound good at multiple seats.

You're a pro with HAA certification (among others), isn't a big part of the philosophy about placing seating / speakers / multiple subs to create a broad "sweet triangle" of sound for multiple seats?

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #55318 of 58863 Old 07-31-2019, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 677
Yes, we try our best to create the widest area possible but I’ve been in too many HT where the distance from the outermost seat to the wall is only 1ft-2ft. In those cases there is no way I’m able to average the sound because it is very close to near-field monitoring.
appelz and Ganymed4 like this.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo
ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED & WifiHifi Magazines
my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre
post #55319 of 58863 Old 07-31-2019, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1599 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by snookfisher View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyrythm1k View Post
Wondering if @Snooker fish is experiencing immersion issues due to having 6 bed layer bipolar speakers. I’️ve seen people use them for sides in small rooms, but I can’️t help but think that the Maggie’️s aren’️t built for the task.
It crossed my mind as well... however as a 7.2 set up it was absolutely the most realistic engaging and best home theater experience under a 6 figure price tag that I have ever heard.... I came from an all paradigm studio series set up that was OUTSTANDING in its own right...but there is something about the "MAGGIE MAGIC" that is hard to put into words.

I did in fact run AUDYESSEY again using the OLD mic... and...WOW. It actually came up with similar but slightly different crossover/ distance/ and level numbers. still has my height channels 50HZ different in front and back.. but WOW what a difference... The system sounds better.. way better and I am getting at least a good dose of the "3D" effect..and its awesome. still not perfect but im getting a taste....

I am at a total loss as to why the the old mic would make that much difference. but it did... after watching several ATMOS enabled movies and some UPMIXED here are a few observations....

1) The UPMIX can be at times BETTER than ATMOS encoded movies...Kung Fu Panda was terrific and VERY close to as good as any encoded movie!

2) Certain movies are better with the Tru HD. Some movies either ignore the height channels or simply just throw effects up there that are at best just distracting...at worst ATMOS can be too localized and silly...or nonexistent.

3) BUT when mixed/used properly...WOW it really adds to the presentation.... im finding that im am really not digging most action/bombastic scenes as I think the magic of atmos is lost/overwheled in the chaos of it all.. there has been a few exceptions... but generally the best ATMOS ive heard is the demos disc.. but a few movies have come close (especially so since my last calibration).

4)Reviewers REALLY need to do some soul searching before giving every ATMOS disc a 98 score...and should rate the ATMOS presentation to what it ADDS OVER the non ATMOS track.
3) spider man: into the spider verse is an example of bombastic done well on overheads

Sony 75Z9D (5.2.4) Samsung 65JS9500
Monitor Audio Gold 200(2), Gold 350, Gold 50(2), Gold CT280-IDC(4). SVS PC4000(2).
NAD 758, Anthem MCA-5
Apple TV 4K, Nvidea Shield. Mac Mini (2018). Samsung UHD BluRay and X-Box One X. 14 Sonos
post #55320 of 58863 Old 08-01-2019, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirosamsung View Post
3) spider man: into the spider verse is an example of bombastic done well on overheads
I have to at least not HATE the movie im watching..lol. I tried to watch AQUAMAN and ooof! I tapped out after about 15 or 20 min. Is there a certain scene in spiderverse that I can narrow it down to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page