The official Dolby Atmos thread (home theater version) - Page 1847 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25404Likes

post #55381 of 55440 Old 08-13-2019, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 31
OK.. the best ATMOS ive heard so far is now DEEP WATER HORIZON.. how this movie isn't on the demo disc and every REFERENCE list doesn't make sense.
dfa973 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #55382 of 55440 Old 08-13-2019, 07:40 AM

Also...MI ROUGE NATION was very disappointing. (strictly from an ATMOS perspective)
post #55383 of 55440 Old 08-13-2019, 08:04 AM

Also something I found interesting.. EX MACHINA was VERY MUCH better when upmixed using neutral X compared to the DTSX. One scene most notable was when the helicopter lands in the field of grass in the beginning...The effect was fantastic with neutralX and merely ok in the DTSX. Found this out by accident but now im compelled to try this with other DTS AND ATMOS movies.
am2model3 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #55384 of 55440 Old 08-13-2019, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by snookfisher View Post
Also...MI ROUGE NATION was very disappointing. (strictly from an ATMOS perspective)
I actually liked that one a lot. Has a great scene where a car hits a guy on a motorcycle and you can hear him tumble overhead as he rolls on top of the car from front to back.
post #55385 of 55440 Old 08-13-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
I actually liked that one a lot. Has a great scene where a car hits a guy on a motorcycle and you can hear him tumble overhead as he rolls on top of the car from front to back.
I found it to be virtually indistinguishable from the 5.1 mix. There were 1 or two short uses or the overhead..but very limited... in fact I had to check to see if I hadn't selected the wrong option in the set up menu...Fallout was much better. … im going to listen to a few scenes using NEUTRAL X upmix just out of curiosity

Last edited by snookfisher; 08-13-2019 at 08:45 AM.
post #55386 of 55440 Old 08-13-2019, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Wolfer View Post
I don't know if it's been mentioned here or not, but there is a French movie titled The Wolf's Call that has an extremely immersive Atmos soundtrack. It's a Tom Clancy-style thriller taking place on board submarines, and the overheads are used often and well. It made me wish that all submarine movies be recalled and remixed for atmos!

It's on Netflix in lossy Atmos, and I've been told there's also a French UHD BD rip with TrueHD Atmos floating around, if you know where to look for such things.
I just watched this on Netflix Australia and there was almost no Atmos effects - it may as well have been 5.1.
And yes it was the French version with subtitles and definitely playing Atmos.
So hard to get any Atmos titles where I am without having to buy Blu-Rays which is a very expensive option over here
Thanks goodness for DSU
post #55387 of 55440 Old 08-13-2019, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 196
yes, some movie mixes Atmos or DTSX they just don't have the overhead stuff; and in those cases, DSU or NeuralX provide a great way for you to hear some cool sounds from your movie!

i just watched Avengers Endgame 4K UHD in Atmos; it looked great in 4k HDR but it also sounded really good!
gwsat likes this.
post #55388 of 55440 Old 08-13-2019, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
Liked: 1264
***Stop whining about the lack of Dolby Atmos correctness. Maybe it's the way the sound mixer and/or director intended you to hear the movie.

Example: just because a helicopter is moving from left to right, overhead - - that doesn't mean that with Dolby Atmos, you should hear the helicopter above you or sounds from left to right. Perhaps the atmospheric pressure was such that the wind was from the "ground up" and therefore no sound was transmitted. Or, it was blocked by a large tree or deflected by a flock of geese that you could not see. Did you even look that close?

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #55389 of 55440 Old 08-13-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by am2model3 View Post
yes, some movie mixes Atmos or DTSX they just don't have the overhead stuff; and in those cases, DSU or NeuralX provide a great way for you to hear some cool sounds from your movie!

i just watched Avengers Endgame 4K UHD in Atmos; it looked great in 4k HDR but it also sounded really good!
Watch the scene from EX MACHINA that im referring to... its more than cool sounds...the neuralX is far more convincing and lifelike than the DTSX. Just kinda boggles the mind that an "upmixed" version of the same scene would be more effective at the selling point of the format.
am2model3 likes this.
post #55390 of 55440 Old 08-13-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
***Stop whining about the lack of Dolby Atmos correctness. Maybe it's the way the sound mixer and/or director intended you to hear the movie.

Example: just because a helicopter is moving from left to right, overhead - - that doesn't mean that with Dolby Atmos, you should hear the helicopter above you or sounds from left to right. Perhaps the atmospheric pressure was such that the wind was from the "ground up" and therefore no sound was transmitted. Or, it was blocked by a large tree or deflected by a flock of geese that you could not see. Did you even look that close?
Then perhaps they should just use mono or stereo tracks then? Why use the cool new format at all if your not going to make the most of it? Kinda like wearing a tuxedo to wash your car.
LawCPA likes this.
post #55391 of 55440 Old 08-13-2019, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Wolfer View Post
I don't know if it's been mentioned here or not, but there is a French movie titled The Wolf's Call that has an extremely immersive Atmos soundtrack. It's a Tom Clancy-style thriller taking place on board submarines, and the overheads are used often and well. It made me wish that all submarine movies be recalled and remixed for atmos!

It's on Netflix in lossy Atmos, and I've been told there's also a French UHD BD rip with TrueHD Atmos floating around, if you know where to look for such things.

Thanks, was a very interesting movie, esp for audio nerds (talking about the content, not the sound).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
For future reference (and just for the sake of clarity), that would be DTS Neural:X, not "NEUTRAL X."

Thanks, I was hoping someone else would crack first

Noah
post #55392 of 55440 Old 08-14-2019, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 361
My side surrounds and rear surrounds (Klipsh RS-3 II shown here) are mounted about 6' off of the floor. This was considerations made 10-ish years ago when laying out a 7.1 system. I've recently upgraded to Atmos and it seems to be ideal for the surrounds to be more of ear level (bed) to get some separation from the overheads. I know there has been many debates in this very forum and I'm not trying to open up that debate again. I can lower them to about 4 feet off of the floor and not impact any lines of sight. The only cost of doing this are the time involved and most importantly the impact it will make in terms of walkway aisle, where one of the surrounds will just be more in the way of foot traffic than where it is right now.

I'd like to hear from someone's experience that intently lowered their surrounds after adding Atmos and what the change was like. Do you feel the change is a must do if possible in the room?

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL/Steam : ScubaSteve2365 - PC = i7-8700k, RTX 2080Ti, DDR4-3200 Ram
My VR Podcast on Youtube - VR Roundtable - Pimax, Playstation VR, Rift-S, and Quest
Theater = Epson 5040UB, Denon x4400, Klipsh RF 7.2, 4-FiCar 18" IB, HTMarket Pembrokes, Aura BassShaker
post #55393 of 55440 Old 08-14-2019, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post
My side surrounds and rear surrounds (Klipsh RS-3 II shown here) are mounted about 6' off of the floor. This was considerations made 10-ish years ago when laying out a 7.1 system. I've recently upgraded to Atmos and it seems to be ideal for the surrounds to be more of ear level (bed) to get some separation from the overheads. I know there has been many debates in this very forum and I'm not trying to open up that debate again. I can lower them to about 4 feet off of the floor and not impact any lines of sight. The only cost of doing this are the time involved and most importantly the impact it will make in terms of walkway aisle, where one of the surrounds will just be more in the way of foot traffic than where it is right now.

I'd like to hear from someone's experience that intently lowered their surrounds after adding Atmos and what the change was like. Do you feel the change is a must do if possible in the room?
I am certainly not an expert. But I did just lower my surrounds from just above ear height to ear height and it did make an appreciable(someone wanna check the spelling) difference. I have Magnepan on wall speakers aimed directly at the listening position. Pans are more convincing and I feel I did get a better "dome of sound" effect. It did bring the sound "closer" to me for lack of a better term. I have to say it was certainly worth the effort and I do prefer the sound this way. The only time I really think it made the speakers more "localized" or noticeable is concert videos. Interestingly...I actually don't notice the rears as much as when they were higher..I think because my theater seats have a high back. I may raise them back up just a bit.
post #55394 of 55440 Old 08-14-2019, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 286 Post(s)
Quoted: 2431 Post(s)
Liked: 3252
Don’t know it this has been mentioned here lately, but if anyone want some good Atmos content, check out the following series on Netflix:
DARK.
ALTERED CARBON.
ANOTHER LIFE.
WU ASSASSINS.

DEMO ATMOS QUALITY!!
And if you are setup for HDR, they also have amazing picture.
And if you are setup for BEQ, they have amazing ULF too.

Recommended

Dual Atmos Receivers - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 8xJBL 12" BOSS - 4xJBL 12" w/SLAPS M12" VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XBox OneX - Apple TV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
Nalleh’s HT
post #55395 of 55440 Old 08-14-2019, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked: 1114
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post
In my experience, yes absolutely.

In my last house I started with the "bed layer" up high so it had a movie theater look. I lowered them two different times after installing my overheads for Atmos and noticed a difference each time (in a good way).

When I was designing my current theater, I started off with the bed layer just above ear level and don't plan on moving them.

Angular separation between the bed and overheads is key.
post #55396 of 55440 Old 08-14-2019, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalleh View Post
Don’t know it this has been mentioned here lately, but if anyone want some good Atmos content, check out the following series on Netflix:
DARK.
ALTERED CARBON.
ANOTHER LIFE.
WU ASSASSINS.

DEMO ATMOS QUALITY!!

Recommended

What's BEQ?
post #55397 of 55440 Old 08-14-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1694 Post(s)
Liked: 890
Quote:
OK.. the best ATMOS ive heard so far is now DEEP WATER HORIZON.. how this movie isn't on the demo disc and every REFERENCE list doesn't make sense.
TRY Helios, a Hong Kong action thriller..
Fury is another immersive mix... you will feel claustrophobic in the scenes where there's dialogue going on in the tank..
Adamg (Ret-Navy) likes this.
post #55398 of 55440 Old 08-14-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
TRY Helios, a Hong Kong action thriller..
Fury is another immersive mix... you will feel claustrophobic in the scenes where there's dialogue going on in the tank..
I have fury on my wish list at 3dbluray.com... still waiting for the 4k SAVING PRIVATE RYAN that I ordered on Friday :-(

Watched TRANSFORMERS last night and it was pretty good (again strictly from an ATMOS point of view lol)
post #55399 of 55440 Old 08-14-2019, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by niterida View Post
I just watched this on Netflix Australia and there was almost no Atmos effects - it may as well have been 5.1.
And yes it was the French version with subtitles and definitely playing Atmos.
So hard to get any Atmos titles where I am without having to buy Blu-Rays which is a very expensive option over here
Thanks goodness for DSU
I saw a BD rip with TrueHD Atmos so I don't know how that compares to the Netflix lossy version, but I doubt it's a different mix. I'll check it on Netflix tonight. The scene that has lots of overheads starts around 18 minutes into the film.
post #55400 of 55440 Old 08-14-2019, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 286 Post(s)
Quoted: 2431 Post(s)
Liked: 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
What's BEQ?
Bass EQ

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...ed-movies.html

Dual Atmos Receivers - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 8xJBL 12" BOSS - 4xJBL 12" w/SLAPS M12" VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XBox OneX - Apple TV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
Nalleh’s HT
post #55401 of 55440 Old 08-14-2019, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
I am certainly not an expert. But I did just lower my surrounds from just above ear height to ear height and it did make an appreciable(someone wanna check the spelling) difference. I have Magnepan on wall speakers aimed directly at the listening position. Pans are more convincing and I feel I did get a better "dome of sound" effect. It did bring the sound "closer" to me for lack of a better term. I have to say it was certainly worth the effort and I do prefer the sound this way. The only time I really think it made the speakers more "localized" or noticeable is concert videos. Interestingly...I actually don't notice the rears as much as when they were higher..I think because my theater seats have a high back. I may raise them back up just a bit.
What kind of speakers do you use for your surrounds? Are the tweeters at ear level, or are they a little bit above with the woofers more at ear level?
post #55402 of 55440 Old 08-14-2019, 01:46 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoosh830 View Post
What kind of speakers do you use for your surrounds? Are the tweeters at ear level, or are they a little bit above with the woofers more at ear level?
They are Magnepan speakers...the tweeter and woofer run vertical to each other (not on top of) so the entire freq. range is at ear height. I have had the MAGGIE surround set up for 15 years (7.2 until recently adding atmos) and it still absolutely amazes me how great they sound.. some more conventional speakers arguably will give a more visceral impack ...but NOTHING ive heard at any SANE price range has been as absolutely realistic as a good MAGGIE set up. I just really wish there was a practical way to get the maggies up on the ceiling
post #55403 of 55440 Old 08-14-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalleh View Post
DARK.
ALTERED CARBON.
ANOTHER LIFE.
WU ASSASSINS.

DEMO ATMOS QUALITY!!

Recommended
I would LOVE to check them out...however I don't believe my Samsung 4k player is compatible with atmos on Netflix?
post #55404 of 55440 Old 08-15-2019, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 273 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked: 8030
Quote:
I would LOVE to check them out...however I don't believe my Samsung 4k player is compatible with atmos on Netflix?
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/64066

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Netflix_ATMOS.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	2603150  

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
post #55405 of 55440 Old 08-15-2019, 06:31 AM

I have none of the above
post #55406 of 55440 Old 08-15-2019, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Klipsch r-41sa?

I have a question about Dolby enabled speakers in general and specifically about Klipsch R-41sa. I recently added 4 R-41sa as atmos height speaker high on side walls and I am now wondering if they were the best choice. From reading up on this subject recently, I have found out that Dolby enabled speakers that are used to bounce the sound off ceiling have special design and filters designed to optimize this specify use of reflecting sound off the ceiling. This is from Dolby

Psychoacoustic signal processing

Based on an understanding of how the brain interprets sound, Dolby Atmos enabled speakers modify select audio frequencies to reinforce the sense of sound coming from above. This filtering is also applied to any sound that may leak horizontally from the speaker cabinet to further amplify the perception of sound coming from above.

Since the R-41sa is stated as being Dolby approved and to be used as either a reflecting dolby enabled speaker or as a height speaker on wall, how can it be optimal for both uses? I see some Dolby enabled speakers have a switch to tell the speaker how it is being used in order to enable or disable the circuitry/filters that modify for use a bouncing sound off ceiling.

Klipsch specs only say "meets Dolby standards" . Does anyone know if this speaker has circuitry/filters to optimize as a dolby enabled reflecting speaker or works as a "normal" speaker with just the angle built in?

Thanks in advance

post #55407 of 55440 Old 08-15-2019, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 4503 Post(s)
Liked: 2566
Quote:
Originally Posted by blb1215 View Post
I have a question about Dolby enabled speakers in general and specifically about Klipsch R-41sa. I recently added 4 R-41sa as atmos height speaker high on side walls and I am now wondering if they were the best choice. From reading up on this subject recently, I have found out that Dolby enabled speakers that are used to bounce the sound off ceiling have special design and filters designed to optimize this specify use of reflecting sound off the ceiling. This is from Dolby

Based on an understanding of how the brain interprets sound, Dolby Atmos enabled speakers modify select audio frequencies to reinforce the sense of sound coming from above. This filtering is also applied to any sound that may leak horizontally from the speaker cabinet to further amplify the perception of sound coming from above.

Since the R-41sa is stated as being Dolby approved and to be used as either a reflecting dolby enabled speaker or as a height speaker on wall, how can it be optimal for both uses? I see some Dolby enabled speakers have a switch to tell the speaker how it is being used in order to enable or disable the circuitry/filters that modify for use a bouncing sound off ceiling.

Klipsch specs only say "meets Dolby standards" . Does anyone know if this speaker has circuitry/filters to optimize as a dolby enabled reflecting speaker or works as a "normal" speaker with just the angle built in?

Thanks in advance

These are more like SVS Prime Elevation speakers than actual "enabled" bounce speakers - regular, slimline bookshelf speakers with a built-in angle for use in immersive height or surround situations. The only issue is that they may not be easily mounted to the ceiling (as one option) like the Elevations. SVS's mounting design includes a free, optional safety bracket add-on feature, so their keyhole attachment points cannot loosen up over time due to vibrations, allowing the speaker to fall off while used as on-ceiling speakers. I went with the Prime Elevations myself, for this very reason.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 08-15-2019 at 09:19 AM.
post #55408 of 55440 Old 08-15-2019, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 1187
Quote:
Originally Posted by blb1215 View Post

Thanks in advance

The sound is processed differently by the AVR, depending on whether you assign them as Dolby enabled or Heights in the AVR's setup menu. The speaker itself (oftentimes the grille) is deigned to reduce off-axis sound when used as Dolby enabled speakers

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
post #55409 of 55440 Old 08-15-2019, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
The sound is processed differently by the AVR, depending on whether you assign them as Dolby enabled or Heights in the AVR's setup menu. The speaker itself (oftentimes the grille) is deigned to reduce off-axis sound when used as Dolby enabled speakers

Thanks, so when used as height speaker then should the grill technically be removed?

If the processing is done in the AVR then why do some Dolby enabled speakers have switch to set which use. Would the AVR then apply duplicate processing/filters?
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #55410 of 55440 Old 08-15-2019, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
These are more like SVS Prime Elevation speakers than actual "enabled" bounce speakers - regular, slimline bookshelf speakers with a built-in angle for use in immersive height or surround situations. The only issue is that they may not be easily mounted to the ceiling (as one option) like the Elevations. SVS's mounting design includes a free, optional safety bracket add-on feature, so their keyhole attachment points cannot loosen up over time due to vibrations, allowing the speaker to fall off while used as on-ceiling speakers. I went with the Prime Elevations myself, for this very reason.

I was considering the SVS Elevations but decided on Klipsch due to I was unsure if I would go with height or just try as bouncy speaker off ceiling to make wire management and install a little easier. I didn't even try as bouncing speaker as I read enough opinions that it really is not as effective as a ceiling or height mounted speaker. I feel they are similar but being used as height, I think the Elevations would have the edge due to being full range. Although crossed over with sub, I am not sure there would be much difference on Atmos height track. Maybe noticeable more on music. I am second guessing myself a little as to if I should have gone with SVS. I believe both are excellent products.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page